main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanon Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FanonSock, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Gamiel - If TSC did the one for Starkiller Base, they can expect a visit.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. FanonSock

FanonSock Jedi Master star 1

Nov 11, 2014
    Hello everyone! Since we’ve come to the beginning of a new month, I thought I’d check in. First, several content updates:

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 has updated her fanon posts on Companies and Food and Drink.

divapilot has updated her post on Marfa with new information on Mehrine wedding customs and customs relating to children and inheritance.

Gamiel has added a new post on corporations, which he did not PM me about—bad Gamiel, no biscuit. :p It’s in the index now, but people, please do remember to PM the sock when posting a new fanon post. Thanks. :) [/bad cop]

leiamoody has added a new post, on the original planet of Xaan Doro. (This probably should have been in my last update post back in May—my apologies for not mentioning it then.)

Also, our Fanon Yours ’n’ Mine Challenge is still in effect (and will be until July 24), so I thought I’d ask how that is coming along for people. Any ideas, thoughts, questions, concerns, etc.? Always glad to help out fellow fanonistas. :)

Finally, here’s a brand new discussion question, just because it’s been so long since we’ve had one:

What are the marks of good fanon? What factors, in your opinion, distinguish particularly effective fanon creations from ones that are less so? (And if “consistency with established lore” is one of your criteria, please be able to elaborate on it a bit, because there are a lot of different ideas about what consistency, well, consists in. :p ) Do you feel these factors apply to all fandoms, or are your criteria different for different fandoms?

Discuss, and enjoy—though as always, be civil (so, for example, no naming of names when you’re discussing less effective fanon creations, etc.). But you all know that. :)

Thank you all, once again! @};-

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sorry, I was meaning to but forgot.

I have more or less finished my first chapter and have begun to work on what's to follow.

Need to think a bit more on this before answering

Findswoman likes this.
  4. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    Does good spelling and good grammar count? Or even the way the words shows up in the forums/websites? Or are we more concerned with fanon content?

as for fanon content, don't repeat what other people have already said. no plagiarizing.

Findswoman likes this.
  5. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I was reading a story on AO3 the other day, and there was a scene where people were getting coffee. It told what kind of coffee one of the people got, and my brain went, "Wait a minute. That sounds familiar." I read the line again, and...... They used one of my coffees! I totally squeed!

Daneira, Sith-I-5, Ewok Poet and 2 others like this.
  6. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    My work-in-progress Chommell Minor. The things in italics are real-world things that could possibly be equivalents, visually or otherwise. I'd be interested in hearing what else everyone thinks I need to add to flesh it out more. This is my first time attempting to develop a planet.

SYSTEM: Chommell Minor system
    Planets: Chommell Minor, Shemayon, Ya’qon, Ioannell, Haios

PLANET: Chommell Minor

Moons: Fengari 1, Fengari 2

Fengari 1 - No atmosphere, barren rock
    Fengari 2 - Congaree National Park/NJ Meadowlands, red soil. Neutronium and zersium. 65% Human, 30% Pantoran, 5% other. Aside from the mines and mining camps, most of the development on Fengari 2 is corporate-owned mixed use areas, such as Mermun Pasture, which includes hotels, restaurants, corporate offices, various chain shopping establishments, and a holo-theater. Most of the mines on Fengari 2 are operated by the various durasteel companies on Chommell Minor, but there are a few independently-owned mines run by Pantorans. Most of the company mines have a large amount of Pantoran workers who are paid less than the human miners.

Chommell Minor

Demographics: 94% human, 4% other including Rodian, Pantoran

North Rheinland-Westphalen

Chommell Minor was founders by members of the Chommellian religious cult of Grizmallt around 3500 BBY. The Chommellians believed the largest planet in the Grizmallt system, a gas giant called Chommell, was the domain of their god Chommus, as well as the spirit world. Chommus was a lesser god in the polytheistic Grizmallt pantheon. The Chommellian belief system was that the universe was perfect and governed by strict mathematical laws. Their main religious ceremonies were very musical in nature (think gospel music) as harmony was thought to be very mathematical. In recent times, the idea that humans are mathematically purer than other species has been catching favor, though this was not an element originally when its practitioners were likely to live their whole lives without ever meeting an alien.

