main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Ron Howard to Finish Han Solo film

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jun 22, 2017.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  2. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    YES! This is what I've wanted. Since TFA, Lucasfilm seemed to have been dead set on younger newer talent, but I've really wanted Lucas's contemporaries and friends to tackle the films. Spielberg and Howard were on my shortlist. Imagine, the guy who starred in American Graffiti with Harrison Ford, directed by Lucas, is directing a movie about a character Harrison Ford played. I love those sort of connections and I love Howard as a director. I think he will bring a lot of heart to the film.

Wow, and we will see iris out "Directed by Ron Howard" (and Lord and Miller, I imagine).

3. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    It's interesting. I always find his take on movies to be of the more serious nature. And it's just hard for me to not picture a Han Solo movie this very sarcastic fun movie. So we will see.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  5. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    My problem with Lord and Miller was, after seeing TFA and RO, I did not see how L&M would reign in their sarcastic, jokey, off-the-cuff style. The Lego Movie was non-stop jokes, 21 Jump Street was the same with an added dose of heavy on set impromptu moments. Such a style *could* work with a Han Solo movie, but it was not what I wanted and it seems that was not what Lucasfilm wanted. I for one am very happy they're gone and Ron Howard is stepping in. It might be a bit of whiplash between styles, but I think Howard will stick to the script and shape the movie Lucasfilm and the screenwriters wanted. Not some jokefest with loose off the cuff dialogue.

6. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    From what I read their hope is he is going to use footage already shot and then finish what is left to be filmed. Sometimes that can create a very choppy movie experience. Hopefully it doesn't, that would be a shame to do to an iconic trio in the Star Wars universe. Because we all are at least a bit curious what Han and Chewie were up too and how he won the Falcon from Lando. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Good news.

[face_thinking] You know, I haven't seen this mentioned before, but I also wonder how this kind of big change in dynamic and direction would affect the main cast as well. I mean, imagine being Alden or Emilia or whatever, and literally you're in the middle of making the film and then the next day you got someone else in there telling you to act completely different. It's kind of interesting to think about the spontaneous adapting they'll have to do for the way they portray their characters.

ZY-Fighter and Mostly Handless like this.
  8. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
  9. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I think this was the right play under the circumstances.

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yep. There would have been no point in going after a younger director with their own voice and style. A veteran journeyman who will complete the task with professionalism and efficiency is what is needed so late in the game.

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_laugh]

Let the madness begin!

12. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I hope he is not forced to give the Oscar back after finalizing this epic piece of artwork

13. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015

Before: "Wow!!! A Han Solo movie!!! With Lando & Chewie & Donald Glover!!!! Let's go!!!"

After: "OMG we have GOT to go see what kind of train wreck emerged from this fiasco"

KK: $$$$$$$$

14. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Can't wait to see his high caliber action brought to the silver screen.

[​IMG]

15. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    This reassures stakeholders which was necessary if you're trying to stem long term panic. The film has a good chance of meeting its release date. Decisive action has been taken and in rapid succession. Monday Lord and Miller were out. Thursday Howard instated. It'll be interesting to see the dynamic between Kasdan and Howard. Will they change cinematographers and editors? Anyone?

episodenone and Dra--- like this.
  16. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Well this is not surprising and makes a lot of sense. An A-list director who is an old friend and will do their bidding because he is desperate after a string of just duds (though I happen to love Rush, I thought it was fabulous - but I seem to be one of the few Americans at least who likes F1 Racing).

In the immortal words of Michael Scott it's a "win-win" for Lucasfilm....but this doesn't change a growing prescription they are a hard studio to work for.

17. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Howard is a safe choice but that's what was needed right now. He'll guide this home and the movie will be the movie.

18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    For the first time I am excited by the Han Solo movie. I don't really know L&M since I haven't seen their movies. I get the idea behind them being brought in but I always found it odd because if they were brought in because of 21 Jump Street and the type of vibe I understand those have then I don't see how they would fit with a Kasdan (or Kasdans) script.

It just seemed awkward from the start.

