main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    If her sexuality is addressed, it will probably be explored in a book. The fast paced storytelling of Rebels probably denies the possibilities for complex relationships and character development. If we take season three, for example, the growth of her character happened pretty quickly; Ahsoka, in TCW, took many seasons and story arcs to get "matured" (for a lack of better term) and the audience had much more time to explore her depth. Rebels just isn't the same.

We're in the final season of Rebels. So, probably not going to happen on TV. Alas.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There is a possibility it could be handled the way Bill's sexuality was handled on Doctor Who.

3. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

That is an avenue I never considered. Very plausible.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    How did they handle that?

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    She met a woman in the first or second episode, they had a scene or two together and it was obvious that they had feelings for each other. They met again at the end of the season and a kiss happened then.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I could dig that approach. Really anything is fine as long as its not the only trait of the character.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  7. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

I don't know. I think she was pretty interested in Lando. Than again, who wouldn't be ;)

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    She was intrested in Hondo becuase of his love of "Art" :p

9. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    *Lando. I seriously hope Sabine wasn't interested in Hondo, that would be even weirder.

MrDarth0 likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I've been watching to much TCW. Literally watched more then half of season 3 today.

Sandtrooper956 and cwustudent like this.
  11. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    So recently I've thinking about a lot of things regarding gay characters that's been discussed within the Star Wars community, and I'd kinda like to say my own opinions about them. A lot of fans have outright said they don't want gay characters (but honestly at this point we just sorta ignore them), while others have said they would only be okay with it if it wasn't "forced" (lots of good puns could be made here).

And honestly I've kinda come to realize I have a big problem with people using that argument. For starters, what does forced even mean, like seriously? Some fans will call any new character who isn't a straight white male forced or pandering and that's just totally unfair. Does forced just mean anything they don't like? Would any gay characters come off as "forced" to them? People seem to have a hard time realizing gay people and minorities exist outside of politics for some reason. I have a hard time believing lots of fans wouldn't call any gay character forced to be honest. Then they'll also blame Disney for making a big deal out of race, gender, or sexuality when Disney doesn't do that, and rather it's the fans over reacting who are making the big deal out of it.

Secondly, as if Star Wars isn't absolutely filled forced relationships (seriously this is quality pun material). Anakin and Padme's relationship was definitely forced in the prequels. "I don't like sand....". I can promise that if either of them had their sexes swapped, fans would be calling it forced and pandering. Same goes for Han and Leia as well as other relationships in Star Wars. This excuse is used over and over and if a gay relationships were to happen, I'm sure it wouldn't be forced. And honestly, who cares if it is? What's the problem for you if they throw one in there and it comes off as forced? Heh, it would fit right in.

Another thing I wanted to discuss is how if there were to be gay characters, lots of fans wouldn't want them to be open about it. People seem to think all gay people are closeted and never talk about being gay. I'm gonna let you in on a secret, lots of gay people talk about it a lot and are super open about it. For many it's just a part of who we are. That doesn't mean all are, but I have lots of friends who talk about it all the time. Like honestly I went to a party recently where we had gay jeopardy as one of the games.

While Star Wars does usually avoid talking about more "political" things, that doesn't mean it isn't something that cant come up. Maybe Sabine could have a brief talk with Hera or Kanan, or at the very least Ezra could say something along the lines of "Hey I didn't know you were gay!" to Sabine. Gay isn't a curse word and even in a galaxy far far away sexuality exists. Recently a preview came out for a new Legend of Korra comic that actually has Aang's daughter talking with Korra and Asami about their sexuality and how Aang reacts to it and of course since it's Avatar they handle it perfectly. Here it is for anyone interested:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I'm not saying Star Wars needs to do it exactly like that, but I love how the comic talks about how being gay is actually a thing that affects them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that they can have gay characters and be subtle about it (which I'm totally okay with too), but there isn't anything wrong with it coming up at least briefly. Whether that be in Rebels, another show, or some other form of media.

Anyways that's my rant about stuff feel free to discuss it with me I'll do my best to keep cool and be open to others opinions, and sorry for the long post.

12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    At this point in time, I find it kind of ridiculous that some people have an issue with gay characters.

I mean, no one has an issue with straight characters, so why should anyone give a damn that a character is gay?

13. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    See page 52 on this thread. ^^

14. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    This thread, in general, makes me pretty happy to see the community's acceptance, with some splashes of despair added in for terrible flavor.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Depends really. We have a few bad apples, that occasionally pop up. But, I've learned not to react to them.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Because there will always be ignorant/homophobic people.

Outsourced likes this.
  17. MandaloreRex2015

MandaloreRex2015 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2015
    Yes. There are so many double standards used to criticize fiction for including LGBT characters, female characters, non-white characters, etc... There's this one Tumblr post that pretty much sums it up that what people mean when they say they don't want those characters forced into their media is "It's bad enough I have to tolerate the existence of these people in the real world, I don't want to have to put up with them in my fictional ones too."

Because however reasonable someone may seem when they say they don't want something to be forced, it's going to be "forced" anyway (not the Anakin/Padme kind of forced you're referring to) because western civilization has been institutionalizing the idea that the viewpoint of a straight white cisgender male is inherently impartial, and any deviation from that is considered pandering or "forced diversity". Borrowing from another Tumblr post, having a gay character, a woman, or anyone who isn't white as a protagonist isn't political. Implying that they shouldn't have any role bigger than token side character is. And even then, people will still complain about forced diversity= anyway.

And to anyone who tries to use the argument that they just don't want gay romances shoved in their faces, do you mean like this?:
    http://ezekielofgod.tumblr.com/post/79599892151/i-dont-have-a-problem-with-gay-people-i-just
    (Caution: NSFW)

Sorry for adding to the rant, I just wanted to add on that the media's reliance on straight white male protagonists has conditioned people to accept that as the norm when it's far more political than unclipping the rope barrier for a gay, female, or non-white protagonist will ever be.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "People seem to have a hard time realizing that gay people and minorities exist outside politics for some reason." Add "strong self-sufficient women" to that and it pretty much sums up everything.

19. I have no problem with a character being gay lesbian or trans my problem is that they do it only for diversity and not by the evolution of the character

In legends there were two mandalorians gays and there was not much boom for it the same can happen in the canon

20. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

For the record, I absolutely ABHOR the word 'gays' - it makes it sound like being 'gay' is 'different from human'.

'Two gay mandelorians' - sure, no problem! Stated like that? *urrrg!*

I just hear the voice of the trooper in my head - 'Look sir! Gays (droids)...'

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Indeed. Also, the argument could be made that a character being straight could be for "tradition" as opposed to character growth.

22. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    Good lord, the emotional and political maturity of the Avatar universe and media is amazing. And they hardly ever kill anyone! I try not to compare Star Wars television with Avatar because I'm consistently disappointed by how few Star Wars stories have any emotional weight to them.

That being said, let's get some relationships of all varieties into Star Wars so maybe I could actually feel something for once. Been dancing around Kanan and Hera for 3 seasons, come on . . . I feel like nothing has changed with the characters since season 1.

23. I'm sorry it was not my intention to offend anyone

24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Oh not to worry it wasn't personal - It just crops up on occasion, and I finally managed to put it into words. :)

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    If someone was not to use the word gay then what should they use instead. There is Homosexual, but that's all I can think of.