main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWN Volunteers needed

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by Mother_of_the_Twins, Apr 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mother_of_the_Twins

Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2005
    Once again I have agreed to wrangle our volunteers for Star Wars Night. That said, we need plenty of help, both from members and interested friends/family to make this night a success.

We need folks to:

Work the North Ridge table. This includes people to set-up, tear down, work a shift during the game selling raffle tickets (lightsaber drawing), answering questions about our group and Compass House and generally helping fans find their way during the event. This is a fast paced spot, busy and noisy. I will try to accommodate requests to work specific shifts, etc. so the same people don't end up working too long. These volunteers can wear NR shirts or costumes (no helmets). We have a FAQ sheet available if this is your first year. We will pair up newbies with experienced folks.

Work the photo areas (2 or 3?). This includes set-up, tear down, wrangling patrons in line and during their photo op (move along, move along), help costumed characters move from the photo area (if needed), use a patron's camera so they can be in the shot, be sure there is someone with a bucket at the station. It is suggested that folks wear NR shirts, unless they're 'working the line' (interacting with patrons who are waiting in the line).

Bucket Brigade: Any group of characters should have a bucket with them. It can be held by a non-helmeted character or a volunteer. We need MANY folks to help with this. You do not have to work the entire day - folks come and go to pick up or drop off buckets as needed. We only ask that folks let me know if they do not have a bucket with them so we can get you one. This is a huge fundraiser for Compass House and we've been improving with our bucket collections each year.

Handlers: Certain characters need an assigned handler for the entire day, i.e. Jon and R2, to help them move through the concourse. If you are a special character and need someone to stay with you, please LET ME KNOW. I will be compiling a spreadsheet with all the volunteers and their assignments as we go.

So far, we have Janice working the table, Kathleen working a photo station, and I will work the table early, then I'll take the first shift at the head of the line.

Please post your interest or availability here. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions at all.

Many thanks,
    Elaine (Obi-Mom)

72Princess1 likes this.
  2. jwnikita

jwnikita Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 25, 2016
    My Mom, aunt, and uncle would like to help out, but my mom and aunt would need a job where they would be able to sit down as they can't stand for long periods of time. Please let me know if there is something they can do.

3. myhale99

myhale99 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I know Amy is a definite Yes; she will double-check with Karen on her availability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Lee Solara

Lee Solara North Ridge Secretary star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    I will help where needed. There will be a rebels group at some point during the day that I would like to make sure I'm in with.

72Princess1 likes this.
  5. jwnikita

Jul 25, 2016
    Should I order support staff shirts for my family who will be helping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Mother_of_the_Twins

Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2005

That would be a good idea, Jill. I have been thinking that the upstairs photo area would be a good place for your Aunt and Mom to help.They would be with an experienced volunteer, and that area is less crazy than downstairs, so they would (hopefully) be able to sit as needed. Mostly, they would work the line, letting folks in to the area by group, answering questions about the North Ridge (I can send you the FAQ questions sheet if you'd like) and handing out our cards.

We're very grateful that they'd like to help us!

jwnikita and 72Princess1 like this.
  7. myhale99

myhale99 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I checked with Amy and her friend, Karen, and she is available to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. jwnikita

Jul 25, 2016
    That location sounds perfect. They will stand as long as they can before they need to sit for a bit and then get back at it. I did put an order in for shirts with Steve. and of course I'll be happy to take a costumed shirt up there as well at some point during the day.

9. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    I'm going to put the brakes on here.

Please read before responding.

SWN is HECTIC and very busy at our tables. Anyone helping must have some basic knowledge to be able to answer questions about the group, how to help with characters if needed, and be able to volunteer for a large duration of the time. We cannot afford to have the table unmanned for any period of time. Volunteers will also be representing The North Ridge at SWN.

This is NOT an event to show up at hours prior and be taught what you may need to know as we are making last minute preparations at the ballpark.

I do not want to discourage people from volunteering, but while we need help, the help needs to be able to meet the demands of the job. There isn't room at the table area to sit and staff is known to move around behind the table to acomodate the needs of the crowd in front of it.

We need to have a proper game plan before we roll this out. Members, please strongly consider who you are recommending as this is a not a popularity contest, nor an entitled participation.

myhale99 likes this.
  10. 72Princess1

72Princess1 President - NR star 4

Feb 27, 2015
    Chris and I will be scheduling a walk through the ball park with Anthony soon to review photo op areas and table set up plans. We will have a better understanding of the space and requirements. I will keep you updated..

11. Grog Zombie

Grog Zombie North Ridge Diplomat star 1

Apr 2, 2016
    I can carry a bucket with a costumed group. I can also take a shift selling lightsaber tickets.

12. 72Princess1

Feb 27, 2015
    I sent you an email.

13. Lady Imperial 1210

Lady Imperial 1210 Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2016
    I would like to help work the table or anywhere needed for this event .

72Princess1 likes this.
  14. 72Princess1

Feb 27, 2015
    [​IMG]

For our table staff, wranglers, family helpers, and Compass House Volunteers!!

15. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Nice job Anna!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.