main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Celtic challenge: "Down in the willow garden" (re-load), story 8: Lyra Erso just got gunned down

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    These are a really interesting addition to what we see of Orson in Rage. He keeps a lot simmering below the surface, some of it the more vulnerable and benign side of himself and some definitely not. There's a furious anger in him that all too easily directs itself at any relatively defenseless target he can construct a reason to blame.

His father I can understand the resentment towards, even though we see he is not entirely the heartless monster Orson has created in his mind. There was a lot of misunderstanding there, however much it may have been unintentional. But that vitriol of his all too easily spills over onto people like the Twi'lek "groupie" that he so thoroughly despises for... well, existing. Indeed, I have to wonder if his easy acceptance of Imperial xenophobia has to do with that well of anger in him.

Marjory was interesting to me; she seemed to see a lot of his issues but was more inclined to condemn than try to redirect him. Not that such redirection is easy with a stubborn personality like Orson's. :p But it's intriguing to me that he actually appears to have some things in common with Marjory in terms of personality -- she projects a rather similar intimidating presence for one. [face_thinking]

Much like your Palpatine, this interpretation of Orson makes him quite complex while still reminding us that he's a human landmine and all too often on the brink of destruction -- both of others, and perhaps, of himself. One has to wonder and worry whether he realizes how fragile his self-control is or if he's in total denial about it. [face_worried]

2. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Your description of Orson makes a lot of sense. He's bitter, angry and jealous. Only Ina has a special place in his heart, and he managed to hurt her too.

His lack of love from his parents really did a lot of damage to him and his ability to love others in his own life. As a teacher, you definitely understand how important it is for a little child to feel loved and special; it's what gives them the confidence to take chances. Orson didn't seem to get that so he thinks he has to fight everyone for everything. He seems to look to Palpatine to be kind of a "father figure" to him since his own father is so weak and distant to him.

This is really so good, and I think I understand why Orson is so competitive and desperate for acknowledgement when I read how you describe his younger days. :)

3. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    DarthUncle: Thanks for another of your kind, thoughtful and fitting comments! I hope that my praise for your sharp analysis helps you a bit that Verstappen is out of the race already. While you are among 10.000 shocked Dutch fans, your twin & other family members at your side, I am loading up my Austria photos and might even write something new tonight.

I am so grateful to have you. The past months have not been the easiest, but as a common acquaintance said to me last night, when blood-orange aroma filled our noses and we sat in a heat of 95 degree Celsius on our sauna towels: "The past is the past! Live now!"

And I am also glad that I had Orson and Sheev around, doing the nasty stuff that I would never dare to do.

Kahara: Finally I have the time to answer to your wonderful comment. Yes, Orson is a landmine in total denial about his fragile self-control. He suffers from Imperial xenophobia and a lot of other things. Writing him stays a difficult, but a fun task. Marjory came into mind after me re-watching an old "Downtown Abbey" episode and seeing the divine Maggie Smith in it.

As for Ben Mendelsohn himself, I simply adore him and the acting roles he takes on are always complex. I wanted to bow to his skills as an author, by making his Orson Krennic a difficult puzzle.

divapilot: You writing all these things makes me happy and gives me the certainty that I managed all the things I wanted to achieve for this character. Thanks for taking the time to stop by! [:D]

DarthUncle and Kahara like this.
  4. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    DarthUncle, Kahara, earlybird-obi-wan here is something:

Title:Down in the willow garden”, an Orson Krennic vignette for the Celtic challenge on the JC boards

Author: AzureAngel2

Co-Author and editor: DarthUncle

Story 7:On the banks below”

Time frame of Story 7: The story takes place about 2 weeks after RotS (19 BBY).

Planet of choice: Naboo

Summary: The Lake Country is a beautiful spot to be and even to pick flowers. But Orson Krennic faces a darkness he cannot deal with.

Disclaimer: SW is owned by George Lucas, Lucas Ltd. and now The Walt Disney Company

While you start landing procedures you cannot help to gaze at the rolling plains and grassy hills of Naboo in wonderment. It looks very much like Chandrila. There are even shaaks. The fat beasts are scattered all over the lake district, on the banks below. Instead of electrical fences, which would be the reasonable thing to make use of, streams hinder them to run away from their destiny. The slaughter house.

