main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Gareth Edwards to Direct first Spin Off !

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by chris hayes, May 22, 2014.

1. rg1fan123

rg1fan123 Jedi Padawan

Feb 8, 2016
    I love colin's films but i agree haha i rather have edwards

2. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    I really hope Lucasfilm give him another gig. Rogue One was a fantastic love letter to the Star Wars films I grew up with and enjoyed. I can understand why so many of those who worked on those films loved it - Lucas, Mark Hamill, Charles Lippincott, etc.

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    He's got nothing upcoming on IMDB. He's just floating in tropical Vietnamese waters relaxing.

I'll take another Zilla movie happily from him. Or anything else. Some weird original idea. A spy movie set around the Middle East perhaps.

Anyway, keen to see what comes next.

4. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    He was down for Godzilla 2 but stepped back saying he wanted to work on smaller projects. Perhaps also an issue with style? he tends to like to keep his films fairly personal in their viewpoints and I could definitely see the studio wanting Godzilla 2 to be larger in its focus.

5. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Colin gets too much hate around these parts.

Especially if they make IX a light hearted action romp after the dour The Last Jedi in the style of ROTJ (minus ewoks) he's perfect.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  6. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Isn't this the Edwards thread? Please, let there be a thread where we are safe from either Trevorrow or Howard discussions. :p

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes let's keep the Trevorrow affair contained within the proper forum and thread. No need to spread it to threads that have nothing at all to do with it.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  8. ExplosivEwok

ExplosivEwok Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2017
    well, I for one hope that Edwards does a good job.

[face_whistling]

9. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    He's being recognized more and more, I notice.

Darth__Lobot and my kind of scum like this.
  10. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    Edwards I think its also a director clearly going against the climate of the times, making genre films that take themselves seriously in an era that tends to favour a more over the top style. That's always going to mean he'll be a rather divisive figure, some loving his work, some hating it.

Actually watched Godzilla again for the first time in awhile yesterday and still enjoyed it a lot, perhaps it doesn't quite live up to its opening half hour or so and does feel a little pretentious in places(the 2001 choral being reused for example) but generally is just a very well made atmospheric film, I'd be very surprised if the "monster" franchise comes up with anything as good without him judging by Skull Island.

11. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Edwards does "atmosphere" better than any director around. Right next to Cuaron, I'd say.

12. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    Rogue One does actually make me feel he would have been an excellent alternative choice for the Blade Runner sequel. Whilst the trailer for the film were getting looks nice it doesn't really look that close to the original for me whilst a lot of stuff in Rogue One(the crowded streets, Eadu, etc) definitely felt very Blade Runnerish indeed, that same hyper detailed look.

If someone else gets a chance at the Alien franchise I'd definitely prefer him to Neill Blomkamp

Darth__Lobot and Gigoran Monk like this.
  13. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Agreed. Blomkamp is wildly overrated.

14. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    I liked District 9 but haven't been much of a fan of what he's done since that seems to depend rather heavily on recycling the design of the loader from Aliens. Him doing an Alien film would IMHO likely end up as an inferior retred of Cameron's film for me where as Edwards does seem like he could get close to the original having the ability to create great atmosphere and strong subtle drama.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Villeneuve

Avnar and Gigoran Monk like this.
  16. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I like Villeneuve as well. Though for me, there's something missing in his style. It's more clinical than Cuaron or Edwards, who are better at capturing the sublime. But yeah. He's up there.

17. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    Yeah I think that's a good description of him Monk, he certainly creates some striking images but tends to go for a more minimalist look compared to Edwards and Cuaron(or Scott in the past). Not to say I'm not looking forward to it but the trailers thus far to me don't actually seem that evocative of the original Blade Runner dispite obviously reusing a lot of elements of that film. You could argue I spose that this might be a good thing if your telling what looks like it might be a quite familiar story so giving things a different visual spin is important.

I'd expand on Edwards style being not of the era not just in terms of the seriousness with which he treats his settings but also the style of acting he prefers to use. One thing that does seem to link a lot of the negative opinions of both Rogue One and Godzilla is the idea that the main protagonist was a "bland" character and in both cases I think your dealing with performances that quite subtle by blockbuster standards. You compare Ridley's performance in TFA to Jones performance in RO and I think the former is clearly more larger than life both in terms of line delivery and physical acting, you wouldn't really have to look that carefully to pickup on what the characters sposed to be feeling at any one moment.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Well put!

I honestly NEVER believed I would ever watch another SW film after the OT that made me feel the way I did about RO - It was near perfect imo! And to be honest, some of the designs and locations even out OT'd the OT! (Does that even make sense?? haha)

Hire the man...again! He earn't it :cool:

19. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    He's collecting a paycheck. Good for Gareth. He deserves it. I'm sure I'll check this out. I loved the film.

21. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    He's been so quiet since Rogue.
    No projects on the board at all.
    Has he chosen to have a big holiday?
    Has he a secret project in the works?
    Has he decided to just become an accountant and forget this movie making nonsense?

22. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    Could really be either I guess, these days it often tends to be that directors are quite deep into working on something(in terms of working with a script and pre vis) before we get an official announcement. That could be either something small and person he wouldn't have to announce or something very large that the studio would avoid announcement until they were sure it was happening.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, he announced that he was taking some time off after R1.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  24. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I said it before and I'll say it again - Give this man another gig! He (imo) has made the best SW film since ROTJ! :greensaber: RO added so much to the SW universe, it is literally teeming with fantastic characters and designs - some of which even out OT'd the OT!

Darth__Lobot and Nom_Anor01 like this.
  25. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    This is something I have said too. It is astonishing that Rogue One almost exceeds its source material in the amount of Star Wars "flavour" it manages to put on screen. It is steeped in the imagery and feel of the OT to the point that it almost feels as if it were made at the same time. It is a feat that the ST hasn't yet managed in my opinion.