main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You absolute starring star! The profanilty rules

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ender Sai, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh, the nostalgia for my British school days.

"Bumming" was a familiar term bandied about, and while it ultimately referred to a particular gender demographic, the visual, us being kids, was little more than one curved or bent over human being, close against the front of a similarly positioned person behind them, such as parachuting in tandem (without the harness), how you perform the medical emergency Heimlich Manouevre(sp?), or how tv/film portrays the spooning position.

I would assume that the way the superhero, The Tick, is allowed to have "Spoon" as his catchphrase, that spooning has no negative connotations in the States.

I'm not arguing bummings pros and cons; just that for my school population, it was more synonymous with what I assume spooning is, than the aggravated thingy in the ass going on up the page.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It's been a while since I've told this story, some of you have probably read it before, a lot of you haven't, and I think it's worth repeating.

About ten years ago when I was still an active duty flight engineer for the Air Force I was assigned to a training mission, just the usual flying around in the C-130 and dropping sandbag parachutes in the drop zone. Flight engineer is an enlisted position, the only enlisted person in the flight deck with at least two pilots and a navigator, usually more on training missions, all of them officers, so I was used to being the low man on the totem pole. The senior officer on board that day was a pilot, a major, with a foul mouth. F-bomb this and f-bomb that all day long.

So we're out at the plane about an hour before engine start and the whole crew (about ten of us that day IIRC) gather in the cargo compartment for the usual pre-takeoff briefing, and he's telling us all the usual info: takeoff time, formations, routes, altitudes, target times, landing times, training goals, etc. I'm focused on getting all the info, but in the back of my mind I notice that he's sounding very professional today. He ends the briefing in the usual way: "Everybody clear on everything? Any questions? No? OK, I have one more thing. I know we're flying with a Christian today, so out of respect for his beliefs I'm going to try not to swear today. I'm probably going to f- I mean, mess up, a few times, but I'm going to make the effort."

That's a major, O-4 rank equivalent to a lieutenant commander, choosing to show respect to a 5-stripe tech sergeant E-6. He could have easily said to me, "This is how I ****ing talk, Sarge, so suck it up cuz I'm in command." But instead he chose to show respect for what I believe. You could have knocked me over with a feather. I decided it was best to not make a big deal of it and just said, "Thank you, sir."

My respect for him went up a couple of notches that day. Not because he didn't swear (much) but because he showed respect for me when he didn't have to and there was nothing in it for him. That was a good lesson in leadership and interpersonal relations for me, one that I still remember years later. If you want others to respect you, respect them first.

Respect is earned, and by his efforts, the foul-mouthed major earned my respect that day. Not only that, I liked him a lot more afterwards. And for the youngsters who haven't figured this out yet, life is better when you like the people around you.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That's a great ****ing story, sarge.

Zejo the Jedi likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

:rolleyes: I thought about telling you to read it again, Diggy, but what's the point?

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I kid, I kid!

Sarge likes this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    S'allright, bro.

Diggy likes this.
  7. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    That's actually really cool Sarge.

Sarge and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So basically, like with reproductive, gay and women's rights, a Christian mandated how others must behave to keep their quivering insecurity in check?

I guess I know the answer to "WWJD" now.

9. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Well that was rude.

Scapro Tyler, Dandelo and Sarge like this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Nobody mandated anything. People showed consideration for other people and did their best to get along. Try it. You might like it.

11. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I'm afraid that's a foreign concept in the JCC...

Ya know what..never mind...lest a fight breaks out, lol

Scapro Tyler likes this.
  12. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Dear site owner, whoever that is...I defintely don't want to see this site devolve into a profanity-laced dungeon, starred or otherwise. One of the things I really appreciate about Star Wars is how great it is, while still being family friendly. If this site's basis for comparison is Facebook, you need to think things through a little more. The genesis of Facebook was basically a college kid's illegal attempt to make a human attactiveness ratings site. No relationship to Star Wars. The fact that social media exists today and is basically a free-for-all when it comes to how people interact does not automatically mean that TFN must change how it operates to suit those tastes. Every site has rules and terms of service and it is not unusual to expect profanity to remain absolutely minimal, if at all, in some settings. George Lucas himself said that Star Wars was for children and is "kid friendly". You abandon that in an attempt to mesh in with the "social media landscape"? TFN absolutely has the right to ask this remain kid friendly, and the site has not suffered in any way that I can tell from keeping this policy.

I have been a member well over 10 years and have NEVER thought, "Oh, it's too bad I can't cuss up a storm, here." Seriously, folks, the "family friendly" aspect is a significant part of Star Wars' success as a franchise. Don't even bother trying to tell me otherwise. I don't see why we cannot expect TFN to maintain that tradition. Trying to "fit in" with Facebook or Twitter is foolish, in my opinion. TFN is TFN, not Facebook and Twitter. Have some pride. Be different. Help maintain Lucas' vision and keep TFN popular with Star Wars fans by making it the cleanest and most open to all ages as possible. This site should not be held to standards of other sites - it should be setting and maintaining it's own standards, not following human attraction ratings site or sites based on "'a short burst of inconsequential information,' and 'chirps from birds'".

"Starred" words is just a slippery slope to eventual full-on profanity, because, hey, Facebook and Twitter allow it. Get real, guys. If this gets any worse, you can definitely kiss me goodbye, and my kids, too, who also come to this forum.

13. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    [​IMG]

Ender Sai likes this.
  14. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    So ****ing true, bro.
    Its ok to curse, Sarge, dont be afraid.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Of course it was rude. Consistent with the attempt by one group to impose their will from their high horses, it was met with the lack of respect it deserved.

As for the "analysis" from Unkar's Muffins, it misses the point. The comparison with facebook was based purely on the changing digital 'marketplace' we, as a site, compete in. Message boards by definition are more time-intensive investments than social media, and given the options out there for wider access to communities in a user-friendly context, we should be seeing them as a competitor. Our value add is not that uptight people are able to wander around without someone swearing (or, in the parlance of our Ned Flemish members, "cussing"). It is that we do offer a more engaged discussion format than social media, and we have better editorial control over content.

That is, consistency in our moderation, and depth in our subjects. If you're coming here because people don't use Satanic words, you're a bit of a ****ing ****.

Again, since apparently reading the OP is difficult for some - the proposal is as follows. Please ask questions if you don't understand, rather than assuming:

1) That the profanity filter would be default-position on
    2) That users opt out
    and
    3) That users who have not opted out are not going to be exposed to words that make the baby Jesus, or any other imaginary friends that as adults they haven't quite let go of yet, cry.

I don't mind if people feel compelled to comment here, but when they do so from a position of assumptive ignorance it really does undermine the purpose of having a discussion forum in the first place.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I feel the need to clarify, again, that the proposal in question is not actually feasible.

And, for the record, if the goal here is to be persuasive your case is really not being helped by making broad-brushed swipes at people who disagree with your position on cursing on the boards.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I understand it's not feasible. I'm not commenting on the feasibility. I thought in fact that since a) you had ruled out the feasibility and b) indicated any revision to the scope of the proposal would be contingent on broad support for change, which is lacking, the proposal is like the American system of government - quite dead but left, for reasons unexplained, on life support.

As for the people who are 'offended' by swearing; I'm not worried. Most are Christian and compelled to forgive by canon, so we're sorted. :p

18. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    Don't put words in my mouth. I never said I came here because there was no cursing. I said that part of the value add to Star Wars is that it is family friendly, and that this board has been that way for a long time.

It seems obvious that you are saying that other sites are "user friendly" because they allow swearing, as if they have no terms of service or rules to abide by. You are implying they may be viewed by users as better because they allow more freedom in speech. I say TFN has been TFN and it has worked. Are you telling us you are losing accounts or posts because users feel stifled? Do tell.

Your "baby Jesus" comments are insulting and conscending. Are you the site owner, Ender Sai? If not, do yoy speak on their behalf?

Sarge likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Erm, "Such and such makes baby Jesus cry" is an expression that was funny to me even when I was a Christian.

The language filter is looser than it was; I remember a day when "damn," "goddamn," "hell," "WTF," and "ass" were not allowed. I think we've struck a good balance here.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  20. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016

You said you would leave if swearing were allowed. It amounts to the same thing. You may have other reasons for coming here but if swearing would end your visits then the lack of swearing is clearly a major reason in itself.

As for people being stifled, you do realise that there have been many 'spin off' boards started by people who kept getting banned from here? Or didn't get banned but wanted a place where they could say ****. I'm not saying that's a reason to remove censorship here but your incredulity is naive. Of course both posts and users are lost.

Of course, with a username like Unkar's Muffins, it's entirely possible that you know this and you're a troll. Unkar's Buttered Muffins would've left it unambiguous (malkie would've sniffed that one out back in the day) but the odds have to be 50/50 that you're a troll rather than a RL walking Ned Flanders.

[face_laugh]

21. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002

No, it does not amount to the same thing. I first heard of TFN in '99. There were not many robust Star Wars forums back then. The fact that the board was clean was just a plus. Another reason to like it. That is not the same as saying I come here because their ain't no cussin'. But as the internet and social media have grown, I've come to appreciate boards like TFN that have attempted to keep things family friendly and fine for almost any age. Obviously, there are a lot of people on TFN, maybe even site owners, that don't appreciate this feature of the site. I take it many of you speaking out against this don't have children.

I have no idea why you would foolishly surmise I might be a troll. I've been here about 15 years.

Since your mind is clearly "in the gutter", I can easily explain " Unkar's Muffins" as a simple display of what the character in TFA was trading, in dehydrated powder form. Maybe you could say it was just a bread loaf.

anakinfansince1983, the baby Jesus and imaginary friends comment is clearly an attempt to insult people with religious convictions. Disrespectful comments like these might be viewed as a form of bullying.

Sarge and Scapro Tyler like this.
  22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    They might, but they are not.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    EDIT: Ninja'd.

BTW I do have children, and I support the policy as it exists, not because of my children (they don't post here, and I'm pretty lenient about what they are allowed to watch/listen to), but because of other reasons listed in the thread. I am not interested in the policy going back to what it was, with "god" in "goddamn" having to be starred out, or the F in "WTF" or "GTFO".

24. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016

[face_laugh]

25. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    JoinTheSchwartz, why is that kind of talk being allowed here, then? You actually allow people to disparage other people's beliefs?

BTW, I am not Christian or any religion at all.

When was this star policy implemented? Was there a post on it?

Scapro Tyler likes this.