main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your Star Wars Collecting quirks

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Aug 7, 2017.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    So this is sort of a getting to know you thread and a means of seeing how other people collect. The land of Star Wars merchandising is sooo vast, I'm curious to see what drives each of us to dig through the enormous amount of collectibles out there and decide what to bring home.

1) What are your favorite Star Wars things to collect? (Specific toy lines, vintage, figure sizes, statues, is your collection character-specific? Etc.)

2) What sorts of triggers for an item will jump it to the top of your priority list to buy it? (Price-point, uniqueness, rareness, quality, etc.)

3) Conversely, what triggers immediately turn you off from acquiring something?

4) What's your greatest find/steal/deal to date?

5) What's your Holy Grail (Item that's unobtainable for you at this time for whatever reason) but on your ultimate dream list to own?

6) If you had a say in a new merchandising line to come into being, what would you want to see?

7) What lines do you have zero interest in collecting, and why?

8) How do you display your collection? If it's currently packed away, how would you display it if you could? / How would your dream display look?

9) Will you be out buying on Force Friday? What sorts of things are you looking forward to?

10) Any big regrets on things you didn't pick up, gave away, or lost?

11) Finally, if you had say in a CURRENT merchandising line and had a say in making improvements/changes to it, what would your suggestions be?

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Well here are mine for now:

1) What are your favorite Star Wars things to collect? (Specific toy lines, vintage, figure sizes, statues, is your collection character-specific? Etc.)

I find myself to be character-centric. I like anything that looks like the characters from the films, primarily 12" scale figures are my usual #1 focus, but I get 3 3/4", 6" figures, mugs, Pops, and any other assorted "stuff" that look like the characters. I also mostly focus on the good guys, but do have Imperials, etc also.

2) What sorts of triggers for an item will jump it to the top of your priority list to buy it? (Price-point, uniqueness, rareness, quality, etc.)

First I lean to 12" scale figures so I like things that are on that scale, which include Gentle Giant mini-busts. I then go by characters - I'll look at at item and see if it would go w/ the other "stuff" I have for that character. Is the item unique looking? Would the size/scale work w/ what I currently have? Ultimately do I have room for it and can I display it?

Price point - if I don't see value in something I won't get it. If something is overly common or I feel it's rehash of something I won't get it.

I buy a lot of stuff via ebay, my least favorite thing of all is getting stuff that reeks of cigarette smoke. I once won a vintage sandcrawler display that I barely got the box open and was nearly knocked over by the smoke smell. It's the only thing I've flat out returned because there's just no getting that out of the cardboard.

For Star Wars probably my $4.99 Vintage Millenium Falcon that I got last year at Goodwill, that and I scored a vintage 12" scale 1G-88 for like $3.50 at another thrift store.

5) What's your Holy Grail (Item that's unobtainable for you at this time for whatever reason) but on your ultimate dream list to own?

I desperately need the Robert Tonner Queen Amidala FAO Schwartz trunk set. If I ever win the lottery that's the first thing I'll be tracking down to buy.

I also really, really, REALLY want an original vintage Death Star playset.

6) If you had a say in a new merchandising line to come into being, what would you want to see?

I've always been a big proponant on getting merchandise out there for girls, so the Forces of Destiny line is a step in the right direction. If I had my ultimate say, I'd love a higher end line of 12" scale Barbie type dolls that are from Star Wars that can be dressed and displayed. So for those of us who do collect Sideshow/Hot Toys - we can get gorgeous Padme dolls and such in their lovely gowns to go along w/ the great action figures.

Legos. When I was a kid I never had "Lego sets" - I had a bucket of blue, white, red, and yellow blocks that I made up into fortresses for my SW action figures. Directions for Legos? Whatever.

8) How do you display your collection? If it's currently packed away, how would you display it if you could? / How would your dream display look?

I've got a bunch of IKEA Billy bookcases, a large IKEA bookshelf and 2 Glass detolf cases. I believe I need and have just enough room for 4 more large Billies in my office to expand my rapidly growing collection. If I get them I'll have zero room anywhere for posters to display.

9) Will you be out buying on Force Friday? What sorts of things are you looking forward to?

I might head out but probably a couple of days later to see what's left. I need to decide what I'm going to focus on for Ep 8, Rey, Luke, Leia - maybe Finn and Rose stuff is what I'm leaning towards. I picked up bad guys stuff for Ep 7 and haven't done much w/ it. I wouldn't mind getting some more Phasma stuff though.

Once long ago I cut out daily and sunday sTAR WARS comic strips out of my newspaperand kep them in an envelope, the orignal strips vanished long ago, I have no idea what happened to them.