But Ina is not as mindless and gentle as a shaak. Of late she has shown bewildering characteristics and skills, that you were totally unaware of. There is no doubt about it that she is a true Palpatine. Not as cold-blooded as the Emperor, but certainly as manipulative and cunning.

Since you allowed Ina back into your solitary life, she plays you like a guitar string. But the worse thing is that you let her. The longer you are with her, the more you want to please her instead of making her cry. You are sick of fighting. So you simply have given up to argue with her and let her do things her way.

Not only did you visit the desert moon of Jedha with her, you paid a courtesy visit to her foster family on Chandrila and checked somebody out in the Wobani prison facility.

You try to figure out how she persuaded you to visit the mausoleum of Padmé Amidala, but your brain cannot process the events correctly.

You start pondering.

Then it all comes back to you in a tumble of sensory impressions. Oh shavit!”

Ina almost cried a hole in the ground after you left Baydo Chasdy – Bay – behind with much better detention conditions.

Basically, you wanted to prove to Ina that the Galactic Empire of her uncle is but the Republic in a new, shiny coat. Mercy and justice are possible for those who deserve to live as humble citizens.

A pair of non-human eyes gazes at you from the backrest of Ina's seat.

Convorees definitely belong to a species that you are not fond of. That damned bird has a kind of intelligence that you regard as a direct threat to your claims on Ina. You are her chosen protector and not that bundle of fluffy feathers. If you were able to ram a stick into its throat, you will certainly use its dying body to dust the cockpit a bit.

The animal gives you an amused chortle and puffs itself up a bit.

“Please, Orson!” sighs Ina. “Stop giving Bathseba an evil eye!”

“As you wish, milady!” you purr, asking yourself not for the first time why the convor is called 'Daughter of the Oath' in one of the most ancient Galactic languages. Which oath? And, most important of all, whose daughter?

The yellow beak opens and closes as if the thing laughs at you soundlessly.

You force all your attention back on Ina. “Is this the right spot?” you ask her in a friendly tone.

She nods, too moved to speak.

“I will land on that rock plateau over there,” you suggest, knowing that she hates it when even the smallest plant gets harmed.

It occurs to you that the folk of Naboo has much in common with Alderaanians. But why Sheev Palpatine has sent his niece and her entire foster family into exile on Chandrila is a mystery for you.

Scanning her features a question comes to mind. “Fancy a picnic?”

Ina shakes her head and unfastens her seat belt. Her convor hops on her left shoulder, swinging its strange tail leisurely.

You follow both outside the ship.

The smell of grass and flowers sets something lose in you. Memories of your childhood come to mind, that contain only love and sunshine. Ina is linked to all of them.

The convor takes off with a gleeful sound.

Ina starts running towards the meadow that is surrounded by a set of stunning waterfalls. You watch her swirling around in happy circles, her arms stretched out wide. Her laughter fills you, making you feel whole.

When she is tired of her pirouettes, she plops down into the grass rather unceremoniously.

You step closer and see her doing the Shavasana, the dead pose. This yogic posture is able to still a hyper active brain. It also helps to control thought process by gaining absolute control over one's breathing.

With a chuckle you get into the lotus seat position Padmasana – right next to her. “You do not seem in a great hurry to get to that grave site,” you comment, while gazing down on her.

Her closed eyes snap wide open. She seems somewhat hurt by your assumption. “I am already preparing myself mentally.”

“By lying in the grass like this.”

“We are never ready for Death, but it comes to all of us.”

“What a cheerful view on life,” you answer.

She closes her eyes again. “In the end we are all one with the Force, Orson Callan Krennic, even you.”

You blow a kiss on her brow, seeing the first lines that age has painted there. “You sound like my great-aunt Marjory. She lived with us in the community of Lexrul.”

This wins Nagina's immediate interest and she props herself up on her elbows. “You never talked to me about her before.”

You tick her nose. “And you never told me that you are a true Naboo, not only raised by Naboo fosters. Tit for tat.

“Would it have mattered?”

“You kept a lot from me,” you consider.

