main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CJ25 Star Wars Celebration (social thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Apr 16, 2017.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'd say Anaheim too, mainly because of the big arena they have to host all the major panels. Now that I've stepped back from it all, I cannot believe they held a 40th anniversary panel of the biggest film franchise in history, with all the major people involved with it in attendance, including George Lucas himself, in a room that was basically the size of something you would see at a hotel convention. I was there, I earned my spot doing the overnight, but now that I look back, what a ridiculously small space that was to host such an important and significant event.

I met a lot of people at Anaheim who kept saying how much better Orlando was. And now that I've seen both, I have no idea why they would have said that.

Dewback likes this.
  2. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I don't care where it is, I'm going. I had my tickets to London but couldn't make it. My family lives in Orlando, but I didn't have the money. In 2019, I WILL go to celebration.

Jedi Older Code and CaptainRegor like this.
  3. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I think that's because Anaheim 2015 was being compared to Orlando 2012 which was pre-Disney and the new movie announcements. Anaheim 2015 was the first US Celebration since the announcement and TFA hype was ready to explode at that point. I believe that was the first over night queue for a major panel & it's just got bigger since.

4. 80ninjas

80ninjas Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    I'd say that's why people said that too. Having been to both Disney-run US Celebration's now, I'd say Anaheim was significantly better in a lot of ways.

5. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I like the show floor in Orlando better both times I've been there. I also like the separate rooms for the 501st and the Droid Club in Orlando as well. I liked the main stage better at Anaheim. I like the Galaxy Stage for movie viewings better in Orlando. I like the food trucks and overall being further back from the road at Anaheim better, including the hotels right there. I also liked the fact you could walk to Disney better at Anaheim, which to me would make more sense for Celebration 2019 to be in Anaheim for Star Wars Land.

So in the end, having done both with large capacity groups, there's good and bad at both locations.

Dewback likes this.
  6. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Bold prediction...Anaheim will be announced as the host of the next Celebration on May 4th, 2018, to be held in 2019.

Padme501st likes this.
  7. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    I'm ok with tickets on sale May 2018, it helps with saving up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  8. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Anaheim has a better layout of their convention center than Orlando. Also, more rooms which can easily serve as overflow rooms for the big panels.

9. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm also pretty sure that it's going to be Anaheim in 2019. The rumours floating around during the weekend included Amsterdam and Tokyo as well. I don't think they will miss out on having a Celebration in the US ahead of the final sequel film, so that rules out any non-US location.

10. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    Excellent point, would seem like a good idea to have the main "Saga" movies "celebrated" in the US. (Despite how annoying it might be for us non-us ;))
    Guess I'll use it has an excuse to travel to California in 2019 then [face_laugh]

Guidman likes this.
  11. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014
    Do we know if they're actually tied to Disney properties, or just a pattern they've been following?

I'm holding out hope that they'll have one in Chicago. McCormick Place is the largest convention center in the US, and a new 10,000 arena is scheduled to open right across the street this fall. Finding convention centers that have a big arena and a lot of show floor/panel rooms is tricky.

That said, I definitely think they're going to be near Disney for the Star Wars Land debut.

Dayman76 likes this.
  12. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Somehow I don't see LFL being all that excited about gifting $40M+ to the local Chicago economy after what happened with the museum. And yes, it's not just GL himself, but he remains a significant shareholder.

Wouldn't hold your breath on Celebrations coming to the Windy City any time soon.

13. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014
    To be fair, that was an issue with George personally, not LFL.

I'm not holding my breath, either - mostly because Disney has nothing in Chicago.

Dewback likes this.
  14. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    If the last 3 Celebrations have taught LFL anything, it's that the demand for these events is exponentially growing. For the next one, they will be able to talk extensively about the making of two films, show stuff Episode 9 and also tease whatever they have on the slate for 2020. They'll hopefully either make sure that the venue can actually handle the 70,000 attendees well (ie, to make everyone's experience nicer) or limit the tickets to something that is manageable.

