main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    When you find yourself in possession of plot bunnies for multiple fandoms.

I am currently trying to deal with several Star Wars plot bunnies, a Star Trek plot bunny, a Firefly plot bunny, a Firefly/Star Wars crossover plot bunny, two Beauty and the Beast plot bunnies, and two Phantom of the Opera plot bunnies. Definitely a full hutch. Or maybe I don't even have a hutch. Maybe it's a plot bunny corral. What even?

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  2. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    With that many, I think you've got a ranch!

Ridley Solo and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Farm, it is called a bunny farm, not a bunny ranch :-B:p

Ridley Solo likes this.
  4. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    IDK... I always think of ranches as being bigger than farms!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  5. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    When you find yourself in possession of plot bunnies for multiple fandoms.

I am currently trying to deal with several Star Wars plot bunnies, a Star Trek plot bunny, a Firefly plot bunny, a Firefly/Star Wars crossover plot bunny, two Beauty and the Beast plot bunnies, and two Phantom of the Opera plot bunnies. Definitely a full hutch. Or maybe I don't even have a hutch. Maybe it's a plot bunny corral. What even?

6. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    a double post loaded after an hour?

7. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    When you're getting plot bunnies and ideas about anything( including the ones that currently do not fit into your fanfics), except for the details you need.

DARTH_MU likes this.
  8. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    I thought it didn't load the first time. Sorry.

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    When you think of a cool scene that could really do with writing down to preserve the order, but you are afraid to, because it takes place several steps ahead of where you currently are; and whenever you do do that, it leaves a void because you physically, mentally, and creatively are unable to bridge where you are now, to where this future scene takes place.

My second-to-last roleplay game, the Games Master would get impatient and post something ahead of where the game had gotten to, and tell us players to "write towards it", and I was always unable to, as that new scene became for me, the new current timeline.

10. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    When... scenes for bunnies are writing themselves in your head even though you don't want to commit to writing the story at all! Seriously, where is Elmer Fudd when I need him?

Ewok Poet and Raissa Baiard like this.
  11. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    ...when you have a serious discussion with other writers about what cologne/shampoo products and fragrances your characters wear.

...when your plot bunny grows up into an actual story, which spawns more plot bunnies. And you feel compelled to WRITE THEM ALL NOW before anything happens to the characters in canon.

12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    ...when you were a part of the above serious discussion. :D

13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    ...when you too were part of the above mentioned discussion; and

...when you realize that you will be spending the next several evenings doing exactly the same things you have the OC you just wrote about spending her evenings doing—and that you will likely become just as stressed out as she is. [face_hypnotized]

14. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    When you wish you'd been part of the aforementioned discussion because your new Wookie OC has decided they want to do some interesting stuff with their fur.

15. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when inspiration chooses you, you don't choose it.

Findswoman and mavjade like this.
  16. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Dern double post! Sorry. [face_whistling]

17. Darth Osnil

Darth Osnil Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 29, 2016
    When you want to use a character, but realize you chose a completely different time in the series. I personally wanted to use Captain Rex and Company, but I forgot that he wasn't in the first season of Rebels. Karabast!

Findswoman and Raissa Baiard like this.
  18. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    When you want to use a character, one of your OC, but realizes she is from a different universe (AU).

19. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    ...when you start mentally pairing up one of your supporting OCs with a friend's supporting OC. :eek: (Forgive me, friend! :p )

20. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    When you find yourself in a similar position as the character in a story you're working on, and you can see your character and your muse laughing at you...

21. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Related to this, last night I was reading through some half-finished scenes I wrote years ago. In said scenes, my main character was struggling with a problem that isn't uncommon but I'd never really experienced at the time. But last night when I read a few lines of dialogue when my character was venting to another character about it, the light bulb came on and I realized that ZOMG this is the exact articulation of a problem I've been dealing with in my life for the past year. Different details, same basic problem, same feelings in the aftermath. It weirded me out a bit, but it also helped seeing things expressed in words and somehow made more manageable that way. So thanks, Past Self, for including that in there for me to find when I needed it.

I'm lucky that this character is more of the "join the club" type than the "laugh at you" type. :p

22. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    When you go on a family vacation to Walt Disney World, see all the awesome Star Wars stuff at Hollywood Studios, and consider the entire experience as research.

23. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    When you have also done this with the Moroccan pavilion at EPCOT because your fanon planet is Space!Morocco :)

24. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    ...when you have common themes that you write about, and only realize they've been common themes for years. (This really applies to all writers).

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  25. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    ...when you have common themes that you write about, and only realize they've been common themes for years. (This really applies to all writers).