main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT I think The Phantom Menace is better than Attack Of The Clones

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MisterJedi2002, Aug 19, 2017.

1. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    Someone else thinks this?

2. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    From what I've observed, the majority of people think this.

eko32eko7 and Erkan12 like this.
  3. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Yep, agree. I like AOTC too but TPM is a much more enjoyable, light-hearted, cohesive experience.

4. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Same, not to downplay AotC, but to me TPM is just more charming.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  5. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Isn't that the consensus? Minus Jar Jar TPM is actually a pretty solid adventure story, although I'd wish it had been a Hobbit like animated prequel, more like an Epi 0 so we would have gotten 3 more actual prequel films with teen/adult Anakin.

eko32eko7, Cabbage Knight and ZodaEX like this.
  6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    yeah , the general consensus has been this for a good while I think .

but I much prefer AOTC .

Darkside Lightside likes this.
  7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes and they are both better than the OT or the new Disney movies.

8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    TPM and AOTC are my top two films in that order.

Though I don't really see the point of this thread. I also like ROTS more than ESB, but we don't neee a thread for that.

Huttese 101 and ezekiel22x like this.
  9. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    I agree about this too. I think TPM is the visually most appealing prequel, has the most consistent dialogue and acting, and while it's obviously geared more towards the younger kids, it's overall a pretty solid adventure story, and like ANH it can sort of stand on it's own. AOTC has too many loose threads for me, that were never addressed in ROTS. I also don't really like the "digital" look of the film, and the (to me at least) unconvincing love story at the centre of it, puts it at the bottom of my Star Wars ranking.

10. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    I find AOTC the best SW movie. It's the most ambitious chapter of the saga, it has great characters, superb visuals and, the most important of all, an amazing story. TPM is, along with AOTC, the least flawed movie of the saga, it's also very ambitious with great story and characters, but a movie can be great and still not as good as other movies.
    But if we're debating which movie takes nr. 1 and which nr. 2 in one's quality list of the saga, then we have no problem here. [face_coffee]

11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I agree that TPM has a really unique charm, but Clones is my favorite Star Wars movie, mainly because I think it's the most character driven of them all. It's definitely the most lived-in as far as portraying a universe where I feel the characters actually exist in a day to day manner, and as a result my emotional response to the action is even more heightened. And I love the look of Clones as well. Plenty there fits in with the "real desert" mode of world-building, but other locations capture a fantastic and/or alien atmosphere that I think is just as essential for creating great Star Wars.

So yeah, I think Clones is better, but given that it's my overall favorite I don't meant to slight Menace.

12. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I don‘t think so as AOTC would be always my favorite SW movie but either I see the point of this thread. Why the poster made it: to confirm the internet legend that AOTC sucks even more than TPM (nonsense in both cases) or to confirm that TPM is better than most people think? In my opinion, this topic need some aclaration or simply a poll (if we would only declare which of the movies we like more).

Deliveranze likes this.
  13. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Personally I'm a OT fan. But if I had to rank the PT TPM would be dead last. AOTC was decent, but I have to say ROTS would be my top of the PT.

wobbits likes this.
  14. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    Moi. I think it's better than all the other SW movies except ESB.

15. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Very much so. While Jar-Jar and some other stuff aren't that great, the visuals and effects in the TPM are amazing. Almost 20 years later they still hold up very well. Plus they didn't film basically the entire movie on a green screen.

16. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    They are both Great in different ways !

17. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I see Attack of the Clones as the Empire Strikes Back to The Phantom Menace's A New hope.
    Regardless of quality and critical reception, both trilogy openings are relatively light hearted and a self contained adventure that leaves room to expand the universe.
    The next installment in both trilogies takes a darker tone (though AOTC is the darkest of all four in my opinion, but not my favorite), and expands the universe. The stakes are raised in AOTC the way they were in TESB, and the main characters are put in a bit more danger.

Like ANH and TESB, Episodes I and II are different in tone, and there are advantages and disadvantages to both lighter and darker episodes.

18. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    There isn't much to discuss here. They're both good movies. It's not like one was panned and one was critically acclaimed. Personal preference plays a big part here.

19. realjim949

realjim949 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 22, 2017
    I’ll admit that I do prefer Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002), largely because the tone and narrative have become more mature. Unlike its predecessor, SW 2002 doesn’t evidence the split personality caused by interweaving a complex tale of shadowy corruption with overt pandering to the 7-year-olds in the audience.

20. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    Depends on my mood really.

cxcfffxx likes this.
  21. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    I think AOTC suffers from bad editing choices. I've said for a while that if the Naberrie family scenes had been left in, it would have helped the Anakin/Padmé romance, and balanced out the eye-rolling romantic dialogue.

22. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

It also would have wrecked the pacing, though.

oierem and darkspine10 like this.
  23. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I agree. The Phantom Menace is my personal favorite PT film. It's seems like GL had more fun making Ep1, he put more effort in it. The story is great too, original. On the other hand, AOTC feels so... forced. The acting is not right, the plot shares too much similiarities with Ep5 (ring theory is bull****) and the cgi... oh Lord, the CGI is terrible.

So, The Phantom Menace is not a perfect movie but I like it. I think I always like the first movie of a trilogy more than the others.

ShaneP likes this.
  24. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I think I still slightly prefer AOTC to TPM, though I have more fond memories of the times leading up to TPM and all the hype around it. I think Jake Lloyd and Jar Jar are always going to make TPM my least favorite, though it's still a movie I very much enjoy.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

I agree. TPM is actually my favorite PT film. I like it because it does try to go in a different direction from the OT. Lucas made some bold choices. In retrospect, it worked for the film that was the furthest away from the OT.

Subtext Mining likes this.