main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You absolute starring star! The profanilty rules

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ender Sai, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    So, I guess this means anything in Yiddish is out the window?

2. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Ass is allowed? I kept on writing A-55. I don't support swearing AT people - even when starred, because it's clearly visible you're insulting somebody and not something or using a catchphrase, boooy do I take that as an insult - but some words used in idioms are not technically bad. Glad that I can say that I "worked off my ass".

And...kids are restricted in other places? Like, parents look at those warnings? I dunno, as long as my hypothetical child wouldn't order an Apache helicopter and a mail order bride online, I would not mind them watching anything, for as long as they have the sense of right and wrong. But maybe it's because my folks were like this and then I saw a skull in a poetry documentary and couldn't sleep. And then I got a phobia of a traffic sign. And then I blew my nose into a bandanna. :(

On a serious note, somebody does not allow me to use the words "crack" and "cracker" and they're not even a mod. Those words have no significance other than an onomatopoeia and a salty biscuit in most of the world. Come on.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Due to US COPPA (child protection) laws users have to be 13 or older. (Our servers are located in the US). If we see underage users we have to ban them. There are stricter rules on who can be a moderator if a site allows users under 13 so we don't.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I was talking about what people do at their homes, and I was partly joking (my sense of humour is bizarre - sorry); but now I learned something new. Thank you. :)

Here, the limits for consent, criminal law etc is 14 everywhere; but no actual rules for the 'net have been defined yet.

6. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    What this thread needs is another Address to the Site Owner from buttered muffins.

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015

This is nothing new. I learned this my first year here and have just tried to ignore the disparaging that goes on. It is worse in the JCC.

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The JCC is a terrible place, populated by terrible people. There are many who are bitter, angry, insecure, immature egotists, with sociopathic tendencies.

And that's just the nice ones.

Zapdos, Sarge and CT1138 like this.
  9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Late to the conversation, but we've used starred out words for swearing for many years. Yes, I've used it a lot. But it really isn't a deal breaker with regards to kids and most kids between ten and seventeen have the most foul-mouthed language you've ever seen. Yes, these forums are family friendly. But that's not the same as kiddie safe. This is how it is.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Step away from the mirror, Diggy. :p

Ender Sai and Diggy like this.
  11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You think I'm nice? [face_love]

Sarge likes this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    **** no!

Darn it, Diggy, look what you made me do!

Diggy likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Keep it to the social threads and social forums, guys.

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    If you're not going to change the words in deference to the baby Jesus... why is the thread even open anymore?

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    As someone who might use the rare swear like "what the ****" which you all can totally understand and read as the actual word. I still believe it's better to keep the filter since there are some words that I just don't want to ever see. It's not really a big deal to me at least.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm glad. It's really good to know, since apparently there is still scope for change based on the thread being open still (SUP MODS)