main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC17 Wristbands and attending big panels at Star Wars Celebration Orlando (a mini guide)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by TK--421, Mar 27, 2017.

1. jerejerebinks

jerejerebinks Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 24, 2017
    ^ +1

If you're there at 8, you're good. Don't be part of the problem.

2. Darksider13

Darksider13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2017
    Understood, thanks. Have had issues in the past, not even at events like this, where someone lays out a specific line-up time but you get there and there's already like 50 people in line who wanted to be early. Granted I don't expect 3k people to line up at 8pm but I've been burned before lol. Will get there flat at 8. Thanks guys.

jerejerebinks likes this.
  3. Docgeo

Docgeo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 26, 2013
    I really want to see Filoni also. Do you think I will have much trouble getting into that one also?

4. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I think the other panels on Thursday besides the 40th Anniversary will be pretty balanced in popularity. You should be able to get it?

5. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, going off last year that won't be a problem. My group got there at 8 last year for the start of the queue. Plan was to be near the front of the Rogue One queue so we could then get straight in the Mark Hamill queue. We got both no problem.

One thing I've not seen mentioned here is that whilst there is a 2 wristband limit per day, that doesn't mean you're limited to just 2 panels. Wristbands get priority but if there are empty seats they will fill them so it's always worth going along before a panel and just asking if there's any space left. Obviously it won't work for the BIG panels, but with most of the others you could get lucky.

Another thing I think that's worth mentioning is that (last year) the security queue was much smoother for over night/early AM as it was just a table in the queue room. After you have your wristbands you can either join the queue for the main hall or go back to your hotel, sleep, shower, change, etc. We went back to our hotel last year and it definitely helped us feel more refreshed, just beware that the security queue will be much bigger when you come back between 7am-8am as everyone else who didn't queue over night will be arriving. The only reason to stay right through would be to be at the front of the queue to go in after VIPs, medical badges, etc. We did this subsequent days (when we came in early morning rather than over night). Being near the front of this line gave 3 advantages - you could be nearer the front of the queue for the hall for a better seat (which we never did, we always had a good enough view and the screens were huge), getting straight into the queue for the store or getting a lightspeed pass for priority entry later (not sure if they're doing those this year?) and getting a timeslot for ILMxLab's Trials on Tatooine (which I don't think is there this year).

Wish I could be there with you all. We loved the over night queue last year, trading stories and making friends (shout out to Scott, Amy and Anders who are all awesome! So jealous of you in Orlando right now). It was actually one of the highlights of Celebration for us and some of our best memories. It's just a fantastic experience.

Xinau, 80ninjas and DieWompRatDie like this.
  6. 80ninjas

80ninjas Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    They are doing lightspeed passes this year! Which is a good thing because the store in Anaheim was a nightmare!

While they're not doing the Trials on Tatooine this year, Nissan is doing a VR experience that sounds like it might be cool to check out. They're decking a Rogue out as an X-Wing and running a VR experience out of it. It sounds largely like an interactive ad but also sounds like something that might be really neat.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  7. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Sounds cool! With the wristbands to guarantee panel seats I'd definitely go to the store or VR experience first rather than try and get a front(ish) row seat. But that's just me. Gotta admit it would have been cool to be on the floor when Krennic and the Deathtroopers marched in!

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Celebration vets, if you guys had to guess, which panels could I walk into without a wristband? Ray Park and Ian McDiarmid? Keep in mind I don't care where I sit.

9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Those two, probably Anthony Daniels as well. At least, those were the three that I walked right into at the start and got a seat in Anaheim.

10. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    OK, I'd be perfectly okay with just seeing those 2 considering how last minute my decision was and the fact that this is my first celebration. Thanks for the reply!

11. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Ray, Ian and Daniels all are a good show. Billy Dee is the one to skip (I hate saying that as I am a fan).

12. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Not a fan of Daniels, he blocked me on Twitter lol

13. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    You know, I've heard everything from he's great to he's a total jerk. I guess it depends on his mood. If you go back and watch his panel from last year, it's great though.

Padme501st likes this.
  14. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    He's just an attention whore. I saw him walk through the morning line up at Anaheim once, I had heard he did it earlier in the weekend as well, and you could tell he just loves to bask in all the attention.

15. ticapnews

ticapnews Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015

That didn't happen. There were so many people waiting to sleepover they started a line. When I left around 5pm there were close to 2000 people in that line. It stretches from the entrance, to the end of the block, up the stairs to the land bridge and all the way across to the Rosen Plaza. I have no idea where it will go after that is full. The room that houses the sleepover and the wristband queues tops out at 4526 capacity. I asked a security guard what happens if more than 4526 people want to sleepover. "I don't know, my shift will be over by then."

This is my first Celebration, but after walking around today I'll add the following tidbits:
    A bottle of water is on sale from concessions at $3 a pop. Save your money. In most rooms there are multiple water coolers set up where you can get all the free water you desire.

The staff at the Convention Center is friendly as all get out. However, most fans seem more knowledgeable about the process than they do. That is a recipe for disaster. For example, today I went to apply for a medical sticker. The line was backlogged, but the lines for media and special guests were empty so they waved me over. I explained what I wanted to do based on what the website says and the woman had no idea. I even got out my phone and was trying to bring up the SWCO app to show her and she simply said, "You just need a sticker!" and peeled one off and put it on my badge. Not that I'm complaining, but that isn't how it works.

The convention center is gigantic. There will be a company renting mobility devices on site at 9am daily. They have scooters, wheelchairs and powered wheelchairs. I was quoted a $220 price to rent for all 4 days (plus optional $40 insurance) for a powered wheelchair. I am tempted to get one for tomorrow but given how crowded it will be I honestly think I will do better walking. However, it is an option for those who need it.

After being around so many people today, I can safely say this community of fans is fantastic. I met people today from all over the country, plus Germany, England and Mexico. The place down the road is billed 'The Happiest Place on Earth' but for the next four days, it will be over at the convention center.

16. Boba Tea

Boba Tea Jedi Padawan

Jan 31, 2017
    Do we know the room capacities of galaxy and celebration and bits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    There have to be at least 700-800 people in line already. It's nuts.

18. jerejerebinks

Mar 24, 2017
    Based on the numbers I just walked by , I'd double that estimate

19. jerejerebinks

Mar 24, 2017
    End of the line is well past adjacent to Rosen Plaza

20. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Since I've been here the one has grown two blocks.

21. jerejerebinks

Mar 24, 2017
    Crazy. just crazy

22. jerejerebinks

Mar 24, 2017
    Looks like the line has reached Exhibit Drive if anyone is thinking about being dropped off at the end of the line

23. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Anyone in yet? Has the front of the line moved yet?

24. jerejerebinks

Mar 24, 2017
    The front was moving in as I came through. The guy in the very front seemed like an Uber ****.

(Hope he's not a member)

LAJ edit - language

25. jerejerebinks

Mar 24, 2017
    SN: It feels amazing outside. Zero humidity and a nice breeze. I'd be fine with just staying out here lol

Rox likes this.