main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Does Everyone Become A Force Ghost?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ObiWanKnowsMe, Jun 1, 2017.

1. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    So I've always wondered. Do just Jedi live on through the force post-death?Or do all living beings live on?

[​IMG]
    Since the force links all living beings
    [​IMG]
    does this mean that all living beings go to force heaven after death? obviously Qui-Gon was deeply intune with the force, therefore he could communicate via voice after he physically died. And we see Anakin,Yoda, and Obi-Wan visually appear since they were deeply intune with the force. But is there like a Force Heaven where all spirits live on after they die? Thoughts?

Ghost and Nibelung like this.
  2. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    If the ROTS and the Clone Wars are anything to go by, the Jedi didn't discover the ability to manifest after death, a couple of older force users discovered that. But it's only Qui-Gon (partially), Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin of the Jedi that have transcended.

When a being dies it goes from a part of the living force, to a part of the cosmic force, and only those force users with the right training can retain their consciousness in the latter.

J7Luke and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  4. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    I'd say it depends. Are you a bad enough dude that people want to speak to your Force ghost? :p

5. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    darkspine10
    That would suck to lose my consciousness. I'd definitely try and be a jedi. Then again
    [​IMG]

"To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret."

6. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I think in a way, their consciousness always remains somewhere or is transformed into the force. Very few can manifest themselves as ghosts. Qui-Gon could only manifest his voice, while Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin could take a visible appearance.

7. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    Darth Dnej
    that's how I've always viewed it as well.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  8. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I've heard that it takes complete selflessness to "become one with the Force" and therefore become a Force Ghost. Therefore, most people aren't going to get to that point.

edit: lol. I just realized how that sounds. Sorry, lol.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    When a living being dies, their "energy" transforms into the Force. They become part of nature, if you will. They don't retain their identity. That's something Qui-Gon discovered and taught Yoda and Obi-Wan.

10. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    Alexrd
    Is this something that Qui-Gon mentioned in The Clone Wars tv show?

I know the reference during ROTS where they talk about QuiGon

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes. Qui-Gon learned to retain his identity, but not his appearance due to his training being incomplete. Yoda learns it fully, same with Obi-Wan.

12. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I prefer to think that everyone retains their personality after physical death, though few have the ability to transcend the gulf and actually contact the living. That way Ani is reunited with Padme and his Mom in Light Side Heaven. I'm just sentimental that way.

13. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    It would seem possible. Qui Gon "discovers" this power after death. Vader likewise. Leaves the door open for anything.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Ghost like this.
  14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Qui-Gon knew of this power before his death, he just didn't finish his training. It seems to be a gift given only to a selective few.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

"Voices."

YODA: "How are you here?"

QUI-GON: "I am a manifestation of the Force, a Force that consists of two parts. Living beings generate the Living Force, which in turn powers the wellspring that is the Cosmic Force."

YODA: "Show yourself, can you?"

QUI-GON: "I cannot. My training was incomplete. All energy from the Living Force from all things that have ever lived, feeds into the Cosmic Force, binding everything and communicating to us through the Midichlorians. Because of this I can speak to you now."

YODA: "Any hope that the Jedi can prevail is there?"

QUI-GON: "There is always hope, my friend, though it often comes in forms not looked for. The key is knowing how to see it and seizing that opportunity. I have been tasked with guiding you forward. There can be many outcomes, but your path is clear, Yoda. You have been chosen, as I was before you."

YODA: "For what chosen, am I?"

QUI-GON: "You will learn to preserve your life force, and so, manifest a consciousness which will allow you to commune with the living after death."

YODA: "How?"

QUI-GON: "Dark times are ahead, and forces of light must remain. This is the path of only a few Jedi."

"Destiny".

SERENITY: "At death, in order for you to preserve your identity, you must know yourself, your true self, and then let go."

"Revenge Of The Sith".

YODA: "Failed to stop the Sith Lord, I have. Still much to learn, there is..."

QUI -GON: "Patience. You will have time. I did not. When I became one with the Force I made a great discovery. With my training, you will be able to merge with the Force at will. Your physical self will fade away, but you will still retain your consciousness. You will become more powerful than any Sith."

YODA: "Eternal consciousness."

QUI-GON: "The ability to defy oblivion can be achieved, but only for oneself. It was accomplished by a Shaman of the Whills. It is a state acquired through compassion, not greed."

YODA: ". . . to become one with the Force, and influence still have . . . A power greater than all, it is."

QUI-GON: "You will learn to let go of everything. No attachment, no thought of self. No physical self."

YODA: "A great Jedi Master, you have become, Qui-Gon Jinn. Your apprentice I gratefully become."

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  16. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Qui Gon began learning how to communicate from the netherworld before he died, but in secret. Doesn't sound exactly selfless. Why not share his wisdom so that others could continue in the event of his death?

Was it perhaps because the desire for a power which effectively grants immortality is considered to be unnatural and not really "letting go"?

Might openness about this have retained Anakin's faith in the Jedi with the hope of not having to lose a loved one irretrievably? And prevented him from misguidedly seeking his own solutions to his anxiety?

17. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Since when are those mutually exclusive?

It wasn't meant to be.

No, because it requires complete selflessness to have the ability to retain one's counsciousness after death. There's no lust for power. And there's no immortality since one needs to die in order to have their counsciousness preserved in the Force. They aren't immortal. They've died already.

No. Because Anakin should let go and not be attached. And nothing excuses his greed and selfishness. He was given the correct advise on what he should do by the Jedi, and chose not to follow it.

theraphos and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It was. The dialogue was meant to appear during his meditation on Polis Massa.

20. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    Alexrd

Did Anakin not learn selflessness? I assume he did if he became a Force Ghost. Not sure how or when he did

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He did, as seen during the climax of the film.

After he died, Obi-Wan and Yoda helped him retain his identity in the Force.

22. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    There were a couple of different ideas for ROTJ:

ObiWanKnowsMe and Nibelung like this.
  23. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    So being so deeply attached to his son that he would not allow him to die at his Master's hand and saving him showed how Vader learned selflessness?

Qui Gon should have perhaps taught himself to let go rather than seek immortality, in secret. Likewise Anakin should not have grown attached in secret.

24. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    I would argue that a truly selfless Jedi doesn't have a Force ghost. But then again, that might be the problem with taking the Jedi philosophy to an absolute.

25. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Anakin chose his son's life over his own.

And only a Sith deals in absolutes. ;)