main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT The Wind that Shakes the Corley (Celtic Song Challenge) -- COMPLETE!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mistress_Renata, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Medicinal, right? Good for shock? And coughs, apparently; my mother told me that when she was a kid & had a headcold, her grandmother would give her toddies: heated Irish whiskey with lemon juice. :eek: I suppose at the very least it helped her sleep.

Well, Ryas is currently assigned on Corellia, so has no direct responsibility for the destruction of Alderaan. But as an officer of the Empire, what level of complicity does he carry? Something to ponder... And as to what he knows, will he share the information?

Well, I generally like to do 2x a week, which is enough to keep me motivated and seems like enough time for most folks to keep up, since I try to keep the posts to about 2 pp in word (4 days?). This particular story is at 20 pp already, much longer than I'd anticipated, and I'm worried that if I post just 1x a week, I'll be retiring before the whole thing is up!

So...it's a lovely day today & I'm going to post this, then go try out a new muffin recipe. Meanwhile, poor Niall continues to suffer...

He had no idea how late it was when Ryas came in. They didn’t actually share the apartment; it was really too small for two people, and since they weren’t married Niall couldn’t stay in officers’ quarters. But they’d spent enough time together that Ryas had the security codes and a few changes of clothing stashed in the wardrobe. He had insisted that he didn’t want to discuss this on the comm, and swore he’d be coming off duty soon and they’d talk about it then. Niall suspected that his fiancé hoped he’d be in bed and that the topic could be avoided.

The tall young officer paused when he came in, noting the empty bottle of Whyren’s. “You’ve been drinking,” he said.

“I have,” said Niall.

Ryas scowled. “Are you drunk?” he demanded.

“I hope so. Then I can put this all down as the worst dream ever.” Niall felt dead sober as he turned to look at the man he loved. Ryas was frowning at the other glass. It was empty; Niall had polished off what Dannan hadn’t finished.

“Dannan Antilles was here,” he said.

“He told me about Alderaan. Dr. Pocrates asked him to drive me home. He stayed for a little while. I think he was afraid I’d do something stupid.”

“And of course you invited him up.” Niall stood up, and walked across the room to look Ryas right in the eyes.

“Ryas. What happened to Alderaan? They said it was destroyed.” The other man bit his lip, and looked away.

“Yes,” he said softly. “Alderaan is gone. It was destroyed.”

“But…not the whole actual planet, right? It was damaged, like on Jedha. There…there might be survivors.”

Ryas hesitated, staring at the worn carpet. “No,” he said quietly. “It’s gone. The entire planet, just…erased.”

Niall looked at his empty glass, and said, “It was destroyed by the Empire, wasn’t it. Like Jedha.” Ryas’s head snapped up. He opened his mouth, closed it again, then sat down heavily on the couch, drawing Niall down next to him.

“Yes,” he said. “It was destroyed under orders of Moff Tarkin.” Niall felt himself start to shake. Ryas gripped his hands. “It’s okay, it’s okay,” he whispered. But Ryas was lying, thought Niall. It would never be okay again. He realized he was crying.

“Why? Why? Why would they do that? How could they do that?” He was sobbing and Ryas’s arms were around him, holding him close, those long, clever fingers gently stroking his hair. “Why?”

For a long moment, Ryas said nothing. Then, he explained. Princess Leia Organa, the junior senator and the Queen’s daughter, had been secretly working with the Rebel Alliance. A few days ago, the Rebels had attacked an Imperial archive on the planet of Scarif, and stolen the plans for a new battle station. They had passed the plans along to Princess Leia. Tarkin had captured her, only to discover she’d already given the plans to others in the Rebellion. Believing that there was a major Rebel cell on Alderaan that the Princess was associated with, he’d had no choice but to destroy the planet, to prevent rebellion from spreading and to protect the secrecy of the plans.

“But the whole planet--!” Niall drew back. “He couldn’t have thought that the whole planet was associated with the Rebellion! There were children…babies…they were innocent!”

“They couldn’t take a chance,” said Ryas soothingly. “Do you have any idea how many lives would have been lost if they’d had to send ground forces in?” Niall stared at him in disbelief.

“H-hardly any!” he said. “We have no armies! Not even reserves! Apart from the police forces, and they wouldn’t be able to stand up to one legion of troopers, let alone what Tarkin could muster! They could have taken over the entire planet, put it under military rule, rooted out the Rebels—“

“And how many innocent people would the Rebellion have murdered to cover their own tracks? How much collateral damage would they inflict?” Ryas sounded grim. “Do you have any idea how many died on Scarif? They attacked the Imperial archives there, and killed thousands. Archivists, administrators…it wasn’t as if there were any troops there to mount a defense. Half the planet was destroyed by the Rebellion. The destruction they caused will permanently affect the atmosphere…there were tidal waves that wiped out millions of lives, and a cloud of debris that will take decades to settle. It was a beautiful world, tropical…I’ve been there a few times. And now the sun is blocked, most of the vegetation will die and the temperature will be so cold that most of the native life will not survive.” He cuddled Niall against his chest. “Imagine what they would have done to Alderaan.”

Niall could have pointed out that anything the Rebels might have contemplated couldn’t have been anywhere close to as bad as what the Empire had actually done, but shock, grief, and whiskey were sapping whatever energy he had left, and all he could do was lie in his lover’s arms, silently weeping. “It’s all gone,” he gasped. “I’ve got nothing left. I’ve got no one left.”

Ryas kissed his head and cradled him close. “You’ve got me,” he murmured. “You’re not alone. You’ll always have me.”

Stay tuned! More coming!

Chyntuck, RX_Sith, Kahara and 3 others like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Clarification: I did not double-post, I was catching up on 20+ things and I was reviewing this one when Renata updated it, it only showed up afterwards, as a notification. I don't want to edit this comment otherwise, because I was not aware of the February 25th chapter when commenting and I prefer it that way. :D

Regarding your Drall names - you're good. I just add pretentious suffixes, find names that sound good or I translate totally random words - I have Drall characters named "beam", "carpenter" and, most recently, "grater". :p

Now, onto the story...

I want to hear this joke.

Wait...a "pleasure droid"? I don't. O_O

Or maybe I'm morbidly curious, still. :p

The onset of Niall's fear is gradual, believable and one can empathise with him every step of that painful way. :(

Wooooooooow! A brilliant tie with Rogue One and a totally believable nugget of possible Imperial propaganda here. I dig it.

And then...WHAT A PLOT TWIST.

We thought this was a story where one of the lovers dies...but this is a story where one of the lovers is the betrayer and where the ending might be worse than I had thought initially.