Though originally known as Chommellians, that term has, on Chommell Minor, come to represent all the residents of the planet, particularly the humans. To nonreligious Chommellians they are known as “people of the faith” or “followers of Chommus”. Their religious events are referred to simply as Worship by the people of the faith and “Chommus concerts” by the nonreligious. Though only about 12% of the population at this point is actually religious, many consider it part of their cultural background, and even the least devout enjoy attending Chommus concerts. Many Chommell Minor institutes of higher learning were originally religious in nature, and the planet is home to notable universities teaching subjects such as math, philosophy, and music theory.

Chommell Minor’s main export is durasteel. Its moon Fengari 2 contains two ingredients necessary for its creation, neutronium and zersium. Not surprisingly, the oldest durasteel companies on Chommell Minor were founded and originally operated by Chommellian monks. Chommell Minor is not your average industrial steel world, though -- the planet is full of beautiful architecture and home to many galactic chain restaurants and stores (often at the expense of there being hardly any “mom and pop” stores or restaurants in the more occupied areas).

Gamiel, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, I used one of your coffees, Cowgirl Jedi 1701! Since you went to the trouble of thinking up fun cool stuff. [face_batting] (But not on A03, since I don't know what that is).

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Asking permission is key.

When I wrote the attack on Skywalker's jedi academy, I really wanted to tie-in with Aiel 's awesome response to same: Poe Dameron and a squadron of trainee X-Wing pilots, rocking up to Yavin...but she was not around for me to ask; so I was forced to utilise one of my old Nebulon-Bs, to drop off a squadron of Z-95s, instead.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Darn it, I just realised that my plans of using Anedon 's Athenar in my Fanon Yours ’n’ Mine Challenge fic is not larg enough to for the challengs premise. Have to come up with some idea to make their role larger or use something else in a large role. Have to think something out, or creat a new fic. [face_thinking]

---------

Daneira I like the use/combination of mathematics and religion on Chommell Minor :)

Now some questions :vader:: How do the people dress? How do their architecture/s look like? Is there a kind of technology/gadget/items that they don’t have/use or is unique to them? Any unique superstitions? Any kinds of festivals/holydays of interest? What kind of martial tradition do they have and what arms and armour do they use? Any ideas about the animal and/or plant life? How is their food? What species make up the largest minority groups? Any group/species that they have prejudice to? What do Chommellians think of non-Chommellians who are really good at math (like the givin)? Where are those transmissions you intercepted? What have you done with those plans? :vader:

--------

That sounds like a plot bunny [face_thinking]

Daneira, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  10. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Anybody is welcome to use my fanon stuff if they want. It would make me happy.

11. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Findswoman and I have collaborated on some fanon for the Lasat :zeb:

Lasan and the Lasat
    by Raissa Baiard and Findswoman

The Planet of Lasan
    Population: approx. 175,000
    Capital city: Lira Zel (pop. approx. 40,000)

Lasan is an arid planet, whose rocky landscape is marked by many rock formations, including broad mesas, sweeping arches, and tall, narrow spires. The soil has a characteristic purple color due to the fact that it is high in copper and strontium.

Because of the arid climate, underground springs and reservoirs are the most reliable source of water, though Lasan also has several riverbeds that fill up during the wintertime rainy periods. There are both freshwater and saltwater lakes, the latter being known for their strange and fantastical salt formations.

The largest single body of water on Lasan is the saltwater Lake Yabsh, which lies just to the north of the capital city of Lira Zel. It is roughly the size of Earth’s Lake Michigan.

Wildlife
    Prongbok: an antelope-like creature well adapted to Lasan’s rocky terrain and arid climate. These quadrupeds are a bluish gray in color, with white fur on their rumps, sides, breasts, bellies, and across their throats. They have a dark blue blaze down their nose, and a dark patch under their chins. Both males and females have short, but sharp, pronged antlers above their eyes. Prongbok stand a little more than a meter tall and weigh 50-75 kg.

Sheep, rock goats: Sure-footed, domesticated ruminants herded for wool and dairy in the foothills of mountainous regions.

Konculor: a large feline predator. Lavender-gray in color, a konculor can stand nearly a meter high at the shoulder, and can be over 2 meters long from nose to tail. They prey on prongbok, sheep, and rock goats, but are rarely seen near populated areas.

Banthas: Domesticated banthas are herded on the plains for meat, milk and leather.

Spear-boar: Hoofed, porcine mammals with spiky fur ranging from gray to brown in color. Though they are not large (usually slightly smaller than sheep), they are fierce, stubborn, fast-moving, and difficult to hunt. Their meat is greatly prized.