11) Finally, if you had say in a CURRENT merchandising line and had a say in making improvements/changes to it, what would your suggestions be?

For figures I'd like to see more back ground and iconic figures. "Rogue One" we got Darth Vader merchandise, why didn't we get new Bail Organa or Mon Mothma figures? And again why are we still waiting on Ep 7 Luke and Leia figures?

3. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017

I think I am film character centric too. I stayed away from the EU material when I was younger waiting for more films. I have a Pop collection and just started my FOD collection. I think I may be moving over to the Hot Toys now that I know the PT Anakin Skywalker is coming.

Space is a huge factor for me so a lot of my items are posters or clothing.

I am turned off normally by a lot of figures because of the bad paint jobs most have.

Just managing to find some of the Pops at retail like the Darth Vader with TIE fighter.

I'm not sure. I haven't been actively collecting long. I really want that Princess Leia poster they gave out at Celebration.

More for girls! If stuff like FOD had been around when I was younger, or even when my daughter was younger we would have been thrilled! I'd love to see dioramas or scene settings to use with Hot Toys characters.
    More female Star Wars costumes.

Legos. Ships. Badly painted figures.

Right now my Pops are split between work and home. Some are still in the boxes and some aren't. Same with the FODs. I don't have much space so I have small and simple.

No. There aren't any lines I was interested in getting other than the FODs that I already have.

No. I never had a huge long term collection.

I guess this is really where the EU comes into play- I would like to see more Sith characters.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Fetts and Fett-related items (Slave I, other hunters) are the focus of my collection. I will go for other figures if I like the look of them. I also have all of the adult novels and a fair amount of the SW 'non-fiction' like Essential Guides, etc. If I get comics I tend to go for tpbs since I don't have a local comic shop.

Mostly the look of an item. I'm a sucker for larger Fetts, such as the Kotobukiya figures. I have a few minibusts and statues as well.

Not a real fan of Jedi. I do have some clone figures and a couple of Vaders. I did get Slave Leia Unleashed but more for the value. It's not on display.

I have the original SW collectible - a first edition of the ANH novelization. Unfortunately it languished in a book case for years so it isn't in great shape. It's in a comic bag now. I also snagged an original theatrical poster from a local cinema - I had a friend who was a friend of one of the projectionists there who snagged it for me when the film ended.

I'd love a life-size Boba Fett statue but that's a lottery dream - even if I could afford it I have no room for it. I do have a Boba Fett standee though.

Maybe some of the EU and Legends characters.

Stuff aimed at real young collectors, such as the 'Dorbs and most of the plushies I see. (I do have a couple of plushie Fetts though). I didn't think I'd like the Funko Pops but I have some of those.

I'd love a library for the books and some glassed display cases for some of the higher-end stuff but it's only a two bedroom flat so making a 'SW room' isn't an option. Again, if I hit the Lottery that could change. Quite a bit is packed but quite a bit is also displayed.
    Most of the books/comics are either in bookcases or on shelves.

I have two toy shops near me - a small Entertainer and a fairly small TRU. Neither has done Force Friday in the past. I'll probably plan a trip up to Forbidden Planet in London for some time in Sep.

Not really. If I see something I like and I can afford it I will usually pick it up. There is one item though - back in AOTC days Forbidden Planet had a snow globe with Slave I in it. I passed due to the weight of the item (I had gone into London by train/Tube). I wish I'd have gotten that.

My changes would be more in distribution to the UK. We just never see some items at retail here.

5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004

I remember you getting a good deal on that IG-88, but I had no idea it was for three bucks! As the kids would say, that's cray cray!

Strictly vintage (save for the 6" Black Series; and then only OT characters). For me, it's the vintage OT era stuff that really means something to me. It's not just cool stuff on a shelf, it's a part of me.

Condition. The items I focus on are between 34 and 40 years old, and finding stuff in mint/near mint condition grows tougher by the year. If a white item lacks the dirt and yellowing typical of such items, I'll absolutely pay a premium for it.

Excessive wear. Every scratch tells a story, but it's not one I want to hear :p.

I got a vintage TESB lunchbox (the one w/the painted art), mint, unused and w/thermos for about $35.00. This was back in the mid 00's, but that was still a heckuva deal.

The other TESB lunchbox, mint w/thermos. I have the SW (version w/o side art), the painted art TESB and ROTJ lb's complete and mint. But I've had zero luck finding a mint version of the other. I have one, but it's the one I had as a kid, and though I wouldn't part with it for the world, it's seen better days.

