main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social vs. Thread: Social Thread v9.0

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AdamBertocci, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    Thought I'd drop in for a bit. How are things around here?

2. lejmar_faldor_uk

lejmar_faldor_uk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 20, 2000
    *Tumble Weed*

Chad_Peter and TCF-1138 like this.
  3. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    What's strange is most people have good quality cameras in their phones, they have the technology sitting right there but the lack of creativity and imagination in the digital age is concerning.

R2-DK likes this.
  4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Some of you may remember hearing news that two years ago our own DorkmanScott was hit by a car.

Although his recovery is still a work in progress in many ways, we've recently been told that not only is he walking again, but he's going back to work at his old gig in the VFX industry!

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Glad to hear Dorkman is doing well! I used to lurk this forum back in its hay day (I actually learned how to made lightsabers in After Effects with Ryan's tutorial haha) and I remember all the great contributions he made, including the famous Ryan vs. Dorkman series. He was also very insightful and entertaining on the Friendsinyourhead podcasts. So it's nice to hear that he's back working again and continuing to make progress in his recovery.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This is just wonderful news!

7. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    I got to do lightsabers yesterday for an old TFNer's film.

Only two shots, but enough to give me a taste of the old days. Ah me.

Rick McCallum loves you!

R2-DK and TCF-1138 like this.
  8. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    I really enjoyed "Rogue One". (A REMINDER: No spoilers here, not until two weeks from the release date)

I thought it was an excellent experiment in doing Star Wars in a different style, while still honoring the established characters and world, and bringing it home in the last reel to dovetail beautifully with ANH.

Rick McCallum loves you!

9. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Oh boy, Carrie Fisher. This is a sad one. Leia was my favorite of the original gang.

I'll come right to the point:

Our Princess is rightly being honored for all the work she did off-screen advocating for mental health care and telling her own story. She didn't seem to have one favorite charity, but I think it would be a wonderful gesture if Star Wars fans around the world could find a cause and donate in honor of Carrie Fisher.

I've given $19.77. Will you match me?

Here are a couple of options. If I hear of a Fisher family favorite I'll update this post.

The International Bipolar Association — she was an honorary board member. And it couldn't be easier: you can use credit card or PayPal (PayPal ensures no fees).
    http://www.ibpf.org/donate

Alzheimer's Association — another mental health cause to which Fisher donated. This one is close to my heart as well due to family history.
    http://www.alz.org/join_the_cause_donate.asp

The Midnight Mission — helping the homeless get on their feet and live better lives, including but not limited to mental illness. Fisher was honored for her support at their 2014 gala.
    https://app.mobilecause.com/form/j6Qkhw
    There are more, of course. Perhaps there is a mental health charity or service in your own area so you can make a difference in your little corner of the galaxy.
    Who's with me?

Rick McCallum loves you!

TCF-1138 likes this.
  10. StevenBills

StevenBills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2006
    Wow. Just realized I passed my 11 year mark on this board. Things sure have come a loooooooooooong way since then.

Back then, tutorials were in written format with teeny tiny pictures to show what they were talking about. Back then, lightsabers in a video were a novelty. Now they're a dime a dozen.

Now there's YouTube.

Get off my lawn!

SB

TCF-1138 likes this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I know what you mean! I've been here with this username since 2002, and for two or three years before that with an earlier username.
    I remember waiting for hours to download "Duel" (the film the Duality guys did before Duality), and the KnightQuest teaser trailer on my 56k modem, in glorious high-res QuickTime video - about the size of an average postage stamp :p

Good times!

R2-DK likes this.
  12. StevenBills

StevenBills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2006
    Ah yes. Duel. Rotoscoping a Premiere filmstrip in Photoshop, before the days of AE or Commotion to make the mattes. Back when Art of the Saber was new and novel, as was Essence of the Force. Always a classic.

And Troops, and Duality, and Contract of Evil, and Pink Five. The list goes on.

