main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Music of Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Christopher Blair, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Well, I'm not sure why JW composed a new Imperial March for ESB when the Imperial fanfare from ANH was available... but I'm glad he did.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  2. richardfromnyc

richardfromnyc Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2017
    Agree.. Imperial Suite is great piece of music. Someone on Youtube synced Imperial Suite with ESB, and it works so well.

3. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Seems pretty obvious the Imperial March was created because the imperial fanfare wasn't suitable for a full concert arrangement. ESB focused on imperial dominance, so having a new theme that was more involved made sense. By contrast, the suite just seems excessive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I really like how they used Vaders motif from the original film in RO too, which you can hear when hes in the bacta tank.

5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I can't believe (after I have seen the film about 20 times) that the piece of music I first hated I now like the most [face_dunno] The Jedha music! It felt soooo out of place the first time I watched the film...now it feels soooo right!

Darth Dnej and Gigoran Monk like this.
  6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    It's way metal. I loved it immediately.

7. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    It's my favorite music in the score. Perfect.

B99 likes this.
  8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Your Father Would Be Proud FTW!

9. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    That's my favorite too. :)

Blue 5 and B99 like this.
  10. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    The Main Theme is still one of my favorite Star Wars themes...

11. richardfromnyc

richardfromnyc Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2017
    I really hope that MG is aware that many Star War fans are truly appreciating his work on the Rogue One Soundtrack by reading threads and forums like this one. I can only imagine he must have been a bit heartbroken with the initial criticism of the Rogue One Soundtrack for him committing the ultimate 'sin' of not being John Williams or the soundtrack not doing enough original SW and ESB theme callbacks. He went for the greater challenge of creating an original soundtrack for Rogue One, and not just lazily re-hashing old JW music, and I think he has triumphed with a masterpiece soundtrack in the end.

12. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Well, I'm one of those who dismissed the music the first time I watched the film, but will happily eat crow and say the soundtrack is now one of my all-time favorites, nestled between the first Star Wars and Ennio Morricone's The Mission. My current favorite is "The Jyn Erso and Hope Suite", which takes you on an aural tour of the life of the heroine, evoking melancholia first, then determination, then finally triumph. The composer inserts an interlude at 3:17 that recalls a passage in the novel detailing the heroine's final moments: "Then the walls turned to dust and there was no longer a cave but only her spirit and heart and everything she had ever been: the daughter of Galen and Lyra and Saw, the angry fighter and the shattered prisoner and the champion and the friend. Soon all those things, too, burned away, and Jyn Erso — finally at peace — became one with the Force."

13. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It also crops up a few times in the scene following, and in fact appears during the first Death Star scene earlier on; there's a hint of it when Tarkin refers to a "less patient host" to Krennic.

AndyLGR likes this.
  14. Kladdagh

Kladdagh Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 9, 2017
    Michael Giacchino is a great composer ... His music works perfectly with the movie ...

Blue 5, Darth Dnej and mirrorbright like this.
  15. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
    This is incredible. ^:)^

16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Best track on the album for me. Just amazing. It’s an all time great up there with Binary Sunset.

17. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I feel like this movies soundtrack was unfairly criticised for not being John williams. Many of the themes felt right at home in star wars. Half the time i really couldn't tell it wasn't johns work. The standout tracks for me were while Jyn watched the hologram message from her father. Stardust i think it's called. Then the one Where the two destroyers collide into eachother as well the infamous hallway scene. I think even John Campea said the soundtrack stank. I'm like what!?8-}

Seriously rogue one's score made me feel a little less worried about star wars scores when it eventually has to be done by somebody else.

cwustudent, sethg and Darth Dnej like this.
  18. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I honestly think I like Michael Giacchino's score for Rogue One better than John Williams' score for TFA and TLJ (though TLJ is still too new to really be judged fairly by me yet).
    The themes presented in the film (Jyn Erso's Theme, Rogue One Main Theme, The Imperial Suite, etc.) are all pretty top notch.
    Some of my favorite tracks are: When Has Become Now, Scrambling the Fleet (around the end of the track when it mixes Jyn's Theme, The Force Theme, and the Star Wars Main Theme is pretty much perfection), Your Father Would Be Proud, Hope
    Hopefully one day we'll get a complete score of the Disney Star Wars films. I know the prequels got complete scores released, but I think they have long been out of print.

Roger Goldleader likes this.
  19. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    None of the PT got full releases. TPM got an 'ultimate' edition, featuring the full film-edit of the score, but was missing lots of unused stuff, and full un-edited compositions.

cwustudent and Darth Dnej like this.
  20. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    shout out to guardians of the whills

cwustudent likes this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I had the same realization. It was incredibly comforting.

Darth__Lobot, cwustudent and sethg like this.
  22. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I wish the entire end credits suite were on the OST because it's among my favorite of the whole saga.

23. Ren Kylo

Dec 23, 2015
    i wish all of the tracks had been released. i love the piece that plays when we first see jedha as bodhi is taken to meet saw but i can't find it anywhere :(

24. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014

cwustudent and Ren Kylo like this.
  25. Ren Kylo

Dec 23, 2015
    oop i guess i wasn't looking hard enough lol. thanks :D

0:48 playing over the shot of the fallen statue is just mesmerizing.