I really only pay attention to the 6" black series these days, so SW at retail is barely a blip on my radar. I've also never been much for the high end merchandise, which looks fabulous, but I'd rather focus my collecting budget on a broader range. I suppose I'd like to see a return to quality re: the 3 3/4" line. The five POA stuff is fine for kids, and keeps the price point down for parents, but collectors need and deserve nicely rendered 3 3/4" figures, with quality vehicles and ships to match.

Basically anything not 6" black series or vintage.

*sigh* Mine is currently packed away. I've been debating on whether or not to buy a new house for over a year now, and I just can't see the wisdom of starting on my new collecting room until I make my move.

I'm gonna hit Wally World and maybe Target to see if they put out any non-TLJ 6" black series figures. The last couple of years they've had pallets w/bs on them that also had figures from previous waves mixed in. I'm hoping to snag me a Lando, Tusken Raider and Royal Guard. I also want a TLJ Luke.

Nothing major. I've lost on a few items on eBay here there, either by under-bidding or chewing on a buy it now for too long and having someone else snag it. That happened w/a Kenner The Force Darth Vader lightsaber a few months back.

W/the 6" black series, absolutely quality control re: the paint apps. The sculpt details are there, but they're wasted when the paint apps aren't up to the level of the sculpt.

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yeah he was like $4.99 and I got I think 25% off on him. I had thought he was a Hasbro version and said 'meh I can pick him up for 3.50....boy am I glad that I did :)

I love the vintage lunchboxes, $35 was a steal even 15 years ago. Good luck finding the other one!

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  7. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I like collecting POPs. I don't have a huge collection probably 15 or so. I've also really got into collecting Star Wars Tervis's and Stance socks. Weirdly I like practical Star Wars stuff. The stuff that Thinkgeek has for household items are some of my favorite things, pint glasses, magnets, towels, etc. I've got a few of the Smuggler Bounty boxes too.

Quality and practicality lol.

If it's too expensive.

The Han Solo track jacket that Thinkgeek did last year is really great.

I would really like to get a Lando POP but those are pretty damn expensive.

Not really into any of the action figures.

I do have my POPs in a bookcase.

Yeah, I plan to go to Target to see what POPs I can pick up. Genius me went last year for the RO Force Friday. I get there at 11PM and am waiting in my car, I see no one else, then see the employees leave. Didn't realize Toys R' Us was the only one doing anything. Should probably make sure of that this year.

Some more clothes outside of t-shirts. I'd like to see more sweatshirts or other non-tshirts.

8. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014

I'm a big funko collector. That's mostly what I collect. I also LOVE the sideshow/hot toys stuff, but due to price I don't buy copious amount of figures from them. Around 2-3 a year at max. I occasionally will pick up some hasbro figures.

For funko's it's usually the character and pose. I've passed on a lot of older Funkos due to my general dislike of early funko design work.

Poor paint is an immediate dislike. It's the reason I stopped collecting TBS for the most part. So many poorly painted figures.

Hm, I got the hot toys Han from TFA for a GREAT price with my tax returns.

Hot toys bespin Luke. Also Funko Qui-Gon

Pint Size Heroes for Star Wars from Funko. I love those little things and I think there's a huge amount of potential from them!

The 5 PoA stuff from hasbro. Just not interested.

Some of it's on a shelf above my tv. Other bits are boxed up. I'd love to have an entire room for it!

Likely no. I'm in between jobs at the moment. I'll likely have something before FF, but naturally food comes first. I'm hoping for a TLJ Rey/Luke Hot toy announcement though.

I canceled my order for Resistance Rey hot toy. Wish I had gotten that.

I'd work on the Funko line. They've been doing some questionable decisions. We get two Death Star droids in wide release, but Bodhi is a convention exclusive? Mace is a walgreens exclusive? Qui-Gon is a limited number con exclusive? Come on now.

9. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    I really like the 6 inch Black Series Line and the Funko Pops. I also have a smattering of 3.75" figures across various eras. My main goal is to collect figres of the Female Characters, regardless of the Line.

Is it a girl? Do I have her in my collection yet? Is she readily available at retail

If the figure has been sexualized needlessly then it doesn't get a purchase from me. This means no crop top Padme, no Huttslayer.
    Also if its an american exclusive with completely ridiculous shipping. Happens more often than you think.

