main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story... score now by Michael Giacchino

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Nov 2, 2015.

1. Takes One to Rogue One

Takes One to Rogue One Jedi Padawan

Jan 4, 2017
    Anyone have any idea what's happening with Star Wars Oxygen? It's been five months since part one of their Rogue One analysis.

2. Larsonator

Larsonator Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2016
    David has been very busy with work as well as a new baby and wanted to take some time off.

cwustudent likes this.
  3. Takes One to Rogue One

Takes One to Rogue One Jedi Padawan

Jan 4, 2017
    Ah right.
    Disappointing they didn't stream this panel:

http://fangirlblog.com/2017/04/star...17-the-music-of-rogue-one-with-david-collins/

cwustudent likes this.
  4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    So I've been listening a lot to Rogue One since TLJ came out and I have a few observations:

1. I still really love the score and most of Giacchino's new themes.
    2. I get what he was going for, but I think he should have closed the film with Leia's theme into the end titles, rather than the Force theme yet again. Missed opportunity, in my book. The force has nothing to do with what happens there.
    3. I do LOVE the new Imperial music, which seems to be associated most with Krennic. For the scenes involving the Empire as a whole, shots of the Star Destroyers and the Death Star, as well as any scene with Tarkin, I really wish Giacchino had used the old Imperial Motif from ANH. I feel this would have helped tie R1 to ANH even more. And it's an underused theme from Williams. Too bad it only appeared during Vader's scene.

General Kenobi and Larsonator like this.
  5. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I have no problems with the score in RO. Really felt like a brand new Star Wars theme. Magnified my enjoyment of the film. Next to the action the Imperial theme and the theme at the end was well done.

6. coervus

coervus Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2017
    I have to say that I think it's the other way around: The scene represents a passing of the baton from the fallen Rogue One crew to our OT heroes. It is in that sense a very spiritual scene, which justifies the Force theme. Leia, important as she is, is just the messenger here, and to intensify the focus on her by using her theme wouldn't have felt quite right to me. That music means much more beyond the hologram scene, after all.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    And so we have like five films that all end with the same thing. Seems a bit much don’t you think?

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Also, do you really have no issue at all with the music during the Rogue One title card? That works for you and lives up to the adventure of the film/series?

9. coervus

coervus Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2017
    Ha, I realized that today while listening to the TLJ soundtrack. Fair point.

Strilo likes this.
  10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah and this one just seemed an opportunity to use something else. I mean I get it. Giacchino was going with the music from the beginning of ANH, which was the right choice for everything after the statement of Vader's theme up until we see Leia. He opted to use Herbert Spencer's old orchestration of when Leia is handing off the plans to Artoo, which... I guess there's the tie to the moment in her ship at the end of Rogue One. I just... I wish more films ended with something other than the Force theme.

Howard Hand likes this.
  11. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I would have to listen to it again. The opening was superbly done for me it did capture the show as we never got to see an Imperial Shuttle closing in on a planet and straight into the intensity of the film. Distinguishes it from all the others. Chapter V or Chapter whatever this time the music and the set piece explained it all without the need for the opening crawl.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh I love that track. The opening of the film music ("He's Here For Us") is fantastic. I mean the title card bit itself, which is the ending of "A Long Ride Ahead."

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  13. Kladdagh

Kladdagh Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 9, 2017
    I think Michael Giacchino is a great composer ... Liked what he did for star wars Rogue One and also for star trek ... =O

14. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I agree with all of this, and I'd like to mention how much I've come to love Jyn's Theme. It's sweeping and dramatic; it plays well softly and boldly, heroically and tragically.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The former Music Administration is in agreement.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    themoth likes this.
  17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I truly hope these find a physical release. Added the new Rogue One to my Music Library last night!

18. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Having now had a chance to look at the new soundtrack in detail, there's still one missing track, a short cue from when Jyn and Cassian arrive at Jedha City (between tracks 11 and 12 on the expanded OST). None of the source cues made it in either (which Solo's deluxe edition did include). The intro and outro to the credits are missing also, probably because they're very similar to the standard SW credits tracks used in the other films. Otherwise it's all here :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I cannot believe that they still left out the end credits stuff.

20. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
  21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I'm honestly sick of these releases that are vinyl only, without a CD release. Even worse is when they do vinyl and cassette, but not CD. :rolleyes:

themoth likes this.
  22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Cassette or CD I can handle. However I have no way to play vinyl at this point.

23. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    There is a complete score for Rogue One on Youtube. It has 45 tracks. Not sure how it compares to this one.

24. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    If the videos were published before this week then it's probably just a mix of OST, FYC (For Your Consideration promo tracks), and SFX filled bluray rips :p

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah I will go with the Apple Music lossless version... :deathstar: