main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean it's a bit late to change the species thing because the new Canon has established that the empire is species although not openly. Speciesism does not exist in our world, but it is obviously just the same as Racism. Racism does not seem to exist in SW which makes sense since there are now slug creatures to look down on for people who do that sort of thing. It's realistic that there are humans/ other species that don't trust/like each other because of prejudice or stereotypes.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Specifically, Sinjir remembers that the Empire encouraged heterosexual relationships because the only purpose of a romantic relationship, from the Empire's point of view, was to parent children who could become Imperials themselves. Thus, a homosexual relationship, which would not lead to children, wasn't frowned upon, necessarily, but was discouraged as not being useful to the Empire. But heterosexual relationships that didn't produce children were treated the same way. So it's not so much discrimination as it is "either use your relationships to have kids who can serve us when they grow up, or focus on your career, period."

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    for instance if one was to have a child or multiple children through some other means like a surgate I am sure the Empire would care less who you loved.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hey just so y'all are aware we have now expanded the scope of this thread to encompass homosexuality in all Star Wars TV shows. As always, keep it kosher and keep it civil. [face_peace]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Straight guy here, and I don't like it when homosexuality & trans-gender people are pushed down our throats in TV shows/movies. I watch a lot of TV, and it seems that every time you turn around there's some of this showing up. I get enough of this crap in real life, I don't need to watch it when I'm trying to be entertained.

[What did I literally just say about keeping it kosher?]

That also being said, I don't think any of it has a place in a SW TV series/film - these shows are for both kids and adults, and though I don't have any kids - I think it's important that parents are able to watch these shows with their small children (if they have them) without being uncomfortable.

Side-note: I did get the impression that Emperor Palpatine was gay in ROTJ, but that may have been because he was a creepy old guy....

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Straight woman here, and I don't like it when heterosexuality and cisgender people are pushed down our throats in TV shows/movies. I watch a lot of TV, and it seems that every time you turn around there is some of this showing up. I get enough of this crap in real life, I don't need to watch it when I'm trying to be entertained.

...Hopefully you see the problem here.

I do have kids, and do you know what would make me really uncomfortable if I saw it on a TV show that I watched with my kids? Any programming that took the antiquated attitude that a loving same-sex relationship is somehow less appropriate for them to see than a loving opposite-sex relationship.

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It's always weird when I find myself thinking that you're so much politer than I would be.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    First of all, the insinuation that being a creepy old guy means you're gay is both insulting and, quite frankly, bewildering in this day and age. I don't even know where to begin on how ****ed up that is.

And second, gay and trans people are just a part of life and society. More and more people are comfortable admitting they're gay or admitting they're trans, because more and more people are realizing that there's absolutely no harm or foul to these aspects of our lives. And I mean, SW is the perfect place to explore these topics, because although it is escapism fiction, it is deeply rooted in parallels to reality. And it's especially relevant at a time when we're becoming more and more diverse as a people, and as such these diverse representations of humanity wish to see reflections of themselves in the stories they enjoy. Kids will only find these sorts of things uncomfortable if you make it so for them.

So Blur I would advise you to carefully consider how your words can be construed in the future, and I'd suggest you read our hate speech policy very, very carefully before you cross any more lines.

9. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    And that's that.

10. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Lemme just carry this over here for a second so it stops cluttering up the other thread:
    I didn't catch what you tried to quote me on, but honestly...you're tripping if you think people saying Ahsoka's gay means they don't like her. Like, the fact she's hovering somewhere on the bi spectrum is something people legit *love* about the character. "Ahsoka is gay" doesn't mean "Ahsoka sucks." You gotta get over that. "Ahsoka is gay" means "She's into girls" and that's it. And lady-loving Ahsoka is best Ahsoka, so...no hate.

11. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Just a heads up Contessa but Todd the Jedi asked in the In Which Kablob Goes On About Barriss Offer thread to move on. So don't bring that disagreement over here. That being said, it doesn't mean you can't talk about Ahsoka and her having a girlfriend.

12. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    In her self-titled story there was certainly some very heavy subtext regarding the exact nature of Ahsoka's relationship with one of the female characters - as in it was all but outright stated the girl was definitely into Ahsoka and whilst not quite as strong there were fairly heavy hints it was reciprocal. To be honest I think Ahsoka as a character is a good one to explore such things - she's still very much a heroine and a good person but has expressly rejected the Jedi's ways up to and including non-attachment, so she is in a very good place (personally and narratively) to explore what a light side force user can be when they don't have the whole ''non-attachment'' thing shoved down their throats, in a far healthier way than Anakin's 'secret marriage' nonsense.

13. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    After returning to this thread after years, let me use this nice meme to summarise how I still feel:

[​IMG]

14. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Sounds dope to me.

More diversity, the better

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Re: The idea Ahsoka (an animated alien from a fantasy series) might prefer lovers of the same gender is an issue? [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

Sorry boys, she's just not that into you then...

[face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Am I the only one who hears of cis-gendered and think Confederacy of independent systems? No? Okay...:p

MrDarth0 and TetsuAero like this.
  17. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    That's actually what i thought the first time i heard the term xD

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It's another reason why Ahsoka makes a good LGBT+ icon!
    ;)

19. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Ultimately it's not something I am bothered with. A character's sexuality does not shape the character to me.

I know that there are people, particularly on Tumblr, that fret over it, but I don't care much for it. It can be a bad thing for some characters. One character in Mortal Kombat, Kung Jin, is known for nothing more than being homosexual. Which sucks.

But if there are some who want something to relate to on this subject, then power to them.

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree that if you make the character all about their sexuality then ya that character is sorta pointless.

Look at Hera and Kanan for example where their relationship is barely ever touched apon. It's there, but it's not the main character point for them.

21. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

Bioware have always been very open, in terms of relationships, with their MMO games.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Huh this thread made me look up the first same sex marriage in games and it was Fallout 2. Cool. Anyway I wouldn't hold my breath for anything to pop up in Season 4 of Rebels. Although Korra did it so why not?

MrDarth0 likes this.
  23. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Not because he's a creepy old guy, but Palpatine is still the most fabulous man in all of the Core Worlds in my head canon

24. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    I really hope Sabine's gay, that would be perfect.