I found Resistance Rey from an American Seller for less than what I would've payed had Hasbro bothered to distribute it in Canada. I've never seen it at retail.
    Being able to find a Padme paper Doll book that I had once owned as a kid on Ebay was pretty sweet as well.
    But I have to say scoring a 6" Leia in her Bespin Jumpsuit look that predates the Black Series was the ultimate. I believe its from the early 00s. It fits in beautifully with the black series figures AND it has its own dynamic posing

At the moment, Hot Toy's Hoth Leia. I feel like I'd need to move to an enclosed case for it, plus the price just makes me cringe. BUT IT LOOKS SO GOOD.

Pre Posed Static figures in the 40-50 dollar range. Something that could justify a really good paint app for the face. I'm just tired of having to figure out how to balance the figures so they aren't constantly falling.

Those hot wheels character cars. Wat.

I currently have a Collecting Shelf, with my bookshelf taking over anything that doesn't quite fit. I can make a lot of things fit though. I think some things are gonna have to go to storage to make room for TLJ.

Yes! I'm hoping to pick up the Ladies in the 3.75" Line, Rey, Rose, and a Porg from the Funko Line, Leia and Hera in the black series line, depending on how they look, and Whoever has the cutest stuffed Porg, will have my money.
    Hoping for some good tees from the Disney store and a cute dress from Her Universe.

Not yet. I do regret how much money I spent on shipping in from the Disney store for the Rey Elite series, only for her to be CONSTANTLY falling over and becoming useless to display.

Good Paint Apps should be a priority for all human figures. The ANH Leia and Jedi Training Rey are awful and I hate that I have to wait for you guys to get it together.

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hot Toys figures are WORTH EVERY PENNY. I can't emphasize this enough. They are the Rolls Royce of 12" figures and the quality is unmatched. I know money is tight for you, but seriously I'll sacrifice buying little stuff to get my Hot Toys figures. I just love my ANH Leia and Jakku Rey figures. I'm so excited to get my two Jyn figures. At least if you pre-order you can usually make 3-4 payments on the Hot Toys figures. It's a lot easier to budget that way.

Yes more items that are quality made for $40-50 would be nice. Or even less than that. I liked the Unleashed series, making a new line that was 7-8" and nicely posed statue/figures like them would be awesome.

Those freaking Elite series figures - their stands are completely useless. I bought some Kaiser 3-6" stands for them because they are impossible to display. I also use them for some of my Black series figures.

11. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    I'm using the Elite Series stand to keep my Ahsoka figure standing, but it still only gives me a week before i need to reset it again. I think I may look for those stands you recommended later today

12. jarjarbinksthegungan

jarjarbinksthegungan Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2017

I collect many different Star Wars things, but I mainly focus on the prequels. I buy anything Jar Jar Binks.

Probably if it's Jar Jar, I need it right away.

If it's too expensive, I don't want to buy it.

It has to be the Episode I 12 inch Jar Jar Binks figure I have still in the box that I paid $30 Canadian for.

Probably the Jar Jar wake-up system.

I'd want to see more prequel stuff!

There really isn't anything I don't think I'd collect.

I display my collection on the top of my bookshelves.

I always go out shopping on Force Friday. I look forward to getting the new figures.

I only wish I started collecting sooner.

I'd make more prequel characters in the Black Series line.

13. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I think my ultimate quirk is I'll invest in a line outside of the Black Series/Hasbro figures if all eras of SW are represented. I was not into collecting Funkos at first since they were mainly OT, but when they introduced more PT characters, and when they released Rebels characters, that's when I started collecting.

14. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I collect a wide variety of memorabilia except Lego. ( I decided not to years ago to focus on rare items).

I love collecting rare items from around the world and the priority will depend on the money that I have available to spend at the time)

Not a fan of certain characters from a collecting perspective ( human characters other than Clone troopers and Boba Fett )

Some original cast and crew items that I got in Germany during an auction in 2004

And I won a Yoda prop,

Life size Boba Fett

Star Wars unleashed line or a line similar to it.

Lego and those hot wheels character cars lol. I made a decision 20 years ago not to collect Lego due to space

80% of my collection is on display but most of the items that I have bought in the last 15 years are still in boxes due to

display/space issues. I would like to have a second room to display mu collection in but I am not holding my breath lol

9) What did you buy on Force Friday? What sorts of things are you looking forward to?

The newest Sphero droids and my wife wants Porg J

Should have bought the life size Boba Fett back in 2010

I would like to see more black series figures and ships

15. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    1) What are your favorite Star Wars things to collect? (Specific toy lines, vintage, figure sizes, statues, is your collection character-specific? Etc.) All print-books and comics. Vintage figures with a bend toward luke/han and the ESB micro battle sets

2) What sorts of triggers for an item will jump it to the top of your priority list to buy it? (Price-point, uniqueness, rareness, quality, etc.) limited releases/exclusives and characters that are not major players

3) Conversely, what triggers immediately turn you off from acquiring something? Re-releases

4) What's your greatest find/steal/deal to date? Carded/graded ROTJ luke with coin. Hoth micro playset, MIB that had the kenner catalog with the Revenge of the Jedi branding still on it. Picked up at Celebration.