“You were but eight years old when our ways separated for about twenty-five years.” Ina looks as flustered as her birdy friend can. “Besides, the entire story of my life is too painful.”

Within a heartbeat you tear her into your arms, holding her as solid as a rock. “Let me decide that!”

Her mouth drops in dissatisfaction. “I can still decide for myself, thank you. I do not need a white knight who fights all my battles for me.”

“And why the freck not?” You stifle a growl. “Ina, you deserve so much more than an uncle who is never there.”

“He tries his best.” Obvious scorn swings in her voice. “That is more than anyone can ever ask of from a Sith.”

There it is again, this maddening word: 'Sith'. It seems to be her favourite excuse for the Emperor all the time. As if his mystical religion has turned him into a kind of invalid that needs her pity. “Stop backing him up! He does not deserve you.”

“And you do?” She shakes her head. “I love whom I love. Get that into your stubborn head. You have no monopoly on my feelings.”

You let go of her, exhausted.

“Instead of making another one of your rants, help me to find some pretty meadow flowers!” She gets on her feet.

You run a hand over your tired eyes. “Would you rather not buy some more sophisticated flowers in a flower shop? White lilies? White roses?”

“Padmé Naberrie was of modest origins.” Her long lashes flicker. “Even though she was born in a little mountain village, the Lake Country meant a lot to her.”

You grimace.

Ina really thinks that she owes the dead senator something. As if Amidala is another victim of the Jedi purge.

“She might just be a politician hit by friendly fire, you know.”

She almost drops the flowers that she has gathered in so far. “Friendly fire? One of the most protected personalities on Coruscant?”

You take a deep, steadying breath. “General Grievous also got through to your uncle, did he not.”

Her facial colour is almost that of the field poppy she just picked. “Because Sheev allowed him to. The entire kidnapping was staged.”

You start to ask yourself if even holding a plant containing opiate is bad for her. “Staged,” you echo in disbelief.

There is no way to orchestrate such a dramatic event. It sounds like pure madness. Probabilistic risk assessment at such a scale was impossible. Not even the most skilled Dejarik player in the galaxy could have controlled his moves so adequately.

“If you only knew the power of the dark side,” she begins.

You get your stalwart blaster pistol out, showing it to her in a playful, unthreatening manner. “This is all that I need to know, Ina.”

“A laser gun? That is your equivalence for control?”

“I spent most of my teenage days with Force groupies going 'Om Shanti Om! 'from dusk until dawn.”

She carefully comes closer and puts your blaster where it belongs to. “Your mother wanted to show you the beauty of creation, when she took you to her home world.”

“Beauty is in an explosion, Ina.” Your heart hammers as if you just ran a mile to get to her. “It is also found in the architectural style that the Emperor asked me to develop for his military complexes throughout the galaxy.”

Her lashes flutter over her wide, wounded eyes. “This is what you believe?”

“I believe in order, Ina. In conformity,” you tell her. “In my childhood there was much chaos. Only when you were around I was at peace.”

She drops her posy and hugs you hard. “But all your beautiful projects from earlier years.”

“Who needs romanticism after the Clone Wars? We need a new vision to follow. The future is not just build on dreams and pretty flowers. I am under no illusions about it.”

Her sobs flow into you like a rivulet towards a stream. There is so much water in her, so much compassion for others.

Shyly, you hug her back. Her gentleness is hard to bear for you. It leaves you helpless. Once more you made her cry.

“Hey, spare some tears for your Amidala!” you try to joke.

“I am sure he killed her,” she sniffs barely audible.

“Why would your uncle do that? She was his main ally in the senate for years.” You cradle her in your arms like a breakable piece of glass. “This makes no sense.”

“She was in the way,” she whispers. “Sheev wanted Skywalker. He wanted him all along. That he also died must anger him a lot. He would have been the perfect surrogate for Dooku.”

The things Ina says make no sense, but you let her talk.

“A Sith is not allowed to love either. It is but a beneficial emotion for their lot because it often leads to anger or hatred. Oh, how he much he wanted to fuel Skywalker's darker powers.”

Somehow you are under the impression that she is committing high treason right under your nose, but you know that the Emperor is very forgiving with her. And you are, too.

“I was seven years old when I started reading the Book of Sith.” More violent tears come forth. “It was so horrible, Orson. Extended indulgence in the dark side creates… creates a loss of humanity.”

You just wish you had none left either, because her wailing really gets to you.

“All morality, all empathy – they vanish and leave behind a being that is cruel and violent. Even a black hole shows more fairness when sucking you in.”

Fairness is overrated. But you will not tell Ina that. She is the sister you never had. The happy dot of colour in your life.

“Enough of the Sith,” you say. “I help you to get more pretty flowers and then we fly to Theed directly. The grave site is open for the public, but closes at sun set. I took the liberty to reserve tickets.”

“Tickets?” She is genuinely shocked about it.

“Her family wants to donate the money to refugee organisations here in the Outer Rim Territory.”

She nods to that. “Padmé would like that and Anakin, too.”

It is a bit far fetched that both have been lovers. But you trust Ina's instinct on that.

Sources:
    The song Down in the willow garden”, the version of Loreena McKennitt
    Wookieepedia – The Star Wars Wiki
    Jedipedia, a free German Star Wars-Encyclopaedia

5. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Orson and Nagina's relationship makes me so uncomfortable, but I end up loving it for that, because you make it more than the sum of its very worrisome parts without justifying Orson's possessiveness. The mix of emotional intimacy and antagonism is always seesawing, and every so often balanced for a moment. Excellent job on this one, I think it's one of my favorites so far in this collection! =D=

6. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Nice way to refer to both Obi's comment on civilised weapons, and at the same time echo Darth Vader's comparison of the death star to the dark sides power, with the architect of the thing.

On the whole, this shows an actually human look at Orson - if only he could be more often guided by the compassion he does show here, and by his feelings about Nagina, instead of the trauma induced need for control and order, and love for explosive beauty, I'm sure he'd end up a lot happier, and living a much more fulfilling live. But, this all happened a long time ago, of course, and too far away to have influence on it.

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Agree with Kahara's insightful review and conclusions about the complicated nature of Nagina and Orson's relationship and the delicate balance between them. I think she is the only person literally he can show a gentler side to, but he isn't comfortable with it so he tries to shove it aside and deny its very existence. Her feelings in contrast are right there in the open. It is one of her greatest appeals and strengths, but of course a Sith is going to twist it and try to use it against her. [face_thinking]

DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  8. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Kahara: You saying/ writing that is a big relief! Because any day with Orson can be like a "dance with the devil by the pale moonlight" for Nagina:

DarthUncle: This is alas not an EU where I can simply re-write the faith of Orson Krennic. But I try to give him something lovable anyway.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: And what if she twists Sith lordS without their knowledge?

DarthUncle and Kahara like this.
  9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Orson can be nice

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    That is the same Leia once said about Han once. But Orson is too broken, too twisted to be truly nice.

DarthUncle likes this.
  11. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    DarthUncle, WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, earlybird-obi-wan & Kahara, you all might like the following update.

I should add a spoiler alert for for my main Nagina story though. If you read this, you are spoilerd!

Title:Down in the willow garden”, an Orson Krennic & Ina vignette for the Celtic challenge on the JC boards

Story 8:To yonder scaffold high

Summary: The past two weeks have been annoying for the man who is behind the most secretive Death Star Project. Some silly woman just injured him with a laser blaster and hard rainfall might cause him a sore throat any time soon. But he will be home after his job, re-united with the person he loves most.

Time frame: The story takes place in 13 BBY.

Planet of choice:Lah’mu

Disclaimer: SW is owned by George Lucas, Lucas Ltd. and now The Walt Disney Company

Lyra had it coming. Since years she had it coming. Now she has gone west. She lies in her husband’s arms like a rag doll. No more silly actions from her. No objections whatsoever. So much silence on her behalf should make you happy, but it does not.

The silly bantha cow has been able to hurt your left shoulder with a graze shot before dying conveniently. It annoys you did not have the honour to mow her down. Instead of her heart you would have aimed for the face. Her ever curious nose would have been a perfect bull’s eye.

