main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Orville [Seth McFarlane's returning Sci-Fi Show]

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Sep 2, 2017.

1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Not unless it's substantially better than the trailer I watched.

Sarge likes this.
  3. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    From Emmy Award-winning executive producer and creator Seth MacFarlane (FAMILY GUY, “Ted,” “Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey”), THE ORVILLE is a live-action, one-hour space adventure series set 400 years in the future that follows The Orville, a mid-level exploratory spaceship. Its crew, both human and alien, face the wonders and dangers of outer space, while also dealing with the familiar, often humorous problems of everyday life. The ensemble series stars MacFarlane as the ship’s Commanding Officer and Adrianne Palicki (“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” “Friday Night Lights”) as his ex-wife, who’s assigned as his First Officer. Additional cast members include Penny Johnson Jerald (“24,” “The Larry Sanders Show”), Scott Grimes (“ER,” “Justified”), Peter Macon (“Shameless,” “Bosch”), Halston Sage (“Neighbors,” “Goosebumps”), J Lee (FAMILY GUY, “The Cleveland Show”), Mark Jackson (“That Royal Today”) and Chad L. Coleman (“The Walking Dead,” “The Wire”).

THE ORVILLE is produced by 20th Century Fox Television. The series was created and written by Seth MacFarlane. MacFarlane, Brannon Braga (“Terra Nova”), David A. Goodman (FAMILY GUY), Jason Clark (“Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey,” “Ted”) and Liz Heldens (“Mercy,” “Deception”) serve as executive producers on the series. Jon Favreau (“The Jungle Book,” “Iron Man”) directed the pilot, on which he also served as an executive producer.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Won't last a season.

Sarge likes this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    All of the sci-fi site reviewers have said it's the best Trek since Galaxy Quest and way better than the trailer.

Diggy likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm hoping that MacFarlane's goals at evoking TNG Trek are indeed successful. Besides Braga, they even brought aboard the TNG cinematographer as well.

On the fan speculation/analysis side of things, Trekyards did a two-part episode taking a look at the ship from the trailers. Will be interesting to see how much of that pans out:

Most interesting is that they actually made a physical model for hero shots in the series.

7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I can't say I'm a big fan of MacFarlane's output, but this looks more compelling (relatively) to me than the actual new Star Trek series. But I lean toward I Are The Internets. I can't see this making it past S1. I could see it subsequently developing a cult following, though.

Sarge likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It's Star Trek. Okay it isn't Star Trek but it's Star Trek and probably won't last longer than 13 episodes, and McFarlane is a dedicated Trekkie and some of his work has been pretty funny, so I'm definitely going to watch.

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    At first glance, it looks like a cross between Firefly and Galaxy Quest. I'll give it a try.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Diggy

Diggy likes this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This looks terrible. It just looks like McFarlane making a Star Trek ripoff, but with his trademark poop jokes.

Reviews aren't exactly stellar either. Most reviews I've seen says it's not worth watching.

12. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    You're assuming the poop jokes will be limited in scope and vision.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They'll go beyond cling-ons and the captain's log?

tom, JoinTheSchwarz and Ender Sai like this.
  14. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Were the Ted movies worth watching? I didn't think so, but apparently they were quite popular nonetheless.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You thought Ezio Skywalker was a good name though, Valyn... :p

jp-30 and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  16. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    A man can dream...

17. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
  18. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    They were advertising this everywhere at San Diego Comic Con. The displays they set up actually seemed pretty legit. But I honestly couldn't tell if it was a serious show with a funny side or a funny show with a serious side. And all the promos of it I've seen haven't really indicated either way, since much of the subject matter hasn't really been shown. Were it not for the mere presence of Seth Mcfarlane, it wouldn't seem to have very much a comedy angle at all, and would actually seem a lot more serious.

Personally, I'm not all that interested. Seems like it will just rely on all kinds of references to previous sci-fi shows and movies. Not a huge Mcfarlane fan either.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In interviews, Seth says it's the former but the promos have been pushing it as the latter, probably to bank on Seth's previous comedic work (Family, Ted, etc) more than his dramatic work (Cosmos, Enterprise, his singing, etc). That might end up working against it, though, if they're selling it as the wrong genre mix.

A lot of these early reviews seem to be a result of that- i.e.: 'a comedy that isn't that funny'.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well we all find out in just over an hour!

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm digging it so far. It's TNG with quips and I've gotten at least one big laugh per act. Liking it may depend on how much one misses TNG and/or can tolerate and enjoy Seth McFarlane. I really do miss TNG. And I'm a fan. Has basically the same music and everything.

Going to have to check out the west coast rebroadcast at 11 for a bit, I missed a few seconds of the opening shot due to Canadian simulcast broadcast cutting in and overriding the FOX feed. Darn Canada!

22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Was there a captain's log - poop joke yet?

23. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    OK, that was pretty good. I look forward to seeing more of it.

24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    The 1st minute alone is complete gold! I enjoyed the hell out that. If that can be kept up week to week and humor doesn't become stale and repeating it ll be a smash. I pay little attention to critics. I'm definitely in for another week atleast. I laughed the entire hour.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    An ok start- obviously most of the best jokes in this episode were spoiler in all the previews but I really love the dry humor (although it's not always dry, which is when it gets iffy).

The "don't make eye contact" line was funny, as was the window washer but.

The crew introduction sequence was clunky but most of them seem to work well with at least some of the other cast. Only the doctor didn't seem to gel well (ironic, given that the actress has the most Trek experience in the cast).

The personal story resolution was expected but the sci-fi story certainly had a unique conclusion.

(On a related note, the fate of the female scientist was more gruesome than I expected from this show, so that's also promising)

There's definitely a retro early-TNG thing going on here. If it can advance itself to mid/late TNG, it might have a chance.

And just watching the preview for the season, Adrienne seems to get tortured in chairs often on her shows, heh.