main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Iron Fist

Discussion in 'Community' started by Todd the Jedi , Apr 20, 2016.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
  2. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    That's sad. I'll certainly still binge-watch it and judge for myself, but....a disappointment in some way was a matter of time for Marvel and Netflix.

3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Sad to read but they were struggling with even getting it off the ground for years. To be honest, Luke Cage doesn't really need a season 2 either as that too showed signs of struggle. I would very much get behind a Heroes for Hire series after Defenders and just let Luke and Danny play off each other. That may ultimately be the better route.

True Sith likes this.
  4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Iron Fist needs a bigger budget because ideally it's a big globetrotting fantasy, not a gritty streetlevel story. At the very least you need to contrast scenes of Danny's past in the conformist city of K'un Lun with his present in New York, two vastly different environments. It's the wrong fit for a Netflix show, imo.

5. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I wonder are they going to only devote one episode to Danny's past in K'un Lun. Like Luke's episode about prison.
    Matt's childhood with Stick in season 1 and his college time with Elektra in season 2.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Turns out this was the only review we needed after all. At least this got the fate such a story concept deserved.

7. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I also thought Jessica Jones was meh. I couldn't keep interested in Luke Cage. Daredevil, however, has been consistently good IMO.

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I still need to watch Luke Cage. I only got four episodes in before quitting. It's soooooo slooooooow.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm still only six episodes in. It really does take its time but I felt the last 2 or 3 episodes found a good momentum.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I had a hard time finishing Luke Cage. I felt like "Elaine" in the Seinfeld episode where she kept eating some bad sandwiches to get a free sub.

Sounds like I'll be doing the same thing with Iron Fist.

Finn Jones' defense is not really one and doesn't help any enthusiasm for the film. Saying Iron First is made for the fans really limits the demographics of the audience that will enjoy this series, and therefore a red flag that it doesn't appeal to the general audience, which these things are intended to attract. It also tells me that the writers had a tough time in stretching the material into a 13 episode series and probably should have created a solid 2 hour film. I don't see the advantage in Netflix making a 13 episode series as oppose to a 2 hour film or even a 3-5 five episode series. I mean, there's no advertisement revenue associated with each episode and Netflix doesn't release the viewing numbers. Moreover, all the episodes are released at once.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One could be optimistic that, despite the slog that the first 6 episodes that have been reviewed seem to be, that it might manage to turn itself around during the back half. Kinda the reverse of the other Netflix shows starting off strong and tapering off.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I'll be hoping for a payoff for the time committed to watch the series, like a nice set up for The Defenders but I don't think that will happen.

I'm not really familiar with Danny Rand, so at least I'll be interested in the origin story.

14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I think Danny also suffers from the fact that his origin is a mix of Batman, Iron Man, Green Arrow and Doctor Strange.

Dead Parents? Check
    Stranded? Check
    Trains with a mentor? Check
    Rich? Check

Problem is, despite the differences, we've seen the overall origin dozens of times now. So I wouldn't be surprised if those similarities to these other characters (Bruce, Tony, Oliver) just turned off the reviewers.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    But that falls into the "for the fans" defence too, in that it's assumed that the reviewers can't see past similarities. It would be akin to saying a major fault of Batman v Superman was that it felt compelled to retell the origin story. Sure, you got Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Lauren Cohan playing out the Frank Miller variant, but we know it. And people's issues with BvS didn't really include the origin, which got a "do we really need it again?" at best.

No, the issue is probably to do with overall quality. Daredevil S2 struggled with a shambling attempt at cohesion and with the bloated Elektra/Punisher plot. If that is an indication of what one could expect from Iron Fist... yeah. Not the origins.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Iron Fist: Finn Jones Blames Trump for Negative Reactions

I agree with Ender. I believe the critics are commenting on the overall quality of the series rather than the origin/background of the character.

Diggy likes this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah, he's using alternative facts there.

Yodaminch and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  19. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm really saddened by this. Iron Fist has been a favourite of mine since the early eighties, and I've waited years to see a tv/movie adaptation.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So, my binge watching of Iron Fist will start this evening. I plan to watch 3-4 episodes tonight and rest over the weekend. I have low expectations based on the poor reviews it has been receiving, but from what I understand, those reviews are for the first 6 episodes only. So, hopefully the last few episodes pay off and the series is salvaged.

21. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm not surprised that one of these shows finally took a hit. Personally I find them all boring. Yes they have some good plot developments, cool character moments, and scenes but it doesn't add up to a great series.

22. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I've watched episode 1. I thought the writing was very weak, with several scenes playing awkwardly considering I've seen those actors do decent work in other shows. Finn Jones, who I'd worried about from the moment I'd heard of his casting, was surprisingly decent in the lead role and not the weak link I thought he'd be - I hate his hair/beard combo though.

Part of the problem with the show is that they've changed things that worked in the comics, and they've replaced them with... things not as good. The comic gave the reader a reason to hate Harrold Meachum within ten pages or so, making us in lock-step with Danny wanting revenge; in this version I barely care about the bad guy. If you're going to change the material, you need to know what you are doing. Some of the dialogue feels like bad improv.

All that said, so far it's not the stinker that early reviews suggested, it just fails to have anything compelling to its story.

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Marvel is shaky with their television. Daredevil is the cream of the crop, nearly perfect. AoS has always been a bit of a mess, season to season, with some very high and very low points. Feels like a missed opportunity with the resources they have for that show, both in talent and production.

Agent Carter wasn't very good, and from what I've watched of Luke Cage (very recently), it's not gripping television.

Have not watched Jessica Jones yet - it could be great.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah. I'll agree with you there. High highs,but really mundane stretches. I haven't felt like I've missed anything this season. I watched like the first two episodes and haven't gone back.

Wait. What?