With a pain contorted face you gaze at the still smoking flesh wound and bark towards your six men, “They have a child! Find it!”

The Imperial soldiers swarm out like angry wasps leaving their hive. But you, their leader, calm yourself with the sounds of your own breath. Once upon a time you learned this special technique from your most favourite person in the universe.

You keep staring at Galen, who rocks the corpse in his embrace forth and back like a distressed baby.

Feigned courtesy made you land your shuttle not directly on the roof of the farmhouse, but in the middle of nowhere. Okay, your motivation was a more or less a subtle show-off of power, but you were willing to show mercy with an old friend and his family. It is kyber crystal clear that no good deed ever goes unpunished.

Ina, who once helped your inadequate parents raising you, is the best example that kindness towards others is foolish and even a dangerous occupation.

Your face flushes at the very thought of her. The things you did to ensure her personal happiness boarder high treason. If anybody ever found out what you did, especially the Emperor himself, you end up like Lyra. Dead meat in the middle of nowhere.

You remain rooted to the spot, while your Death Troopers search for the Erso girl. Her name you cannot recall. But in the end it does not matter. You have no plans in dealing with the little brat directly. It is better to drop her off in front of the Anil farm house.

While your men scan the farmland and Galen is busy in his new function as moaning widower, you briefly check your private messages. There are none.

Ina made it clear that she hates this mission. Of late, she is good at sulking.

Wind tears at your clothing, making your cape billow like a flag despite the constant drizzle from above.

Adjusting your green cap you let your eyes wander over the volcano- and glacier-shaped landscape of Lah’mu. It is barren, but not without beauty. A haunting beauty.

You fight against the instinct to search some flowers for Ina or to find a pretty stone.

Not for the first time in seven years you feel like contacting Lor San Tekka. Matese, your able henchman, found out that the historian currently lives on Ovanis. There he helps the locals to guard a sacred egg. The assumed death of his wife must have driven him mad. Otherwise he would have never degraded himself to a chicken, busy with maternal care.

Your eyes scan over Galen and the dead Lyra once more.

Madness and love are just inches away from one another. You always tried to avoid the latter.

Without Ina love would still be just a simple sound for you, made out of four letters. If she was here with you right now, she would probably insist on a decent funeral service. Perhaps she would even ask for a traditional 'wake'. Those are still done in the farming communities of Chandrila, either at the home of the deceased or that of a close relative.

In the actual 'wake house' a room has to be prepared for the deceased. It does not matter if the parlour or the bedroom gets used as long as a window can be opened. The spirit of the deceased must be allowed to leave the house. After two hours the window has to be closed again. It is said that this will prevent the spirit from re-entering.

In the meantime the body gets washed and dressed in white. Or in other words: 'laid out'.

At the head and foot of the coffin candles are placed. Those remain lit while the deceased is still present in the house.

All chronos and antique clocks have to be stopped at the time of death. The mirrors have to be covered or turned to face the wall as a mark of respect. In addition all the curtains are closed.

In shifts family members or members of the community watch over the departed.

In dismay you shake your head.

This is not what you want for Lyra. She had tried to murder you in cold blood and one of your Death Troopers had stopped her from doing so.

There will be no 'keening', no visitors and certainly no refreshments.

You should bury the bint in an unnamed grave here on Lah’mu, but Galen is a hero of the Empire. Just because of him the corpse has to be brought to the Imperial Crematorium.

The irony of the entire situation does not escape you.

The infamous 'Ghost Prison' affair, which has turned Ina’s life and her secret marriage upside down, had is origins by Headmaster Gentis visiting the crematorium. He did not like what he saw and committed a coup. Even though his assassination attempt against the Emperor failed, he had harmed a sweet, innocent woman without knowing it.

You bite into your left leather glove.

Once Galen is brought to the Eadu installation, you will commit more time to Ina.

Translation from the Chandrilan rural dialect into Basic:
    gone west = dead
    bint = stupid woman

Sources:
    The song Down in the willow garden”, the version of Loreena McKennitt
    A bow to Ben Mendelsohn for staring in Slow West” (2017)

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    What an intriguing mixture of cynical disdain with affectionate concern. =D= The second person POV just makes it more striking. @};-

DarthUncle, Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  13. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Dang, wrong edit post!