The movie was scheduled to shoot for three-and-a-half more weeks, with five weeks of reshoots built into the schedule — the latter a standard procedure on large franchise productions.

So now Howard is going to have at least a few weeks of shooting then 5 weeks or more of reshoots plus being able to shape the already shot footage.

People have said this is like Rogue One but only partially as Edwards stayed on throughout the movie in post-production and editing while Gilroy did the reshoots and then Edwards still did the whole Vader end sequence which was done only a few months before the movie opened. All indications are that Edwards delivered the movie they asked for and then after TFA they changed their minds and wanted it to be more in that mold (or as much as they could).

This seems to be a whole other thing where all along what they were doing was not really liked. R1 was more like a face-lift while Solo is going to be extensive reconstruction.

So now we will look for the Willow reference in the movie!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/han-solo-firing-what-happens-star-wars-movie-1015658

Could the new Han Solo movie become the biggest film ever to be directed by Alan Smithee?
    Smithee is the pseudonym the Directors Guild of America uses for a helming credit when a movie's director takes his name off a movie. That hasn't happened yet in the case of the Star Wars spinoff.

The DGA doesn’t much like multiple directors to begin with: “There will be only one Director assigned to direct a motion picture at any given time,” says the guild's “one director” rule. But waivers are possible, and increasingly common — especially in the case of established directing teams. Still, it would be a stretch for the DGA to approve three directors' names on a film.
    And there's a further twist: While the Writers Guild of America has elaborate rules and even an appeals procedure for credit disputes, the DGA doesn’t.
    Instead, the rule is simply this: The DGA decides, and everyone is bound by that decision.

So depending on how things go L&M could insist on their names being there or they may insist they not be there. The least likely thing is all 3 names. If L&M push it then it could be their names and Howard gets some special executive producer credit.

19. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I've not been invested in this movie until now. I'm super jazzed about Ron taking the helm and becoming part of the Star War film family.

Yippee!!

20. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Wouldn't have been my first choice (That would be Mr. Kasdan), or even my second (That would be Joe Johnston), but as others have noted, it certainly makes sense. They needed someone with experience and credibility to give the cast confidence if nothing else. They've got to be rattled right now. Lose them, lose the movie. Howard solves that, if nothing else.

What I don't understand is; why Howard would be interested in stepping into such a hot mess? Maybe he's always wanted to direct a SW movie. Maybe the concept here appeals to him. But if so, why not petition for the gig at the start, before it goes into full meltdown? Just seems an odd choice for a man w/so many other options. I wish him well. Mayberry the Force be with him.

Nibelung and TX-20 like this.
  21. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I think he knows not only Larry Kasdan but KK pretty well. So I think that has a lot to do with it.

22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It's a no-lose situation.

If it's deemed a success artistically and does it financially then he gets a ton of credit. If that doesn't happen then he tried his best and you can't blame him because it was a disaster before he got there.

23. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I just want to let KK know that I'm okay with this.
    [​IMG]

24. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Lucasfilm is pleased to announce that Academy Award-winning filmmaker Ron Howard has been named director of the untitled Han Solo film.
    “At Lucasfilm, we believe the highest goal of each film is to delight, carrying forward the spirit of the saga that George Lucas began forty years ago,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “With that in mind, we’re thrilled to announce that Ron Howard will step in to direct the untitled Han Solo film. We have a wonderful script, an incredible cast and crew, and the absolute commitment to make a great movie. Filming will resume the 10th of July.”
    Howard has made some of the biggest hits and most critically-acclaimed movies of the modern era. Among his many films are Lucasfilm’s Willow, Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind (winner of four Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director), The Da Vinci Code, Frost/Nixon, and Rush. He also narrated and produced the beloved comedy series Arrested Development, starred in George Lucas’ American Graffiti, and remains a TV icon for his roles in The Andy Griffith Show and Happy Days.
    The untitled Han Solo film is slated for a May 25, 2018, release.

http://www.starwars.com/news/ron-ho...-the-untitled-han-solo-film?cmp=smc|946758536

25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    From starwars.com:

EDIT: Well, Ninja'd :p

ZY-Fighter likes this.