main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Stormtroopers, Shoretroopers, Death Troopers, and Hovertank Pilots (Tank Troopers) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by MotherNature's SilverSeed, Feb 7, 2016.

1. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I honestly would rather had the AT-ACT pilots be AT-AT pilots. We only saw them in Empire and even then not for long. I mean you could even have them be a mix of hovertank and AT-AT pilots. Or maybe even hovertank with the AT-ST helmet.

Avnar and Hyrum_Solo like this.
  2. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    You know, the tank trooper and shore trooper helmets remind me of this
    [​IMG]

vncredleader likes this.
  3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I was looking for quite a while last night with no luck... [face_hypnotized] Problem is - At a distance even if one of the Stormtroopers is wearing a blue pauldron it will probably look black.

Lt. Hija you seem to be all over all things OT related so sorry to ask this here (I don't want to start a new thread but I thought about this whilst watching RO and ANH back to back) ...but to your understanding at the time of the OT do The Empire have a garrison stationed at Mos Eisley? I only ask because the Stormtroopers that get sent down to look for the droids are all Sandtroopers...correct? Granted it is the SE but you can clearly see numerous Stormtroopers walking around with no pauldrons on - Just the standard troopers! You could take Darth Vaders comment two ways "See to it personally Commander" as in I don't trust the guys down there OR for him to accompany the guys going down there [face_dunno] Thoughts?

4. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015

In the book Complete locations it shows that Mos Eisley does indeed have an imperial base (a large one compared to the overall size of the spaceport) with many at-sts. Plus the sandtroopers in Mos Eisley were not all part of the team sent by lord vader (which was only about a platoon).

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Oh okay...cool! :cool:

Speaking of the word I've highlighted... I asked my wife to name as many Star Wars planets as she could (The prize if she got 5 was me cleaning her car) and all she came up with was Alderaan and Platoon [face_hypnotized] ...where the hell did she come up with that from??

Darth Mikey and Snafu55 like this.
  6. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    It was nice to see Storm troopers portrayed (at least in some scenes) as an actual threatening competent force. Yeah, the blind dude taking them out was cool ,but also a bit much (does their armor help stop ANYTHING? LOL).

Hyrum_Solo likes this.
  7. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015

[​IMG]

Avnar likes this.
  8. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I'm afraid, you are right. They probably "played it safe" by just featuring the motorbiker protection piece in its painted black and orange pauldron version. On the other hand

[​IMG]

I'll glady accept the AT-ACT "sergeant" with his red Imperial crest on his helmet as compensation. :D

All the sandtroopers that had disembarked from the Sentinel-class shuttle (Praji's team) in the SE wore pauldrons (apparently deliberately equipped with battered armor to meet with Vader's expectations in the extended screenplay, i.e. not to attract ANY attention). According to the original ANH novelization there was a garrison at Mos Eisley, and I believe that the MP troopers at the spaceport checkpoint and in the Cantina belonged to that garrison.

The stormtrooper you seem to have in mind is the one we see in the company of the MP troopers (definitely Praji's team) heading for Docking Bay 94 (not an SE exlusive). I guess he's a genuine part of the local garrison, merely acting as a local guide to help Praji's team find their way in the maze that is Mos Eisley spaceport...

Avnar and EHT like this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Curious did we ever find out which helmet it was they included in the film specifically because Lucas liked it?

10. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I think they said Tank Gunner

Gamma626 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  11. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Yep, that's the one! And it is indeed a sweet design.

Avnar and vncredleader like this.
  12. Qui-Gon Gin

Qui-Gon Gin Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2015
    Hearing about how this is just as much a ROTS sequel as it is ANH prequel. Would it be out of line to consider that the Death Troopers could be the last remnants of the clones?.
    They make their first appearance when Jyn is a child, and it's mentioned that she hasn't seen her father in fifteen years. I don't think the Empire would abolish the clones that quickly (starting around the time frame of the abduction scene that's a few years ahead of ROTS), would they?.

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    "Aren't you a little tall for a Clone Trooper?"

The Death troopers look way too tall to be clones of Jango (Temuera Morrison is only 1,73 meters tall, while the Death troopers are supposed to be around 1,95 meters tall).

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah... their height and the way they move seems different. Plus the little hints we've got in the books about their background suggests that they were natural born human recruits who got placed into the special training program that also may have included some sort of modifications or enhancements as well.

Also...
    Thread merge

15. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

You can see and hear the glass of the Stormtrooper's eye-goggles shatter when Chirrut smacked them with his stick. That must have been a little disorienting for them at least.

16. Beskad

Beskad Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2017
    As stated, 'officially' the Death Troopers are peak human soldiers who have been given 'classified enhancements'. Think of them as a milder version of the SPARTAN-IIs in Halo; they take the best of the best of the best, if they meet the height/build/weight requirements, they are probably given surgical implants or some sort of drug cocktail to further improve their senses or abilities.

As for the TK's lens shattering from the blow of Chirrut's staff,, maybe the tip is made of Mando Iron or something equally tough? i'll have to look over that part of the RO guide again.
    Supposedly most of the blaster hits troopers receive ust incapacitate them until medevac comes to treat them, due to the armor's properties, but in the movies, the plastoid armor helps about as much as the rebel's snubfighter shields do.

17. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
    Which is rather unfortunate. It kind of reminds me of the modern presentation of medieval armor. Pop culture has made armor penetrable by swords, arrows, you name it, without the armor giving even the slightest bit of protection. If armor was really that useless, no one in the middle ages would've even used armor. Turns out, quite the contrary is true.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

XIVth century Italian swordmaster Fiore di Liberi wrote that he'd rather fight ten times in armor than once without armor.

EHT likes this.
  19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

Mod edit: Had to remove embedded video; the visible video title contained a disallowed word.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm still in love with the death troopers' scrambled speech. :p This video is good just to hear it all in one package, but the translation guesses aren't bad either.

21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Deathtroopers are so wicked cool!!

Jim Smith and Avnar like this.
  22. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
    Seeing the translations brings so much more meaning to the Death Troopers.

23. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Funny...I'm going to go the other way - I like not knowing what they are saying! (Although you can pretty well guess) Makes them more mysterious :cool:

I'm so glad they went a different helmet style for the DT. Imagine how easy (and uninspiring) it would have been to use the normal stormtrooper helmet -painted black.

24. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    Cool, a Wilhelm scream in Deathtroopanese.

Avnar likes this.
  25. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Ah, yes. Shadow troopers...