main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC17 Seriously Disappointed

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Alison Organa, Apr 13, 2017.

1. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    There was definitely way more than 50 but nothing like the numbers you guys had this time

2. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Yep. I def don't think anyone had expected 1500 people to line up outside the venue 2 hours before they were even let into the venue (I was about 1500 and I was in line at 6 pm) .. it really sucked for those who were there and still missed out (not to mention those poor, poor people who had to be in a 5 hour queue on Thursday morning just to get in the venue)

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  3. StarWarsFan1997

StarWarsFan1997 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    I went alone this year and never had an issue asking people next to me to hold my spot in line if I had to leave. The people I talked to in lines were universally cool and laid back.

4. jerejerebinks

jerejerebinks Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 24, 2017
    I was by myself and never had any issues getting out of line once I'd set up. I just kind of made friends with those around me and would say something like "going to smoke" or "restroom break" or something. No big deal. Wasn't like anyone was moving.

Docgeo likes this.
  5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I feel so bad that your Celebration experience went so poorly. Especially after communicating with you on here in the weeks leading up to it and just seeing how genuinely excited you were for it. The other members of this forum that I met there also agreed. I hope you give Celebration another shot in the future. I really don't think it will ever happen again the way it did this year, for a variety of reasons.

Alison Organa likes this.
  6. Alison Organa

Alison Organa Jedi Knight star 1

May 4, 2016
    I really don't think I'll attend another one. It was just too much chaos - on every single day. I'd rather watch a live stream of it than pay what I did for what I got.

7. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Before I even arrived in Orlando, I tried to anticipate every bad thing that might happen and how to deal with it (from experiences at previous Celebrations).

I arrived Wednesday and was considering camping out. I had called Reed a few times for clarifications on a few items--thus, I showed up with nothing that could not fit into a backpack.

What I saw in the line...well....
    1. Reed said nothing that could not fit into a backpack. There were sleeping bags, chairs, sleeping "bladders", etc. A LOT of large items. People were well prepared for the torture to come!
    2. I was told that at 6 PM there were about EIGHT HUNDRED people in line already! I decided to sleep in a nice bed, instead of using my small backpack as a pillow. (I've been through two lines like this (camp outs) already; Indianapolis and Orlando 1).
    3. About the dealer's room...There was a nice selection of merchandise, like it has been in the past.
    4. The Celebration Store. Major disaster. I stood in line for 4 1/2 hours to get what was left of the picked-over merchandise there. NOT a good selection.
    5. The Autograph area. I decided that I was NOT going to stand in line for autographs. But...what I saw was another train wreck. I wish Official Pix would have been there, because they knew how to organize a signing event. I have not had a problem with the way they dealt with lines.
    6. The spirit of the Convention among the fans was still there--and that is what made the whole thing enjoyable. (Even with aching feet!!!!)

8. Echosen

Echosen Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    Im with you on that, this was my first Con, and i have no interest to go to any again, esp with RP in the drivers seat with this. They have marketed comicons into a monster $ making machine, with all the terrible service. I mean come on, absolute 0 hospitality extended to guest. It baffles me. I just got a survey from Disney about the Galactic Nights experience, it was pretty lengthy. My bets that RP won't send any surveys.

9. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    RP usually does so if they don't this year it will be very easy to figure out why. I just don't understand how you can actually get worse with every Celebration. I get not expecting 3,000 fans by 9pm the night prior when you are used to 200-300. I get not expecting 60k fans at Anaheim when you are used to 35k tops. I don't get not expecting 75k fans when you sold out of 4 days passes 4 months prior and you know you already had a bigger crowd than expected the last time. I don't get not enforcing your rules. I can only excuse RP so much.

I'm very sorry for the first timers who were left with a bad taste for what is supposed to be a big SW family reunion.

10. ticapnews

ticapnews Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    It's especially hard to understand that they didn't prepare for that many people when the OCCC Twitter account boasted about that 75,000 number before the convention even started.

11. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    The biggest problems here can be boiled down to poor planning. RP has put on Celebrations 2 other times at OCCC and knew the layout of that building. They knew that the theaters could only hold so many people and that overflow rooms would be needed and yet none were provided. The layout of the show was counter intuitive (why have us camp out in line to get in only to then funnel us through a room which was partially used and then sweep everything into the third hall down? The cars, the AT-AT, and the props should have been further down and the exhibition hall closer. Also, inconsistencies in admittance and metal detection (seriously, why do we even HAVE metal detectors at a con?) made getting in a pain.

Topps also needs to rethink how they do autographs. Star Wars actors and fans are known for chit chat with each other, this isn't the case with Topps' usual clientele of athletes and their fans where stuff is usually just signed and handed back. Further, the photo ops need to be for a different time than when the guest will be signing. This created unnecessarily long lines at Celebration and left a lot of fans unhappy. Also, the tickets, line management, and so on, should all be copied after those done by Official Pix. They knew what they were doing and Topps clearly has no idea. And the photo ops need to be somewhere else and use a process that doesn't resemble a cattle call.

Alison Organa and DieWompRatDie like this.
  12. Echosen

Echosen Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    RP has no care that its set up poorly, simply because attendance for cons is in record numbers. Theres no excuses for the setup they had, even at the 35k attendee est, that setup still would've been inadequate. The 2 longest lines at swc were the lines that RP controlled.

13. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I wasn't at the closing ceremonies, but I thought it was announced there that RP would not be doing the 2019 Celebration.

14. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    There weren't made any announcements at all during the closing. ReedPop is not officially out yet.

15. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    no they just didn't announce it. It was a "hey see you in 2019 wherever it may be"
    They did thank Reedpop for all their hard work and brought part of the staff onstage so people thought it was more of a goodbye

16. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    People hear/see what they want I suppose. I'd be more worried if they didn't thank the crew

Padme501st likes this.
  17. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I got there at a little after 10 AM on Friday It was already free flow therefore no lines to get in. although there were no big panels left non writbanded panels were available and the stuff on the main floor is enough to get you through a day and you still don't see everything. I had a great time just to see it all was a treat! my favorite part was the Star Wars Show Stage, saw Warwick Davis and Anthony Daniels and Andi Gutierrez up close!!! I also checked out Star Wars Rebels Theater in the afternoon for three episodes, for a wind down in the afternoon and they had free water in a water cooler! and anything I missed I watched on the Live stream on my Xbox and 42 inch LG HD TV all weekend, between Actually going to Celebration on Friday, the Live Stream, and Yankees baseball I had the best weekend of my life!!!!!

I am definitely going back when it hits Orlando again and doing it the same way, I would suggest to anyone who is turned off to going to future Celebrations trying it the way I tried it, getting there later during free flow and yea, you will miss the panels but there is still so much to see and do and the rest of your weekend you can live stream what you missed!!!!!!

plus after celebration on Friday I needed two days after that to sit on the couch the rest of the weekend and watch everything I missed at the Friday celebration, I needed to relax and recuperate. I also missed a lot of the Thursday live stream as well because I was busy getting ready to go to Celebration on Friday. I guess the only reason this wouldn't work for others if you have a lot to do over the rest of your weekend but I had nothing else to do on Saturday and Sunday so it was all cool!!!!!!!

18. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014

I saw that and thought they were doing damage control. As if to say "yeah, some things were a nightmare, but most of the show was really great and these people put a lot of hard work into it, don't forget that."

Even after this, I don't see Reed going away, without a chance to prove themselves next time.

19. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Just saw an article with a Mary Franklin interview saying they were excited for Celebration 2019 and what new things they can bring to the table. I thought she was involved with ReedPop but the article says Lucasfilm.

20. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I remember at the closing ceremony in Anaheim they had announced something to the effect that she would be stepping down as the lead person in ReedPop to take a position somewhere else. It might have been Lucasfilm. I'm guessing that transition didn't work out so well. Because from the looks of it, after seeing her all over the place throughout the weekend, things like ushering Ray Park and Ashely Eckstein around, standing at the line entrance of the overnight queue with a counter in hand as we filed in, and basically monitoring everything herself from start to finish, she still seems to be quite at the center of ReedPop operations. It's like they can't do it without her being at the helm.

Docgeo likes this.
  21. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    I don't remember that but honestly makes sense cause she might as well had been in charge this time. Actually I saw her more this Celebration than I ever have, usually I just see her once or twice but you are right, she was all over the place

22. En Sabah Nur

En Sabah Nur Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 5, 2017
    Not been to any of these and never will do.

Sounds like I have always guessed - not missing anything but waste of my $$ and time.

23. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Well, if you have better things to do with your $$ and time then by all means do them.

Docgeo and QueenSabe7 like this.
  24. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I've been to every Celebration except to Celebration 1 here in the US--and I haven't been to the ones overseas. I am used to being in long lines for extended periods of time. Unfortunately, that's just the way they are--you have to work hard to have fun. Can anybody verify that this convention set up (including bracelets) was based off of the London Celebration model? I prefer the VIP and medical lines, and the normal entry lines for everyone else. What say you?

I was surprised at the number of first-timers. They seemed to be trying to enjoy themselves (despite the foot pain!). But--they agreed that the Convention was put together poorly, and the timing was bad. I also heard some say that they weren't going to come to another Celebration.

The main reason that I go to the Celebrations is for the camaraderie and passion for Star Wars. Everybody seems to be of like mind and we are all peaceful.

Valency Jane and Padme501st like this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The wristbanding was certainly at London last year though we didn't line up for that. (We paid for a hotel and were determined to use it). The main lines we got caught in were for entry where everyone had to go through security. Those went pretty fast once they got moving. After finding out that everyone with 'luggage' had to go through a separate bag check we left our backpacks at the hotel. There were lines at the normal places (Celebration store, etc) but the volunteers we encountered seemed to have their act together - we had no complaints on that score. (We went for all 3 days). I will say that I don't think the London event had as many people there - I heard 70K at Orlando this year. Not sure what the London total was.