5) What's your Holy Grail (Item that's unobtainable for you at this time for whatever reason) but on your ultimate dream list to own? Vintage X-wing

6) If you had a say in a new merchandising line to come into being, what would you want to see? Would love to see the Metallic series style larger scale ships make a return

7) What lines do you have zero interest in collecting, and why? Disney die-cast figures

8) How do you display your collection? If it's currently packed away, how would you display it if you could? / How would your dream display look? Packed away because I work overseas. I imagine a room with lighted shelves and cabinets lined with the theatrical posters.

9) Will you be out buying on Force Friday? What sorts of things are you looking forward to? My wife and son went for me, scored some cool blackseries figures and some of the characters from TLJ

10) Any big regrets on things you didn't pick up, gave away, or lost? Everything I didn't keep as a kid

11) Finally, if you had say in a CURRENT merchandising line and had a say in making improvements/changes to it, what would your suggestions be? I would like to see a broader range of collective lightsabers.

16. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017

Six-inch Black Series figures, Kotobukiya Artfx+ statues and Bandai model kits. I'm sorely tempted to start buying Figuarts as well.

I'm mostly drawn by the character depicted. I'm also partial to a store exclusive edition.

3) Conversely, what triggersimmediately turn you off from acquiring something?

I don't mind paying more for something a bit rare or special, but I never buy from scalpers.

I don't have anything particularly rare, but I was very happy to get my hands on a Black Series Bossk.

Black Series IG-88.

I'd like to see something that focuses on EU or new canon characters. Something similar to the Comic Packs.

I'm open to anything that can spark my interest.

Packed away at the moment. I like to display my collection in my study. I give them a shelf in my bookcase, beside my Star Wars novels and comics.

I've never done Force Friday. Maybe next year.

Artfx+ Darth Maul, Black Series IG-88 and Revan.

I would like to see Kotobukiya hold fan's choice poles in the same way that Hasbro do.

17. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012

The 6” black series. They’re fantastic. I’d love to be able to collect mor statues, but a lot of them are so expensive.

It all depends on the character. E.g. If a series had Kit Fisto and Bib Fortuna, I’d buy Kit instantly but would buy Bib whenever.

3) Conversely, what triggersimmediately turn you off from acquiring something?

Damaged boxes. I’m lucky that I have the luxury to buy some figures straight from the supplier, but I often have to buy them in the store. There’s nothing more annoying than finding a figure you’ve been looking for, only for it to have a damaged box.

Getting lots of the 6” black series for half price is great. I can’t say I’ve found anything rare.

5) What's your Holy Grail (Item that's unobtainable for you at this time for whatever reason) but on your ultimatedream list to own?

The Kotobukiya bounty hunter statue series. I’ve only got Bossk for now, but he’s my favourite anyway.

[​IMG]

6) If you had a say in a newmerchandising line to come into being, what would you want to see?

Something similar to the DC Comics icons statue series. I’d love to collect more Star Wars statues, and I think this would be a great opportunity to do it. You could have a big range of characters. The icons series is also very high quality, yet affordable.

I’m not sure. I’d love to collect a lot of lines if I could.

I have my favourite things displayed on cabinates around my room, while other things are in my cupboard or in boxes elsewhere. My room is very small. Hopefully I’ll have a bigger room soon so I can display a lot more. Just wait until I get my own house. There’ll be things everywhere. My dream is to have a seperate room in my own house to display most of them.

I don’t think so. I just buy things when I feel like it, or when they get released.

Not that I remember. I definitely haven’t gotten rid of anything I regret. I’ve kept all my Star Wars collectibles.

With the black series, specifically the 6” line, I’d like a bigger range of characters from across all eras. For example, there isn’t a lot of prequel characters that’ve been used. If Kit Fisto, General Grievous, Aayla Secura, Shaak Ti, Mace Windu and Plo Koon, etc. were made, they’d have my money instantly. Some characters from The Clone Wars series would also be great.

