main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social "International Interview" Thread--All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Pensivia, Jun 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    The Omni Consumer Products corporation (OCP) runs the Detroit police department after the city decides to privatise law enforcement. When police officer Alex Murphy is killed on duty, they figure the guy is legally dead and his body is the property of OCP, so they wipe his memory and put his head in a robot body and let it loose on the streets, where it proceeds to savagely shoot up petty criminals and deliver justice the old fashioned way of a western. The clever thing about RoboCop is that its director is Dutch, and there is a lot of satirisation of 1980s yuppie Reaganite Americana from an outside view in it. Some of it blatantly, like the exaggerated commercials on TV that the movie cuts to here and there, and some of it more subtle. Perhaps its undoing is that a lot of people don't know that most of it is intended as satire, so a lot of its fans like it for precisely the things that the movie is making fun of them for liking. For instance, the movie is ultra violent to a degree so absurd that it becomes comical, to make fun of the glorification of violence in media, but then a lot of people like it earnestly precisely because of that exaggerated violence. Go figure.

In short: it's worth seeing.

Gamiel, Chyntuck and Pensivia like this.
  2. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I found it entertaining, but also meh, if you know what I mean.

Chyntuck likes this.
  3. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Yeah, it's a one time watch in my opinion. I liked the remake too, but apparently the consensus is that it was crap. [face_dunno]

Gamiel and Chyntuck like this.
  4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I thought it was a cool movie... in 1987. I caught a bit on TV at some point during the last decade and it hasn't aged particularly well (unlike Pensivia and me :p )

Pensivia likes this.
  5. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

:D

6. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Another question for Cowgirl Jedi 1701...tonight on a 60 Minutes piece (about the deep political divide in America today), I just heard a phrase I'd never heard before: "West Michigan nice" (the piece featured a focus group of 14 people from Grand Rapids)

Can you share any insights into how this term is used in Michigan?

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is there any traditional Michigan food/drink that outsiders find strange?

Chyntuck likes this.
  8. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Nope. It's new to me too.

Not that I can think of. Maybe the dipping French fries in gravy thing.

Chyntuck likes this.
  9. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    The Dutch dip it in mayo. I like it. Recipe for heart attack, though.

Chyntuck and Pensivia like this.
  10. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    I've seen fries dipped in mayo in the US too (though it's definitely not common--the most common dip for fries here is ketchup). Never seen people dipping fries in gravy, though, so that one's new to me:p

^hmmm...not too widespread in its use there, I guess...from what I could gather from how it was used in the video segment, "West Michigan nice" seemed like it might be sort of the Midwestern parallel to the idea of a type of social "politeness" often generally associated with Southern states.

Chyntuck likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Any comic/s and/or book/s that you would say do a good work representing Michigan?

Chyntuck and Dagobahsystem like this.
  12. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    You've piqued my curiosity now Cowgirl Jedi 1701. What exactly do you mean by "dipping fries in gravy"? Is it something like poutine, or do you get a ramequin of gravy on the side the way you'd get ketchup?

As a side note, the only real dip for chips is tzatziki, everybody knows that. Anything else is ersatz :p

Dagobahsystem and Pensivia like this.
  13. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    There are probably others, but all I can think of right now is the Chocoholic Mysteries by JoAnna Carl

I've done it both ways. I've poured gravy over my fries, but I've also had gravy on the side and dipped my fries in it like ketchup.

14. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Greetings, thread!:p If there are no more questions for Cowgirl in the next few days, we'll close her round and then I will start my round on Florida (I don't believe Ando123 from Argentina is around anymore).

I am usually fairly busy with work, but I will be especially busy through the end of 2017, so we can let my round move along at our well-established molasses-like pace, if that's ok with everyone:p . Then we can kick off 2018 with the newly rebooted/reformatted thread!:D

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can you tell us who are from the Old World and only know USA from pop-culture how Michigan differ from the rest of USA?

Pensivia, Chyntuck and Dagobahsystem like this.
  16. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016

What you see in pop culture is basically just an exaggeration of the reality, so it's not really that much different. At least from what I've seen.

Chyntuck and Dagobahsystem like this.
  17. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Have you ever visited the Motown Historical Museum or any other famous Michigan musical landmarks?

Are you a fan of the Motown style of music?

Pensivia and Chyntuck like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    OK, but how do Michigan differ from the rest of USA?

19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    The Mackinac Bridge doesn't count as a famous Michigan landmark? Because I've definitely been there.

Not specifically in itself, per se, but insofar as it is part of the classification of American music known as Oldies, yes.

This question appears to assume that I am actually aware of trends in general. May I remind you that I am a nerd like you?

20. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Just want to let the thread know during this lull that I have silently been updating this post since first writing it. The channel that I'm referring to in the post had then reached halfway through G. Since then (he's now at J :p ), I have added new videos and everything in the post below Germany is newly added content since the original post.

Chyntuck, Pensivia and Gamiel like this.
  21. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    That's great, Violent Violet Menace! Thanks for those handy updates! Looking forward to dipping into that series more when I get a chance for sure.

Planning to make the initial post for my round sometime this weekend, so "stay tuned," everyone!

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    And here I thought people in USA was proud about the things that differed their state from the rest of the country. Shows your prejudices I guess.

Chyntuck likes this.
  23. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016

Actually I'm not prejudiced at all. At least I don't think I am. In fact I consider myself very socially colorblind.

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No I meant my prejudices about people from USA

25. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Judging from the context, perhaps the word you're really looking for is "preconceptions"?

Finding the right word. It's a writer thing. :)

Chyntuck and Gamiel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.