Massiffs can be kept as pets, and various breeds are used to help with hunting and herding.

Flora
    Bristlecone: a large, extremely long-lived conifer. These trees have twisting trunks and are often found clinging to rocky, inhospitable slopes. A symbol of longevity and perseverance.

Geniper (cf. juniper): a tree with small, waxy leaves and blue gray, cone-shaped fruit. The fruit is often distilled into liquor, and is also used in curing meat and flavoring food, particularly salads. The unprocessed fruit is said to taste like a cross between mint chewing gum and industrial glue.

Mazna berries (cf. greenleaf manzanita): a spreading, green leaved shrub with clusters of showy pink, urn shaped flowers. The flowers are followed by green berries which turn rusty red when ripe.

Major Industries
    Mining: The mineral-rich, rocky terrain makes mining one of the biggest industries. Precious metals, gems and other semi-precious minerals are mined.

Textiles: Bantha wool and sheep’s wool are both used in making finely woven textiles, which were some of Lasan’s earliest exports, particularly their colorfully patterned rugs and cushions.

Distilling: Another of Lasan’s earliest industries; their fermentation techniques have long been considered superior. Geniper and mazna berries are distilled into liquor, and the Lasat make a potent, dark ale.

Explosive manufacturing: The Lasat developed potent explosives, thanks in part to the availability of key minerals.

Government
    Lasan is governed by a hereditary constitutional monarchy (see http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Royal_family_(Lasan)). In the early Imperial era the monarch is Queen Ingruna II of the Argorfiros dynasty, who at that point is in her 50s or 60s.

The royal palace is located in its own broad, flat canyon, just north of the capital city of Lira Zel and surrounded by cliffs and spires. It overlooks Lake Yabsh to the north; to the south of it stretches the Royal Lasat Parade Grounds, and gardens and greenhouses lie to the east and west. Looking northwest from the Parade Grounds, one can see Mount Straga, at whose summit the Academy of Shamans is located.

Lasan High Honor Guard

Each of the main Honor Guard divisions is made up of 10–12 squadrons that in turn consist of 12–15 Guards each (mix of officers and enlisted). Each squadron is divided into subunits of 4–5 Guards each, with the highest ranking Guard in the subunit acting as its commander.

For those interested in entering the Royal Lasat Military Academy (RLMA) to train to be officers of the Honor Guard, a rigorous entrance examination is required, with both written and practical components. Entering cadets are usually anywhere from 17 to 19 dust seasons old, and progress through the RLMA curriculum is based primarily on accomplishment and merit rather than age. Most cadets attend the RLMA for three dust seasons and take comprehensive qualifying examinations in their last year.

Commissioned Officer Ranks (lowest to highest)
    • Second corpral (the rank one has in one's last year of the RLMA)
    • First Corporal (the rank one usually graduates the RLMA with)
    • Junior Lieutenant
    • Middle Lieutenant
    • Senior Lieutenant
    • Commander
    • Captain
    (Yes, I realize I am taking a bit of a liberty in adding the rank of corporal to this mix, since it's a noncommissioned officer rank—at least in the US—and the others are commissioned officer ranks. I am still working out some of those details, and as you see I don't yet have a list of noncommissioned ranks.)

Honor Guard Medallion/Seal
    Sketch by Findswoman, motto devised by Raissa:
    [​IMG]

Tours of Duty
    One to two years after graduating from the RLMA, Guards are deployed on a mandatory tour of duty that can last anywhere from one to three years. Guards may come home for brief holidays and leave periods, but these are fairly limited. Further tours of duty, trainings, etc. may be taken to advance one's rank.

The Honor Guard All-Terrain Rover (HG-AT-R) is a large, armored, partially amphibious, all-terrain troop transport/reconnaissance vehicle used by the Honor Guard.

Honor Guard hymn
    Keeraw, Lasan, keeraw!
    Our honor shall defend thee,
    For thee our roars we raise,
    For thee our bo-rifles blaze.
    Thy foes will cringe in awe;
    Keeraw, Lasan, keeraw!

Listen here (music composed and performed by Findswoman).

Sheet music available as pdf here (please ask permission from Findswoman before redistributing).

Lasat Culture
    Children, Family, Courtship
    Juvenile Lasats are known as kits. A Lasat’s stripes begin to darken around puberty. Children have no stripes or very faint ones. Prominent stripes are considered attractive.