I did not mean to answer you today WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, but then I got distracted by the man who edited my text in his lunch break.

It looks that I am back at work on Wednesday (same employer, totally new place) and my stomach is almost back to normal.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by and oozing your charme & wisdom!

Kahara likes this.
  14. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Nagina missing? I hope she is somewhere safe

DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  15. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    earlybird-obi-wan: This is years away from the current main story line and I cannot possibly spoiler you.

DarthUncle likes this.
  16. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    DarthUncle likes this.
  17. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Well, that helped me find this post, this time (well, first time reading it on the boards instead of having it read to me while I originally wanted to go sleep ;) and this time write down a comment.

I think you captured Orson very well, using his feelings about your Nagina character to contrast to his disdain for Lyra (well said that WarmNyota_SweetAyesha!), and indeed spoilers - Nagina seemingly missing, but Orson knowing more than he is willing to let even the Emperor find out?!

18. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    DarthUncle, thanks for finding the time to ooze clever thoughts. We can discuss that in private otherwise the rest of my readers will be even more spoilered.

19. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    This one contains mega spoliers for the Nagina main story, especially the upcoming Chapter 35!!! @DarthUncle, @earlybird-obi-wan, @Kahara

Title:
    Down in the willow garden”, an Orson Krennic & Ina vignette for the Celtic challenge on the JC boards

Author: AzureAngel2

Co-Author and editor:@DarthUncle

Story 9:My love she did not know”

Summary: Since the end of the Clone Wars the Empire tries its best to restore peace and order to the galaxy. On a small rural planet in the Outer Rim Territory authorities seem to fail their citizens completely. A flawless kindergarten teacher has been killed during the beginning of her daily shift. It is a blood bath.

Time frame: The story takes place in 19 BBY.

Planet of choice: Lothal

Jhothal is such a humble settlement, having nothing to offer but a peaceful atmosphere in the midst of the grassland and the cantina of Old Jho with its docking bay. An offence of such proportions should never have happened here.

Tears smart out of your eyes, but you do not care that others are able to see them. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Nothing.

You suppress the urge to take Ina into your arms. It will only contaminate the crime scene. Perhaps later on. One last little squeeze.

“This was not an armed robbery,” you mutter, while one of your Death Troopers has the decency to put a linen handkerchief on her face. “It is much too brutal for that.”

Besides, Ina keeps the cash of the kindergarten group in one of her cookie jars at home. Even though it is the most stupid thing to do in such a rural area, where everybody else does exactly the same, she never wished any discussion about that.

You hang your head, missing her stubbornness already.

With contemplative steps you walk the ruined group room, taking extreme care not to step on broken toys and furniture pieces.

You can totally rule out youth gangs. This is not Coruscant. The teenagers around here are hard working and have no time for senseless acts like this. Besides Ina was popular among them. She had a way with a lot of people in this area and in Capital City.

No, whoever did that is not from Lothal. That person came here with ill plans in his mind. It seems obvious to you that he wanted to take this place apart. Then he murdered the Loth-cat in a foul way. Ina was to see both things, before she died. It was meant to terrorize her, to break her.

You step up to a broken window and gaze outside.
    Lord Vader can be excluded from your musings as well. Without further comment he had given the Jedi artefacts back nine month ago. There had never been an arrest warrant for Ina, leave alone a warrant of execution. A lot of rumours are around about his capricious moods. But in this particular case he showed mercy, unexpected fairness even. A strange notion for a man who is some kind of Jedi-hunter.

“Sir, the medical examiner is here.”

You jerk around. “I will stay.”

You will not leave Ina alone now. Apart from her secret lover, of whose identity you still have no clue, she was always very modest. If a stranger is about to cut her up, you will stay by her side. Even hold hands if necessary.

Very carefully, you push the ruined window open. “My love she did not know.”

Outside the weather is mild and there is sunshine. No clouds to be seen.

If her spirit is still in here, it should get a chance to take free flight. This is at least what folk on Chandrila believe. It would mean a lot to Ina if you keep up with the traditions she grew up with. They were never yours. You hated your farm boy background, still do.

