main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Things you like and dislike about the Disney era so far? SEE WARNING ON PAGE 7

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by DJT, Oct 3, 2017.

1. DJT

DJT Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2017
    Me? Since Disney now owns Lucasfilm, I am grateful to have new movies being made but I was disappointed that all previous works of the expanded universe are no longer canon but since they are still accessible I can't complain that much. The new expanded universe, to be honest I've read the latest comics mostly, is great so far. I hope to see more Star Wars games on the PC soon.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Like : The new Star Wars movies. [:D]

Dislike : The name "Disney" being a magnet for all sorts of malcontent paranoia. 8-}

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    It'd be nice if one of these would be stickied. This conversation comes up on the bi-weekly, or some derivative of it.

4. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    GUH.

I appreciate that the dreams can still live on in some shape or form. The fans and children can still have that love going strong. Can't say I am pleased that it has been consumed by a cooperation but even Lucas knew it had to happen at some point. Just wished that the events that had transpired during the transition wasn't so...Rocky(and it still is). Thankfully, this isn't quite the "lived long enough to see yourself as a villain" kinda deal. Anyways...

I like a few things in the Disney era that isn't the movies or production of them. More so the people than anything..

5. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    Indeed, for those interested, there's been some more extensive discussion here.
    Though, admittedly, it hasn't focused on the out-of-universe corporate aspect.

6. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Like:

Creating a range of likeable new characters to pass the torch to the next generation.
    Bringing back fan favorite characters and not being afraid of pushing them into uncomfortable territory.
    John Williams still scoring the Episode films and not losing any of his magic.
    The resurgence of the brand back into the public conciseness, in terms of merchandise, theme parks, etc.

7. Finland Skywalker

Finland Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 13, 2016
    Like: We're getting a decent sequel trilogy and a "Star Wars Land" at Disney World.

Dislike: The fandom being bratty

8. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    Like : Re-interest in the Star Wars films.

Dislike : Kathleen Kennedy being in charge.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Like: Rogue One, all of it, especially Jyn Erso. Finn. Great new books. Some great new comics, especially the ones that fill in the missing Obi-Wan and Anakin years. Star Wars Rebels, especially Hera. The promise of new Star Wars material on a regular basis, likely for the rest of my life. The new theme park.

Dislike: Kylo Ren. Some of the comics that mischaracterized Leia.

TetsuAero and wobbits like this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Like: Rebels, TFA and Rogue One. I've read a few previews of comics at starwars.com and felt that they were promising. I also like the idea of Star Wars Legends and LFL's efforts to keep the canon universe consistent.

Dislike: That LFL decided to play things too safe for GL's taste. I really loved the idea of him remaining involved as creative consultant.

So far, my likes vastly outweigh my dislike.

11. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Cancelling Clone Wars is the only major thing I dislike so far. Another minor thing I dislike is Disney putting their logo on all the Star Wars merchandise. They don't do this with Marvel (as far as I know) but they do with Star Wars. I'd much rather see the LucasFilm logo instead.

12. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Dislike: Cancelling The Clone Wars, Crippling LucasArts
    Like: More Star Wars films

13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I can’t believe I forgot about the cancelling of TCW!!!
    Maybe I didn’t want to remember, though. “Dislike” is to weak a word for that one...

14. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Like: Rogue One, Rebels, Forces of Destiny, all of the new comics I've read (Star Wars and Darth Vader), frequency of new films.

Dislike: Cancelling TCW, that some great books were removed from canon, and although I like the film, TFA has an incredibly unoriginal story.

15. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Like: Giving us regular star wars films
    Dislike: Giving us regular star wars films

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Like: fan humor! The Cave and the new films thread in the PT forum were epic.

Dislike: The current films thus far.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Can't say a thing I actually liked. Perhaps the Blu-ray release of the 6th season of TCW...? At least that's the only SW thing I bought from them ever since they took over. I guess the decision to reboot the EU was also nice if not for the fact that they became the thing they had just 'destroyed'.

As for dislike, the list is perhaps too long. At the top is their decision to exclude/ignore Lucas from the creative proccess and their ignoring of the original creative content he left them with. The decision to cancel TCW. And finally the blatant fan pandering and/or lack of originality of the works they've released so far.