Male Lasats tend to go bald at an early age.

Climbing the rock spires is a rite of passage for Lasat youth; young males endeavor to climb the tallest spires possible, particularly the one known as the Warrior (cf. the Sentinel in Bryce Canyon). During the Storms’ End Festival (see below) young males will often try to climb the Warrior in order to impress watching females.

When climbing the spires to impress females, young Lasat males will often look for the most beautiful, most interesting stones to present to them as gifts, or even as betrothal tokens (see “Language of Stones” below).

Naming Conventions
    Male siblings often have names beginning with the same prefix (e.g., Garazeb, Garashai). Male name suffixes (-zeb, -shai, -gron, -bor, etc.) are often passed down from one generation to the next; for example, three successive generations might be named Avishai, Nereshai, and Garashai. Besides a regular full name used for everyday purposes (e.g., Garazeb Avishai Orrelios), each Lasat has a ritual form of the full name that includes a patronymic or matronymic (e.g., ai Garazeb ai Avishai kh’sa’-Nerezeb-ga’ Orrelios) and that is only authorized to be used by members of the shamanic classes.

Language
    “Karabast!”
    This common oath, whose exact meaning is lost in the mists of time, exists in many variations and can take on the force of a shamanic invocation depending on the context, speaker, and form. Some of the variations are listed here:
    • karabast upon karabast
    • (akh) kara basta
    • (akh) karabast’aka
    • (ai) rrhu’karabast’aka
    • (ai) rrhu’khu’ (ai) karabast’aka
    Language of Stones
    Stones of various colors, sizes, shapes, and geological compositions are exchanged as gifts on Lasan, from friendship tokens to courtship gifts to tokens of familial affection. The different colors, mineral content, luminescent properties, etc. of these rock gifts have different meanings, much in the manner of the language of flowers on Victorian Earth, and different types of stones are appropriate as different types of gifts.
    • Green shades: joy
    • Yellow or orange shades: enlightenment
    • Pink crystals (rose quartz and similar): love, especially new love
    • Red crystals (especially dark red): true love
    • White streaks or flecks: purity
    • Black streaks or flecks: mourning, sadness
    • Gold streaks or flecks: eternity, eternal loyalty
    • White or gray, opaque: perseverance in adversity
    • White crystals: beauty
    So, for example, a green stone with gold flecks would represent both joy and eternity/loyalty and could be appropriate as a gift to a friend. A small rose quartz stone—pink with white veins—would represent the innocence or wholeheartedness of new love and would be appropriate as a romantic token. Stones of any color with black streaks are a no-no for friendship or courtship gifts but are commonly used in grave markers. The size of the stone ties into the type of gift being given as well, with small to medium stones appropriate for more casual gifts. It is customary to give a very large, showy stone—preferably a very spiky and distinctly colored crystal that one has found oneself—as a betrothal gift; here, especially, one must be very conscious of the colors and characteristics chosen.

Shamanism
    The Lasat have their own tradition of Force-based shamanism. Youth who are identified to have an affinity for the Ashla (as the Lasat call the Force; see http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ashla) are trained starting in their adolescent years at the Royal Academy of Shamans, located on Mount Straga. The Lasat High Shaman serves simultaneously as:
    • head of the eight-member governing body of the academy, known either as the Consistory or Revered Masters, which serves a function analogous to that of the Jedi Council (see also below on the shamans’ ranking system);
    • spiritual leader of all Lasat shamans; and
    • (at least nominally) main spiritual advisor to the royal family.
    Around the time of the rise of the Empire this title was held by Chava the Wise (Chava Merkavitou Behanrrocha). The moniker “the Wise” was conferred upon her as part of this title; each High Shaman is given a moniker of that sort (the Wise, the Learned, the Scribe, etc.), though it is not necessarily unique to each shaman (i.e., there were previous High Shamans known as “So-and-so the Wise” as well).

Lasat shamanism has historically been female-dominated, and many of the most prominent sages, prophets, mystics etc. are female (e.g., Osthi of Feldspar Falls, Skoura the Learned, Berura, etc.), though both males and females may be shamans, and the training process and the hierarchy are egalitarian. Shamans may marry.

Female shamans wear a ring-shaped medallion in their hair as a sign of their rank. Since most adult male Lasat are bald, male shamans wear the ring-medallion on their clothing instead, usually close to the collar or over the heart (which is on the right in Lasat anatomy).