18. Instant Force Talk

Instant Force Talk Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2017
    Right now, I am not too sure. I ended up doing a collection-based overhaul, and reduced it to my (currently) lone 'MOMC' figure (see below), the 'limited edition' import blu-ray I convinced myself to order, the bonus poster that came with it, and the first of my TRPG collection. But if I had to be choose, I think I do like collecting anything that has me feel that it defines my share of any fandom. Which is my way of saying that I am still working towards a definite answer. :D

It is a combination of price-point and if it looks like something I do want. This, of course, does not entirely work for me because my luck has not always been on my side since the day I returned to the fandom.

Overall condition quality, regardless of the scenario. Two items have become gifts, one went from being an AFA potential to being a loose display piece, and some vintage items were put on the "do not buy" list because I do not know if they would last under my care.

My 2010 mail order Rocket-Firing Boba Fett from The Vintage Collection. I purchased it on January 1, 2018, and the eBay sale included both the inner and outer shipping boxes. A sale for the inner shipping box sold for $1, plus $14 for shipping and handling. So if I put the change towards the value of the inner shipping box, and treat the outer shipping box as part of the shipping fee... The price I paid will make it hard for me to beat. :boba:

EASY! And it is a tie:

- Boba Fett, 1979 '21A-Back' with an overall grade of 8.5/85 or better. (AFA graded with Archival upgrade preferred.)
    - Boba Fett, 1979 'Canadian 20-Back' with an overall grade of 8.5/85 or better. (AFA graded with Archival upgrade preferred.)

Both would compliment my figure, and have this part of my collection feel like a complete "trilogy".

Online store exclusive "modern vintage remakes" of classic Star Wars characters that never made it to the 1978-1985 line, regardless of popularity.

As of right now... Anything that does not give me the overall feel that I got when I was collecting Star Wars figures from 1981/1982-1985.

This is a hard question for me to answer.

I have been rebuilding my quote-in-quote "dream display' collection since December, 2012. The first and third tries were the same franchise, and both ended in similar manners. The second try were not Star Wars, and that ended with me being burnt out. And I found success on my fourth try. But none of that is tied to Star Wars, which is going to become my centerpiece collection. And I also started to rebuild my Star Wars collection since December, 2017.

So if I get my "dream office" after I feel my Star Wars collection is complete enough to move onto anything else... I know the media portion will be mixed in with non-Star Wars content. But I also hope to have enough shelf space to display any graded 'Vintage Collection' figures I choose to own, with my artwork being on the opposite wall. But first, I need to know what type of layout I will be working with and how much lighting I have to deal with. Hence why it is a hard question for me to answer.

I skipped the 2017 Force Friday because I did not know if The Last Jedi was going to be another The Empire Strikes Back or another Attack of the Clones. And I might do the same if Hasbro decides to not expand their 'Vintage Collection' to include modern remakes of things I have liked in the past.

I think so. It was the original rubber Yoda hand puppet. It was given away, but I also do not know if I would keep it these days. Plus I am also mixed on how I feel when it comes to not collecting The Empire Strikes Back carded portion of both The Original Trilogy and The Vintage Trilogy figures. Because in the end, it is more about how they carded the modern variants of these figures more than the figures themselves.

Technically The Vintage Collection is once again current. And what I would do is draw on the success of the 2010's Rocket-Firing Boba Fett, and create an online store exclusive Vintage Collection line that continues where Kenner's 1985 line left off. This way if can have new vintage style carding, finally give fans figures based on Grand Moff Tarkin, and also allow people to have options if they do not like including modern figures.

19. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    Any type of item of female characters, mainly Padme, Leia, but also now Rey and Jyn. occasionally I find a nice Luke, Anakin, or Vader for a great price and I will pick that up.

I want what pulls at my mind and heart, some things I see and just know I must have them, as far as Padme goes I am a completest and I will forever be on the lookout for something of Padme that I don't have.

scalping prices. I don't like to give scalpers business.

gentle giant AOTC Padme minibust for $25

Robert Tonner Queen Amidala and her trunk of clothes. I tried my heart out to convince my husband to let me buy it in 1999 and he would not give in. I occasionally see her on EBAY, last one there I saw kept getting relisted and then finally I guess someone bought it because I quit seeing it. I wasn't going to pay their asking price, especially when she had a broken hand. I continue to search for her though.

female characters with clothing line, no molded clothes on the doll, start small with just one or two dolls and then build on that. commercials that show girls playing with Leia and Sabine on a toy ship, or in a docking bay or whatever, just show girls having fun with the dolls and I know they will sell.

Legos, I have never enjoyed any legos.

Dark bookcases with glass fronts, on both sides of entertainment center and then entertainment center with more collectibles on shelves. I'm working on it as we type.

