main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chat box function with XenForo?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by twowolves, Mar 17, 2017.

1. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    I belong to an alternate site that also uses XenForo (though not sure which version), and they have chat functionality, as in IM boxes like Facebook, plus a general chat room. Figuring this might be a rather nice feature to implement here, and willing to help beta test or anything else if it's ultimately decided to look into this for our site here.

Spoke to LAJ_FETT and was told to bring it up here.

Warning, my coding skills are exactly nil so... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V-2 and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Fifteen years ago, that would have been an interesting feature. In 2017, it seems unnecessary and redundant.

Ender Sai and DarthTunick like this.
  3. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Why? I think the feature of near realtime communication will always be useful.

On the other site, you didn't have to use it. It was just a nice feature to have quick conversations if you didn't want to discuss something publicly.

inb4 we have pm's for that: yes, but it's just like posting, where as with a chat, you don't have to refresh the page to see if there are responses.

Also, I am trying to see if I can convince the powers that be to use a plugin for XenForo that will send push notifications to your mobile device from the site itself, which would also be a nice feature, especially if paired with a chat function.

And again, you don't have to use it if you don't want. And there's a way to turn off chat functionality on the user end, I believe, too.

Plus, this would bypass the ridiculous amount of bugs that XenForo and Tapatalk seem to generate.

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Interesting idea, I think.

twowolves likes this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Tapatalk has one that pops up on all forums. But only through their app.

twowolves likes this.
  6. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    I saw the one on Tapatalk, but XenForo has a chat plugin which would be more accessible to everyone whether they have Tapatalk or not.

Plus, you know, Tapatalk sucks. Their updates are always terrible and take forever.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I know, but knowing that e.g. nothing has been implemented on here since I joined (for example)...

8. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Well, that's liable to change sooner rather than later if only because the version of XenForo they are using is going to become obsolete.

I'm hoping when they update their version of XenForo, they enable the plugin to allow chat. I think for threads like the CCC and the Blue Moon Cantina the chat would be a nice touch and add a bit of immersion. I'm sure Bardan_Jusik would love to use Mando law as his moderation style on a chat...lol

I'm hoping LAJ_FETT will weigh in and let us peer behind the curtain about what is to come...and when...

jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    When we know something it will be announced here in Comms.

twowolves and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Very...illuminating. Lol

What's next for XenForo? What is your impression of the XenForo chat plugin?

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Xenforo's handling of permalinks makes me want to shoot people off a church tower, but its BBCode interface looks better than Invision's. Invision removed the basic mode completely. :(

jcgoble3 likes this.
  12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    And I hate that. Another forum I'm on uses Invision and recently upgraded to the new version, and I hate hate hate that you can't edit in BBCode mode anymore.

What about XenForo and permalinks annoys you? I'm not familiar with any version of XenForo other than the one we're currently using here, so I'm curious.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The way pagination is included in permalinks. So stupid.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  14. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Can you give us an example? I'm not familiar with that aspect.

15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Ah, that. Yes, it's a tad annoying, but it's easily fixed in about five to ten seconds. You can (and I typically do) clean up post links to a much shorter link that goes to the same place and is independent of both the page and thread. That link would become simply http://boards.theforce.net/posts/54206042 with the number being taken from the end of the anchor in the URL. Just paste the URL, highlight everything from "threads/" to "#post-", and type "posts/". :)

Pensivia and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I know that. The thing is, that it gives the weird link BY DEFAULT and that it does not have to include the page anywhere else, in any other popular PHP software for boards and comms. :p

jcgoble3 likes this.
  18. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Any news on chat functionality, LAJ_FETT?

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We probably won't look at any add-ons til after the software upgrade seeing as that is what is holding things up now. No sense in adding to the issue!

20. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Oooh! Tell me more about this software upgrade! When can we expect it? Details! XD

[​IMG]

Sent from my TARDIS, somewhere between the glittering C-beams near the Tanhauser Gate.

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    When we're ready to go there will be a notice here in Comms. We don't have a date yet.

22. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Can we have a season...? By fall...? Winter...?

Sent from my TARDIS, somewhere between the glittering C-beams near the Tanhauser Gate.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If I did that I'd have to guess a year as well.. :p

twowolves and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    The software upgrade will be complete somewhere between 1 month from now and ∞ years from now. Be patient.

twowolves likes this.
  25. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Okay, so will there be a noticeable difference? Like will the UI be different? The color scheme? Any hints...? :p