Man, it was a good time to be a fan, in terms of the democratizing of the filmmaking technology.

SB

R2-DK and TCF-1138 like this.
  13. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Today three of us from the old days at this very forum were in the same room: me, the illustrious cinematographer Eric Branco, and, of course, Aaron Moorhead, there in his capacity as co-director of "The Endless", at the Tribeca Film Festival.

"The Endless" is getting all kinds of buzz, and if you haven't seen his prior productions "Resolution" and "Spring", you really should.

Eric has been busy himself. He DP'd a short that played at Sundance earlier this year.

So all you young folks out there who wonder, gee, can you really take your first steps toward learning to make 'real' movies from a Star Wars fan film forum — I guess it didn't screw their lives up too badly!

Rick McCallum loves you!

TCF-1138 likes this.
  14. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Bunch of newbies still posting here I see. :p

Congrats to those of you that worked on Endless.

There are many many members from this board that started out with fan film projects and went on to work on major feature films, TV and more.

I caught the bug here as a newbie myself (hence the screen name) and never finished my own fan film project mostly because I used what I learned to transition to pro work. I was lucky enough to work on one films that won an oscar for best visual effects, completed an MFA in Visual Effects degree, and I've been heading up an Animation & Visual Effects program at a major university here in the US for about five years now. It's been such a long journey that some of my former students have now done work on file a with Oscars in Animation or Visual Effects.

Do or do not, this may be true, but a deep dive in even trying can lead to amazing things.

Have fun.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  15. Ephisus

Ephisus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003

Aaron and I used to chat all the time, show each other WIP after we ran into each other on a Battlefield 1942 Desert Combat Mod multiplayer match. Caught up with him virtually years later when I saw him on some Wayside Fallout film BTS.

I came around to the old stomping grounds because I finished working on a film for Make-a-wish recently, and one of my stunt guys on it was working with Dave Macomber of Duality fame elsewhere.

Also, this is from years ago, the company I produce media for had a presence states away at a college's careers fair, and Kyle Gallagher (ChiWarriorKye) recognized me from some footage playing at our booth.

There's something magical about seeing all us kids playing with broomsticks in our backyards in the early 00's having disseminated as functional practitioners all over the industry.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  16. Ricky_Calrissian

Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Master star 3

Nov 17, 2008
    Hey everyone!

17. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
  18. Ricky_Calrissian

Nov 17, 2008

[​IMG]

NateCaauwe likes this.
  19. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Today BPStoyle (I think that was his forum name, yes?) was in New York, had brunch with him.

I still haven't met allllll my old pals from the heyday of this forum, but, making progress bit by bit.

I have been thinking about this forum and the good old days. With Adobe Flash being fazed out, I am taking the action to preserve my Flash cartoons in a non-Flash form for the future. I want to do a "Run Leia Run" Special Edition—preserving all my old crappy animation etc. etc., but giving myself the freedom to use all sorts of video tools and effects rather than only do what you could do within Flash in the early 2000s, since format is no longer an issue.

Rick McCallum loves you!

TCF-1138 likes this.
  20. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I'll re-watch. :) And we still need to meet IRL - I've been pretty terrible about that over the years.

21. Chad_Peter

Chad_Peter Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 9, 2000
    Happy 2018, folks! Man o man... getting a little misty looking back through all these posts. Many friends made here.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  22. Ricky_Calrissian

Nov 17, 2008
    There are so many TFNers out here in Los Angeles now as VFX artists...

PadawanNick likes this.
  23. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    drewjmore and I are practically neighbors in Greater Chicago now.
    We're a little too burdened by adulthood to do much in the way of new productions though. I've just been chipping away at some old projects.

However, we still have SaberComp '19 to look forward to. Get hype, crickets!
    https://sabercomp.com/
    //shamelessplug

24. Ephisus

Ephisus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    The whirligig of time.

25. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I find your lack of posts disturbing.

Hope everyone is well.
    Have fun.