main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Star Wars Adventures & SWA: Forces of Destiny comics (IDW)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, wonder how that works on the licensing front? I had thought Marvel's deal was exclusive? Perhaps the deal is being altered....

3. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Could be similar to Tales in that it won't be canon and Marvel has no desire to go down that road?

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Possibly, but the other reason Marvel was seen as getting the comics contract is that they were a Disney company and it keeps it all 'in-house', this breaks with that.

5. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    If this is the case, why not Dark Horse...?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Maul looking good.;)

Jedi Ben and tatooinesandworm like this.
  7. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    IDW recently published something else Star Wars, didn't they? A newspaper strips collection I think.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, but that's old not new material.

9. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Micro series fans should maybe like it:

[​IMG]

http://nerdist.com/star-wars-adventures-young-readers-comics-idw-celebration-exclusive/

10. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I thought of the same thing. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love what Marvel's been doing with the license thus far. But, if the new SW comics are to be shuffled with other companies, then DH is the one that deserves to be a part of this. Again, I'm not saying that the license should go back to DH - I'm only saying that if it has to be shared even a bit, then DH deserves it the most.

KikReask likes this.
  11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Am I, like, the only person who remembers when Dark Horse made a comic series called Star Wars Adventures that was aimed at kids and featured cartoony art designed to resemble the style of the original Clone Wars microseries?

I saw this and was immediately like, "Hey, I remember when Dark Horse made THIS EXACT SAME PRODUCT."

12. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Everything old is new again I suppose. I do hope Durge is reintroduced finally. The PT and OT characters do need more individual or broad world history since they lost so much with the EU(not that all of it was good but still) being whacked.

podjazd likes this.
  13. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    Okay I can get behind this, it looks like fun. I'm a big fan of IDW and their writers mostly in the Transformers brand so this should be entertaining at least. Still, it probably wouldn't hurt to see some non canon stories just branch out to wackier stories if they ever feel like experimenting. :)

14. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Doesn't IDW also publish a lot of Disney related comics like DuckTales and Mickey and Frozen comics? It would make sense that they already had a working relationship with Disney.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This is new and unexpected. I thought it was Marvel exclusive only? Now IDW is getting a bite out of the contract.hmmmmm interesting. True though, why not Dark Horse? They've done an excellent job, and while I'm not opposed to comic book shopping wouldn't they be the first ones to consider?

spicer likes this.
  16. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    IDW also publishes Star Trek comics and have been doing lots of crossovers with other properties (Doctor Who, Planet of the Apes, Legion of Super-Heroes, Green Lantern). With this new connection can Luke visiting the Enterprise be that far away?

17. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Considering Star Trek is supposed to be Earth's future, Luke will be very surprised to see movies, comic books, novels, and video games about his life on the entertainment section of the Enterprise computer. :p

"Who is this Jacen Solo these works about my family refer to? His name is Ben! One half of this material gets things right, but the other half gets things wrong!"

"How convenient that everything on this ship is written in High Galactic. What are the chances...?"

18. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Mia Mesharad and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  19. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Filoni and Lucas planned Durge to be a regular humanoid in a suit. Not promising. I want my vine gum Lovecraftian horror in a suit.

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

To be fair, the way Durge appeared and behaved in the Dark Horse Republic comics, you could've fooled me that he was anything other than a regular humanoid in a suit. A Gen'Dai, sure, but not some ropy, tentacle-monster "vine gum Lovecraftian horror in a suit," as you put it.

Vizzy91 likes this.
  21. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I only ever saw the Genndy version. The comics version I stayed away from after one panel.

22. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm confused about this series. Interviews says the stories are canon while Wookiepedia said they're not (or at least some of them aren't) what is the truth?

23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Where does it say that on Wookieepedia? Certainly not here.

24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I kind of really like the art, especially the cover with rey climbing through the SD. The one with Unkar Plutt is really scary though.

25. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It says the back-up stories may not all be canon, so I suppose similar to the little comedy shorts at the back of some of the Marvel comics (like SaBBotage and the one with the mouse droid in the new Vader issue).

Revanfan1 and SilentGuy66 like this.