main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC17 Seriously Disappointed

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Alison Organa, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Alison Organa

Alison Organa Jedi Knight star 1

May 4, 2016
    I've been to a lot of cons and always heard how well organized Celebration was.

Today was horrible. NO ONE on staff could answer any questions, we waited in a three and a half hour line just to get in the door to have them throw open security. Wristbands don't matter when you can't get inside. I'll never attend another Celebration. The live stream from my sofa is much more enjoyable.

Docgeo, jedimika and Boba Tea like this.
  2. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    That sucks. Things haven't been great on the live stream end either. The stream was interrupted many times during the 40th anniversary panel. This is always a problem during Celebration, and I'm not sure why they haven't fixed it. I've even upgraded my internet speed here, and it was working perfectly on other sites. Just the Celebration live stream was glitchy.

3. Dandman1021

Dandman1021 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2017
    Got in like at around 2 PM. Was told by a REEDPOP employee to go there. Turns out there was no line at all and it was pretty much a feee for all once doors opened

4. Christie zizo

Christie zizo Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2017
  5. Husker88

Husker88 Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2015
    New plan appeared to do next to nothing

6. Echosen

Echosen Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    Absolutely agree. It was terrible getting in today. I slept in;) got to the con at 9:45, the line looped down the side of west wing and all the way around to the back side, the back door said it will be open at 10:30. Our first pass of the rear entrance was at 10:45, not open. Out second pass going back to the entrance was at 11:15, still not open. When we finally get into the building we find out all other entrances are now open. The metal detectors weren't being used, no bag checks. So at some point some1 decided to pull the plug on security? Then when we get into the main hall, they direct people to walk clear across to the far end, only to double back, when there's no lines???

Alison Organa likes this.
  7. Christie zizo

Christie zizo Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2017
    I noticed the other front entrances were open and bag checks were uneven once i got in.

8. Echosen

Feb 1, 2017
    Reed Pop needs to send some staff to other festivals or cons, etc and take note.

9. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    They need to actually hire more staff than there was because many times there was no one around to help. I really wanted to volunteer to at this con. I'd applied and didn't get a response back. I guess it's for the better so I don't have to deal with the headaches.

Dewback and Alison Organa like this.
  10. Echosen

Feb 1, 2017
    Jamtia hiring more low level staff and security would have helped some, but they need help at the very top imo. Seriously, 7 metal detectors for 60k plus people? I've seen coach shuttle services(by the hundreds) cart 20k people away within 1 hr, running like a well oiled machine.

11. Sluice Friggins

Sluice Friggins Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 23, 2015
    And why stream Pablo and Dave discussing art we can't see, complete with them sitting in shadows as we missed the Bane/Fett duel? Baffling.

V-2 and Jedi Older Code like this.
  12. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    So Friday three entrances instead of one? Y'all let me know how THAT goes.

13. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Only one line right now though...

14. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    One line that hasn't moved in about 30 mins and the doors were supposed to open at 5am. I'm standing here, confused...

Edit: And the 2 other entrances are supposed to open at 6. It's going to be chaos again.

jerejerebinks likes this.
  15. Leia's Twin

Leia's Twin Jedi Knight

May 19, 2016
    To be honest, I slept in today after being there late last night, up at 4am the last two days. There is a lot of line standing at these things. I have had my bags check and gone thru the metal detector or get wanted each time I have gone in. I haven't seen this stopped at all. Getting ready to leave. Shortly and stay until 7pm.

To be honest, they need to sell less tickets. I was in the line to get in to the show floor yesterday am and 2 people who attended swc 3 & 4 and they commented about how those cons were more relaxed. I realized they were run by someone else, but I will bet there were less people!

I have met lots of nice people in line though, including the Star Wars fan club Bolivia! Thanks for the patch!

16. jerejerebinks

jerejerebinks Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 24, 2017
    They don't need to sell less tickets. They just need to hold it in a larger venue with a lot more preparation

Docgeo and Darkslayer like this.
  17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I had a great time but I can attest that it was managed poorly. I didn't get to meet Hayden because I had no idea where to buy those tickets :(

18. Echosen

Feb 1, 2017
    I actually wrote RP and they got back to me with a generic response. I'm not surprised. The more I think about it, I regret not standing up and saying something at the back door about how totally unacceptable this is and to speak with some1 in charge. It's 80 degrees outside, loop 1000's completely around the building, offer 0 water.. etc. I have a feeling the whole line would have banded together and maybe changed it up.

19. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    From a organizational and security perspective, the whole thing does seem poorly planned and executed. I feel for you guys who've stood in those queues. They looked miserable. I saw those lines wrapped around the building in the morning when I was heading to the hotel on the first day and told the cab driver: "**** that. I'm getting lunch."

I don't pay money to stand in lines for hours, not anymore at least. I'm perfectly happy to wait until well after the lines die down before showing up. Done that all three days so far. No waiting. Anything I missed, I can probably see on YouTube.

Also, they need to make up their minds on whether they are actually screening people or not. Between sporting events, TSA and dozens of federal buildings and other facilities, I've seen some terrible screening processes/personnel, but this might be the worst. Day one, I walked in and no one checked any of my bags or wanded me. They wanded me down today, but didn't bother to check the gigantic-ass camera bag* I was carrying in. What's the point if you're not going to do even the basics?

I've seen the other posts describing a full screening process, but that's worthless if it's not consistent through all entry points.

*My apologies to those I've bashed with that thing. It really is way too big.

LAJ edit - Language. A flimsy disguise for that word isn't allowed - it has to be asterisked.

20. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    I would definitely consider the VIP package to stay out of the lines for that long. It might be a fun experience once or a chance to rest, but you have to miss things and can't go to the restroom. What was it like for the VIP people?

Docgeo and Boba Tea like this.
  21. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    No restroom breaks?! Surely that's not right. I mean yeah when they condense the lines in the morning in might get a bit more awkward getting in and out of line but in London we had plenty of space, restroom breaks, food breaks both before & after wristband distribution. Based on the videos of lightsaber fights in the night I can't imagine it being that much different in Orlando.

22. smith6373

smith6373 Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2017
    Both during the overnight portion and once the lines started to condense there was ample time to step out to walk around, wait in the large line for coffee or go to the restroom. It was a little harder to do after the lines were packed, but still could be done. The overnight portion was very easygoing with ample walkways, patient new friends and tons of restrooms. Yes, we had to be there early and it was exhausting but the only way I could make sure we got into those panels. I'll do it in 2019 if I go.

Docgeo and ChrisLyne like this.
  23. Torz

Torz Jedi Knight

Aug 12, 2015
    As long as you were with someone, or preferably a group, it was generally pretty easy to stake out a spot first and then be able to go for bathroom or food breaks. The walkways were pretty clever as well during the overnight portion.

They could really do with opening up more food stands in the morning though. The lines for coffee and food were ridiculous.

Alison Organa and ChrisLyne like this.
  24. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    There was 1 pizza/Itallian place just outside the queue hall in London that was open every night for the over nights. Everything else was closed so they must have made an absolute killing, especially in the first night.

25. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Yeah but only 50 people or so qued up in London from memory..