main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Sith-I-5 Thanks [face_blush] I'm not familiar with all the fandoms here, I hope I didn't mess things up. Feel free to flag any mistakes!

2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_dancing]=D=[:D] Chyntuck - I know that a day dedicated to your saintliness for your mad indexing skills has already been mentioned over on the SW side of things, but I want you to know that I second and third that idea here. Thank-you so, so much for your hard work and effort! The Index is so . . . shiny . . . and organized. I just love staring at it and seeing a bunch of old familiars listed - and a few new ones I think that I need to check out, myself. [face_thinking]

Chyntuck, pronker and Tarsier like this.
  3. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Mira_Jade Thanks! I'm looking forward to my beatification O:) :p and I hope that, in the meantime, this brings more traffic to this area of the boards. NSWFF doesn't get the love it deserves!

Mira_Jade and pronker like this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    The index looks great! :)

Mira_Jade - I hope this is a good place to ask, but how would I tag something from a very peculiar fandom? I have a plot bunny that is sort of a sequel to Wings of Desire and Faraway, So Close! I didn't see one single fanfic on the internet about it.

pronker and Mira_Jade like this.
  5. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Hello, Ewok Poet. First off, I am so excited to hear that a NSWFF plot bunny has snared your muse! I can't wait to see what you post.

Then, I just looked those two movies up on Wikipedia - they seem fascinating, I've never even heard of them before! - and I didn't notice a name for them together. So, you can do just that in your header: [Wings of Desire/Faraway, So Close!] Or, if that feels too clunky to you, maybe [Wings of Desire Duology], or something like that? You could even tag it [Wim Wenders] - as I believe he is the primary writer? I've similarly tagged stories [Tolkien] before when they borrow from too many of the Professor's Middle-earth stories to list in my header.

In the end, whatever feels right to you, go with! :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you. :) Since I'm going with the diary of a minor character born in-between the events of two films, I guess I will go with [Faraway, So Close!] and state that it's an AU sequel type of a thing. And I'll post the first two entries in a bit.

pronker likes this.
  7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    It is a shame that we cannot talk anywhere, about stuff we are working on.

We have to keep that **** to ourselves until we can actually post the thing.

Tarsier and pronker like this.
  8. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Wine Aunt Samot over on tumblr said about the same thing: "that struggle between "keep your WIPs a secret so that the end product will be a surprise" and "I need a validation check this xxxx out right now"

So true! All I can think of is to say "because it takes the awesome surprise out of our tales." When you think of it, the people who would reply/comment to your story are a small, select few and if you blow your story's premise, the impetus is gone, gone, gone for anyone to actually comment when said fic is published. :/

There are drawbacks to being part of a world wide web. I guess we ought to be lucky for any comments at all. [face_good_luck]

Tarsier likes this.
  9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I meant that we are not allowed to, because it would be viewed as promoting.

10. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Gee, I didn't think of that - okay, point taken.

11. Mr Chyntuckopoulos

Mr Chyntuckopoulos Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2017
    Hullo Non-Star Wars writers and happy 2018!

Chyntuck and I have pulled a list of the stories posted in 2017 and we will be updating the index in the next few days. If you have any recommendations to reorganise it, please let us know by PM or tag Chyntuck, who is online far more often than me.

Mira_Jade , Tarsier and pronker like this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi there!!! Thanks for that, and if you ever want to post a story, either one of you over here, [face_party] [face_dancing] !!!!

13. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
  14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
  15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    You're most welcome, all of you! I'm glad the index is turning out to be so popular.

Okie-dokie, the 2017 update is done! @Mira_Jade, can you please update the thread title? We're up to 490 stories as of 31 December 2017.

A few changes in organisation and new fandoms (in case Mira wants to add these tags):

"DC Comics & Cinema" has become "DC Comics, Cinema and TV" and I moved Arrow under this category (I didn't realise it was part of the DCverse). Another new sub-fandom under this category is Young Justice (the TV series).

The "Dungeons and Dragons" fandom is now split in 3 sub-fandoms: Eberron, Neverwinter and Pathfinder.

New fandoms: Babylon 5 – Elder Scrolls – Faraway, So Close! – Son of a Gun – How I Met Your Mother – Voltron: Legendary Defender

I'll do a re-check in a few days to make sure that nothing was left out, but if anyone notices that a story is missing please PM me or @FanficIndex and I'll fix it asap.

Gamiel, Mira_Jade , pronker and 2 others like this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    If possible, make it Wings of Desire/Faraway, So Close! - one is the sequel of the other. Thanks. :)

pronker likes this.
  17. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Awesome! Thank you so much, again! Just from that alone I have a few tags I need to tinker with. :p [face_thinking]

I'll get that thread title updated right away! :)

Chyntuck and pronker like this.
  18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ah, that time again, potentially attracting the attentions of anti-terrorism forces, by researching Australian Defense Force, Royal Australian Navy, "Mordor" and other Aussie military slang.

I mean, how hard can it be to find the slang for "navy ratings"?

Answer: ****** hard.

I've found them for the Royal Australian Air Force newbies - "Bed Wetters".

I've found them for the Reservists - "Mangos". Green on the outside, yellow on the inside, and too many of them, can give you the *****.

Ah well, back to the grind stone...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Gamiel likes this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    There's some random transport company, with a single minivan, called "Mordor" a couple of corners away. Looks like that can truly mean anything. [face_rofl]

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Not exactly the kind of metaphor /association to inspire trust and cozy confidence. :p We're as fast as the Riders of Rohan would have been better. [face_laugh]

Sith-I-5 and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I once saw one with "Osmi putnik" written on it. That's our local name for the "Alien" franchise. So, yes, it gets worse! I laughed so much that I couldn't even reach for my pocket camera. [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

(Explanation: that literally translates as "the eighth passenger"...I guess somebody was oblivious to popular culture...)

22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    The Eighth Passenger? Just went to IMDB to look up how many crew on the Alien' ship, Nostromo. Quite interesting that a country would use that term for the film and eventual franchise.

For Aussie military, "Mordor" came up as slang for the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) headquarters in the city of Canberra; so I had to look further into that to see if the services I was using, Army / SAS, had their HQs there as well. It's a great title.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    It was sliiightly before my time, so I have no idea how it happened. But we did that with a couple of other films, e.g. "Notting Hill" was translated as "I believe in love".

24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Re-visited my Doctor Who WIP. I was thinking I was going to struggle to get 200 words down, but pasting tonight's effort onto Wordcounter.net, I see that I got 1,107!

[face_party]

Got one of my elephants [in the room] sorted, one left to go.

25. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Does anyone here watch The X-Files? I just watched the first two episodes of the most recent season and...I don't even know. Has it become a parody of itself? Is it still taking itself seriously? Has it intentionally become crack!fic, or does it think it still has a meaningful story to tell? I just can't tell. I seem to be experiencing some sort of train-wreck effect though - I didn't really want to watch this season (other people in the house did), I didn't like the episodes I saw, but now that I've started I kinda want to finish the season and I can't explain why.

pronker likes this.