P.S: Oh, another positive: they brought (part of) their LucasArts catalogue to GOG.com. Not sure if that was coming anyway or if it's something that only happened thanks to them, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

18. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I must have missed the moment where Lucas was "excluded" and "ignored" while I was too busy reading the interview where Lucas talks about removing himself because it felt "awkward" to be in a position where not everything would go his way.

Strongbow likes this.
  19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Indeed, you must have missed it. I didn't.

20. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Then you missed Lucas telling the world how he walked away from having the awkward feeling of not getting everything his own way, like he had in the past.

I can find no record of him saying or being reported as having said that he was "ignored" or "excluded" by anyone for anything.

The important thing is, he can't say the first one and be right about the second one. Or vice versa. Unless he decided to lie to us one of those times.

Unless you'd like to argue that being ignored/excluded is the same as not getting everything your own way. In which case my you and my three year old niece have plenty to talk about.

Strongbow likes this.
  21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No. He left because they were ignoring his take and perspective. No point in staying if you're being ignored. Lucas said the story goes right. They decided to go left. Therefore Lucas, and his take on going right is being ignored/discarded.

Oh really? The fact that they decided to do something different doesn't imply ignoring his contribution? Had they accepted (as opposed to ignore or discard it), there wouldn't be a difference.

"They looked at the stories and they said, we want to make something for the fans. So I said, all I want to do is tell a story of what happened. You know, it started here and it went there and it's all about generations and it's about, you know, the issues of fathers and sons and grandfathers. And it's a family soap opera, ultimately. I mean, we call it a space opera. But people don't realize it's actually a soap opera and it's all about family problems and -- in fact, it's not about spaceships. So they decided they didn't want to use those stories. They said they were going to do their own thing. And so I decided, fine. They weren't that keen to have me involved anyway." - George Lucas

What first or second? You can be ignored and leave on your own accord. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Besides, this has been discussed at length before.

22. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    No. You still haven't came close to exclusion or being ignored. I'm not ignoring you or excluding you from this conversation. But I'm not going to agree with or proceed on the basis of anything that you've said because it makes no sense.

The fact that ideas that came out of his collaboration with Arndt wound up in the film refutes the assumption that he was excluded or ignored.

Being excluded means at least being told to leave or not being allowed in. Lucas removed himself because he wasn't getting everything his own way.

And the quote you've provided is one Lucas gave about a movie he hadn't seen. His insinuation that they didn't want him around is just that. Insinuation.

And in conclusion. A person who thinks that because he or she isn't getting everything his own he is being excluded and ignored is about as mature as a toddler. But Lucas never said that he was excluded or ignored. Just that the owners of Star Wars are making the decisions and not him.

P.S. This is a discussion board. If you don't want something discussed, you don't have to participate. You certainly don't need to bring it up in order tell people it's not up for discussion.

23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Dislike: Cancellation of TCW, TFA, the style of the Sequel Trilogy in general

Meh: Rebels for the most part

Like: Rogue One, parts of Rebels with Maul, Kylo's saber concept

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes I did, as I previously pointed out.

I really don't care wether you agree or not. You're free to, but facts don't change. It is what it is.

Which ideas, exactly? And ideas is a very broad term. Far from specific like story, character, design, worldbuilding, etc...

No, it doesn't. Exclusion is not limited to that. By being ignored he is being excluded.

He removed himself because, as he stated, they decided to go in a different direction, as opposed to the direction he provided which was ignored.

Oh, please. The direction had been decided months/years before. The final product, wether he had seen it or not, didn't change (much less reversed) the direction taken. It was simply materialized.

Lucas never said that. What you think is mature or not has no bearing on what's being discussed.

Who said I don't want to discuss on a discussion board? I said that this has been discussed at length before. I'd rather stick to the topic, instead of having to point out factual and well documented information to someone who questions it. Specially when this had been discussed multiple times in the respective (and appropriate) threads.

25. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    You're not excluded from this conversation but that doesn't mean I'm agreeing with you or ignoring you. I'm telling you why you're wrong. Even if you decide to leave the conversation rather than argue with me, you're still not excluded or being ignored. You're just being disagreed with.

The topic is discuss things you do and don't like. If you want to create things to not like then you'd better be prepared to discuss them in this discussion thread.

Yes Lucas didn't say he was ignored or excluded. He said he couldn't dictate to them what to do and so he left. It's you that's saying that means he was ignored and excluded.