main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Super Mario Super Thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm pretty sure its just a coincidence, but, ah, its Doris, run for your lives! I doubt anyone would get that reference though. Actually I think Darkwing Duck had that alien hat idea too decades ago.

I really wish we could use the T-rex form against Bowser, but that would probably be too convenient. Funny how they say that other enemies will wear hats and you've got to knock them off first. Anyway, Odyssey looks really fun, definitely a must-buy. I hope it does well this holiday season.

themoth likes this.
  2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    In addition to Odyssey (which looks amazing BTW), we also got an announcement about Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions. (I really need to finish playing the original one of these days.)

And one that really flew under the radar is the new Yoshi game Nintendo is planning to release next year. It looks very clever and altogether lovely!

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Other E3 Mario vids:

-Mario & Luigi Supersar Saga + Bowser Minions trailer:

-Game reveal & Treehouse demo:

-Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle:

-Treehouse demo:

-Odyssey Treehouse demo:

Kingdom Battle looks interesting- I never played X-Com, but the mechanics and world look solid. Already have a lot of turn-based games to play at the moment, though.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  4. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Odyssey looks amazing, which I think surprises no one, but how fun does Kingdom Battle look? I can't wait to get my hands on that.

themoth likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And because it's just so darn catchy, the full theme song. Take it away, Pauline!

6. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I hope Nintendo releases that song officially someday, its really nice and fun and perfectly symbolizes Odyssey's slight... quirkiness, even compared to the rest of the Mario games. If they do a special edition with a CD with that song, it'll sell out instantly. Well, most Nintendo special editions sell out instantly anyway.

I wonder if Nintendo will sell a Switch bundle with Odyssey or if Gamestop will just make their own.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's a holiday bundle with either Mario or a Splatoon 2/Arms combo.

If GS makes a bundle it'll probably be the system, a controller, a screen protector, a carrying case, Mario, Just Dance and a warranty for $519 ;)

EDIT- Watching the second SMO demo on the Day 1 Treehouse Live feed (this one doesn't have a separate video) they showed off the forest level (which wasn't being demo'd on the showfloor). Really huge kingdom- looks like it'll be a lot of fun to explore above and below. I hadn't noiced it elsewhere but Mario has a rolling ability now which seems to be a useful substitute for the rapid belly slide from SMS for getting around worlds faster.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I get that reference.

9. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I'm probably getting a Switch just so I can play Mario Odyssey.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Having "Odyssey" bundled with the Switch would cause a spike in sales for the holiday season, which Nintendo would be foolish to not take advantage of. It would be more desirable than a "Splatoon 2"/"Arms" combo.

11. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I think Nintendo should focus less on scoring a spike in sales and more on making sure there's enough stock to go around by the Holiday season. :p

Just with a quick browse around the major online retailers in the UK I can see that the Switch is still out of stock in most places. It's a highly desired item, even without bundles.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I don't think you're going to see any standard Mario bundles- though some retailers may sell them together as a special. Splatoon 2/Arms makes more sense as a sort of multiplayer competitive bundle and helps push Arms (heh).

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Ever think about the similarities between the "worlds" and levels of Super Mario Bros. 3 and the planets of Star Wars?

World 1 = Naboo
    World 2 = Tatooine
    World 3 = Kamino
    World 5 = Cloud City
    World 6 = Hoth
    World 8 = McQuarrie's Had Abbadon
    Fortresses = Death Stars
    Airships = Star Destroyers
    Bowser's Castle = Imperial Palace
    Boom Boom and Koopalings = Moffs

PCCViking likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That probably has more to do with them both using the generalized "one environment = one world" approach.

Chewgumma, darklordoftech and Life like this.
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I figured that they're just typical biomes, but when someone says, "sci-fi biomes", Star Wars always comes to mind, and someone says, "video game biomes", SMB3 always comes to mind.

I'm sure Bowser would find himself at home on Mustafar.

PCCViking likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if New Donk City is where the Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. arcade games take place.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's the implication.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I'm mostly avoiding details about Odyssey and holding off until Christmas to play it, but I'm really excited about it! Until then, I'll try to finish the last 19 shrines in Zelda.

themoth likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Live Action Pauline: 1
    Live Action Daisy: 1
    Live Action Peach: 0

20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I got all the Shrines late last month, and now I'm all ready to jump into Odyssey. It's been a long wait, but it's nearly here.

21. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    themoth and Reynar_Tedros like this.
  22. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    Odyssey is looking like the big game to get me fully into the series, just as Breath of the Wild did for Zelda earlier in the year.
    The game just looks so fun, so energised, that it's easy to fall for the charm it oozes and want to play it.

Reynar_Tedros and Rew like this.
  23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe Mario and Luigi are from New Donk City, and they wear hats because everyone in New Donk City wears hats.

24. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Been playing a few hours of Odyssey, and it is fantastic (and it has the reviews to match that impression). Its one of the most charming, inventive and strangest Mario games ever. Its not open world like the last Zelda game is, but still tons of content.

Rudy Redlin likes this.
  25. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    I'm also of the opinion of a fantastic game. Having avoided spoilers, I'm being treated to a whole lot of new stuff, and one of my favourite things so far is the ending of New Donk City. Such a great set-piece there.

Chewgumma and Rudy Redlin like this.