main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Deleted/Missing Scenes Thread!

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Avnar, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Everyone was spoiled by the LOTR dvds. Still the gold standard for home video release.

2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I love my LOTR EEs. The difference here is that Edwards effectively got fired from the film and replaced by Tony Gilroy; he played along, however, and for that he was rewarded as the face of the film and treated with respect by LFL. It would be a betrayal to then officially suggest (even implicitly) that he was replaced and his original rough cut was unusable.

It's hard to say where things will be at in 15 years, but I doubt that the demand for these scenes will be there at that point. Even with fan demand, it still took 26 years before the Richard Donner cut of Superman II saw the light of day, and that was a public firing.

3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    That's the thing, though. I don't think there would need to be even a suggestion of that. The material could simply be labeled, and talked about, as alternative scenes that didn't make the cut as the movie shaped up. And something tells me that Edwards might like for some of that footage to be seen, if it's good. If it's terrible, then sure, keep it in a box.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Take Bodhi, for example, who apparently had a completely different backstory and introduction. They could very easily just frame these scenes as being an "early version". But as time marches on, not only is there less damage by releasing such scenes, there's also less reason to bother--it effectively the same situation as today.

5. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I suppose. Though if it can be done for little cost, it might be worth the bother for the not-insignificant number of fans who might pay for that content.

But you're probably right...this is mostly just me wanting to see that stuff!

EHT and Artoo-Dion like this.
  6. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I think many of us posting here would be fascinated. It's an unfortunate situation.

EHT, Avnar and Gigoran Monk like this.
  7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Do you know anything further about this?

8. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    http://ew.com/movies/2017/03/23/rogue-one-riz-ahmed-bokan-bodhi-rook/
    It seems the Bokan stuff may never have made it to the shooting script. But they do discuss how his final scenes were different.

Sarge and Krueger like this.
  9. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I much prefer to see (if possible) deleted scenes inserted into a film so we get another version of it. But by the sounds of it that just wouldn't be possible in the case of RO.

I think you're right. If in the original version they retrieved the plans by just entering the vault and pulling the tapes, they then run out of the building with the rest of the Imperials as the battle rages outside, (as per the scene in the trailer in the London tube), before running across the beach through the battle to then reach another transmitter is much more time consuming and arguably has less tension than the way they went in the finished film.

Thanks, whilst they cut the trailer shot of X Wing pilots as prisoners on Jedha that shot of the downed X-wing is not an issue for me now as it simply ties in with Cassians line about Saw attacking the cargo ships. So now I just think that must have been what happened off camera.

10. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017

I was very disappointed the scenes from the trailer I was most looking forward to were cut.

Avnar likes this.
  11. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I heard a rumor that one of the original endings had Jyn and Cassian alive, but frozen in carbonite and adrift in a ruined ship floating alone in space.

If a true rumor, it would be cool footage to see.

12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I
    Sounds odd... BUT if it means Rogue Two - I am all for it! :cool: I am still torn about them all dying at the end ONLY because i would love to see another adventure or two with some of these characters!

Blue 5 likes this.
  13. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Rogue One prequels are still possible. It's not like Jyn and Cassian were working at Walmart before the events of the film. They led highly action-oriented lives!

whostheBossk and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Rogue One prequel is seasons 3 & 4 of Rebels.

whostheBossk and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Ah, I didn't realize those seasons will cover all events occurring across the whole galaxy. ;)

16. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012

Saw Gerrera, Mon Mothma and General Dodonna's battlegroup will provide some of the background for the Ghost's crew.

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    If Lucasfilm ever needed extra money, they only need to sell a Rogue One Director's cut. I want to see ALL what they shot.

11-4D, Diego Lucas, Avnar and 2 others like this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I honestly thought we were in for a double-dip like TFA last year with the deleted scenes (as opposed to the zero we got on the bluray release) but if it hasn't been announced already I'd wager we aren't getting one.

Personally, I say release the original cut and just slap a "Legends" label across the box and, boom, there's your Legends EU content.

19. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    The thing is, there's no real "original cut" of a finished film. There's a rough cut with incomplete effects and maybe a temp-track score.

TCF-1138 and B99 like this.
  20. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012

That would be the "Work Print", literally everything shot and put into order using the script and with or without completed ADR and FX.

Very few "work prints" ever see light of day, Blade Runner and Apocalypse Now being one of the few exceptions.

Diego Lucas and Artoo-Dion like this.
  21. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    It's inevitable that as we hit the various 10th, 20th, 25th, etc anniversaries of Rogue One's release that the question will continue to persist on when Lucasfilm will release the unaltered original version of it.

Even if that means them going back and re-working the rough cut that it is now and making it a feature film. I can see something like that coming out for RO's 25th anniversary. With commentaries from the cast, directors, and crew. This, of course, after everyone has made peace with it all and enough time has passed for a release like this to be appropriate and for it not to alter the impact of when it was originally released, both for the in universe story as well as how the audience receives it.

It might sound like it's a ways off. But it really isn't. How often do you think of a movie and say to yourself "wow, that came out 10-20 years ago already"? It won't be long before we start saying that about RO and this entire ST/Anthology era.

22. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    id like to see it and i think eventually they will do it disney wont leave all that money on the table

23. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I think that a future release should at least just give us a few deleted scenes/ shots. They could call it “scenes from the trailer that didn’t make the cut.”

Also, are we ever going to get a director’s commentary?

Avnar likes this.
  24. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I would love to see this!

Side note Gigoran Monk - I was giving call signs to the police communications the other day for a special operation and I gave them "Rogue 1 and Rogue 2" :cool: for our two units and I hear a transmission come up over the radio about 10 seconds later from an u/k guy going "Love it!" hehehe

Sarge and Gigoran Monk like this.
  25. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Brilliant! Next time: Raddus 1 and Raddus 2.

Sarge and Avnar like this.