main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Stormtroopers, Shoretroopers, Death Troopers, and Hovertank Pilots (Tank Troopers) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by MotherNature's SilverSeed, Feb 7, 2016.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, yeah. :p

That's true, though.

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Someone told me this on the subway once. So definitely true fact.

vncredleader and Sarge like this.
  3. Merrick Simms

Merrick Simms Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016
    Might already have been pointed out, but this re-cannonises the TIE-Defender.

4. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    How do we even know Bossk issued a threat?

Maybe he had a traumatic childhood and being offended made him regress into being an over sensitive 12 year old who only speaks Trandoshan.

whostheBossk likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    What you didn't see in the shot was the donut Piett was munching on. Bossk was simply asking if he was gonna finish it. ;)

6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Lt. Hija Finally got an answer for you on this (If you don't know already) There is 1 Stormtrooper I can see on the ROK wearing an orange pauldron and 5 Stormtroopers on Jedha, 1 with orange, 2 with white and 2 with black :cool: I know you are a details man so I won't point out exactly where that way I don't ruin your "fine tooth comb" experience!

I'm obsessed with finding the character Tam POSLA (Fantastic design!) from the RO visual guide...still no luck.

whostheBossk likes this.
  7. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Avnar

Thanks, one more reason to impatiently anticipate the arrival of my RO Blu-ray. :D

EHT likes this.
  8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    So glad I found the Stormtroopers riding those tall creatures! I was bummed when I thought that wasn't included - Takes me back to the Stormtroopers riding Dewbacks scene from ANH... You can see them in 2 scenes in RO.

whostheBossk likes this.
  9. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Originally I thought the Tank Troopers were a stupid addition, especially considering the relative cleanness of Canon. I figured there were too many pilot-types in the Empire. Recently, I took a different look at the subject; The Navy has the "Tie Pilots", and the Army has the "Walker Pilots" with varying degrees of armor. Notice the Stormtrooper Corps doesn't have it's own pilots; It seems the Stormies would have to rely on Pilots from the Navy or Army to get transportation. Then I figured the "Tank Pilots" could easily be Stormtrooper Pilots. This would be a very nice addition to the canon, and is quite logical to the Empire's military structure.

Avnar, Snafu55 and vncredleader like this.
  10. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Is there still a distinction between the amry and stormtrooper corps in new canon?

11. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I see one behind Jyn and Cassian when they're walking down the streets of Jedha (and the camera pans and we see an Imperial probe driving is), but where's the second one?

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    vncredleader likes this.
  13. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    Unfortunately, Imperial Army Troopers aren't recognized as being the primary occupation forces yet. :(

14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Have a look at the city shot on Jedha just after K2 says "You're right - I should just wait on the ship" You can see at least 2 on the right of screen... Truth be told - When you blow this shot up on Blu Ray (if you have a large TV) you can see all kinds of goodies! The second (not the shot you are referring too because you can't see anyone riding it) is when the tank rolls into town in Jedha... One of Saws militia is looking through some blinds on a window and at the top of the frame you can see 2 Stormtroopers riding the creatures!

:cool:

I love this movie. There is sooo much going on in some of the crowd scenes - Takes me straight back to the OT. I spent hours today looking for a character from the Vis Dict...still no luck!

15. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    It's a shame to admit but I postponed putting all the stickers into the Rogue One sticker album, until my youngest son was asking me again to do so a couple of days ago. [face_blush]

Then he passed me one sticker to put in - and I almost passed out...

A Jedha stormtrooper with a BLUE pauldron!!! :D

Made "the circle somewhat complete"...

[​IMG]

I can now replace "conjectural" for MP lieutenant with "canonical". [face_dancing]

whostheBossk likes this.
  16. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    @Lt. Hija ...have you actually found a stormtrooper with a blue pauldron??

vncredleader likes this.
  17. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Yes, apparently it's a Rogue One publicity still (Panini sticker # 139) that shows five stormtroopers taking a group picture (!). The stormtrooper on the left wears a red or orange pauldron, while the one in the center definitely wears a dark blue (NOT black!) one. I don't have access to a scanner right now but would really love to see this one in high-res resolution. :-B

By the way, can anybody please post a front view image of the Rebel pilots either flying the Hammerhead Corvette or the Tantive IV???

The appear to wear a different kind of helmet with a black waistband! Unfortunately, we only see them from behind (apparently wearing a jumpsuit), so I'd love to see one of them from the front. [face_praying]

Snafu55 likes this.
  18. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016

[​IMG]
    Sorry this was the best I could get. The Hammerhead crew also have the blue vests.
    [​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  19. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
    I personally like the idea that Lieutenants wear the white pauldron as it blends in with the color of the standard armor making them less of a target at long range.
    By the way, black is the most common color seen on the sandtroopers in ANH implying that it stands for the lowest rank. Not sure about its frequency in RO.
    Are we agreed that the pauldrons are most likely for easy identification by civilians as opposed to military personnel?

vncredleader likes this.
  20. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Thanks for illustrating the issue,hopefully everyone now understands why I'd like to see a front picture of these starship pilots. ;)

Made a Google search "Rogue One stormtroopers" - nothing. Made another one with "Rogue One stormtroopers blue pauldron" and that's what I got

[​IMG]

That's the Panini sticker (but vertically framed, on the right there's a stormtrooper missing) I talked about. Admittedly it's an interesting question whether it's really blue or just an illusion because of the reflection of black pauldron material (which nevertheless stands in contrast to the black body suit (underneath the white armor pieces) below the pauldron. [face_thinking]

I agree, black is the most common 'color' (and most likely a lower rank), especially after the SE of ANH (BTW, that was the reason why I made the graphic in post # 440 and forwarded it to Lucasfilm, after I had seen the preliminary SE sandtrooper scenes which only featured black pauldrons).

I'm also very certain that the pauldrons indicate rank (orange was one of the rank bar colors in ANH, however the red would be probably darker - than illustrated in post # 440 - to distinguish it from orange), but then, why should a stormtrooper "Private" even wear a pauldron?

That's when it became clear to me that the pauldrons probably indicate Military Police (i.e. an MP private could even tell an 'ordinary' stormtrooper lieutenant what to do or what not to do), add to this that we've seen these stormtroopers perform police duties in ANH (Mos Eisley spaceport checkpoint, Cantina investgation) and RO (leading guerilla X-Wing pilots away).

EHT, Hyrum_Solo and vncredleader like this.
  21. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
    This is only a guess, but I think that the officer who was talking to Vader in ANH at the end of the Tantive scene is the same guy as the stormtrooper with the white pauldron on tatooine.

edit: does anyone have an explanation for why the tank trooper and shore trooper helmets look so much alike? Also does anyone have a side by side comparison?

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Tanktrooper helmet:

Shoretrooper helmet:

23. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I never noticed blue pauldrons in RO... in that image, I think the blueish tint might be the reflection on the black color (as mentioned above).

As those images show, tank trooper (hovertank pilot) and shoretrooper helmets have a similar shape, but the eyepieces / visors and mouthpieces in particular make them pretty easy to tell apart.

To make it more confusing... unlike the tank trooper / hovertank pilots, who have their own uniform and helmet that's distinct from the shoretroopers, the AT-ACT pilots are kind of a hybrid between hovertank pilots and shoretroopers:

[​IMG]

24. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016

It's essentially just a Shoretrooper helmet painted white.

Iron_lord and vncredleader like this.
  25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup, painted white instead of tan and with a regular Imperial logo on it instead of that red "circle with a missing part" that the shoretroopers have. And then the uniform looks like the hovertank pilot uniform.

vncredleader likes this.