Ranks
    There are three main shamanic ranks: Initiate, Second Degree, and First Degree. Initiate and Second Degree are the two student levels, and a shaman who reaches the First Degree is considered a fully-fledged shaman of Lasan. Shamans advance from one rank to the next by way of qualifying examinations administered by members of the Consistory when they are deemed ready. The First Degree exam is naturally the most comprehensive of these and requires the most studying and preparation. Upon reaching the Second Degree, shamans are assigned a mentor from the Consistory based on their areas of talent and specialty (and the High Shaman can act as a mentor). For their preparation for the First Degree exam, they are supervised a three-member “committee” consisting of their mentor plus two other Consistory members. The time from initiateship to the First Degree can be anywhere from seven to ten dust seasons or more.

Accoutrements
    Most shamans of the Second Degree or above possess an Ashla staff. They typically do not have it fitted for a focusing stone until they are close to reaching the First Degree, though it can still be used in a more limited way (channeling less energy in a less focused manner) without one.

Most shamans carry ritual chalk with them, used to chalk glyphs and designs that are part of their rituals. Most lay Lasat allow them to do this almost anywhere they need to without complaint, and it is not regarded as a defacement in any way. The chalk cleans off easily with water and often will blow off on its own anyway with time and the wind.

Lightning and Sparks
    The Ashla often manifests as sparks or lightning for Lasat shamans, and all shamans can to some extent wield what we would call Force lightning (though in their tradition this is a neutral ability and doesn’t have the dark-side association it does in the Jedi and Sith traditions). This can be done with or without an Ashla staff, though having one helps the lightning be more focused; without one, the shaman will usually draw the power upward through her by striking either her hand or her foot. The power can be used destructively, as Force lightning is, but also to move or influence the motion of objects, beings, or even vehicles; the latter technique is called Journeyer’s Lightning (a version of which is used by Zeb to guide the Ghost through the Maze in “Legends of the Lasat”—though as a non-Ashla-talent he has to use his bo-rifle, in ancient mode, as a means of channeling). Strong emotion can cause a shaman’s fingers, eyes, or both to spark even when she is not wielding the lightning.

The Triangle
    The sign of the Triangle (representing the Child, Warrior, and Fool from the Prophecy of the Three) is a common warding gesture used by both shamans and layfolk.

Seasons, Observances, Celebrations
    Storm Solstice Festival
    The Storm Solstice festival marks the high point of Lasan’s sun and the beginning of Lasan’s dust-storm-ridden summer, known as the Dust Season. It is solemn and prayerful in character, featuring processions and incantations both in thanksgiving for the sun and for the protection of the Ashla when the dust storms arise.

The biggest and best known of the solstice celebrations on Lasan takes place at the Royal Lasat Parade Grounds in front of the royal palace and in the presence of the Lasat royal family, and features the participation of the Lasan High Honor Guard and the more senior members of the Royal Academy of Shamans. The High Shaman coordinates the ritual and personally designates the other shamans who will assist in presiding over it. It is considered a great honor to take part. However, shamans chosen for the ritual are to keep that fact secret from all but other shamans till the day of the ritual.

The celebration begins a few hours before noonday with a parade and review of the Lasan High Honor Guard. As the sun rises to its apex, shamanic processions and incantations begin, and prayers (and a few sacrifices) are offered to the Ashla for protection during the coming Dust Season. The High Shaman presides over all these ceremonies.

Just before the sun reaches high point in the sky, the Honor Guards put their bo-rifles into the ancient configuration, and the shamans ready their staves. At the direction of the High Shaman, one of the shamans she has designated begins the main invocation to the Ashla to keep the people of Lasan safe from the coming dust storms (this is the biggest possible honor for a shaman participating in this ceremony). During the incantation, the sun moves to its apex and shines directly down onto a lens or mirror at center set up on a stand at the center of the parade grounds. At the moment the sun reaches its high point, on the High Shaman’s word of command, the guards strike their bo-rifles and the shamans their staves on the ground, channeling mystical energy and directing it upward to join with the energy of the sun. The result is a blindingly bright, colorful fireball that lights the whole sky and dazzles the eyes of all the onlookers. This blaze of light is considered emblematic of the Ashla’s response to the people’s prayers and its promise of protection.