I never miss a release day/night. Normally hit up TRU first, however one of our TRU stores in Tucson is shutting down, so the bankruptcy reaches its arm out.

In 1977 I got four posters of ANH from Burger Chef. they hung on my wall till 1985 and a guy friend of mine asked if I would be willing to sell them to him and I gave them to him. I so wish I had not done that. On a good note he still has them to this day and they are in excellent condition. He has taken care of them probably better than I ever could have.

Get rid of molded clothing on FOD line and bring out a clothing line to go with them, then build on that and give them vehicles and secret bases, death stars and all that!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  20. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015

3 3/4" figures, mainly.
    My modest collection contains favorite characters from every era of SW film. Anything from Shaak-Ti to Captain Piett to Kylo Ren. It is fairly diverse in content, although I like Sith/darksiders and bounty hunters most. I do try to acquire Luke, Leia, and Padmé figures if possible.

I also collect EU/Legends novels and comics and various other SW books like Visual Dictionary and the New Essential Guides.

Price point and condition are important. I don't collect Funko, but I bought Captain Cassian and Jyn Erso Wobblers yesterday because they were new, in box for 2.50 apiece. Plus, I had no Rogue One merch and that is one of my favorite movies. I actually think these two Bobbleheads are pretty cute; hopefully I haven't just started a new collecting craze lol!

Exorbitant pricing or bad condition of item.

Probably finding Silver Anniversary figurines new, in box for 5 dollars apiece. Swing To Freedom (Leia and Luke), Death Star Escape (Han and Chewie) and Final Duel (Kenobi and Vader).

Nothing really. I would like to collect every Zam Wesell figure available though. I currently have only one 3 3/4" figure. The AOTC Sneak Preview figure.

I'm not really sure...

Legos. I've never been interested in those and they are expensive as well.

Some out of box figures are displayed in front of books on a book shelf and most in box figures are stored for now. Probably buying a nice glass display case would be the ideal way to display them, but I'm not sure.
    How do people usually display 3 3/4" figures still in box?

I've never gone out shopping on Force Friday.

Lost an original vintage X-Wing toy as well as vintage Yoda figure, Luke Skywalker figure and Kenobi figure.

More Ahsoka figures would be cool as would bringing her back in the Rebels show. Selfishly, I'd like a rerelease of a Zam Wesell figure or a new one, although I doubt that would happen. I'd buy a Bazine Netal figure too.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Since things are kind of slow on the boards - I figured I'd resurrect this for some of our newer collectors so we can learn more about you :)

22. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    1. What are your favorite Star Wars things to collect (specific toy lines, vintage, figure sizes, statues, is your collection character specific? Etc).

I buy various SW stuff like books, comics, figures, posters, etc, but the main two for collecting purposes would be figures and theatrical movie posters. Mostly character specific like Maul (he's definitely my main focus), but i get others as well. Mostly dark side, but I've got some jedi too, not that much though. Don't really have a preference for specific lines. If it looks good and I like it, i'll snag it. Just recently got into Sideshow/Hot Toys so that's gonna be interesting. Lol! For movie posters, I focus on the theatrical 27 x 40 type, including advanced and teaser posters.

2. What sort of triggers for an item will jump it to the top of your priority list to buy it? (Price-point, uniqueness, quality, etc.)

I guess all of those things. But, if i really want something, I'm not too concerned about the price. I'll just push other things back if i know i can get them anytime.

3. Conversely, what triggers immediately turn you off from acquiring something?

Quality and condition. If it looks cheap, why would I want to buy it? I also am kind of anal about packaging. I don't like creases and bent packaging, but if I know I'm gonna open it, packaging is less of a concern, but I still like the box or card to look good.

4. What's your greatest find/steal/deal to date?

Don't know that I have a greatest. I know two guys that work at the comicbook store I go to and I've gotten some free stuff from them before. It's how I got my first Ray Park autograph. Free is always good. I did find a Lucasfilm hat (black with the logo in red, sith colors baby!) and that still had the tag on it for $2.50.

5. What's your Holy Grail (item that's unobtainable for you at this timefor whatever reason) but on your ultimate dream list to own?

A life size Maul. I know Pepsi did some for promotional reasons for TPM. But also if Sideshow did a life size Maul, I'd do what I need to to get that for sure.

6. If you had a say in a new merchandising line to come into being, what would you want to see?

Hmm, that's a good question. Whatever it is, definitely more Maul!

7. What lines do you have zero interest in collecting, and why?

Probably the plush or super kiddie stuff. I'm not young and I don't have kids so...

8. How do you display your collection? If it's currently packed away, how would you display it if you could? How would your dream display look?

