main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Obi-Wan Movie Possible?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by jkarateking, Mar 13, 2017.

1. jkarateking

jkarateking Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    So Ewan McGregor did an ask me anything on reddit and he ignored every star wars question. So this could be because he is under an NDA from Disney and he will be in a future star wars film?

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    TITLE UPDATED FOR MORE GENERAL SPECULATION/DISCUSSION.

3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Excellent example of the truism "whenever a headline poses a question, the answer is always 'no'"

If Ewan ignored every Star Wars question, it could be because of any of these reasons:

1: He is going to reprise the role of Obi-Wan, and has been asked to avoid discussing Star Wars publicly until an appropriate time
    2: He would like to reprise the role of Obi-Wan, so feels its best not to discuss Star Wars publicly with fans because he knows he almost burned bridges a while back
    3: He gets asked about Star Wars all the time, and doesn't want to engage with adult Star Wars fans - he considers Star Wars a family/kids film, and he's not in it for the fandom aspect at all, and prefers to discuss the films about which he feels there is something of substance to discuss

Argh; edited title means this no longer makes sense

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    ;)

EHT likes this.
  5. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Most likely option - Is doing the AMA for TS2 hype and is currently in the mood to specifically talk about it and other indie-project-related things he's interested in. I mean, I hope it's #1, but I highly doubt it.

Dark Lady Mara and TCF-1138 like this.
  6. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Based on previous interviews I've heard of his the answer is not 2 or 3, but as Big Bad Yoda Daddy pointed out there is a fourth option that the AMA had a specific subject, and he didn't want to derail it by going down the inevitable rabbit hole of Star Wars. Since usually the least conspiratorial answer is the correct answer my guess is the correct answer is option 4.

Dark Lady Mara and CEB like this.
  7. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    That's me told.

Sounds about right, to be fair.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    An Obi-Wan movie will always be a possibility :)

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  9. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    They could explore this!!
    [​IMG]

10. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Obi-Wan sits in sand for 19 years watching Luke.......

Take my credits already!!!!!

11. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I hope it happens.,

Lulu Mars and Darth Basin like this.
  12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The question is, how do we get Ewan to devote the next 19 years of his life to the project?

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    There's no point in making an Obi-Wan film. He's supposed to be the errant knight watching over the chosen one – not some risk taker galavanting through the galaxy while risking exposing himself. The key to his mission is laying low...and that could only mean not using the Force as much as possible and not getting involved in other people's matters, as well.

14. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000

Well, we've seen from Rebels and the comics that some threats have indeed come to Tatooine and endangered Luke. I think a movie where he not only had to save Luke, but ALSO had to keep his cover and not let Luke know he was being protected (in addition to not bringing Luke into suspicion from onlookers) would be an interesting story.

Dagobahsystem, Snafu55 and Lulu Mars like this.
  15. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I couldn't have said it better.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd actually love an Obi-Wan film. After reading the book Kenobi a few years back, I had thought back then that it would've been great to see that as a movie. IMO there's enough he could be doing on Tatooine to qualify for an interesting film, as IMO that book proves. Regarding a point you mentioned DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR, I would feel the whole "Obi-Wan trying not to expose himself and/or reveal his Force powers" thing could actually make for an interesting plot point. Wouldn't mind seeing a young Luke either...And now that spinoffs are actually a thing-and also after seeing him in Rebels recently, I would love to see an Obi-Wan Kenobi film taking place sometime during the post ROTS, pre ANH period.

Honestly at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to find out it will actually happen. Maybe not as soon as the coming 3rd spinoff or anything, but maybe after the ST is completed. Could I do without it? Of course-I could go either way. But then again, we could kinda say that with all of these spinoffs really...

Dagobahsystem and Lulu Mars like this.
  17. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    It's possible but there are already scenes in the ongoing Marvel Comics that show him on Tatooine and he shows up in
    Season 3 of Star Wars Rebels and kills Maul.
    Don't know what else could be explored between the trilogies. Seeing him pre-TPM could be interesting though.

18. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    It makes a lot of sense and will make a lot more money for Disney to make this film.

Ewan at the perfect natural age and was the consensus bright spot from the unpopular prequels. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I am not aware of any cannon (not that it would matter) that declares obi never left tattoine from the end of 3 to a new hope. Lots they could do in that timeframe

19. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Enough of that Obi-Wan stuff, Dave Filoni made enough propaganda for Obi-Wan fanboys so no...

20. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000

And he doesn't necessarily have to leave Tattooine to make an interesting movie.

DARTH_BELO and TCF-1138 like this.
  21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    ...or he made an episode of Rebels that not only paid respect to the character of Obi-Wan, but also brought a justified end to the story of Darth Maul.

One or the other I suppose.
    Though I have a hard time understanding what "propaganda" would even mean in this context.

22. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013

Not sure if this is a spoiler from the Rebels or not since this is a different forum so I will use the spoiler tag.

Maul could die with fighting Vader in Malachor, in a prolonged duel, with a respectable way like his favorite pet Ahsoka did.
    Maul could die in some accident, or he could die because of many reasons, like trying another trick to destroying the Empire like he did in Malachor, but no, once again Kenobi had to show up and end Maul's story, and not to mention the style of the duel ? He says it's an homage to the Seven Samurai but not every SW follower would watch the recon videos and they don't always read the interviews, so how could they know ? And Filoni knows that very well, so it's a disgusting way to finish Maul and it has no other purpose other than satisfying the Obi-Wan fans. He hates Maul from the beginning and the only thing that stopping him was George Lucas, and with the Rebels he did what he wanted, killing Maul with a disrespectful way.

23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, Rebels season 3 spoilers:

This isn't really the place for this discussion, but I will say that just because you don't agree with the creative choices made doesn't mean that it was disrespectful or that Filoni "hates the character". Neither was it done just to "satisfy the Obi-Wan fans". As a big Maul fan, I was more than satisfied with the conclusion to that particular story arc, and I know many others were as well.

Oh, and that Samurai movie homage was quite obvious, even if one doesn't watch Rebels Recon.

24. Shannon Darklighter

Shannon Darklighter Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 11, 1999
    We don't really need him for an Obi-Wan movie. It would be neat but Disney has shown they are just fine shelving any actor (or even character) pre-Disney.

25. SmallTatooineSun

SmallTatooineSun Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2016
    I'd watch 2 hours of Ewan as Obi-Wan even if he was just sitting in the sand!

Master of None likes this.