“A wake,” you mumble. “You need a wake. It will not fix things, but it will make it right.”

“Sir?” your Death Trooper addresses you.

“What?” you bark back impatiently.

“We cannot reach the Emperor. There is still chaos on Coruscant. Some sources say that the entire leadership is dead apart from Headmaster Gentis. Others claim that Tarkin...”

You feel like knocking that man out of his black amour. “I do not want rumours. I want solid facts. Keep trying to get somebody in charge on the line!”

Another coup. You are sure of it. But the Emperor will prevail. Prior this year he outlived four Jedi knights. Seventy-two Imperial targets eliminated within minutes sure did no harm to him. He was not anywhere near those places, but inside the Imperial Palace. Some future Moffs were to be presented to him. He was safe.

The Death Trooper backs off again.

Dread fills you. Not about Sheev Palpatine. The reaction of Ina´s huge foster family worries you. Then there are all those friends and acquaintances that she has made over the years. Their number makes you dizzy.

“It is going to be a large funeral,” you realize.

Ina once told you that a mortician by the name of Commodex Tahn had helped to give her mother a decent cremation. Her uncle Sheev Palpatine had paid all the costs.

“Find me Master Tahn, a Naboo mortician! Tell him to come to Lothal straight away! There is a job to do. Money is not an issue. I do not want Ina to be cremated looking like this.”

“What a mess!” complains a well-accented Coruscanti voice.

“Doctor House!” you bite out as you face the haggard man clutching to his walking stick. He does not even wear the obligatory yellow overall. Even you did bother to put one on.

“Whom have you expected? The tooth fairy?” He rolls his eyes at you, grey-blue orbs full of rejection. “Get a grip on life, Krennic!”

Shocked, you watch him bent his knees towards Ina.

“Hullo, there!” He lifts the handkerchief. “Not very talkative today, is she, eh? Looks bad, too.”

You hold the storm back that is brewing in you. “Somebody has cut her throat.”

“That might explain a lot. Usually Mistress Samye is more pleasant to hang around with.” Doctor House nods to himself. And only then you witness it, the flicker of regret in his eyes.

“Why were you called out here?” you fire straight at him.

“Keep your head on, Krennic!” Mockingly, he pulls up both hands like a prisoner ready to surrender. “You asked for the best and here I am.”

You inhale sharply. “You are not fit to work. You simply stink of Corellian whiskey.”

“Oh, I drank one in her honour as soon as I heard. She was a nice lady. Big enough to park a speeder bike on, but good as gold.”

He did not say whether he drank just a glass or an entire bottle.

Your worry increases.

“I want somebody else,” you demand.

“Though bantha poodoo, Krennic. I locked Saroyan in with “Ducky” Mallard. Isles makes a visit on the other side of the planet. And Macy might not to be able to find his speeder bike.”

You are speechless.

“Mistress Samye deserves the best that this lousy prairie can offer. Not some necrophiliac.” He reaches into the side pockets of his tunic and puts his gloves on. “I want to find out who did this to her and why as much as you do.”

You run a hand over your tired eyes. “Let us start then!” you grumble.

“All gentleman in black, out!” Doctor House shouts through the room. “Move your sorry arses! There is a lady in here, you scum!”

Sources:
    The song “Down in the willow garden”, the version of Loreena McKennitt
    A bow to Ben Mendelsohn for staring in “Slow West” (2017)
    Mentioning of several known TV coroners & doctors:
    Dr. Camille Saroyan by Tamara Taylor from Hart Hanson in “Bones” (2006-2017)
    Dr. Donald “Ducky” by Mallard Daavid McCallum from Donald P. Bellisario & Don McGill in “NCIS” (since 2003)
    Dr. Garret Macy by Miguel Ferrer from Tim King in “Crossing Jordan” (2001-2007)
    Dr. Maua Isles by Sasha Alexander from Tess Gerritsen in “Rizzoli & Isles” (2010-2016)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  20. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    This challenge also had its last entry! :D I am finished here.

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Super conclusion -- love the various POVs with the "You" intensifies the effect =D=

22. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Darth Gangrenous likes this.