main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Alexsandr "Hot" Kallus

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Trebor Sabreon, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm leaning to Kallus being Fulcrum on Thrawn's orders and will be sacrificed to the rest of the Empire, when Thrawn finds the base unless Kallus truly defects to the Rebellion to stop Thrawn from destroying the base before Thrawn arrests Kallus for treason.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  2. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    I think Kallus has just been handled badly tbh, it feels like in Season 2 the writers thought they really messed up making him a one dimensional evil villain like many of the others. Him turning on the Empire felt too forced and if it could have worked we definitely needed to see his feelings develop over time which would lead to his betrayal. Here is my problem, in Honrable Ones they paint Kallus as having honor and caring about morality, yet in Season 1 he kicks a Storm Trooper (one of his own allies to death). Basically Kallus transformed from evil jerk to honourable soldier to weak willed traitor who betrayed the cause he believed in just because a Rebel showed him a bit of kindness, it's far from decent writing imo. I think the writers were just desperate to give the series another Ventress kind of character/story and didn't really think it through properly.

3. Kaitan ISB021

Kaitan ISB021 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    I can certainly see your point of view. Looking back over the series, it is hard to stomach the stormtrooper kick, the execution of Tua, and his complete toadying acceptance of Vader (although he gives Vader the stink-eye when he kicks Kallus off the bridge). The "just doing my duty" of The Honorable Ones would be more compelling if he were a ground soldier rather than an intelligence agent.

That said, I admit that I love love love his redemption arc and simply assume that either we're to imagine what went on in his head (did he "chase the answers" as Zeb said and find something he couldn't stomach when he did?--thus perhaps justifying to himself even his morally suspect actions against Lyste?) or that we might actually get a bit of that thinking if he survives the season. I'm hoping for the latter, because if they kill him now, they miss the opportunity to round out that picture of a very morally grey and interesting character.

4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I have had the same issues with Kallus's change of heart....even going back to his sort of manic glee with taunting Zeb about using the disruptors on Lasan. If we had seen him up to Honorable Ones as the 'honorable imperial' it would have been a believable turn.

However...next season....

Kallus's head on Sato's body???

Darth Dnej and Kaitan ISB021 like this.
  5. Brandon G

Brandon G Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2015
    The point is Kallus should've realized how evil & corrupt the empire was BEFORE he and Vader had Minister Tua killed![face_frustrated] She was just starting to realize that herself![face_sigh]It was just SHEER LUCK that Kallus even changed in the first place because of Zeb!:zeb:

6. BliTTzZ

BliTTzZ Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2017
    Well right now the changing path of Kallus is clear. Could have been handy to see his actions and thoughts in between of his implicitly loyal service to the Empire and turning point of him changing sides. Good opportunity to expand his story with comics.

Kaitan ISB021 and corinthia like this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am just glad we can continue to see some great work from his voice actor.

8. prlrocks

prlrocks Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 2009

As you said, she, herself, was just realizing and seeing the Empire for what it was. It took an event for that to happen. She failed carrying out her orders and her life was threatened as a result. She was scared for her life and ran to the Rebellion as a last hope, not because of moral reasons. Still, I liked that motivation and would have liked to see where the character went from there. It would have been interesting to see her forced to work with people because they were her only hope of staying alive.

Kallus' own moment had not yet come. And yes, I agree, it was luck. A moment came that allows him to get to know and understand the enemy and it also opened his eyes to see that the Empire was not what he thought it was. Many other Imperials were not so lucky. Now in that moment, he had a choice. Unlike, Tua his life was not threatened. He was safely back with the Empire when we saw him sitting on his bunk and begin to question everything. He could do the safe thing and continue serving the Empire knowing it for what it was... or he could rebel, as he did.

Both characters did wrong in the name of the Empire. Both characters had their moment where they turned (for very different reasons). Tua did not escape the Empire. Kallus did. It does not erase what either of them did. As I said above, the blood is still on Kallus' hands. His journey this season seems to be him trying to make up for that and him trying to do the right thing.

If we're going to be realistic about it, it would be likely that many others would keep their heads down and only worry about their own safety. Kallus pretty much did what he did, his safety be damned.

Hopeless, Kaitan ISB021 and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Kallus reminds me a bit of how Crix Madine was portrayed in the EU:

as someone who committed lots of extremely morally questionable missions on the Empire's behalf, but eventually had a moral epiphany and committed himself to serving the Rebellion:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crix_Madine/Legends

The difference being that Kallus did so after a conversation with a Rebel, rather than after a mission that he found so evil as to break his loyalty to the Empire.

10. prlrocks

Jun 15, 2009
    Yeah, there are similarities there.

I'm all for exploring characters that left the Empire for the Rebellion. It is always an interesting topic to explore and you can change it up with having characters motivations be different (as Kallus and Tua's were). New canon is definitely not shying away from it either. From Thane Kyrell of Lost Stars to Kallus, we are getting different takes on the topic. Personally, that gets a big thumbs up from me.

