main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Crossover Writers Support Group

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Theodore Hawkwood, May 18, 2017.

1. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Crossovers, where fanfiction writers combine our beloved Star Wars universe with anything one wants to name. To me, they're a lot of fun. Heck I've been writing crossovers for seventeen years now.

So what are some crossovers you've written over the years? What do you think of crossovers in fanfiction? What are challenges you encounter writing/publishing these kinds of fanfics?

These are just some of the topics I'd like to use this particular thread for, for the crossover writers out there.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  2. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    As a reader I prefer works where one or at most a couple of characters from one universe visit another one universe. Or maybe one or at most two concepts from one universe is active. Emphasis on one or at most two.
    In my experience crossover writers are always combining five, or maybe even ten universes, with their ensemble characters interacting. For me that's just too complicated.

for example.
    I was reading one fanfic, I don't remember the name or the whether it was here or on some other place, but it was about Harry Potter/Star Trek crossover, with Hermione Granger attacked by Borgs and assimilated. It was the BEST ever. However, soon men in black got involved, it was an instant turn off for me.
    Then I think the x men got involved and introduced multiverse travel....

I think as writers we should definitely introduce some ground rules in the first or the second chapters where readers would have definite ideas as to:

1. who is the primary protagonist (the protagonist in the main universe, where conflict occurs)/location of conflict (I don't like to read about universe hopping every five sentences)
    2. which villains are there and whether he/she/it came from another universe.
    3. exactly which universes are involved.

now that crossovers follow the above 3, it is important not to introduce new universe/characters from new universe/concepts from the at most second or third chapters (maybe within 4000 words. Otherwise it's too complicated.

3. Theodore Hawkwood

Jun 17, 2014
    MartyAvidianus, this quote was pretty good for ground rules:

One factor to consider is one fandom, Kingdom Hearts, is for all intents and purposes, one gigantic crossover in and of itself and introduces interdimensional travel rather early on.

4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I have only dabbled in crossovers in my drabbles. In one of my previous drabble sets, I crossed over Doctor Who and Warehouse 13. It was pretty fun and pretty short. I am not an epic storyteller. I prefer to work in vigs or drabbles. There be my wheelhouse. I did one some time ago where Grandmaster Skywalker visited Deep Space Nine. I could have done more with that but never did.

5. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Luke Skywalker on Deep Space Nine? That could be interesting.

My Dare Challenge story was a Trek/Wars crossover, featuring Mace Windu meeting Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

6. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    My favourite crossover -- am told now it's not a true crossover, have to be Kameron Hurley's Mirror Empire and Empire Ascendant and her third novel in the series.

7. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Theodore Hawkwood likes this.
  8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Just so you are aware, a lot of my crossovers don't involve SW. If we are not allowed to mention non-SW crossovers in here, tell me now.

To lead into what I feel is my most notorious SW crossover, I risk having a rant.

This is Star Wars, not the A-Team; all those blaster bolts flying about, somebody is eventually going to get hit. And if Chewbacca had been slain by enemy action, I would not have minded. But Anakin Solo's blue-on-blue stunt, ignoring his own Force Levitate ability as a jedi; the Millennium Falcon's freight-loading capabilities as a freighter; and the orders of the ship's captain Han Solo while he is still on the ship; I was very, very, very angry about how the situation went down.

I supplied Angel the Vampire with a magic portal, equipped him with climbing equipment and a fire axe; and sent him through, directly into the Falcon's cockpit, to sort it out, and perform a rescue.

Very cathartic, slapping that little mynock about, with Angel's trademark technique.

9. Theodore Hawkwood

Jun 17, 2014
    To clarify: Non Star Wars crossovers are most definitely welcome.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  10. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    Sith I 5,

"Ignoring Force Levitate, the Millenium Falcon's capabilities as a freighter, and the orders of the ship's captain while he is still on the ship"

am I missing part of the conversation?

Are these pet peeves when you read fics?

11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Sweet!

* cracks knuckles *

(Ow, not doing that again.)

Possibly. In the EU book that Chewbacca lost his life, a rather dire situation and set of circumstances were being played out to justify the result...

I'm on my phone, but if you need me to spell out what happened, let me know, and I'll do it when I get home.

As an avid SW reader up to that point, I believe that I spotted three things that Anakin did wrong, ignored, or whatever, in making his decision to abandon Chewbacca to get smashed by a moon.

12. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    oh I see, Vector Prime. a long time ago did I read that novel.

13. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    [removed] and yes, I wrote it.

Mav Edit: Since this is a discussion thread, naming fics isn't allowed. If someone wants to know about a fic, please take it to PM.

brodiew and Theodore Hawkwood like this.
  14. Theodore Hawkwood

Jun 17, 2014
    I disagree, honestly. Done badly, a crossover of multiple universes can be terrible. But with a skilled writer, who can engage his or her audience, five or ten fandoms crossed over isn't bad. One example is RogueFanKC from fanfiction.net. His 'Kingdom Hearts: Mutants of Twilight' combines at least three fandoms I can remember off the top of my head. It's well researched, written, and quite engaging.