I'm hoping to attend the next, even if it's in the US. I'd really like to have that taste of the American experience versus the London ones, being so much larger and more extensive (4 days vs 3 is days is rather obvious).

Padme501st likes this.
  15. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I think it's got to be Orlando or Anaheim; there is no way they don't tie it to the opening of the new parks somehow.

Xinau and CaptainRegor like this.
  16. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    If it's going to alternate between Anaheim and Orlando in the U.S., I hope it comes to Orlando again in 2019. I know that means two Celebrations in a row in the same city, but I can dream. I really wish they would bring Celebration back to Indianapolis, since that's where Celebration II and III were held. Chicago or New York would be great cities to go to as well. If they only alternate in the U.S. between Orlando and Anaheim, I will have to make it to an Orlando Celebration.

17. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I wish they would bring it back to Indy as well for selfish reasons (within driving distance).

I have to think that they don't know for sure where they are going to hold the next one. If it was definitely Anaheim, I think they would have gone ahead and announced it. They may be waiting to see if the new Star Wars Land stays on schedule as far as construction goes.

Wherever they hold it, they need to make sure the main panel room can hold at least 5k.

If I did it in Orlando again, I would convert Hall D into the main stage (can hold roughly 11k) with Hall E as the queuing for that room. Then make Hall C the queue for the main floor (A-B). Take the store out of the main hall and put it in Valencia (Galaxy Stage this year) on the 4th floor (or move the autograph hall up here). Use Chapin as the second main stage. I don't know if this would work (you'd lose a little vendor space), but I think it would be worth a shot.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  18. JakkuScavenger

JakkuScavenger Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2017
    No, no, that makes too much sense....

19. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm sure there's some flaws in there. That was literally off the top of my head.

20. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Interesting...Episode IX just got a 5/24/2019 release date. I wonder when they would do Celebration? Would they do it in April right before release (like they did when the prequels were coming out). Or could they wait until after the film is released so Daisy and company can sign (If the rumors are true that they can't sign until after IX is released)?

21. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    I'm wondering the same. And I just looked up Easter 2019.... it's on April 21. If they do it prior to the movie, I call Celebration 2019 to be on April 18-21 so it will be Easter vacation (for a lot of families) and Disney park prices will be through the roof again, so more money to Disney. AND it's almost identical to the CIII dates. They could totally do a preview to the movie similar to what they did for ROTS. If they do it after... that's going to be 2 full movies without any Celebration panels for them prior to release.

And TOPPS better have their stuff together cause Daisy, Oscar and John signing??? it's going to be chaos

Valency Jane likes this.
  22. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    ^ I was kind of hoping for a December release. Nothing can compare with seeing the first trailer for TLJ in that room. I was at Celebration II and III. The sizzle reels for AOTC and ROTS showed a LOT. The ROTS one showed most of the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel.

Padme501st likes this.
  23. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Yeah I was at CIII as well, it was a pretty lengthy preview though it definitely didn't guarantee guest appearances for the movie. It reminds me how much I missed not having an Ep.8 props and costumes room this time around. I really enjoyed them at CIII and C6

24. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I really don't find this release date to be set in stone whatsoever. Personally, I think it's a marketing technique implemented so fans don't drift away from the anticipation too too much while knowing full well it is still going to be released in December. With the Han Solo movie being the first anthology that is going to actually deviate from the main story line, and with the gap from the release of the Han Solo movie to this supposed release date of Episode IX, and with no Celebration in 2018 to keep up the momentum, by giving this release date it will ensure that people will still keep their ear to the ground when it comes to anticipating Episode IX. Then, when that time comes, it will be pushed back, ensuring yet another six months of anticipation. December has come to mark releases for the ST with two years in between them, and I don't think they are going to stop that. That's my conspiracy angle.

Guidman likes this.
  25. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    ^ I was convinced that Han Solo would get pushed to December, but it looks like they are going to keep that May release date.