Kaitan ISB021 likes this.
  11. Kaitan ISB021

Feb 1, 2017
    I've been on Team Redemption Arc since The Honorable Ones.
    Glad to see that they didn't just end the morally grey character at the convenient moment. I'll be interested to see whether he gets more screen time next season, whether we'll get a better sense of the reasons he turned (other than just "hey, Zeb was nice to me and he has friends and I don't"), whether we'll see another showdown with Thrawn, whether he'll confront Saw Gerrera over the slaughter of Kallus's injured "boys" on Onderon, whether he'll still possibly sacrifice himself for them, etc. I'm encouraged that Saw is coming back on, according to Rebels Recon, which increases the likelihood for a confrontation between Morally Grey Ex-Imp Dude who committed a genocidal atrocity on Lasan but turned in the face of the Geonosis genocide, and Morally Grey Radical Rebel Dude whose men slaughtered injured imps and was almost willing to complete the Geonosis genocide himself.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. ssidiouss

ssidiouss Jedi Master

Nov 15, 2004
    I think with Kallus's defection its pretty obvious that he's Draven from Rogue One. He looks and sounds exactly like him and the background of both characters are exactly the same.. his position in the rebellion would also be exactly the same. The only difference is the name and I can see an episode next year where he discards his old name in disgust of what he's done in his life so far and takes Draven.. perhaps his mothers name or who knows what. We know little of Draven except he used to work for the republic during the clone wars just as Kallus could have as well when first starting in service.

Sluice Friggins likes this.
  13. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    From my POV he was the best thing along Hera from the season finale.

The fight with Thrawn was well done and I cared for him when he joined the crew, like if he felt that he had a family/friends now he has come a long way from the first episodes to now.

14. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    I was shocked and pleasantly surprised what Kallus went through in this episode and that he came through alive and on the Ghost when I was convinced the narrative was pointing to his death. I was wrong and other people were right. Here's to hoping he has good character moments in the next season.

Speaking of which, here's David Oyelowo recording with the rest of the cast! I'm wondering if that's for season 4...

[​IMG]

corinthia and prlrocks like this.
  15. prlrocks

Jun 15, 2009
    Oh, that picture is awesome! I admit it is a bit different then what I pictured when I heard/read the actors talk about their recordings. While the show is not perfect, I love the cast. They are all so talented and I've become a big fan of quite a few of them, David Oyelowo included.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah I was surprised, but pleased, to see Kallus made it, and they definitively saved him too (they could have left it on his grin in the lift). It could be kind of fun to see Kallus be a rank and file disorganized Rebel since he's very used to Imperial methods. Also Oyelowo is awesome and it'd be a shame to lose him.

I like Kallus' journey from Imperial stodge who is literally "Bwa-ha-hawww-ing" evil-y at Zeb in the 2nd episode to full on Rebel, although a whole lot it hinges on that one episode where him and Zeb were trapped. Guess it had a deep effect on him.

17. Kaitan ISB021

Feb 1, 2017
    Hard to say--I feel like I've
    I feel like that picture's been around for a while. I've seen David Oyelowo in that sweater before. It may be from first season.

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  18. Sluice Friggins

Sluice Friggins Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 23, 2015
    I like it, except he'd have to trim his sideburns, so I'm out.

19. Kaitan ISB021

Feb 1, 2017
    I thought I had heard that the Draven/Kallus connection had been debunked (around Rogue One's released), but I may be misremembering. I would say it is unlikely--though of course not impossible. Kallus is in his late 30s, between Kanan & Zeb. I believe he'd have been a little too young to have had Draven's backstory (Republic intelligence suggests something more than a precocious teenager). And since Rogue One was in production maybe around Rebels season 2, if they planned this connection, they might at least have picked a brown-eyed guy with some bulk, and made his height the same as Kallus's (at least, according to Wookieepedia). (Prior to the finale, I had been hoping for Crix Madine, but same problems --plus the guy is a foot shorter than Kallus--not because I had any interest in Madine but because I wanted Kallus to have some plot armor.) I imagine Kallus is a new character for Rebels, and thus plot-armor-free.

If he has no plot armor, he's not out of the woods yet. He's no AP, or even Rex. He's got all the Imp knowledge, and may well continue as a kind of Fulcrum (not a double-agent, but as a secret agent), which is dangerous work. He's not likely to be assigned to a desk. Plus Pryce and Thrawn are super-ticked-off at him. And there's no reason to suggest there isn't room for more noble-sacrifice/making-up-for-Lasan/making-up-for-his-transmission-screw-up kind of gestures. He watched as Sato sacrificed his ship and effectively saved the rebellion; he knows his own attempt to help last time may have sped Thrawn's discovery of Atollon; and Kallus's got the "heart of a rebel" now, in Thrawn's words, so he's clearly willing to "sacrifice everything," in Kanan's words. It makes for an interesting next season for me, a big Kallus fan. (I hope we get at least a sentence or two explaining his "conversion." Maybe he found evidence of the Geonosis genocide, and a hint that it was to cover up something big?)

I'm curious whether he'll be on the Ghost. His conversation with Kanan suggests the possibility, but "taking him in" could be literal and of the moment. He may end up more like Rex, showing up here and there. Oyelowo's IMDB page doesn't (yet) list voice work for season 4, episode 1, and the main cast already does...then again, he's not listed for Zero Hour, part 2 (just part 1), presumably to prevent spoilers. Which does make me wonder who controls those IMDB listings.....

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I also remembering Pablo or someone saying Draven and Kallus aren't the same person.

21. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Why Kallus didn't die at the end of season 3.

prlrocks, Kaitan ISB021 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. Kaitan ISB021

Feb 1, 2017
    That's great. Who is it and where was it from? Thanks!

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  24. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    They're definitely going to have him and Saw meet!
    There's going to be a reason why Saw and the Rebel Alliance don't care for each other and we didn't see Saw effected by that lung condition from Rogue One so maybe they go back to Geonosis for some reason?

I'm hoping he moves along with Wedge aboard the Ghost whilst Kanan and Ezra head to Mandalor to help Sabine!

25. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    In the Rogue One visual dictionary. it says Saw got his breathing problems from inhaling insecticide on Geonosis, so I have a feeling that Saw will have his lung problems the next time we see him. Also, tensions between the Rebels and Saw's faction seemed to have already arisen when we last saw him. I imagine next time we see him, they'll spiral even worse.