main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD So Long, Farewell, Some Third Thing

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ramza, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Hello everyone!

As some of you may know, three years and one day ago today I became head administrator of this fine Star Wars message board. In that time there have been two new Star Wars films, a host of new books and comics, really the entire franchise has expanded in ways I would have never thought possible back when I first became a moderator back in 2011. When I first became a staff member it was commonly accepted knowledge that the boards were in their twilight years. What a difference a half-decade makes.

As you may have guessed from the thread title and the obligatory waxing nostalgic in the first paragraph, I am stepping down as HA, and as a moderator in any capacity, effective Friday evening. In my place the eminently better qualified than I ever was JoinTheSchwarz will be taking on the responsibilities of this position, and in turn the also eminently better qualified than I ever was GrandAdmiralJello will be taking on his position as Communications Administrator. After years of working with both of them I have every confidence that they will not merely act as replacement names on the proverbial placard but will continue to manage and push for effective changes that will continue to make these boards a terrific place to hang out. I look forward to seeing what they accomplish - especially because it won’t be my fault!

Now, you deserve an explanation for this seemingly sudden shift at the top, so I’ll say this has been a bit of a long time coming - my responsibilities as a graduate student are getting to the point that I need to be able to take time off at a moment’s notice. I’ve always believed staff members need to be able to commit a reasonable amount of time to the forum, and I no longer feel I’m able to provide that level of commitment. You deserve better than I can provide going forward. Consequently, I’m fixing that.

I leave behind an MS and a record that I’m proud of. I could not have done it without my fellow administrators and moderators, each of whom should rest assured knowing they have my full confidence in their abilities to continue serving the interests of our forum users. As they, in turn, must inevitably say their goodbyes, I am also confident that those replacements will continue to strive towards making these boards the best they can possibly be for all users.

I would like to extend a special shout-out to my longtime RPF co-manager Penguinator, who has been both an excellent collaborator and a friend, constantly willing to discuss any manner of on-site and off-site nonsense. I would never have made it to this position without his help, and now that he’s outlasted two co-managers, that officially makes him the old man of the RPF! Be sure to tease him relentlessly about this.

I’d also like to thank all of you - despite this position being a significant ask of both my time, it always felt like a privilege, and a lot of that comes down to the user base. Three years of dedicating a not insignificant portion of your life to a Star Wars message board is a weird thing to explain to outsiders, but it always felt right. It’s been great interacting with you all, and will continue to be so.

It’s difficult to figure out how to end this post, because I think on some level I know that once I copy this from my text editor into a post and hit submit, it’s all over. So instead I’ll go out in a fashion that guarantees you know this is a 100% authentic Ramza post, accept no substitutes, and all of that: a dumb picture.

[​IMG]

… Yeah, that’s the stuff.

Be seeing you.

2. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Request denied! Oh that's not how this works is it? :(

The RPF and the forums in general have come a long way under your guidance, we'll miss ya

Juliet316, jcgoble3 and J7Luke like this.
  3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You know that I'm heartbroken to see you leave MS, my friend (although on the other hand I kind of feel like whispering "he did it, he escaped" with awe). It's been an absolute privilege working with you all these years, both when we were the Comms Brothers and when you were given the Crown. Always accessible, always level-headed, and always mindful that you still needed to keep being just another poster: you leave an example that's going to be awfully hard to live up to. Plus you are an absolutely awesome dude, and I'm glad you are still hanging around, so that we can chat about obscure anarcho-communist authors and even more obscure Z-series films.

And speaking of that... I hope to keep seeing you in the JCC movie channel whenever we feel like destroying ourselves watching the worst films in history. Don't you dare disappearing as most former HAs do, or I'll track you down.

4. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    It is sad to see you step down, but I whole-heartedly understand. Been a good run for sure Ramza. Thank you for everything! :D

J7Luke likes this.
  5. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Do not want.

Juliet316, FatBurt and jcgoble3 like this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ramza, you'll be missed, and your example is certainly one worthy of emulation (not a thing we can perhaps say about all head admins!). You've had a level head, a sense of responsibility and responsiveness, and just a great sense of fun. It's sad to see you leave MS, but hopefully that'll just mean you have more time to post as a regular user.

You'd better keep posting, or we'll ban you!

7. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Jello! I am coming out of hiding and actually posting something to express my sincere condolences congratulations.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and Mikaboshi like this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The best of Luck Ramza at your future endeavors!

J7Luke likes this.
  9. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Sad to see you go, but I also wish you good luck with your new journey!

You shall be missed.

J7Luke likes this.
  10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Truly the end of an era...

Thank you for all of your hard work and your dedication to the forums. You will be missed, Ramza!

Good luck to you with everything and enjoy retirement! :)

Darth_Elu and J7Luke like this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Hey, this one is getting out before I had to frag him! Man, I haven't fragged an officer since my 3rd tour in Nam.

Oops, did I say that out loud?

You're all right, Ramza, no matter what people say about you. Hope you stick around with us regular Joes for a while.

Juliet316 and J7Luke like this.
  12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think you've done the best job as head administrator in the almost two decades of this place. Well done, Ramza. All the best in your graduate work and everything else.

13. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Ramza: I get what you mean about this board being a cool place to hang out, and that dedicating a good portion of your time to it isn't exactly something that someone who isn't a part of it would quite understand. Thanks for being a good moderator and for helping make this place what it is. And it was always nice to know that a moderator was also a fellow metal head. Good luck to you.

J7Luke likes this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Best of luck, Ramza! I'll miss working with you..

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    You've done a great job as head admin Ramza. Like other's I hope you stick around. [:D]

16. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Best of luck! You'll be missed. :)

J7Luke likes this.
  17. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    While saddening to hear, I'm glad you're getting things optimally on track for things as they are, Ramza. You've been king of the boards for as long as I can remember, and you couldn't have been more suited. Hope to still see you around as a continued citizen here. Hope everything goes well for you, and thank you

J7Luke likes this.
  18. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    You were the best! Miss our aim chats with the rpf. Life sucks when it gets busy.

-s65horsey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HanSolo29 and J7Luke like this.
  19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    On behalf of Fleet Junkies everywhere:

[​IMG]

As Ackbar would say, calm seas and clear skies to you on your next journey.

--Adm. Nick

20. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Thanks for all the fish?

Thank you for all your hard work.

J7Luke likes this.
  21. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Thanks for being a reasonable, even-keeled guy, Ramza. As others have said, I hope you don't disappear into the ether as some retirees tend to.

JoinTheSchwarz, good luck or whatever. I'm watching you.

Juliet316, jp-30 and KnightWriter like this.
  22. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks so much for all you've done for us, Ramza; it's much appreciated. All success to you in your future endeavors. @};-

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
  24. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Awwww, man, you were my favorite head admin, too. :( You take care, Ramza, and I hope to still see you around!

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    *Follows link to new player's profile; glances at Recent Activity; someone is leaving something, huh? Enters thread and scrolls up*

What in the-? Ramza ?

After a seemingly meteoric rise to the top position, three years feels like months, during which you have overseen great changes for the Boards, been approachable, visible and very level-headed.

In a handful of exchanges, I learned much about your higher level of student (can't remember the term), and a related insight into Big Bang Theory.

You have been great, your presence appreciated, and I am pleased that you are sticking around. You are, aren't you?

Sinrebirth and Juliet316 like this.