main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Lucasfilm Need New Leadership?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Rickleo123, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Only three films into their tenure we've already had one film riddled with extensive reshoots and another one that's fired the directors three weeks into production completion. Can people imagine the chaos if Lucas had been doing this on his own trilogies? They would be calling him a control freak and how he should hand over the franchise.

Kathleen Kennedy is not steering the boat in the right direction. I personally find something about her attitude off putting. Especially her agenda driven prerogatives and subtle disdain for the source material.

Realistically, it wont happen until one of these films BOMB hard but anything is possible. With enough turmoil going on behind the scenes maybe disney decides to put someone with a bit more vision in place.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-spinoff-movies-kathleen-kennedy-han-solo/

2. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I don't think so. From the things I have been reading thus far about the current situation, the firing was justified. Lord and Miller I believe got the axe because they were taking Han Solo in a direction that was affecting Continuity.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Chiaroscuro Side

Chiaroscuro Side Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2016
    Speaking of agendas and disdain; pot, meet kettle.

DrDre, AndyLGR, Outsourced and 5 others like this.
  4. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Not at all. Reshoots are scheduled for every film, granted the RO ones were extensive but it worked itself out at the end. The final product was great and financially successful.

For Lord and Miller, if it's true that they were taking the character in a direction that didn't make sense to any other canon (as well as having a much greater comedy emphasis than needed) and not getting along with Kasdan and other cast members then it seems to be justifiable to replace them. For LFL, Kasdan is a much greater asset to have than Lord and Miller.

She's shown that she's willing to put the final product ahead of whatever else.

5. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015

Exactly. And it seems to me that Lord and Miller were more than likely given ample chances to mend whatever rifts they had with Larry Kasdan and still chose to ignore him. If that is indeed the case as it is appearing to be. You absolutely boot Lord and Miller from the project.

I believe the timing of the firing was the very last straw. But I still think they had their chance to comply and just simply felt they were bigger than the Franchise.

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I have not read that at all. Personally I think Lord/Miller got the axe because KK wanted changes and they unlike GE didn't budge. I am sure 10 years from now both sides will with they done things differently....especially agreeing to work together.

As for the topic at end, I think they are fine at Lucasfilm...for now. Long term? They need new blood.

Nibelung likes this.
  7. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Especially her agenda driven prerogatives and subtle disdain for the source material.

k

8. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I find this most insulting to KK, and reading between the lines it seems the OP has an agenda against her. GL asked her to take over the reins for a reason and her CV more than justifies that decision. According to rumour, it was not just KK's decision to fire Lord and Miller, she asked for other opinions as well.

9. robot120

robot120 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2001
    In my opinion, the reasons you listed are actually examples of strong creative leadership. It's extremely gutsy to switch directors right at the end of shooting a movie.

It's very easy to make a bad movie. It happens more often than not. If you look at Pixar's process, they keep editing and changing their movies for years until they work.

If you start from the POV that these SW movies were not working, then what would you need to do to make them work? Probably everything Kathleen Kennedy has done - rewrite scripts, do extensive reshoots, fire directors, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TetsuAero likes this.
  10. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    And that just won't happen for the foreseeable future. Indeed, firing Lord & Miller was designed to avoid the Solo film being poorly received or it causing enough damage to the brand that it opens the possibility of a bomb down the line. We aren't dealing with an amateur here.

11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    And with that, I'm moving this to the Lucasfilm forum...

12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The difference to Pixar is that they are making these movies to a tight timeline. It's a very aggressive machine.
    At the moment, Han Solo is still due out in May, and if it gets moved it'll only be to December. It's got to get done.

So, brutality is needed. Gareth got the one, and probably only, opportunity to be all artsy and unconventional. That's not happening again. If you're screwing up, you are getting your throat cut.

13. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    So far her track record is proven. Success at the box office. She also has some major confidence making the decision to release directors at such a late juncture. If she's protecting the property and the value of major legacy characters, more power to her. Anyone can be open to criticism and there may be some legitimate critique her way, not handing off directorial duties to a women for example, but overall she's getting high marks.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    She's one of the most well respected producers in the business and has produced two films so far that have grossed 2 billion and 1 billion while also being very well received by fans and critics. So I'm gonna go with no.

J7Luke, Dagobahsystem, DrDre and 5 others like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Agenda-driven prerogatives"?

Care to elaborate?

DrDre and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  16. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Well I think who is in charge has the right to be as controlling as they want of the product . I love Rogue One & can't really stand TFA but obviously KK is doing something right financially.

And about this 'agenda driven material' .. specifics ? Some may not see an agenda in the movies

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Stuff like this http://movieweb.com/star-wars-movies-catering-male-fanbase-kathleen-kennedy/

I just dont think we need to drag the franchise into gamergate nonsense and turn fans against each other. Star Wars was always a progressive franchise no need to get into blatant pandering or propaganda to divide fans. She just rubs me the wrong way with how she talks about the films.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, I just looked at the article and a few points:

--if anyone has a good idea of what Han Solo should be, it's Kasdan. If Lord and Miller were constantly clashing with both Kasdan and Kennedy, Lord and Miller were the ones that needed to budge. If they didn't after this amount of time, Kennedy did the right thing.

--There is no logic to follow in that article regarding why the author thinks Lucasfilm needs "new leadership" beyond "Kennedy told Lord and Miller what to do"--which is her job.

--This is the last comment I will make on the "agenda" before going official as a reminder on the site's sexism policy:

Han Solo's dudebroism will not be as accepted in 2017 as it was in 1980, nor should it be, so if Kennedy told Lord and Miller to downplay that and they refused...the problem is not with Kennedy. And putting strong female leads in a film is no more an "agenda" than putting strong male leads in a film.

Thankfully the article did not address an "agenda."

ETA:

Yeah, as a female fan since 1977, I find the idea that Star Wars has some obligation to cater to people who are upset about female leads in the new movies, to be highly offensive, along the lines of "Star Wars is only for boys."

You don't want to "drag the franchise into GamerGate nonsense"? Don't assume that Kennedy does have an obligation to "cater" to "fans" who are upset about female leads. She absolutely does not. The "GamerGate nonsense" is 100 percent the fault of the handful of male gamers who could not stand the idea of women playing their games. It was not the fault of women who wanted to play.

Kennedy has an obligation to "cater" to people who like Star Wars. That includes those of us who really, really appreciate seeing Rey and Jyn as leads. And both men and women are included in that.

19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Objectively, of course not. As per my personal subjectivity, it sure couldn't hurt given that mostly everything they've done and said since taking over has failed to speak to me as a SW fan.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  20. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    There is no logic behind an argument against women leads in Star Wars. SW the films & the lore in general are beyond physical , its about your drive & spirit.
    The Gamergate goofs like that bring no logical argument , they just claim that every strong female lead is another "hidden agenda" lol

NY Times article had this about R1:

Sad that Felicity Jones had to address that nonsense because a few numbskulls got mad over her earning the role

21. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    "Hey I got an idear! Let's fire the lady who's netted us over $3 billion with only two films as well as countless more in merchandising sales! It's not like she's objectively doing her job well!"
    I fail to see why the filmmakers should whitewash a character for the sake of being politically correct.

22. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Kennedy's willingness to fire Lord and Miller only increase my confidence in her and the direction the series is going. I now know that if Colin steps out of line with Episode 9 he will be 'Corrected'. I also know that if he resist gentle correction...Kennedy will yank on his chain so hard he'll think he made the jump to light speed.

23. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    Some people always forget this but she is a very good friend of George and want nothing but the best for Lucasfilm.
    So my vote is no, KK (or the whole leadership ) was also hand-picked by GL before he sold the damn thing.
    + KK is one of the best producers of all time, so she knows what shes doing.

DrDre and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  24. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Kasdan: Excuse me, Kennedy.

Enter the bureaucrat.
    The true rulers of the Star Wars property.
    And on the payroll of the Mickey Mouse Club, I might add.
    This is where the Directors' strength will disappear.

Kennedy: The point is conceded.
    Will you defer your motion to allow a commission to explore the validity
    of Kasdan's accusations?

Directors: We will not defer.
    We're here to make the movie you hired us to make
    We were not hired to make the fans suffer and cry
    while you discuss this intrusion in a committee.
    If this producer is not capable of action,
    I suggest new leadership is needed.
    I move for a vote of no confidence...

Kennedy: No need to vote now. You're fired.
    In order to ensure the security of intellectual property and continued merchadising,
    Lucasfilm Ltd. will be reorganized into the first Film Empire!
    For a safe and bland filmography.

So this is how Star Wars dies.
    With thunderous applause.

Kennedy: Did you ever hear the tragedy of George Lucas?
    George Lucas was a writer/director so creative and wise
    he could use his creativty to create ... movies.

He became so powerful the only thing he was afraid of was ...
    getting bad reviews.
    Which eventually, of course, he did.

Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything she knew.

Then his apprentice killed him in his sleep.

It's ironic.

He could save his company from death ...
    but not himself.

25. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.