main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Nice to see you're safe and sound, Mav!

2. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Ewok Poet: This is just a suggestion, so you can totally ignore it if you want, but what if the next time some random dude hits on you, you say something completely wacky?

An example:
    Dude: *Invites you for Italian*
    You: "I love Italian food!.....But I gotta go get my colander."
    Dude: "Huh?"
    You: "Yeah, I'm a Pastafarian. Eating noodles without it would be totally sacrilegious."

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Two things.

I found in my mother-in-law's boxes the postcards that Mr Chyn sent her twice a week during his military service. I thought that was cute. (Full disclosure: she's not alone, I kept mine too [face_love] )

The other thing is that I can't sleep. My friend is going for her final asylum hearing tomorrow and I was stupid enough to volunteer to be her lawyer. That means that I'm going to have to plead in court, and I'm terrible at that. Why oh why didn't I leave it to someone more competent than me? I could be biting my nails alone in the back of the courtroom instead of doing it in front of the judges.

4. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Because you are a good friend and a moral person, that's why.

Chyntuck likes this.
  5. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000

Yaaay, Mav! Just glad to know you're safe. We're thinking of you. We'll keep your seat warm 'til you get back. :D

You'll do fine, Chyntuck. Just pretend it's finals at law school or something. @};- Make notes to read from; you're super-eloquent on paper. You just need to keep breathing and remember your awesomeness.

Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Great hearing from you! Although the conditions must be bad on the island, I am glad they have you there to help. The video of the area is heartbreaking. Are you working in a hospital or traveling around the country? I want to salute you and your comrades for helping out in such a difficult situation.

Take care of yourself! I hope you are home soon.

Chyntuck likes this.
  7. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    The fortunate thing is that you get older and getting hit on usually stops. Also adopting a "mess with me and I'll cut your face wide open" persona while out in public also works*. Okay that works for me, maybe not for you. :p But age in the end is the greatest factor in making you less likely to get hit on...usually.

*My interactions with the opposite sex have been based more in harassment since I was young, for multiple reasons (primarily: I'm quite literally ugly and I'm not a gender-compliant female. Plus I live in a part of the United States that isn't terribly socially progressive, so I tend to get the fuzzy end of the lollipop in these types of interactions. I'm not inherently violent, just mean).

8. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    WOO-HOO! We won! I may not be that bad at pleading in court after all – although the fact that the judge could locate Somalia on the map probably helped too :p My friend and her daughters are now officially refugees in Greece; we're going to collect their pink cards next week [face_dancing] [face_clown] [face_party]

The Chyntuck household is expanding with a Somali contingent today. Mr Chyn is driving them back to the camp now to fetch their belongings, and they're moving into my mother-in-law's flat later this afternoon. And I just spoke to my cousin, who is taking the registration papers for the girls to the headteacher as I type; the girls will be able to go to school as early as tomorrow.

THIS IS A PARTY! *cue Zorba the Greek music and much plate-breaking*

9. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, fabulous! We knew you could do it! With someone like you vouching for them, of course they would be allowed in. Those little girls will be happy to get to school & get some normalcy.

Is plate breaking really a thing? I thought it was just a movie thing...

Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Glad that you re-emerged, mavjade. Sounds like you're dead busy. I hope that all is going well and that the people of Puerto Rico trust your disaster team and appreciate your help. You're a hero, so is the rest of the team. [face_love]

Cowgirl Jedi 1701, THAT WAS GREAT! LMAO! [face_rofl] Trolling wannabe pick-up artists would definitely be fun. :D. It's just like...when it happens, I'm more likely to think "what the kriff is wrong with this dude?" than think of witty comebacks.

leiamoody, doesn't work for me. I seem to attract more attention at 34 than I did at 24, for some reason. I do think that I look better than I did then, but heck, there's so much more to me than a nice picture. And these delightful individuals don't get it.

The mess with me and I'll cut your face open persona works on older men who randomly yell things after me. Then again, I did yell something remotely similar at dudes who had a problem with the fact that I was biking in leggings and a mini skirt. Like, WHY DO YOU CARE? There's a reality show on TV where people had sex on camera, go watch that. [face_phbbbbt]

Also, I bet you're not ugly. And there's nothing wrong with not looking like a typical female. :)

So, I tried to enter a photography competition. I waited until the last six hours to write a 1500 word essay to accompany the five photos I picked and...I only got 300 words of incredibly lame text. Not sure if I'm still suffering from the leftovers of aripiprazole in my system, if I was tired or just plain discouraged. >_<

