main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info The Last Jedi - The First Trailer [be warned - video, pictures, and discussion within]

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by TCF-1138 , Apr 14, 2017.

1. King Prana

King Prana Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017

I acknowledge that we don't know for sure but why would they be racing towards Walkers ?

2. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    In Star Wars Rebels (of which I'm only in the first series of, so no spoilers please :) ) isn't there an explosive powder-like substance Sabine uses, setting off the explosions remotely? That red stuff getting dropped could be a boat load of a similar type of thing, ready for detonation when the walkers reach it...

I also think there is some voice mixing going on in the trailer, but with different lines than suggested above ("It's time for the Jedi.... to end" is all Luke IMO). I think the lines "What do you see?" and "It's so much bigger" sounds more like Ben Solo than Luke. However, regarding the dialogue, there's quite often dialogue used in trailers that's not used in the final film, and Hamill has said that he had to record some dialogue 'for the trailer', so there's really no knowing what's going on and how much of it is just there to hype the film at this stage.

A Rian Johnson interview has really thrown me in a spin about Rey's parentage. The implication being that the subject is addressed but not necessarily confirmed, and it seemed he was almost about to say that it depends on your perspective (a la "...from a certain point of view"), but he stopped himself after the word 'depends'. Daisy Ridley has also spoken about how, in TESB, just because Vader says he's Luke's father, the audience didn't necessarily believe that at first, as if that same sort of uncertainty might be relevant in TLJ. But it's so hard to tell whether they're being straight with us at this stage and or just playing games.

I dearly hope that Luke is going to appear to not be her father, but then ultimately, in Ep.9, we find out that he is.

3. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Who says they are First Order Walkers? [face_thinking]

Dark Lady Mara and Lulu Mars like this.
  4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I think those ships look rather piratey [face_thinking]

Sarge likes this.
  5. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    Funny story (to me, anyway) that I'll share here as I don't have anyone who'd be that interested...

So I saw on Twitter that the trailer was out. I tussled internally for about 2 minutes about whether or not I was going to watch it, but decided to trust in LFL/Disney (and glad I did - another well done Teaser) so rushed with my phone into my bedroom for some one-to-one Star Wars time. I grabbed my headphones then threw my duvet over my head for blackout effect.

So there I am, headphones on, blacked out viewing, almost hyperventilating in anxious anticipation, and I plug my headphones into my phone. My phone registers the headphones and starts autoplaying... screen goes black.... I wait, on the very tip of excitement... and out of the darkness and into my ears plays "It's Britney, bitch!" - my phone had resumed playback of a Britney Spears greatest hits album we'd had on in the car (don't judge me!) right at the start of 'Gimme More'. Under the circumstances, this cracked me up.

Anyway, back to the trailer:

- I haven't found anyone anywhere talking about what's happening to Rey at the start of the trailer. I can only think of a few possible explanations - either she's had a distressing vision, or Luke has been force choking her for some reason (e.g. just to demo the power of the dark side), or Kylo/Snoke has turned up on the island.

The way Luke collapses to his knees when looking at the burning temple, it reminded me of Anakin collapsing in front of Sidious after Windu is killed, although looking at that clip again Anakin doesn't actually fall to his knees at first, so it's probably nothing more than 'that's what folk look like when they're collapsing'.

6. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    It could be Rey reeling from another vivid force induced vision. Or it could be Rey discovering her powers of force agility and coming down hard after leaping so high.

Maybe it's a metaphor. What's a metaphor? It's phor (sic) confusing people who can only appreciate things literally.

7. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    If Luke's line is meant to be taken literally, this could be a great risk for the saga. However, we need to see why Luke came to this conclusion. He was prepared to rebuild the Jedi, so I want a compelling reason for his change.
    One of my biggest surprises was Kylo Ren only having a small scar and the same lightsaber. I always thought Rey destroyed his lightsaber on Starkiller Base, but I suppose she just pushed it down. I also wonder when Rey will start wearing her new hairstyle. We just saw her old hairstyle in the trailer. No sign of Laura Dern or Benicio Del Toro's characters yet, but I imagine they will be saved for a later date, or the film's release.

8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    The shot of those landspeeder things
    reminds me of the Podracing for some reason.[face_dunno]

Padme501st likes this.
  9. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    Luke's line might make more sense than we think. Have you seen Rebels? There's one character in Season 3, the Bendu, who's very much about being in the middle. That one shot of those books and that tree like growth in the background reminds me a bit of him, in a way.

Rey in that first shot (falling to the ground, gasping), could be any number of things. It looks like there might be a cave of some kind in the background, and it might be a bit like the tree on Dagobah. Or maybe Luke said or did something that affected her. Or another planet/star system is destroyed and she's reacting to the shockwaves of those deaths. Or she might have had an intense Force vision.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    The teaser poster is just... =P~

B99 likes this.
  11. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    One of my favorite posters for sure!

Lulu Mars likes this.
  12. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    One other thing I love is that the color scheme seems primarily based on red, white and blue. The poster has red framed in white, with a significant touch of blue front and center. The ground battle in the trailer features a white surface with red dust (?) issuing forth from underneath, which makes for an interesting blend of Geonosis and Hoth.
    It generally feels like TLJ will mirror AOTC and TESB in a fresh way, just as I've hoped! [face_dancing]

Tho Yor likes this.
  13. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    This shot has a Karate Kid vibe too it.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    More like Highlander, IMO.

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  16. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Oct 8, 2000
    So, I watched TFA today and then I watched the trailer for TLJ right after. It certainly gave me a different perspective on the trailer. Has anyone else done this?

Lulu Mars likes this.
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Nope, but I'll have to try it :)

18. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Considering how the trailer begins, it should tie in nicely with the end of TFA!

19. King Prana

King Prana Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    I see nobody else thinks the last line may have been delivered by two different characters.

The word 'Jedi' certainly doesn't sound Luke.

20. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Sounds like Mark Hamill to me.

21. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    The trailer might be deceiving in terms of context, but I don't believe that particular line has been glued together from two different characters/scenes. I think Luke really does say "It's time for the Jedi to end".
    Between the trailer and the title, LFL are pushing the idea really hard: We will see an end, or the beginning of an end, to the Jedi in this movie.
    Whether it's meant to be just a temporary end, a mistake on Luke's part, a true end, or something else entirely is something we can speculate on 'til our brains hurt, but the premise is clear. They wouldn't call it "The Last Jedi" if this was in fact not a major plot element.

22. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Oct 8, 2000
    I don't know if you're familiar with Mark Hamill as a voice actor, but he has a tremendous vocal range. He definitely sounds a bit different at the end of the trailer (more emotional perhaps), but its definitely still him.

Lulu Mars and TCF-1138 like this.
  23. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003

I think the last line is said by either:
    1. A Character other than Luke, and was edited to look like he said it.
    or
    2. Said before Luke reluctantly agrees to train Rey.

24. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Hamill has already said the line is his, but I definitely agree with you on point two.
    Cobbled together my complete thoughts in video form:

25. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    Great point about the Jedi Brand