15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Stardestroyer.net, I think, used to feature an epic Star Wars versus Star Trek story, which I prized for keeping both fandoms balanced.

Theodore Hawkwood - thank you for starting this thread! Mining my memories for past crossovers is revealing and quite pleasurable. So much to write down.

My eventual BSPAWSID (****-**** Physics, and Wierd Situation Intervention Division), or "I-Div" for short, team, features Spooks, NCIS, Torchwood, Star Wars characters or OCs; and can pit them into other fandoms, eg. Resident Evil's Umbrella Corporation's Japan facility, whilst the cloned Alices are running through it.

16. Theodore Hawkwood

Jun 17, 2014
    The vast majority of my fanfics on fanfiction.net are crossovers. One of them [removed] is an X-men Evolution, G.I. Joe and NCIS crossover.

Mav Edit: Since this is a discussion thread, please don't name specific fics. If someone wants to check out a story that is mentioned, please PM.

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Fanfiction.net had a concept story that never occurred to me, once; NCIS investigating the many marines perishing in the Stargate Programme at Cheyenne Mountain! Stargate SG-1.

18. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005

That is a pretty interesting idea, Sith-I-5.

Just this morning, I was pondering how Han Solo and Indiana Jones might meet. I was trying to compare and contrast the characters in my head. Anyone want to take a shot at the compare and contrast?

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    A long time ago, pre-internet, when I first discovered Star Wars fanzines; there was a story where Darth Vader was looking for Han, and instead encountered some unfriendly bloke with a bullwhip!

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  20. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I will post here later when I get home from work!

21. Theodore Hawkwood

Jun 17, 2014
    Ronin Toad (linked here for the curious) an X-men: Evolution and G.I. Joe crossover, was one of the earliest crossover fanfics I ever read. It inspired an entire generation of X-men Evolution fans, myself included, to write crossovers like that. The author's name is Red Witch and she's one of the more prolific and talented writers on fanfiction.net.

The basic premise is Toad is kicked out of the Brotherhood by Magneto and left for dead. He's found by the G.I. Joe team and raised by one of its members as his own son. It's quite a cracking good read.

22. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I have two Star Wars/Star Trek Voyager fan fics and an Inheritance Cycle/Star Wars one shot.

I have read a couple of good Star Wars/Stargate/SG-1 Fusion fics on AO3; I will warn people that one of them does have bad language (f bombs). i won't spoil the details.

I've read the Star Wars/Star Trek fan fics on Stardestoryer.net and while i liked them I felt that they were a little harsh on the Federation but it did open doors to some deeper questions.

There is a Star Wars/Star Trek WIP on FFNET that I am following that is okay. I think that at least Kirk is done well (he made a stupid choice that almost went badly for him and the team he took with him) and while i think the author has overplayed the strength and firepower of the Enterprise I still think it's a good fan fic and good characterizations.

I think you need to strike the right balance in a fan fic and not turn it into a curb stomp battle or turning into x is better than x.

i think I'll check out the NCIS/Stargate fic.

23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hey guys, let's remember since this is a discussion thread, not to mention fics by name. You can talk about what type of stories you've written, and what types you like, but naming them is considered pimping and against the rules. If someone mentions a type of fic that you think sounds interesting and you want to know the title or want a link, please PM that person. Thanks! [/mod voice]

I don't dislike Star Wars crossovers, I just tend not to be as attracted to them as I am other crossovers. My absolute favorite is probably NCIS/Sentinel. I've never watched The Sentinel before so I knew nothing about it the first time I read such a crossover but I became obsessed. I've also read a few NCIS/Sentinel/Stargate stories that were really good. One of my favorite fanfics of all time is a NCIS/House fic.

I guess I mostly just really like NCIS crossovers. :p

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  24. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I have written two crossover SW fics, a Doctor Who crossover and a Narnia crossover. Both are really well written romances, but what bugs me is that people like them, BUT never leave feedback! :(

25. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    I look at number of views. (I try not to visit page of my fic, because I don't want to skew the numbers)
    If I post it (it's going to be number 1 for view) and I will leave it alone until the title gets bolded (someone reviewed it).
    For example my fic had about 30 views on monday, 45 on tuesday, 55 on wedsnesday, and to day it got 66 in the morning. (COMMANDER, EXECute order 66.)
    I know I edited it for format so it skewed it maybe 10 times.
    so, I know that at least 50 people was curious enough to click on my story, so even if they did not review
    I got 50 people to click, and out of those say 50 people even if some people don't read it in whole (my story didn't interest them) so even say 10 percent read it in whole, I would have gotten 5 people who enjoyed it.
    and that's enough for me.

pronker likes this.