*on the edge of the seat*

3. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Darn. I hate it when this happens, though it has not happened before. You posted literally minutes before I was done. O_O

And this was a heavy read. A very heavy read. As somebody who can't stand war - and couldn't even before my country was on the receiving end of that 1999 NATO bombardment, just seeing these two words, "collateral damage", made me throw up in my mouth a little. [face_sick] Knowing that you're twisting plots like there is no tomorrow, I wonder if I should, perhaps, assume that this is not Ryas' fault, that he's brainwashed with propaganda and cut him some slack...

...but I just can't. The very ending of this looks like grooming, almost. At this point, he can't turn out to be a double agent or something like that, this is a song of pain, after all...r-right?

These two bits of propaganda were just masterful.

All I can say is that Niall should look out for himself tonight. :/

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I'm on the edge of my seat, too! Ryas's rationalizations of the destruction of Alderaan are at least as scary and freaky as the idea of him actually being directly responsible. His little 'splanation of the Rebels' attack on Scarif is chilling... especially since we know that the real damage done to that tropical paradise was, indeed, by way of the Death Star. And really, comparing the destruction of an entire planet to the Scarif offensive? Like, really? No wonder Niall is speechless after that.

Even if it turns out Ryas is only indirectly involved—and I'm guessing we'll soon find out wherein his involvement actually consists—this looks very much like it could be the beginning of a serious fissure in these two guys' relationship. Yes, Niall has "got" Ryas—but what does that mean when the latter is complicit (in some still unknown way) in destroying everything Niall ever knew? Even the fact that he's rationalizing it so much is a real red flag.

We're entering some very dark waters here... do keep it coming!

5. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Findswoman is right, we get into dark waters here.

On German TV there had been a film several months ago about an invented terrorist attack. The men kidnapped a passenger plane and threatened to crash down into a soccer stadium full of spectators.

There was also a fictional court case against the pilot and the TV viewers were able to vote for him or against him. They also showed the film in Austria and Switzerland and had the people also vote in those two countries.

The discussion inflamed Germany and its German-speaking neighbour states with rage over a couple of weeks.

I can understand Niall and both Ryas here.

And this is exactly how old Sheev Palpatine planned it all along. A nation split into two tribes and everybody who is against the Empire is the enemy.

6. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    I have to admit that I was hoping at least one person would set their challenge story on Corellia--I even considered including a sentence encouraging that when I was writing the OP, but then decided against it. Apparently, sometimes you get what you want even when you do not ask. And Corellia is a fitting setting in all ways for a take on "The Wind that Shakes the Barley"--but here the stakes for this young couple, particularly Niall, could not be higher, and the pain, the pain--well, I don't know how this one is going to end, but it is not going to end happily.

The story begins with Niall planning his wedding with the man he loves--and then, in short order, he learns that the impossible has happened: his entire homeworld has been destroyed. I think people tend to forget (since the Legendary EU spent years topping the Death Star with one superweapon after another) that nothing like what was done to Alderaan had ever happened before. It was unimaginable, and unthinkable.

It is hard, as a reader, to really imagine what it would be like for Niall--he has not just lost his family (as heroes have in more than a few revenge-seeking sagas), but his friends, and everyone and everything he had ever known. I gather it would be just as difficult for those around him--Dan and Dr. Pocrates do their best, but there is very little they can really do to help. The news about Alderaan would be a shock for everyone, starting with just being able to believe it was true. It would be a nearly crushing blow for Niall.

Then there is Ryas--even in the opening scene, I noticed hints of trouble in their relationship, most particulary Ryas' (completely unfounded) jealous reactions about Dan. It did lead me to wonder if perhaps Niall knew Dan first, and when he met Ryas, they were already established friends and "brothers," but that is complete speculation on my part. I don't think that Ryas has any actual responsibility in any way for what happened to Alderaan, besides the obvious fact that he is stationed on Corellia. He's just one of the peons being fed a diet of propaganda--he may even be quoting the official briefs he was given. But regardless, he is still a part of an evil organization. He knows enough, even through the smoke and mirrors, to where he should have that much figured out.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about Ryas--and if so, I'm sure I shall find out soon. But whatever happens, I do not have a good feeling about this.

Oh, and finally, thank you for writing this for the challenge!

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Ack! I totally fell behind. I'm on mobile so this will be regrettably short, but AHHHHHH! Alderaan. Niall's reaction, the denial followed by the grief and anger. It feels so real for such an event we have never seen. Loved the details about the House of Antilles.

Also
    CAN YOU BLAME THE GUY

8. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I always have such smart readers. You all pick up on so many subtleties! Some that I don't even realize I've put in. [face_love] you all, even the Loyal Lurkers who don't actually post. I know you're out there. Love you, too!

Yes, they both only know what they've heard, with no way to confirm it. I am not sure Palpy meant to unite the Galaxy against him, but that is what he is doing!

Thanks, Findswoman and Ewok Poet! Yes, I sort of felt that the only source of information is the "official channels," and of course they're not going to tell the whole truth. But if people are only getting pieces of the truth, or outright 'fake news', how can they process the information? And since Ryas has so much invested, he almost has to buy in to the 'spin,' to live with himself. Like that poor guy from Lost Stars.

That was part of my thinking too, Pandora. If someone came to me and said someone had destroyed Mars, or bombed Australia off the face of the Earth, I don't think I'd believe them either, because my knowledge base says that "Earth has no weapons capable of this." I do think the EU authors got a little lazy with "yet another ginormous, worse-than-the-Death-Star superdestructoweapon!" They wanted to ramp up the stakes, but it did get a bit ridiculous after a while. One piece of canon I'm rather glad is gone.

Not entirely sure he's figured it out, or if he's ready to face it...but...we'll see! :)

Well, you've got a lot on your plate, so it's easy to fall behind. :) No, I don't blame him. Whyren's-by-the-bottle is not what I suggest as a long-term coping strategy, but I don't think it will hurt for one night. Of course...one has to face the next morning!

The door alarm was what woke him the next morning. Niall groaned. It was bad enough that his head was being shattered from within, and his stomach was ready to empty itself, even though there was nothing in it. He fought his way out of the sheets. Ryas must have undressed him and gotten him into bed. He staggered out of the sleeping alcove to the door and punched it open. Whoever was on the other side was pounding on it. It felt like the pounding in his head. “What?!” he demanded. “What do you want?”

Dan was on the other side. “Well person check,” he said. “Dr. Pocrates left multiple messages. You didn’t answer.”

“At this hour of the morning?”

Dan shook his head. “It’s past lunchtime.”

