main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force Awakens Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by jeykey, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The self pitying horn prelude to Kylo Ren's five note motif is fantastic. It brilliantly describes Ren's innermost confused feelings before being obliterated by the overcompensating blast of power and cruelty.

2. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016

Totally! The mood lighting in the film was a rather spectacular visual addition.

Martoto77 likes this.
  3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    the legend

RDeckard and Strongbow like this.
  4. kylorobes

kylorobes Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 3, 2016
    Torn Apart is one of my favourite pieces of music. So emotional

B99 and cwustudent like this.
  5. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    This is so good.

Just felt like a wee lunchtime share.

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah Rey's theme is a good one.

Howard Hand likes this.
  7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The other day, I was listening to the ROTJ soundtrack. I've noted before that the darker stuff relating to Luke, Vader and the Emperor is quite similar in style to some of the cues from TFA. That's a nice bit of connective tissue.
    This time, though, I was floored when I heard the part where Palpatine tries to kill Luke and realized that the end of the Emperor's Theme IS Kylo Ren's Theme - with the exception of the very last note!

If that's a coincidence, I think it's a most fortunate one.

cwustudent and Larsonator like this.
  8. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    They are similar. Kylo Ren's theme sounds like it's trying very hard to convey the same darkness. But the latent insecurity, laid down by the self pitying preamble, still haunts his declamatory fanfare.

9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Hard to imagine a time without Rey and Kylo's theme!!!

10. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016

Totally. I have to say that, for me, the use of the Force theme in TFA is now second to none in the movies.

This soundtrack gets better and better. I currently can't get enough of the swirling blizzard of strings that play underneath Kylo's fanfare. Reminds me of the Luke hanging from the gantry scene in the cloud city duel.from ESB.

BenYodaDagobah and Howard Hand like this.
  11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    These two themes get stuck in my head. They're great.

BenYodaDagobah, Martoto77 and B99 like this.
  12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    They sure are!!

BenYodaDagobah likes this.
  13. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    I put the CD back in the car player yesterday! I took RO (which is also great) out after listening to it for 3ish months straight then listened to the radio for a couple of weeks. Now I'm back home. TFA has a special place in my love of Star Wars music. I watched it the opening Friday night and listened to the soundtrack right after I got home. It was my first time doing this any movie and was such a great experience. Watching a new Star Wars for the first time, revisiting it through the music alone, then going back to the theater for more viewings and keeping my ears open for the music that I came to love in just 2 days. It feels so good going back to TFA. I got through the first 8 tracks and a little bit into "The Rathtars". Hearing the full "Main Title and Attack on the Jakku Village" again made me smile. "The Scavenger" is beautiful. Sometimes it hits me that Rey's theme is actually a theme for a new Star Wars character, and it makes me realize how moving her theme is and how well it represents her. It's already as evocative as any OT or PT theme and definitely one of my favorites."I Can Fly Anything" is still one of my favorites and hope to get more of Poe's theme in TLJ. It's gonna be fun listening more as we get closer to TLJ!

Howard Hand and B99 like this.
  14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I have so much nostalgia feelings with music.. Always nice listening to something you haven't for long time.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Moving away from new music for a while and then coming back to it is always an intriguing experience. Most times I love it even more. Sometimes rarely I wind up liking it less.

16. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    =(( and:_| while listening to "Han and Leia" and "Farewell and The Trip" again. There's no way I'll be able to hold back my tears during TLJ when any of Leia's themes start.

Padme501st and cwustudent like this.
  17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I too worry about welling up during Ep 8. =((

JawaShuffle and cwustudent like this.
  18. JawaShuffle

JawaShuffle Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 22, 2016
    John Williams is remarkable. He just has a way of evoking so much emotion. For TFA, my favourite would be Kylo's theme. Agree with others re. Leia's theme- was so hard to listen to when I watched the most recent celebration.

19. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I agree that the soundtrack was great, but did it sound a bit off to anyone else? It was like it's too high pitched, some of it just makes my ears hurt. Nothing like that in the previous six movies.

20. Jacques who

Jacques who Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 18, 2017
    I watched the whole panel sneakily at work. I got through the Carrie tribute dry-eyed and was like 'I AM MADE OF STEEL' and then within the first 3 notes of Princess Leia's theme I started welling up and had to mute it. I am not made of steel.

Larsonator, Sarge and cwustudent like this.
  21. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    anyone else sense a bit of a similarity to "Jedi Steps" here? :D

It's like poetry, its rhymes. Even the music, sometimes.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Larsonator likes this.
  22. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Only just occurred to me just how well Rey's theme is woven into "The Ways Of The Force" and also "A New Alliance" from TLJ.

Larsonator and Howard Hand like this.
  23. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    found another one ;)

#JarJarPrimeJedi

24. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I keep coming back to this score and it's maturing so beautifully. March of the Resistance gets me pumped and Kylo's theme takes me right back to the haunting conversation that Han and Leia have about their son in the shadows of the Resistance base, but Rey's theme is really the adhesive that holds the film together. "The Jedi Steps and Finale" is also the most well-written finale/end credits suite since ESB, orchestrating the major themes of the film together so well and taking pages from both the OT and the PT by ending on a gentle but benevolent note.

The same way that TPM's bright, brassy score took us back to a more pristine and idealistic version of the galaxy, TFA's score lets us know that the galaxy is still a dark place.

Jediking97 and Howard Hand like this.
  25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree, Seth. I too love the finale/end credits for TFA. It's regularly on my shuffle score playlist rotation for Star Wars.