main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. darthosaka

darthosaka Jedi Master star 1

Oct 25, 2012
    I agree with Chris Stuckman that the whole "Journey To" thing has been a mistake.

2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Well, not that many of the "Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens" actually felt like they lead to the movie. Most of them seemed more focused on the original era, with a few token Easter eggs. The two books that actually set up the movie in a meaningful way -- Before the Awakening and Rey's Survival Guide -- weren't even included in the project. The "Phantom Limb" comic that was supposed to be a part of the series got delayed so long that it was released without the series header.

On top of that, and this's purely subjective, I don't think that they original "Journey to..." series had that many great installments. Lost Stars was the big standout.

The YouTube reviewer guy? Where'd he say that?

Now, I like the idea of it in concept, and, while I may be a little hard on the original "Journey to..." series, it was still fun. I'd like to see Last Jedi do it again, but have more stuff that actually bridges the movies together and introduces stuff, like how Catalyst set the stage for Rogue One.

3. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

It is not -- brand-new book written by someone else.

I don't have a book in the "Journey to Ep 8" series. But am really excited about a number of the titles. Claudia Gray writing Young Leia? Delilah Dawson writing Phasma? Sign me up! And that's just the beginning.....

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  4. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Howdy! I'm going to a Star Wars party this Friday at Short Stories in Madison, N.J. -- and you're invited. Come say hi! Details here.

Daneira likes this.
  5. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    People wanted it to give away all the big surprises of the movie instead of beginning the journey from VI to VII by seeding and setting the stage with characters (The Bey-Damerons, Snap Wexley, Jess Pava, Emmatt)/concepts (Luke's fascination with seeking Jedi knowledge and artifacts, the mystery and mythic status of Luke, cults fascinated with relics of Darth Vader, the New Republic, mysterious Dark Side stuff from the Unknown Regions, The Resistence, General Organa)/locations(Jakku, D'Qar)/aliens (Abednedo, etc) and other themes.

In short, those who were disappointed in the branding didn't really want to begin the Journey To The Force Awakens, they wanted to be told what the story would be IN The Force Awakens.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Its kind of hard to give away the surprises of a film that is that bad. All of these characters are just replacements for characters that actually mean something to me. Not a new idea, though it is a new idea for Luke to do nothing with the knowledge or to apparently not find anything. What mystery and myth of Luke, I saw a broken man who failed miserably. What New Republic, I saw a bunch of naïve idealists who didn't deserve the name. If the New Republic was actually worthy of the name, then there should be no need for the Resistance or General Organa. There is nothing special in a Tatooine remake and a Yavin 4 remake.

darthosaka likes this.
  7. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Perhaps this isn't the best thread for this well-worn discussion?

8. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    My kids love their Star Wars. That's damn special and meaningful enough for me.
    [​IMG]
    And that's all I'll say on that in this thread.

9. darthosaka

Oct 25, 2012
    So everybody must have the same opinion as your kids?

10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    As Jason said, this is not the thread for this. So cut it.

11. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    EDIT: Not worth it.

12. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Yub nub, freedom fighters! Will be at the East Brunswick, N.J., library this Saturday the 13th with two Star Wars talks -- one for kids and one for adults -- and books to sell/get signed. If you're in the area, come say hi! Details here.

Endol likes this.
  13. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    You need to come to the UK Jason to do a book signing session at our bookshops!! albeit I would come with an armful of books for signature!

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Jason was in the UK for Celebration last year - I met him there. What bookshop do you work for?

15. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I was gutted I couldn't go to Celebration - the timing was all wrong for me. I don't work for a bookshop! I used the term "our" in a national way as opposed to any actual affiliation!

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Ah - I thought maybe you worked for Smiths or Waterstones. My mistake!

Endol likes this.
  17. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Would love to get back to the UK -- so much I want to see and do over there.

Hey, maybe some nice con organizers will make it happen one day....

Endol likes this.
  18. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Mr. Fry,

I noticed on this official article of upcoming Star Wars books, you're writing a Last Jedi tie-in book besides the Rebel Files gift pack, but the place holder cover image doesn't list the exact title or what the book is (it's the last one on the list, after Michael Kogge's junior novelization of the film). Are you at liberty to say what this second book is and when we should be looking for it in stores?

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  20. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    TLJ novel and bomber command book?! Another busy time for you.

Obviously you are right lipped on the novel, but can you give us an info on bomber command? Is it in the same guise as Rey's survival guide or a mini cross section book?

21. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Atlas question, Jason. The book mentions and describes a species called the "Nartians," for, I believe, the first time in the franchise. My question is, are these supposed to be the little four-armed, stalk-eyed guys that pop up in WEG illustrations a lot? The description sounds very similar to me.

22. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Jason, good luck for this special project, TLJ novel? The force is strong here!

23. darthosaka

Oct 25, 2012
    The Nartians first appeared in Tales From The Mos Eisley Cantina.

24. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    I really liked Rey's Survival Guide.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah to reiterate this, this little book was a real surprise. There was a lot more worldbuilding and plot lures opened up in this journal than many kids' books. I think this is what really made me want a Rey video game on Jakku -- there are a lot of crazy mysteries and folks there to explore.