Niall blinked. He realized that Ryas had tidied up, and polarized the window controls to keep the room dim. It was easier to sleep that way. He went over and hit the button. “AAAargh!” Bright sunlight flooded the room, searing his eyes. He closed them, and blindly swiped at the controls, hoping to switch it off again.

Dan shook his head. “How much did you drink last night?”

“As much as I could.” Slowly, he opened his eyes again. The light was still blinding, but he was beginning to adjust. He looked down at himself, wearing only underwear. “Maybe I should put some clothes on.”

“That would be good.” Dan looked around again. “So. You’re alive, you’re not planning to do anything stupid, are you? So as soon as you have some solid food in your stomach, call the doc and let him know you’re okay. I’ll report that all is well.”

Niall grabbed a tunic from the sleep alcove and threw it over his head. “I thought you fellows only did well person checks after a few days without contact.”

“Technically, yes, but this is Dr. Pocrates we’re talking about here. He’s very…determined.”

Niall snorted and ducked in to the ‘fresher to relieve himself. “That’s one way to put it.”

“So…you’re okay, then? Only I’ve got to get back to work. Lots of things going on in the city, a lot of unhappy people. Between the Senate and Alderaan…”

“Dan…” Niall hit the purge control, and walked back to the living area. “Alderaan was destroyed by the Empire. Just like Jedha. By order of Grand Moff Tarkin.” Dan blinked at him.

“Jedha? NiJedha was destroyed in a mining accident. That’s what we were told.”

Niall shook his head. “That’s what everyone was told, but Ryas said that it was destroyed by the Empire. There was supposedly a Rebel base there. They destroyed the city to take out the base. Just like Alderaan. He told me last night.”

“There was a Rebel base on Alderaan?”

“Not a base, but…he said there was some proof that the Royal family were working with the Rebellion. They destroyed the planet to prevent the activity from spreading.”

Dan was staring. “Wait,” he said, propping his hands on his hips, “the Empire destroyed an entire planet of people because a few of them were working with the Rebellion?” Niall nodded. “That makes no sense!”

“No,” said Niall softly. He looked at the picture of his parents. “No, it doesn’t.”

Dan’s commlink chirped. “4613,” he responded.

“Code Gray, 14-12-60 at Perrik and Marbley,” said the dispatcher. “Officer needs assistance.”

“Copy that, on my way.” He looked at Niall. “Are you okay, then?”

“Yes, I’ll call Dr. Pocrates.”

“Thanks. Oh…there’s a candlelight vigil tonight at Embarkation Plaza,” said Dan. “We’re scheduled for late duty, just to make sure there’s no trouble, but it’s supposed to be peaceful. A memorial for Alderaan. If you’re interested.”

“I’ll think about it. Thanks.” Dan nodded, took one last quick, professional look around, then disappeared. Niall found a flimsinote on the counter in the kitchen, in his lover’s handwriting.

Left breakfast in stasis. Have to work late tonight. Will talk to you later. Love you. Call me if you need to talk. –R

He opened the top of the stasis chamber, used to keep foods hot or cold until serving time. There was a cup of caff and a bag with a big creambun from the pastry shop around the corner. He devoured it, and drank the caff, which was still hot. For a moment, he waited to see if his stomach would rebel. It didn’t. It actually helped. He opened up the cooler, drank a bottle of sunfruit juice, then took a small vial of serazin, a mild analgesic.

He moved around then, making up the bed, washing up, using the depilatory on his beard, getting dressed. He checked the comm station. Seven messages from Dr. Pocrates, five messages from Silaris Iolan, a few from other friends and colleagues, four from Dan, including the last which said he was on the way over, and two from Ryas, just checking in. There were no calls from his family.

After a short quick call to Pocrates, to reassure him, Niall went out, surprised to find he was still hungry, and headed to a Chattatuk noodlehouse a few blocks away. Nothing like noodles to fix a hangover. It was strange that life was going on. He saw people walking back and forth, going in and out of shops, stopping for snacks, chatting with each other. A few birds on the sidewalk, looking for crumbs. He had lost everything he loved most, his life had been destroyed, but the galaxy went on as if nothing had happened. He paused in front of a boutique. He’d never gone in, since it sold clothing for women. The owner was an Alderaanian woman, who had married a local. Her designs had the aesthetic of his homeworld, elegant, refined lines and soft, subdued colors, but with the practical cuts preferred by the local women. He’d always liked to check the window to see her latest looks on display, even though there was nothing he’d buy.

The store was closed, though. He did notice, on the doorstep, several bouquets of flowers, and a few candles, with notes scribbled and attached. Our thoughts are with you…we pray for Alderaan…You are in our thoughts…Be strong…Today we are all Alderaani…

Niall caught his breath and stepped back. The galaxy went on, life went on…and yet the loss was acknowledged. It wasn’t just his private pain. There were others, survivors like him, who were in pain, too, trying to cope… and like him, they had friends who were not directly affected but who felt pain on their behalf. We are not alone. That thought actually was comforting.

Chyntuck, RX_Sith, Kahara and 5 others like this.
  9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Loved reading the unseen actions of Ryas. He loves Niall. And Niall does have a wide support system, with Dan and Dr. Pocrates which is nice to see.

Ack. So simple, but really a huge gut punch. I think most of us can relate to that feeling of just wanting that call or email, but knowing will never come. I love this moment of reliability in a situation none of us can really relate to.

Then that tinge of hope at the end. That was really great. The feeling of not being alone can be so powerful in the darkest moments.

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Well, that was...chilling.

I am still not clear about Ryas' intentions here and I'm creeped out. He could have committed marital rape here and his "helpful" darkening of the room for Niall to sleep longer...well, was it helpful at all? And that hangover, the "boy who cried wolf" tactic that his lover apparently employed here...wow. Telling him the truth and then, when he shares it with others, he sounds like he's mad. :( I am really worried about the prospect of Niall being locked up here or something.

The writing on that store reminded me of WWII. And knowing what would've happened to a Jew who had done such a thing, I am worried about the Alderaani woman, too. Same for whoever visits the candlelight vigil. Corellia might be a tad more liberal, but that's like...a perfect opportunity for the Imps to get rid of potential Rebels. :/

11. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    “Dan…” Niall hit the purge control, and walked back to the living area. “Alderaan was destroyed by the Empire. Just like Jedha. By order of Grand Moff Tarkin.” Dan blinked at him.

“Jedha? NiJedha was destroyed in a mining accident. That’s what we were told.”

Niall shook his head. “That’s what everyone was told, but Ryas said that it was destroyed by the Empire. There was supposedly a Rebel base there. They destroyed the city to take out the base. Just like Alderaan. He told me last night.”

“There was a Rebel base on Alderaan?”