Findswoman likes this.
  11. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Mistress_Renata Nah, plate-breaking doesn't really exist anymore, except probably among American Greeks :p Here it's actually banned by law and people throw flowers instead, but even that is associated with a very particular kind of nightclub called skyladika ("dog clubs", which gives you a clue about the quality of the music). But I'm so happy and relieved today that I could break a few plates. My friend's application for asylum was rejected in the first instance committee because they'd decided that there were enough war-free zones in Somalia for it to qualify as a safe country :rolleyes: so we had to appeal, and you never know what kind of moronic magistrates you'll be facing when you go to court. This bunch were okay though; they'd actually done their homework about Somalia (because that quip about knowing where Somalia is wasn't really a quip) and they came across as good, sensible people. And they probably didn't want me to take the case all the way to the European Court of Human Rights ;)

12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Sorry for the double post, but this is an entirely different topic.

Remember that Twitter argument between two museums of London a few weeks back? Well, the British cathedrals did their own thing for World Architecture Day. It's not quite as funny or coherent as the museums, but there are some real gems in there. You can start reading here.

13. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    ^ Thanks for the link. I will have to read that later.

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    That's awesome Chyn! Congratulations!

As for me! I've officially started my master's degree! I actually managed to get up at a decent hour and do all the introductory stuff (plagiarism and ethics forms, as well as do the awkward introductory post online). I'm kinda hoping I can make it up to the library (the place I plan to do most of my work... because cats - plus the neighbours are re-doing their roof so it is VERY LOUD here at home) today but apparently my last course package is coming today and I need to be home to sign for it. So my "very productive first day" is turning out to be not very productive at all.

15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Congrats, Chyn and Bri. :)

I have a job interview tomorrow. The job itself is demanding and likely tiring, but the pay is decent and the commute would not be a problem, so I thought I'd give it a go.

16. Flyboy240

Flyboy240 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 6, 2017
    Finally finished moving! My new apartment has been untouched since the 70's... Wood paneling and shag carpet everywhere. Not sure how to feel about it but its cheap.

Good luck in your interview Ewok Poet! I've got one coming up on Friday.

17. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Sounds like quite the pad.

18. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Pretty much says it all, LOL!

Get some lava lamps and original SW posters, and you can claim it's "retro chic!" :p When it comes to housing, 'cheap' is not a bad thing!!!

Good luck, Ewok Poet! Will have my fingers crossed for you.

Chyntuck, Norwich Cathedral wins the thread... "That's not a moon..."

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  19. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Good luck in the job interviews guys!

I agree with the idea of trying to make the new 'pad look purposefully retro.

I managed to get some stuff done before the cats started crawling on me. The package didn't get delivered till quite late and I had some running around to do, so I just sat at a Starbucks for an hour reading the first few things. Not as productive as I would have liked to have been, but still not a bad start. BUT TOMORROW I plan to go to the library, just to see what I can accomplish in a day. But, yeah, I have a feeling that most of my work will need to be done outside of my house. Because cats.

Mistress_Renata and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Flyboy240 - Make it even more '70s. :D Wood paneling isn't a thing here, but I remember loving the shaggy rugs my parents had in their room as a kid. They had kept them for some twenty-five years, they were totally worn out in the end, but I kind of miss them. A pain to clean, though.

Glad the move is over, btw. :) What kind of job are you getting interviewed for?

Thank you, Mistress_Renata and Briannakin. :)

We had a five-part test. It was all in English and the first part, multiple choice, was the hardest. I came across the word "ruminative" and I had no idea that it existed, so I left that blank. We also had to put some verbs in correct tenses, pick a word related to an example that fits a particular sentence (e.g. advance though the example was advanced), respond to four questions about the job itself and reply to a fictional customer inquiry.

Given that the first part was hard, I'm not expecting much, but it was a great and different experience.

Also, sign this petition (warning: explicit image of a dog with ears cut off):
    https://www.change.org/p/tturkish-a...justice-for-dog-with-ears-cut-off-for-selfies

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  22. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    After finishing reading Heart of Darkness from Joseph Conrad, it is wonderfully writen, but I feel like there is no story... I am probably missing something.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The horror, the horror.

yahiko likes this.
  24. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Yeah, "the horror, the horror" is pretty much what Heart of Darkness is all about. yahiko A very good complementary read is King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild about (the horror of) Belgian colonisation of the Congo.

Meanwhile, I dropped a heavy wooden drawer full of papers on my foot today and now my toe is a nice deep dark blue.

And I'm looking for a Somali mosque in Athens. Life can get complicated sometimes.

yahiko likes this.
  25. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016

Ouch! Blue is not a good color for toes!

Unless you are wearing blue socks.

But even then dropping things on your toes is not a good idea. It doesn't feel very good. I know. Been there, done that.

Chyntuck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.