main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    At that point, it really stops being a capital ship and literally just becomes a space station with guns and propulsion. Not that the idea of Snoke taking refugee in a flying city-castle is that bad, mind you. Kind of fits his paranoid characterization. It also fits the idea of Snoke having that as his capital for what's still a more militarized and seemingly utilitarian government like the FO; there's no palace world like Coruscant for him to rule, so instead he chooses the most ostentatious and ludicrous display of power and wealth he can while still maintains the appearance of usefulness of his home in wartime.

And while I still think the Legends Eclipse SSD is a better overall design, making it appear wider rather than longer is a good way to communicate its size in quick shots in film.

2. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    I rather like this Horten Ho 229 flying wing on steroids better than the Eclipse, it's quite an original take on the concept, though perhaps a bit large for my tastes. I do think the Eclipse design has potential for future use in Star Wars canon, as long as they do away with the superlaser, which is frankly ridiculous, but they'd have to change the name I think because I think the Emperor's eclipse from the end of Aftermath trilogy is just an SSD like the Executor.

Revyl Ren likes this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, that's exactly what I like about the sound of this - it's like the Death Stars (albeit smaller) but without the superlaser, so it's just a giant mobile fortress.

4. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

I agree. People just can't let go of Legends. I've always figured the Eclipse was an Executor-class in Canon.

Maybe the Supremacy replaced the Eclipse after the latter was lost in a campaign inside future First Order space, maybe to the Chiss?

5. Fire Dog

Fire Dog Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2017
  6. Fire Dog

Mar 1, 2017
    So think about this guys if Snoke's flagship is so large, how large do you all think The Raddus will be? It did remind me of a Viscount on first look so do you think it is equal or close to the size of a Resurgent class Or larger like the First Order Dreadnaught??

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

It's been linked:

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Fire Dog

Mar 1, 2017
  9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    1. That resistance ship reminds of a smoothed down providence personally. I like it.

2. Fire Dog : Agreed. Personally, I would absolutely love it if they brought back the Strike Cruiser for such a role.

3. godisawesome :
    Good analysis. Though I have to wonder - have we seen any space stations that big? Besides the Death Stars of course.
    I hope so - I love the space fortresses in Gundam and would greatly appreciate Star Wars equivalents.

I have to admit, while I have been critical of the franchise getting increasingly rigid in its design choices, I do wish that the Supremacy had more of a swept wing design to give it that classic, menacing imperial blade look.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it's a good subversion of traditional Imperial chic.

if the figure is for length not width,

then the width, compared to the 60km length, looks like it would probably beat the DS2's 200 km width - since the ship looks to be on the order of 4x as wide as it is long.

The Executor was on the order of 6km wide - so this ship is probably 10x the Executor's dimensions in both length and width - just reversed. I think it might be a little flatter proportionally than the Executor though.

11. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    We just got past the Super-class nonsense, and now they come out with a Mega-class ship?

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe they will recanonize "Super-class Star Destroyer" as an official designation - even though it's "combat class" is Star Dreadnought?

13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That's already done, actually. Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia uses the term to describe an Executor-class Dreadnought.

King of Alsakan and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Perhaps the Mega-class's "alternate designation" will be "Supremacy-class Star Dreadnought"?

(or, if it's just too big to share a combat class with the Executor, something like "Star Superdreadnought", "Star Megabattleship" etc.

15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Perhaps the reason it is the sole Mega-class is because after the first one, they realized how stupid the name was and renamed it for other city-ships

16. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    When you've got 100 kilometer+ DSs and remnants of the Empire literally turning planets into space stations, it's really nothing out of the ordinary.

17. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Just wait until Episode IX introduces the Ultra-class Star Destroyer. :p

Not sure what still requires spoiler so I'll be cautious.
    I hope that 60km bit is a bit off, as that sounds ridiculous. What's the current canon size of the Death Star I? Wookieepedia says 160km, but 60km is still a significant amount of that. Might as well build another Death Star at that point. I was expecting 20km or 30k but guess just like Starkiller Base they're really going for overkill.

Not sure about the design, not a big fan of the flying wing shape. Guess we'll find out more details soon enough. Just hope TLJ doesn't completely copy ESB's introduction of the Executor, but I hope we get a few good shots of it at least. I still miss the Executor and Eclipse-class dreadnoughts, the Executor still looked sleek despite its size and the Eclipse was imposing.

Ooh, a ship named after Raddus. Although I doubt it'll be that large, as it was probably built in peacetime, and even getting the Starhawk ships built while the war was still kind of active was a struggle.

18. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It's not Wookieepedia that says the DS is 160 km in diameter, it's Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide. It's sourced. ;)

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    As Hav noted in the main TLJ thread when the name was just a rumor, I kind of have to love it for twisting the knife re: the Saxonites. Still hoping the commander will be a First Order Ultra Admiral.

slybrarian and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm waiting for the the Compensator-class myself

SpecForce Trooper and DarkEagle like this.
  21. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    We got some more sceenshots from the app and the Supremacy is not just a massive war ship. She is a mobile fleet base and shipyard:

[​IMG]

22. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Are there any similar bios for the Raddus? I'm very interested in learning more about it.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd like to see some of the details on the Raddus too.

I've been comparing it to the smallest American states and (assuming 60km is intended to be the length , not the width, with the width being more like 240-odd km) then it's definitely "state-sized" - comparable to Rhode Island, Delaware, or Connecticut.

24. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    Sounds like it'd annoy both sides. WEG fans really didn't like the large scope of some of the stuff in the EU and interpretations of the OT, and the other side didn't like the classifications and smaller scope of some of the stuff in the EU and interpretations of the OT.

Big scope + nonsensical classifications = everyone can get angry

I just like the big scope, so I'm happy.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  25. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

There is, but we don't have screenshots just yet.

Grand Admiral Paxis likes this.