main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The July 2017 Read & Review Marathon | Congrats Finds & WarmNyota! Feedback needed please :)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Chyntuck, Jun 28, 2017.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    3 more done today, =120 reviews. Total words=3,075.

Chyntuck - thanks for this unique challenge! It has been loads of fun @};-

Tarsier, Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    My final count is 23 reviews, 9176 words. Even though I came late this time, I too have really enjoyed this challenge and would be glad to see it happen again—thanks so much for setting it up, Chyntuck.

And Sith-I-5, sorry to hear about the health distractions—I hope you are doing better now and taking good care.

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Tarsier and Findswoman like this.
  4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Sigh...I pretty much bombed this one: one review, 398 words.

5. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    No, I'm pretty certain I did maybe around 10 reviews on a handful of fics, but I never did get around to count words.
    Maybe on average 9 or so words each review?
    I think my total review words count maybe around 100 to 150 words?

Thank you Chyntuck for organizing and running this contest.

6. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    35 reviews, 10,074 words

7. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    No, I have not reviewed anything. I have failed this challenge miserably.

Chyntuck likes this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Congratulations to everybody, no matter how much you did. You are awesome and everybody loves a good review! :)

9. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks everyone for your replies, and thanks to all who participated and followed this. I hope we can run this challenge again in a few months and more people can join :)

After some quick morning math, we have winners!

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha is our winner for Most Prolific Reviewer with a whooping 120 reviews in a month.
    Findswoman is our winner for Most Detailed Reviewer with an average of 398.82 words per review.

Mr Chyn will be in touch with you about your badges as soon as he's awake :p

Feedback questions:

What would be a good time of year to run this challenge again?

Should we change anything about the rules? (e.g. should we require a larger minimum number of fics to participate, should there be a minimum total word count, etc.)

Any suggestions for prizes?

Anything else you'd like to mention?

Findswoman likes this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    1. Early spring, mid fall. Examples, April/May mid-October. Can be as early as early September. [face_thinking] For those whose work/school schedules (the latter for parents of school age children) try to avoid times when kids are on school break. :p [face_thinking]

2. Minimum number of fics to review: I think 5 is a good number. Minimum word count: not necessary but if put in maybe something like 20-25 words.

3. I cannot think of any other changes.

4. This is a great way to catch up/rediscover fics. :cool:

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  11. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Wow, this is fantastic—I'm pretty floored! Thanks so much. :) Congratulations to WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for a most impressive showing, and many thanks to all who took part—I very much enjoyed this. =D=

I too would be fine with trying it October; November would work for me too, though I understand if we don't want to step on NaNoWriMo. I'd also be fine with early next year, maybe in February, March, or April.

Five as the minimum number of fics reviewed seems reasonable to me. I'm fine either way on a minimum word count per review; maybe 20–30?

Well, badges by Mr. Chyn are always fantastic! :D Just brainstorming here on some others: some kind of promotion opportunity (ad thread, etc.); colors and title if the mods agree to them (which I realize depends on several factors)...

Thanks again for this challenge—I really enjoyed it, and I look forward to next time. :)

12. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    1. Good time to run again == My opinion is different from the others. I think it should be during the traditional summer vacation. I understand that it is "Family Time", but all the other months are "Work Months".... so :p

2. Minimum number of fics to participate: Are you talking about fics we authored before = e.g. you have to have authored 5 fics before in order to participate, or are you talking about you must review five fics in said challenge month, otherwise you get disqualified? Same with review word counts? e.g. each of your reviews must be more than 50 words, otherwise you get disqualified? I have no problem with if you want to participate, you must have authored, say 5 fics before, but I don't want to write a drabble for reviews... However, I think consecutively simply typing Good fic! four times in a row is ground for disqualification.

3. Champion List, Mod recommended (official Check out The Champion's Work Post in the Fanfic board). Asterisks, underlines? Colours? Maybe even Stars like the soccer world cup with our profile pics?

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Congratulations to the other participants & to Findswoman =D= foot, I'm gonna love my badge already. [face_laugh] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Ewok Poet, Findswoman and DARTH_MU like this.
  14. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Just to clarify, when I said adding a minimum word count to the rules I was thinking of the total word count, not a minimum word count per review. A minimum word count per review could work too, but I don't find that there's anything wrong with leaving a review that says "Great developments" or "What an amazing story" or any other version of "I was here and read this", or even just leaving a gif review. If we have a "read and review marathon", there should be as much emphasis on the "read" as on the "review" -- people can choose to "marathonise" their reviews by making them extra detailed, or people can choose to just gobble up fics, and both are fine.

Findswoman and DARTH_MU like this.
  15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Congratulations to Nyota and Findswoman on your amazing reviewing! I know the writers really appreciate your commitment to leaving feedback!
    =D=^:)^

16. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I didn't take part in this due to having been a plant in July, but I thought I'd give my two cents at last - this is a great, great initiative and it made it even more difficult to keep up dragged a lot of great stories I somehow have missed on top, as well as brought me a couple of unexpected, stellar reviews. :)

So, regarding the feedback:

What would be a good time of year to run this challenge again?
    - As long as it's not during the Golden Yoda Awards or the same month when a Word Race is scheduled, it's okay.

Should we change anything about the rules? (e.g. should we require a larger minimum number of fics to participate, should there be a minimum total word count, etc.)
    - Minimum total word count would be a good idea. At the same time, having seen that total word count does not play a role at all, perhaps add a third award, for that, too?

Any suggestions for prizes?
    Colours, perhaps advertising fics for a week.

Anything else you'd like to mention?
    Nope, as I said, I like the idea and I'll deffo take part next time around. :)