“Not a base, but…he said there was some proof that the Royal family were working with the Rebellion. They destroyed the planet to prevent the activity from spreading.”

Dan was staring. “Wait,” he said, propping his hands on his hips, “the Empire destroyed an entire planet of people because a few of them were working with the Rebellion?” Niall nodded. “That makes no sense!”

“No,” said Niall softly. He looked at the picture of his parents. “No, it doesn’t.”

This conversation makes clear that the Tarkin Doctrine has a major flaw and therefore no future.

What I found touching were the flowers and condolences in front of the flower shop. This reminded me so much of the candles, flowers & notes here in Berlin at the Breitscheidplatz.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  12. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hmmm. It's hard to tell here just what Ryas's intentions are with all those "helpful" things he did for Niall. He could be genuinely trying to help him get some rest, or he could be trying to keep him from finding something out too soon. In any case, the "working late" definitely sounds suspicious. I am wondering, too, if the "officer needs assistance" commlink message that Dan gets at this point is more than just color, and might indeed portend something too. [face_thinking]

I absolutely can't imagine what Niall is feeling as he sees all those people going by on their regular, everyday business, as if nothing had ever happened, after he's lost everyone and everything. Well, I can sort of imagine—it must feel a bit like a colossal punch in the stomach., at very least :( I'm glad at least that he manages to find that one small ray of hope at the end, the knowledge that he's not the only one who's lost and suffered so much. But I also seriously wonder how long that ray of hope will last... more soon, please, because the suspense is driving me batty! :p

13. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Well, this continues to be both awful and lovely and heartbreaking all at once. :(

Niall's heartbreak and grief continued to be very believably conveyed. Just . . . the sheer scope of the propaganda on the Empire's par is mind-bogglingt, and the way Ryas bought into it so easily was chilling. He seems like a good man caught in a nest of lies, and it's all the more sobering when you think about just how easily something like that can happen. We've seen examples enough of that in RL history. Even so, to be able to rationalize that unthinkable act of destruction . . . I can't even begin to wrap my head around it.

I'm glad that he has such a wide support system, though. I adore Dan - and I was glad that he pointed out the holes in the Empire's 'logic'. The simple line of him looking for calls from his family, and finding none, was just such a gut-punch. Of course he's still in some sort of denial, and it is painful to read. Then, with the noodle house, to see the familiar and know that it's gone, all the while every day folks are just going about their business . . . I can only imagine how jarring and painful that would be for Niall. Once again, you are doing a great job conveying atmosphere and mood, and it's making for one intense read.

I am definitely looking forward to reading more! =D=

14. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    No, no, no life left? Why should a dog or horse or rat have life, but not you? Those words from King Lear always get me, and it seems that this is the traumatic reverberation for Niall as he slowly leaves his previous existence Before and enters into the life After it happened.

Ryas's justification of the decimation of an entire planet, a whole culture, is troubling. I hope that this rift of Imperial vs Rebel won't tear the two of them apart, but this is a Celtic song...[face_hypnotized]

That line -

as Briannakin says, is a gut-punch. The silence that never goes away. The voice you'll never hear again. :(

15. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I swear, I really thought this would be only 3 posts! What have you wrought, Pandora? Still, it's really stretching me...not a lightsaber or dogfight to be seen! It's never a bad thing to be challenged to new things. Sooo...

No, no, in this case at least, Ewok Poet and Findswoman, Ryas's intentions are innocent. He genuinely hopes that a good night sleep will help Niall as tries to deal with things...and sleeping in his clothes would make him wake up out of sorts. Niall hasn't committed any crimes, so no reason to turn him in...well, not so far.

Yes, that was something I found comforting after 9/11. Seeing the pictures of people lined up at the Embassies around the world to sign condolence books, reading online message boards with people expressing sympathy...it made me feel that we as human beings are not boundaries or maps or flags. We have more in common than different and the world would be a better place if more of us realized that.

Yes, and I know a few people who won't erase their answering machines because on them is the last message they got from a loved one. I think that is the worst for Niall...that he just doesn't know for sure, and part of him still still still has hope...
    That line always gets me, too. Because while you are still grieving, part of you is still hoping...I suppose that is why funerals and wakes and viewings are so important, in a way. Because it erases uncertainty. When you see your loved one, lying there, so obviously dead...you HAVE to accept it.
    I think you've got Ryas pegged pretty well. He's not a BAD person (or how could Niall have fallen in love with him?), but he is trying to justify all this to himself. How far can he stretch? Stay tuned, shadows ahead...

Ryas did come over that night, although it was very late. Niall had been watching the news. There was a mention of the destruction of Alderaan, but the details were sketchy. There was a mention of possible Rebel involvement. Most of the broadcast was given over to the news of the dissolution of the Senate. A pretty blond newscaster was nodding intently as the Corellian Diktat rambled on about the great step forward the Emperor had made, and how sweeping away partisan bureaucracy meant the chance to ensure greater security against Rebel terrorism.

He turned it off in disgust as Ryas came through the door.

“How are you feeling?” asked the young officer, unfastening the high collar of his uniform tunic.

“I’m still alive and I’m not drunk,” said Niall. He stood up and went over to kiss his fiancé. “Thanks for the pastries.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Have you eaten?”

“Yeah, I grabbed a meatroll at the canteen.” Ryas went to the couch.

“Glass of wine?”

“Love one.”

Niall poured two glasses of wine from his homeworld, dry and delicious, and joined him. For a moment, neither one said anything. Then Ryas sighed. “You want to know if I’ve learned anything else about Alderaan,” he said.

“Did I say that?”

“No, but that’s what you’re thinking.”

Niall sipped the wine, a delicate shade of green. It had come from his brother-in-law’s vineyard, in the Nossora region. Overnight, it had probably appreciated in value a hundred times over.

“You scare me sometimes,” he said. “It…it was the Empire. But how could they do it? I mean, it must have taken massive fleets of Star Destroyers, or a million ore extractors.”

Ryas shook his head. “It was a new weapon,” he said, “an orbital battlestation. It’s incredible, the most amazing feat of engineering you could ever imagine! It’s 120 kilometers in diameter, can carry several million personnel, it can carry over 500 fighter squadrons, 4 cruisers, over 1,000 AT-ATs… It’s essentially like having several military bases on a planet that has a hyperdrive. And, it has a superlaser, powered by Kyber crystals, projected by accelerator tubes which can take out an entire planet!”

“I know,” said Niall drily.