Most of it's packed up, been thinking about moving and also don't really have the space to do it right, right now. I would probably have a room or a man cave type of thing where I would properly display stuff. Glass cases, lighted, the whole nine yards.

9. Will you be out on Force Friday? What sorts of things are you looking forward to?

Don't know. I went out when TFA came out and all I saw was a huge hole where everything was suppose to be. I'm not getting up at midnight to fight people over figures. I'm curious to see what type of things come out for The Mandalorian, and if they do anything from the up coming last season of Clone Wars. I'll just wait and see what gets released and then decide.

10. Any big regrets on things you didn't pick up, gave away, lost?

Yup to all three. Too many to mention. But if you're patient you'll get what you want. I'm not worried about any of it.

11. Finally, if you had a say in a CURRENT merchandising line and had a say in making improvements/changes to it, what would your suggestions be?

Maybe for the Hasbro six inch black series. When are we gonna get more Maul's? They've only done one. How many Luke's, Vader's and Kylo Ren's do their need to be? Just sayin!

whostheBossk and PadmeLeiaJaina like this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Generally Funko Pop and Black Series; although I'm extremely picky even among those lines. My largest SW-related collectible is the Jaina Solo Bishoujo statue.

Well obviously if there's a new collectible out featuring a certain female Togrutan that would automatically be placed on my radar.

Price. I kick myself for not buying the Mara Jade Bishoujo statue at the same time I bought the Jaina Solo one; while both were at retail for under $100. Now they're rare and well over $200.

Jaina Solo Bishoujo (see above)
    [​IMG]

For now it's the Mara Jade Bishoujo
    [​IMG]

More SW related Bishoujo statues. Kotobukiya apparently discontinued the Bishoujo/ArtFX line after Mara Jade.

I can't think of any at the moment; but as you may already have figured out, I prefer collecting only the female SW characters from any particular line.

I'm ashamed to say I don't really have any special display; they're all in various corners around my bedroom and on my dresser.

I'd have to see what's coming out and if it'd show up on my radar.

See my statement earlier about Mara Jade [face_sigh]

More Ahsoka statues!

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I have the Jaina and also didn't get Mara Jade. They should've done a Leia statue to keep the line going and not only focus on EU characters.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  25. MY Millennium Falcon

MY Millennium Falcon Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2019
    I have an affinity for the SW spacecraft models, even if the majority are the palm-sizes ones made by Hot Wheels, Tomica, and Hasbro... But considering their minute dimensions, these models look almost 100% identical to their movie versions - sadly, the same cannot be said for figurines!

For me, it would be price since stuff can be kinda expensive in Malaysia - which is why I haven’t been able to buy any lightsabers yet, due to heavy cost (the one thing missing from my collection)...

Like mentioned above, I don’t always collect figurines due to issues with realism... :)

4) What's your greatest find / steal / deal to date?
    Hmmm, it has to be the beautiful Death Star trinket box by Royal Selangor - looks almost exactly like the real thing, with the big weapon and various trenches, made out of quality pewter!
    (Even if it cost me MYR390.00 or USD93.21)

It has to be one of these few items:
    - A full-grade lightsaber of any color
    - Royal Selangor Millennium Falcon in silver color
    - LEGO Millennium Falcon (the “big” one)

Perhaps more realistic figurines?

As of now, I don’t really go for those admittedly interesting SW books - mainly due to lack of time to actually read such novels and stuff, thanks to work and family life! :lol:

As I live in a not-too-big condo, I have pretty much split my stuff into four areas:
    - Aforementioned condo (SW clothes are kept here obviously, as well as a couple of figurines and some spaceship and land vehicles)
    - My car dashboard (ten spaceship models including my “flagship” Hot Wheels Millennium Falcon from 2015, she who started it all)
    - My workstation (another 15-16 on display, always catches the eye of visitors to the office, lol)
    - Parents’ place (they live in a large bungalow, and I have the majority of my figurines kept here)

I work Fridays, so I usually end up skipping the Force Friday event - which isn’t such a big thing in Malaysia, unfortunately...

This was from way back in 1999, when TPM was HUGE due to it being the first SW movie released since ROTJ - I had the Millennium Falcon and Death Star 1 in Revell buildable model form and they were proudly displayed in a cabinet until one unfortunate day when I dropped both, when wanting to do some cleaning...

And couldn’t fix them back! :( )

I have no major complaints actually, even if I really hope that LEGO becomes more affordable in Malaysia - the quality of the sets is wonderful but due to price, many people end up buying those Chinese clones instead (Lepin is the most familiar name)...