main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Mega thread: Sequels and spinoff films and the overall saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jun 20, 2017.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This is a thread in which we can discuss sequel trilogy films, spinoff films and their impact and relationship to the Saga as a whole.

What this thread is:

--A one-stop shop for all discussion topics relating to new and future films as they relate and connect to prior films and other prior works, whether the stories themselves or behind-the-scenes work such as CGI.

--A place where visitors to the PT, CT and Saga boards can discuss New Films-related topics that are too overall-saga based to be a good fit in the New Films board. Literature (Legends and NEU) and TV can be discussed as well as long as films are the primary focus.

What this thread is not:

--A "Lucas rules, Disney drools" thread, or vice versa. You don't have to like any Star Wars work that Disney has made, or you can think Disney was the best thing that happened to Star Wars since Luke escaped Tatooine, but we're not going to have a playground argument over whose Star Wars is "best."

--A New Films-only thread repeating topics from New Films for people who don't visit New Films.

--A rankings thread. We already have those.

Ground rules:

1. No bashing. Constructive criticism is fine, posts along the lines of "Such and such sucks because it sucks" are not.

2. Because it's worth reiterating and goes along with rule #1: no attempts to play the Lucas vs Disney game or the PT vs OT vs ST game.

3. The same rules in place in New Films are in place here: no sexist comments about Rey, Jyn or any other female character or actor, up to and including "Mary Sue;' calling any character (male or female) overpowered is fine. No racist comments against characters or actors of color. No Reylo discussion outside its fan club in Star Wars Community.

4. Discuss the films, not each other.

2. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    *looks around in awkward silence*

So.........Star Wars, amirite?

3. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    [​IMG]^:)^

Edit: I think we were discussing beige aliens?

Edit #2: To clarify my position on said beigeliens, I'm not to bothered about it, even in Lucas' star wars many crowd shots show aliens that were fairly drab in colour. Still I do miss seeing the occasional electric blue Twi'lek/Max Rebo.
    [​IMG]

Vanity Fair alien spreads for TPM, TFA, and TLJ.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    "I sense this is a plot to destroy the sanity of the users. We must make haste, as the Mods already have control of the court. It will be soon before the take the JCF senate".

5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Hardly their fault. Certain people couldn't help themselves, despite warnings & even thread title changes.

Anyway, the new films are awesome. They compliment the old Saga beautifully.

Strongbow likes this.
  6. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    That wasn't a jab against them for a specific purpose DD. Just an overall general joke...

7. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    So are sexist posts about men allowed? It doesn't appear to be a forbidden topic per your no-no rulebook. Let's get this party started...

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No.

9. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Like I was saying, I've always been a fan of A New Hope, but I think The Force Awakens surpasses it. It is dark much the same way as The Empire Strikes Back, and I loved the development and interactions of Rey and Finn, not to mention Kylo Ren. If it wasn't for Empire Strikes Back and the prequels , I wouldn't be a Vader fan, since we don't see much depth to him in A New Hope alone. We do see Kylo's struggles however, and I prefer him as a villain as far as the opening episode to each trilogy is concerned.

I feel like Rey and Finn had more initial chemistry than Han and Leia, and I prefer the platonic relationship that we see (doesn't mean it won't become romance).
    I hope that wasn't a bash of the original Star Wars, I still think it's a masterpiece, just offering my own comparison.

10. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    Wasn't this thread named "Disney criticism" before? I swear I remember the name being there...Or something like that...

Aren't these sex/race related all integrated within the site already?

Hey! Something we agree on;)

I kid I kid...[face_tee_hee]

Both I agree have their individual "rulings" that they are good at If that makes any sense..

11. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    What part of TFA was "dark"? I just rewatched it today on Netflix, my fourth overall viewing of the movie, and it felt even more jokey and less serious than I remembered. It exhibits the same kind of easy, cheap sense of humor that plagues most major motion pictures these days. The Marvel Studios movies, which also happen to be owned by Disney, popularized this style of humor in modern cinema. I certainly hold ANH as the darker, more mature film of the two.

12. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Emperor Ferus
    Agreed. kylo was more fleshed out in TFA than Vader in ANH. His story is one to be excited for. And I think Finn and Rey have chemistry also , it flows well even with the quirky comedy.
    But as far as TFA being dark? I agree Seeker Of The Whills . The Han-Kylo scene was dark & maybe the opening Jakku scene? But the rest of the film isn't dark.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  13. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    We never see the jawas being slaughtered, unlike in TFA, where the stormtroopers massacre the men, women and children on screen. Han's death was dark too, and emotional, and carried more weight than Obi Wan's (we didn't know him well until the prequels). Other than that, I don't see A New Hope being more mature.

Could you give examples, just so I know what you're talking about?

Darth Downunder likes this.
  14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Yeah, some dark scenes, but over all not a dark movie.. Personally hope TLJ is slightly darker..

15. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Oh TLJ is gonna be dark (from what I have seen) First, it's gotta be a GREAT FILM & if it's dark than even better

16. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I forgot to mention Hosnia and the other planets destroyed by Starkiller Base. Not only was it a larger massacre times five, but it showed the people just as they were about to perish. One of the main characters ends up in a coma, and another is mind controlled and kidnapped.
    I'd say TFA is about as dark as TESB.

I also hope that TLJ is dark, in fact I want it to be darker than ROTS (I think that's the darkest so far)

17. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    ..And tortured. And exploited.

18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    http://www.starwars.com/news/a-message-from-lucasfilm-regarding-the-untitled-han-solo-film
    "Creative differences". I would have expected creative differences during the writing process, not 3 weeks before end of filming.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  19. TheDutchman

TheDutchman Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2015
    "you got a cute boyfriend?"

yeah just LOVE their chemistry. (sarcasm)

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  20. TheDutchman

TheDutchman Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2015
    wow....I didn't realize that they were that far along. Must have been one hell of a blowup.

21. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    TheDutchman

Please avoid multiple consecutive posts. In the future, where possible please use the edit feature (located in the bottom left corner of your original post) to add content.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    what about spoilers and videos?

23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    It might give a possible explanation.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...y-han-solo-movie-directors-were-fired-1015474
    Personally I don't really care who's behind it since I'm not really interested in a movie about Han Solo's backstory. I'm pretty sure a writer confirmed how Lando lost the Milenium Falcon and how Han met Chewie would have been explored in the Live action TV series GL was working on anyway which I think would fit better for these kind of origin stories.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Unofficial spoilers should be tagged. Official ones, such as discussion of trailers, can be untagged.

Videos--I had in mind that there was already a separate video thread that was remaining open? But I can't find it. If I'm imagining the existence of that thread, videos can be posted here as long as they are on topic.

darklighter99 , I am very much interested in the Han Solo origin story but I want him to stay in character, so I hope Kasdan is heavily involved.

25. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    That's not my favorite line, but you hear cheesy lines in Empire Strikes Back too (you love me because m a scoundrel).
    Finn's line sounds modern, but it sounds more realistic than Han's. And that line doesn't indicate romance, a crush at best.
    I do like their chemistry.