“Oh. Sorry. It’s just…I can’t imagine what it took to build this!” Ryas shook his head. “It’s currently under command of Governor Tarkin. Can you imagine what it means? It pretty much spells out the end of the Rebellion! There can finally be peace in the galaxy! No more angry dissidents, no more threats to order. Any star system threatening to step out of line will face the consequences!” Niall looked at his love. Ryas’s blue-green eyes were glowing with excitement, his cheeks were pink.

Peace in the galaxy was something Niall had been raised to work towards, to dream of. But peace at blasterpoint didn’t seem very attractive to him. Peace through fear. “You’ll be out of a job, then,” he said. “With a weapon like that, the Emperor won’t need a Navy.”

Ryas laughed. “Oh, someone will have to service it and take care of it and staff it,” he said. “Actually…” he put down his empty wine glass, and took Niall’s hand. “I know this is a lot to ask right now, after…well, after all this, but…I wondered if you’d thought about my suggestion about joining the Surgical Corps. I…I really need to know.”

Niall stared at him in disbelief. “Now? You’re asking me now?”

Ryas winced. “I know, I know, but…I’ve been offered a transfer, to the staff of Admiral, no Moff Jerjerrod. He used to work at the Corellian Engineering Corporation with my boss, Admiral Tenneff. He’s working on a new project, and is ramping up his staff, so Tenneff is going over to join him and taking most of us with him. I…I know you want to finish up your work here, but this is a big opportunity. If we can be married by the end of next month instead, then you can come with me.”

Niall’s jaw dropped. “Next month? But…”

“I know. It’s all very sudden, especially after—well, you know. I know this is all hard. But this is an opportunity I can’t turn down, I can’t! This could mean big things, if I play the cards right. And the new project is top secret, so the only way we’ll be together is if you’re officially part of the Navy.” He grimaced. “No civilians are allowed on the jobsite, it’s really that big a secret. I mean, if you don’t join up and we get married, I’ll be gone for months at a time; I don’t know when we’ll be able to see each other.”

Niall’s thoughts were in a jumble. A massive planet-killing weapon, the loss of his family, his culture, his world, Ryas leaving for a new project and a possible promotion… “Do I need to answer right now?” he pleaded. “I love you, but this…I can’t even begin to think of this right now. I…my family…” Ryas pulled Niall into his arms.

“You still have family,” he said. “You have me, and you will have me forever. You won’t be alone, I promise.” He pulled back and stroked Niall’s cheek. “I know it’s all crazy right now. We’ve got until the end of next month, and of course we can scale back the ceremony. We can elope! Just us at the Registry office, then a nice dinner here in Coronet, or maybe we can rent a place for a long weekend in Tyrena, and get married there and honeymoon on the Gold Beaches. Sound good?”

“It…I just need some more time,” said Niall, “but that does…sound…nice. I just…I need time. That’s all.”

“Okay.” Ryas flashed that dazzling smile, then leaned in and kissed him deeply. “Let’s go into the bedroom. I am sure I can be more…persuasive.” Niall smiled faintly.

“Sure, sounds good,” he said. “Let’s go.”

16. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    I'm very relieved to see that Ryas is, at very least, sincere in his love and care for Niall. Though the vibe is still a complicated one here: yes, Ryas cares for Niall, but he is still capable of getting really excited about the SHEER TECHNOLOGICAL COOLNESS of the Death Star even with his Alderaanian fiancé right there in front of him; that moment of his seems to be coming from a similar place as his rationalizations a few chapters ago, for some reason. Ditto his "you still have family" comment—well, yes, it's not untrue, but there's no way Ryas can possibly be a replacement from all those people Niall lost. :( And there's still a lot of crypticness and mystery in the air, most notably as concerns this Big New Project of Moff Jerjerrod's... after looking him up on the Wook, I have a guess or two, and now I think I can see where things might be going. :eek: At least they'll be married sooner rather than later—that's one good thing that will come out of this. But I can still see the crows, ravens, convorees, etc. beginning to circle overhead...

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I get that Ryas is true in his love for Niall, but I still feel as though something is off.

Maybe this just shows how expansive the Empire is, like how Ryas can see the evil at the top, but also the good people who have - unfortunately - just transferred over from the days of the Republic without really thinking or questioning those like Tarkin.

18. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Yes, I have to agree with the comments above mine--something is off here. I can't quite put my claw on it, but I can feel it: while I do think Ryas' love for Niall is real (and I do think it was thoughtful for him to dim the shades--bright sunlight is murder on a pounding headache, the sort hangovers can bring) he comes across as almost desperate in this scene, particularly at the end. It might be partly the (very suspicious) promotion, but even though it is the worst possible time to bring this up for Niall, and he is aware of that, he is in a hurry to continue on with their wedding plans, revising them on the spot, and for Niall to decide on the Surgical Corps. He seems almost afraid--though I suspect that is largely unconscious on his part--that Niall will leave him.

It occurred to me while I was reading that I don't think there has been any mention of Ryas' family in the midst of all the previous wedding planning--only Niall's. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, or forgetting a minor detail, but if it is true that Ryas hasn't any family, or family who will claim him, that could explain why he needs to hold onto Niall, and that it might be he himself who needs to be assured that "you will have me forever."

And then there's that promotion. The name Jerjerrod raises blood red flags (for the readers, of course--the name doesn't mean a thing to Niall or Ryas). I wouldn't imagine that the Empire would be building another Death Star at this point, considering that they must still have the first one in fully operational status, and they didn't believe it could be harmed up until the moment Luke fired that pivotal shot. But something is definitely going on.

I also suspect the candlelight memorial service mentioned earlier could show up again--and it might start out peacefully, but depending on the Corellian government, that could change. What was that that Inspector Finch said in V for Vendetta about what happens when a group of unarmed protestors (and from certain points of view, anything they don't like is a protest) are met by armed forces?

Niall did have those few moments, walking around the city, when things were made a bit more bearable for him. I'm glad he had that, because I am afraid for what might happen next.

19. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Finally finished this! Have to polish it up, but all the rest is ready to post. (No, I'm not going to do it all at once). Phew!
    We'll see...[face_devil] The ravens or the convorees are definitely gathering...
    I've been thinking that...most people don't see evil, because it is always incremental. I mean, at the risk of going all Godwin, Hitler didn't start rounding up people and putting them in gas chambers when he first came to power. It was arresting his political enemies. Then his thugs beating up Jews. Then bookburnings...Little steps that good people might not approve of at first, until things truly got dark, at which point it is hard to figure out how to extricate yourself, or it's impossible to protest.

Oh, I don't know. The first one was just the prototype, after all. I don't think they could have been that far along on a second, bigger one in only 3 years.