The Dust Season usually lasts four to five Standard months and is characterized by dangerous dust storms and extremely high winds. The dust can make visibility virtually nil, and it is very dangerous to go outside while dust storms are in progress.Thus most of the larger Lasat settlements and towns have some kind of system of underground walkways, though these usually have only a limited reach. The term “dust season” is used metonymically to refer to the Lasat year (cf. the Ewoks’ use of “snow”: so-and-so is sixteen snows old, etc.)

Storms’ End Festival
    Storms’ End festival marks the end of the Dust Season. In contrast to the Storm Solstice Festival, Storms’ End is joyful and celebratory. Thanks are given to the Ashla for seeing them through another Dust Season, and it is marked by family gatherings and feasts. Roasting an entire prongbok or sheep is a common part of these feasts. Many towns also host a Storms’ End carnival, with children's games and sporting contests, as well as booths selling food and wares from local vendors. Since the Lasat measure time in Dust Seasons, this is also the beginning of a new year on the Lasat calendar.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    TheRynJedi, Kahara, divapilot and 3 others like this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    My goat, this is PERFECT. <3

Findswoman and Raissa Baiard like this.
  13. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I just went through the index & can't find it...what was the GFFA term for paparazzi? I thought it was Ewok Poet who came up with it...

Findswoman likes this.
  14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Mistress_Renata I've been using "holoshill", if that helps (not sure where I picked it up, I think it must have been the old thesaurus thread).

Findswoman likes this.
  15. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    It'll work! Thanks!

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I had no such term, but the closest I have used is the one Chyntuck came up with somewhere, somehow - sludgenewsfilmsi for tabloids.

Findswoman likes this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Raissa Baiard great post about 'Lasan and the Lasat' but I think you need to take a look at some of the links in it.

18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Could you please be more specific?

EDIT: OK, I tried out all the links in the article, and it looks like the one for manaznita and the Sentinel in Bryce Canyon have a stray quote mark or something in them, so those two might be worth checking. But yes, Gamiel, in future it would be great if you could be more specific than just "some of the links"—it would save us a bit of work. Thanks. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I fixed the ones to the green leaf manzanita and the Sentinel in Bryce Canyon.

Findswoman , Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. FanonSock

FanonSock Jedi Master star 1

Nov 11, 2014
    Hello again, all!

First, a quick digest of recent updates in the thread:

Daneira has contributed a new fanon post on the original planet of Chommell Minor.

Raissa Baiard and Findswoman have jointly contributed a new fanon post on Lasan and the Lasat (canon planet and species).

The courtship customs described in Finds and Raissa’s Lasat post above were part of the inspiration for our newest discussion topic, which I am pleased to introduce:

Courtship and Marriage Customs in the GFFA

Have you come up with any fanon lore on courtship and/or marriage customs for a particular planet, species, culture (original or established)? This includes but is not limited to:

courtship gifts
    courtship etiquette (e.g., who’s allowed to ask the other out)
    betrothal customs
    arranged marriages
    prohibited marriages (who can and can’t marry whom)
    wedding ceremonies
    wedding attire

And if so, is your fanon lore on these topics influenced by Earth practices? Other fandoms? Your own experiences? Tell us!

I’m particularly excited about this one, because it will be running jointly with a closely related discussion topic on OTP engagement and wedding scenes/stories in the OTP and Pairing Thread, led by my esteemed fellow sock Captain Rakkaus.

So let the discussion begin! Looking forward. :)

Thanks,
    Finds

21. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016

Just to note, I did not invent Chommell Minor. It's an EU planet that's the homeworld of Janus Greejatus, but has no official information about it.

Findswoman and Gamiel like this.
  22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Some good stuff there, Raissa Baiard

The Koncular looks particularly intriguing. I could make that someone's pet...

Findswoman likes this.
  23. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I've been thinking about some ancient Roman rituals... the bride would bring a lighted coal to her new home, and wear a yellow veil, symbolizing fire and Vesta, the goddess of home and hearth. And maybe wearing colors besides white? I think in many parts of Asia, red is the traditional bridal color. And I once had a friend who was determined to marry in purple velvet.

Thinking that maybe part of the wedding ceremony would be the bride having to light a fire in her new home, while everyone watched (and a prank played on the bride by dampening the firewood to make it harder to do). Of course, a pilot or a Pathfinder would pull out a flare and warn everyone to stay back, because those suckers would ignite ANYthing...

24. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Whoo boy, Findswoman, this is a topic I've really dug into in the past. I hope this isn't boring for people.

I mentioned in the OTP thread that there has to be a cultural reason for why people and couples do what they do. For example, in canon, the Chiss don't actually observe weddings, they have more like "family realignments" and it's more an official observance than a big blow-out celebration. But that makes sense; Chiss tend to be stoic and practical.

I've created three different wedding cultures: Twi'lek, Barolian, and Marfan. Each reflects the culture of that society.

Twi'lek weddings reflect the fact that Twi'lek culture is overwhelmingly male dominated on Ryloth, but in my head fanon I felt that those Twi'leks who were living on more progressive planets held more progressive ideas. On Ryloth, the marriage is arranged by the fathers of the couple, with the aim of improving the families' circumstances on a planet with scarce resources. The oldest son got the best deal for a wife, and the younger brothers were given what they got and they were grateful. Daughters were commodities to be bartered, and if they can't be married off to the clan's advantage, the daughters are sold as slaves so at least they bring some money to the clan. The brides are at the mercy of the fathers and their potential grooms. They don't get to reject the groom but the groom can reject the bride for whatever reason he decides, even at the wedding ceremony itself. Once the bride is married, all ties with her family are severed and she is now under the control of her husband and father-in-law. For ex-pat Twi'leks, I imagined a kind of "on-line relationship" situation where couples were matched for compatibility. A Twi'lek courtship, in this case, would make sure that the couple was compatible in every way - socially, economically, intellectually, and sexually. (The father of the bride still gets a say in who his daughter marries, though.)

Barolian religion, based on mathematical equity, is almost the exact opposite. Both people have the right to refuse if they don't want to continue, and there is no penalty or shame for changing your mind. In fact, the wedding chamber is designed so that each person enters the room on their own volition, and there is literally a back door if you decide you don't want to do this. The families don't know for sure if the couple is actually married until they walk together out of the chamber. There is no real "engagement" but more of an agreement to marry. Barolians get tattoos on their forearms to show that they are married because they are more permanent than a ring, which can be removed.

The final fanon wedding is from the seaside city of Mehr, on the planet Marfa. The culture here is very traditional, and there is a strong idea of the eldest child inheriting everything. Because of this, the eldest child is set up with an arranged marriage with another person from Mehr to keep the property in the family. The younger child is free to travel and explore the galaxy and he or she can marry whomever they want. The younger child can either come back to Mehr or live wherever they want to, whereas the elder child, who inherited the property, must live in Mehr. All couples who are having an arranged marriage get married at a public wedding, which takes place once a year, and the entire town takes a holiday to celebrate the event.

So....Long story short. The wedding traditions reflect the values of the society. On Ryloth, because there is such poverty and scarcity of resources, women are considered a commodity and marriages are economic. On Baroli, consent and equality are everything. Marriages reflect a consensual decision to live together and start a new family unit based on equality and respect. In Mehr, marriages help to sustain the hereditary property lines.

And there you go.

25. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    An intresting question. :)
    I haven´t really thought about this a lot regarding my fanon so far so its a cool new topic to explore.

The Terians marriage customs are quite different from those practiced in the rest of the galaxy. As the Terians follow a much more simple lifestyle their weddings tend to be much simpler as well. There is far less actuall courting involved for example. As their lifes can often be harsh and sometimes short most Terians tend to be more open and direct about their feelings than the people in the rest of the galaxy. Given the Terians independent nature there are no such things as arranged marriages or any prohibtions on marriage. Again follwing the Terians simple lifestyle there are no such things as bachelor parties before the marriage. instead both the bride and the groom usually spent the night before the wedding alone, in quiet relfection and remeberance of their ancestors. Weddings ceremonies are usually held by the Terian priesthood and in presence of the couples friends and families. Most couples also choose to have their wedding happen at a sacred place or time of their tribe or community. For example many marriages on Dearan are held within the old Athenar ruins of that world while on Darvin people tend to say their marriage vows below the Stars. These customs represent the Terians connection to the spirits surrounding them. On their weddings the couple and guests usually wear their finest clothing but there is no specific wedding attire. Like the forefathers eve the Terian wedding ceremony itself is quite somber and serious with only a few words being spoken. After the ceremony itself though the feasting begins and usually invloves the entire tribe/village the couples comes from. Its a happy ceremony that usually involves a banquet, dancing and some minor traditions that vary from planet to planet.