I think your comment on "anything they don't like is a protest" rings very true, even today. I went with my friends to the Women's March in January, and we were getting all kinds of text messages with antidotes for tear gas from a friend who was staying home (we were afraid to ask her how she knew!) Luckily, while the cops were definitely on edge that morning, by the end of the day they were relaxed and smiling and taking selfies.

So... The description of the Alderaanian candle-lighting memorial is a lovely piece of fanon from Mira_Jade, who was kind enough to let me borrow it. It shows up in her wonderful story We'll Take a Cup of Kindness Yet, which no one should read without a large box of tissues nearby. :_|

Making love last night was a mistake, thought Niall, staring up at the ceiling the next morning. He had thought that a physical release would make him feel better about things, but it didn’t. He hadn’t felt anything, but he went through the motions. Ryas, thankfully, hadn’t noticed, and had slipped away late at night, humming tunelessly under his breath. Niall looked out the window, watching the sky lighten as the sun made its appearance. His thoughts were a jumble. He needed to get away.

He dressed quickly, picked up a cup of caff, and took one of the underground transit trams to the hospital to retrieve his landspeeder. Things were fairly quiet at that hour of morning, although he noted several patrols of Imperial stormtroopers making their way through the streets. They’re busy today. Then he made his way out of town, away to the hills and the pale green fields of corley. This was what he needed right now, the green and the hills and the wind and the quiet. Too much had happened, too much was going on and he didn’t know how he felt.

It didn’t feel real. That was the problem. He knew what he’d been told, he knew what had been reported, he knew that his mother wasn’t answering his calls, but ultimately, he simply couldn’t believe that Alderaan could be gone. Unless he could charter a ship and fly to the system and see. He simply couldn’t believe any of it.

And now, Ryas being reassigned, sent somewhere else for the stars only knew how long, the only way they’d be able to be together would be if he gave in and joined the Empire. The Empire that had killed his family. He could betray the principles of the family who had raised him to be with the man he loved, or he could be true to his homeworld and lose his lover.

He began to walk up the hill to their tree, and realized someone was there. For one moment, his heart lifted. But as he got closer, he realized it wasn’t Ryas, it was Dannan Antilles, slouched on the ground against the trunk, his uniform tunic unfastened, stubble on his chin, hair even shaggier than usual, staring blankly out across the fields to the bay beyond. There was an empty bottle of whiskey on the ground next to him.

Niall hesitated, then sat down next to him.

“I’m not him,” said Dan.

“No kidding.”

“Were you looking for me?”

“No.”

“Good. ‘Cause I’m off duty.”

“Are you drunk?” asked Niall, feeling a strange role-reversal going on.

“Not drunk enough.”

“Are you supposed to be on duty?”

“Just got off duty. Well…a few hours ago.”

Niall considered. “Do you want to talk about it?” he asked.

Dan scowled. “No!” They sat in silence for a while, watching the breeze make silver waves across the fields of corley. Then Dan sighed. “You didn’t go to that vigil last night, then?”

“No. I stayed home. Ryas came over.”

“Good thing.” Dan picked up the bottle, realized it was empty, made as if to throw it away, then sighed again and put it back. “It was supposed to be a candlelight vigil, to honor the dead of Alderaan, right? The organizers got a permit and everything. They gathered in Embarkation Square, in front of the old Palace, then they were going to march down Merrin Boulevard to Duchess Thalassa Park, on the waterfront, and float the candles out to sea? I don’t quite know about that last part, I guess it’s some sort of Alderaanian custom.”

“Yes,” said Niall. “In the Autumn, we have a day of Remembrance. We float a candle for each of our loved ones who we’ve lost, and we sing songs in their memory.”

“I guess they were going to do that, or that was the plan, anyway. There was a good crowd, over a thousand people, I’d say. Just regular folks, some families. They had their candles, not making trouble. We were there, of course, keeping an eye out. The Diktat was worried there’d be riots or something, after all this stuff with the Senate. But the atmosphere was good. Solemn, but peaceful. No one was speaking out against the Empire, no rabble rousing. Just folks trying to honor the deaths of a lot of innocent people.” Dan took a deep breath. “And then the Empire showed up.”

Niall frowned. “What do you mean?”

“Stormtroopers, a whole bunch of them. Their officer came marching up, ordered everyone to disperse. There wasn’t any reason they should, they had a permit, it was all legal, hell, my chief told them so! But the officer insisted, so the crowd started to break up. But they weren’t doing it fast enough for the Boys in White, so…” Dan paused, clenched his jaw. Niall could hear him trying to control his breathing.

“They opened fire,” he guessed.

“Yeah,” said Dan. “They did. Opened up on the crowd. Killed fifty-three people, wounded a hundred and eighteen others. Killed three of our officers, wounded four more. And then were trying to arrest everyone else. Of course, by then, forget it, people were just stampeding, running for their lives. I think there were a lot more injured then.”

Niall caught his breath, involuntarily looked back towards the city. Perhaps he should go back to work, they must still be dealing with the fallout from last night. “Did you lose any of your kin?” he asked softly.

“I dunno. Maybe. I haven’t actually looked at the list of names.” Dan was quiet for a moment. “I know I lost friends,” he added.

“The Empire did this,” Niall said to himself.

“To innocent people,” said Dan, frowning at the landscape. “Who were just lighting candles and hoping that the souls of the dead would move on to something else, some better place.”

“And they destroyed my planet because they thought that a few people were part of the Rebellion, and they couldn’t be bothered to find those few people, so they punished everyone.” Niall looked at Dan. “Ryas said it’s a battle station.”

“What is?” asked Dan.

“The weapon that destroyed Alderaan. A battle station, huge, with a hyperdrive and a superlaser. He said that peace was a given, now, that the Rebellion would have to stand down. He said it’s the way to guarantee security and order.”

Dan laughed harshly. “Yeah, support the Rebellion, we’ll destroy your entire planet! There’d better not be a Rebel cell on Coruscant.”

Niall looked across the fields. “Peace is what everyone wants, isn’t it?” he said.

“Everyone except the arms manufacturers.”

“My people thought you could guarantee peace by exemplifying it, by putting down your weapons and living peacefully with others. The Empire thinks you can guarantee peace through force, by threatening people with ultimate destruction if they don’t fall into line.” He looked at Dan. “How would you do it? Bring peace to the entire galaxy?” Dannan snorted.

“If I had the answer to that, I’d be making a lot more money, I can tell you!” he said.

Niall sat there for a while, rolling things over in his head. “I never thought to wonder why the Rebellion started, or what they were rebelling against,” he said. “It made sense to me that there needed to be a strong, stable government to run things, so that everyone could live and prosper.”

Dan nodded. “Someone needs to be in charge. No one can exist, or raise children, or prosper in anarchy.”

Niall was quiet for a long time. “Maybe the wrong person is in charge. Maybe that’s what they’re rebelling against.” Dan looked skeptical.

“Who would you replace him with?” he asked. Niall shook his head.

“I don’t know.” After a moment, he added, “Are you going to arrest me?”

“Arrest you? For what?”

“Treason? Sedition? Speaking out against the government?”

“I’m off duty.” Dan shook his empty bottle and stood up. “After last night, I’m feeling a bit seditious myself,” he added. “I joined CorSec to help people. To keep the peace, to keep my homeworld and its people safe and secure, to keep the laws intact. And last night, I wasn’t able to do any of those things, because the lawful government attacked them. I’m not going to arrest you. I’m off for the next couple of days anyway, so I’m going home to get more drunk and then get some sleep.”

Niall eyed him. “Are you fit to drive?” he asked.

“The autopilot will get me home. I’m fine. Take care.”

When he was gone, Niall walked to the edge of the field and took up some of the corley, cutting it close to the ground. If he had been at Embarkation Square last night, perhaps he could have helped, given aid that would have saved a few more lives. Or perhaps he would have been cut down, too…like his family and friends on Alderaan.

He sat back down under the tree, braiding the strands into a circlet, which he slipped over his wrist. Finally, he returned to his speeder, and headed back towards the hospital. Whatever Dr. Pocrates said, Niall had to know if they needed help. It seemed like a lot of casualties, and even spread throughout Coronet City’s hospitals, his colleagues would be buried.

20. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Wow. Things are definitely approaching a crux here—well, they have been, but the moment I saw this sentence...

...I got a much better idea of what that crux is. And Niall is, too, it looks like; the way you've written this, his realizations and the readers' are happening in tandem, which is very cool. :cool: The exception of course is his continued (and very understandable) disbelief about Alderaan; I'm now wondering if, later in the story, he will get a chance to go into hyperspace and see for himself the cold chunks of rock to which his beautiful homeworld has been reduced, and what effect that will have on him. :_|

Absolutely lovely integration of Mira_Jade 's Day of Remembrance ritual with the floating candles, too, by the way—how haunting to see it happening under the dark shadow of the Empire, and interrupted by carnage and mayhem! My first thought was that it was quite a stroke of luck that Niall didn't end up going, but, as he rightly notes, he could have been of help there too. No one can know.

The beautiful, idyllic corley field that was the story's opening scene is now such a different place—bleaker and emptier now, and instead of sharing loving banter with his fiancé, Niall now finds himself reflecting on loss, war, peace, rebellion, and similar weighty matters with his disillusioned "other brother"—who, too, is coming to the realization of just what the Empire is capable of. :( And their conversation is spot-on—poignant but not melodramatic, with an understandable sprinkling of snark, as we see in this priceless moment:

When Niall says...

...it is of course very tempting for us readers, knowing the whole trajectory of the Saga, to go, "YA THINK?!!" But at this juncture, for people within Galactic history who can't see ahead to the events of ROTJ (and that's basically all of them :p ), that kind of uncertainty and fuzziness about the nature and purpose of the Rebellion makes perfect sense. As you said above, these things tend to start with the little, innocuous-looking steps rather than with the superlaser.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I can't wait for more—this is such a rich and layered tale that I know whichever direction it ends up going, it'll be sheer WOW. :cool:

Mistress_Renata, Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I have a guess of what will happen next.

Ryas dies on the Death Star.

Other than that, not much to add after what Finds said, just one question: was making love a mistake because of Alderaan values or in general?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

22. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    It looks as though my fears about the candlelight service were all too correct--it was intended to be peaceful, and it started that way, but it ended in the chaos and death that result when a group of armed people go after a group of unarmed people. (I was sort of reminded of the rally at the beginning of David Lean's film version of Doctor Zhivago here.) But I was wrong about who would be responsible; it wasn't the Coronet City government--who were only carefully on edge--it was the Empire, with their "boys in white," who came with their blasters to break up a legally sanctioned gathering, stepping right over the local government's authority in a not even remotely subtle message.

Understandably, if Dan had had many illusions remaining about the Empire, he doesn't now. He is left with his own shock, and his own bottle of numbing whiskey. This is the sort of thing that no doubt led more than a few persons away from neutrality and into the ranks of the rebellion, and Alderaan is even more so. So far, neither Niall nor Dan seem much inclined towards the Rebels, but they are both still in the initial shock, and that may yet change.

And Niall has now reached the denial stage in dealing with the destruction of his planet. While Dan witnessed first hand what happened to the candlelight service, he has to believe, with no direct evidence, what is still the utterly impossible. I too wonder--since it has been mentioned--if he will return to his home system to see the remains of Alderaan for himself. If he does, I somehow doubt that he will find any closure there. It's never going to be that easy. It may even make things worse for him.

Finally, Niall has reached his crux, which is the choice he must make--between the memory of his homeworld, or a lover who continues to serve the force that destroyed it. This choice means that ultimately, he cannot stay true to both. For the present, though, he is making a choice I haven't any doubt his family would be proud of--to, even while in the midst of his own tragedy, lend his help to other people who need it. That is his profession, after all, and I wonder if that mightn't be a clue as to what he decides to do next.

23. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, but this story continues to be a suckerpunch to the gut - especially for its uncanny way of mirroring reality, once again. Just . . . the Imperial-ran media trying to make their citizens think that the wrongs being committed are justifiable in the name of peace . . . it's sickening, and so, so much more chilling looking at it through the eyes of 'ordinary' citizens, rather than the usual 'hero' POVs we see.

Like:

I completely blanched there. To applaud that kind of deadly force, and then slap the name of peace on it, especially in lieu of what had just happened . . . Niall's reply was stark and sobering in comparison. And now, to have to choose his lover over his family and his principals and what he knows is right . . . or vise versa . . . it's a terrible decision to have to make, especially at a time like this. :(

Once again, you honor me by using my bit of fanon! [face_blush][face_blush] I am touched that it inspired you, and I loved seeing its inclusion here! Just . . . the idea that such a peaceful remembrance turned into a massacre is sickening, and yet, very much something 'the boys in white' would do. There was nothing that was not terrible about that, except for, perhaps, the way it helped Niall to shift, and perhaps keep his focus.

Now I am glad that he's going to throw himself into helping others. Maybe he can find a small bit of comfort and peace; that sounds just like what he needs.

A riveting tale, once again! I truly can't wait for more! [face_love] =D=

24. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, trying to keep to my 2x week schedule...

And of course, this is the the theme of the original song: the hero must choose between his lover and his country. The decision is easy when the lover is murdered by the enemy of his country, so the choice is clear and the hero can fight for his country with justification. I tweaked it a bit, turning it around...it is the country/home planet destroyed by the enemy bullet, and it is the lover who is allied with the enemy. And so, what path to take...

Thinking about it, the police might have stormed in and tried to bust it up, but these are local police dealing with the local community. In that crowd would have been their family members, friends, old school classmates, ex-lovers, their barber, owner of their favorite coffeeshop, etc. If you want a massacre, you need to bring in the outsiders.

It's something I try to keep in mind...we all know what happened because we have the movie versions. If George had told the story from the POV of the Empire, it would have read very differently. And to Joe the Bystander, the Rebellion would seem like dangerous terrorists, attacking military installations, advocating the overthrow of the legal government. People trying to peacefully protest what they feel is a corrupt regime being painted as anarchists... hmm, that seems familiar... :rolleyes:

It is something to think of, especially having seen RotS... WE know that the Emperor is a crazed Dark Sith, worshipping power and cruelty. But hundreds of billions of beings don't see that and just go along with the program. Why? And those who follow him enthusiastically, cheerfully perpetuating cruelty and thinking that it is strength, even to influencing the rise of the First Order so many years later...what is so attractive about this that they could go along with it? This was a great opportunity to explore it.

And thank you again, Mira_Jade, for letting me borrow that lovely fanon you created, even if I did turn it into a massacre. :( And thank you, Pandora, for giving me a challenge that stretched me beyond what I thought I'd produce (I swear, I thought this would be 3 posts & done).

Niall felt it was a mistake because he didn't do it for the right reasons. He didn't genuinely want to express his love for his partner, he just wanted something to make him forget how he was feeling, a way of self-medicating through sex. It didn't work, it wasn't fair to Ryas (who didn't realize that he was being used, so left happy), and it left Niall feeling just as empty as before.

This entry is fairly short.

He drove back to the hospital, and found his parking spot was still there. There was a quiet buzz in the corridors; it was definitely busy for this time of morning. He changed into his healer’s tunic and headed to the nurses’ station. Silaris was there, conferring with another nurse and a med droid. She looked up. “Niall? What are you doing here? I thought Dr. Pocrates gave you the week off.”

“He did.” Niall hesitated. “I heard about what happened last night, at the vigil,” he said. “I thought you might need all hands.”

Silaris shook her head. “I was off duty, thank the stars, but yes, I heard they were slammed. It’s a little quieter, now, but there are a lot of surgeries scheduled.” She paused. “A lot of amputations,” she added softly. Niall winced.

“Where do you need me?” he said, taking a patient roster from her.

“Go up to the surgical suite and check in with Dr. Pocrates.” She showed him the chart. “He’s got four scheduled, he just finished one. He’ll tell you where to fill in.” Niall nodded, and took the lift up to the surgical suites on the third floor. This level was very cold. It always got his adrenaline going.

Dr. Pocrates was scrubbing for his next patient when Niall showed up. He flicked an inquisitive ear towards the young Human.

“I heard what happened at the vigil,” Niall said. “I thought you’d need help.”

Pocrates nodded towards the surgical cleanser. “City Hospital took most, and the Royal Institute has a fair few, but we’ve got our share. The worst we took care of last night. The ones today were stabilized in bacta all night.” He hesitated. “This one will be bad. A child. She’s going to lose her arms.” Niall grimaced. Certainly they could give the child cybernetic implants, but they’d have to be changed over the years as she grew, an uncomfortable thing for a child.

They worked together on the girl, then Niall took the next patient, a Selonian, with help from his colleague, Dr. Frai. It was well past lunchtime, well into the late afternoon before they had finished. Pocrates held a very quick staff meeting. Several people were being discharged, a few were being kept for observation, and they had lost three. Two were elders, one of a coronary trying to flee from the stormtroopers, one from shock and trauma after his surgery. Another was a child, badly injured and trampled by the terrified crowds.

Pocrates refused to put Niall back on his regular schedule, but ordered him to tag along as they went to the cafeteria for a quick meal. The Drall sighed heavily as he sank into his chair, and took the lid off the teapot to see if the brew was strong enough yet. He looked at Niall. “So you weren’t at the Vigil last night? I was a bit worried.”

Niall shook his head, digging his fork into a creamy salad of roasted poullet with sunfruit chunks. He found himself telling Pocrates everything, lowering his voice as he confessed the truth about the new Imperial battlestation and the real reason Jedha had been destroyed. He told about the offer of a promotion Ryas had received, and the pressure on him to leave the training program early.

“I don’t know what to do,” he confessed, pushing a nut to the side of his dish. “I want to finish the program. I had no intention of joining the Imperial Surgical Corps. But that’s what he wants. And he wants to take this promotion, so it’s the only way we’ll be together. And now…everything…everyone is gone. Alderaan is gone.” Niall pushed his plate away. “If I want to be with him, I’ll have to leave it all behind. I guess don’t have a choice, do I.”

Pocrates sipped his tea. “Of course you do,” he said.

Niall shook his head. “I don’t see what else I can do. At least my parents are gone, they’d never know…they’d never know that I…” He turned his head away quickly, squeezing his eyes shut and taking a deep breath.

“Don’t be ridiculous.” The doctor fixed his shining dark eyes on Niall. “You are Alderaan. Your parents raised you to the ideals of their homeworld. To believe in peace, and art, and beauty. To be compassionate and to care about others, and to expect the best from them. Whatever else happens, you carry this inside of you, the ideals of Alderaan. If you hold true to that and pass those beliefs to your children, then your homeworld will never truly die.” He nibbled on a piece of shortbread. “It might sound a bit trite, but it is true, after all. You are the sum of your experiences, the product of your upbringing.”

Niall thought about that, playing with a piece of his roll. If he was true to himself, if he followed the path his parents would approve of…he wouldn’t be with Ryas. But if Ryas loved him as much as he claimed to, then he’d understand. He’d be willing to wait. Niall finished his coffee and looked at Pocrates. “Love is very complicated, isn’t it?” he said.

“The most important things in life are,” said Pocrates. He leaned back, dabbing at his whiskers with a crumpled napkin. “Right,” he said. “You run along, sort this out with your young man. I’m going to do one more set of rounds, see how everyone is doing.”

“Thank you, Doctor,” said Niall. He made his way home, thinking very hard. He knew what he wanted to do now. But would Ryas accept his decision?

Chyntuck, AzureAngel2, Kahara and 3 others like this.
  25. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Niall does indeed have a hard decision ahead; does he tell Ryas the truth or not and if he does, then what might happen.