main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
  2. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Ewok Poet I'm not sure if this will be helpful advice...but don't lose hope. I've been rejected to so many jobs that each time it's been like a slap to the face. It makes you feel like you aren't good enough, but you ARE good enough. You will get a job though--keep applying. Things will get better.

3. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Ugh, sorry to hear about that, EP. :(

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Ewok Poet - you add value to this world.

Through your websites, your expertise, and your creativity.

Being formally employed is not the only way to feel valued.

Sometimes, it isn't what you know, but who you know. Have you made a list of all the contacts you made through your coding work, and tried tapping them up for jobs?

Not a guarantee, far from it, but a connection is already there...

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm sorry to hear that, Ewok Poet. I'm not sure what other advice I can offer. Like others have said, don't give up. It sucks but most of us have been there (or are there in some way or another).

I hate to change the topic to something a lot fluffier, but we have kidnapped a corgi. For those who have been around for awhile: my partner in crime and I have taken bridezilla's corgi.

Not really (but yeah really). A friend of mine and my housemates (the former bridezilla of 2014) is out of town for a few days and she and the hubby left their dog with her parents. Apparently the dog and the mother's dog (who is ancient) got into a pretty bad fight, bridezilla is out of contact with the world, so the mother asked me if I'd let my housemates take the corgi. I said yes, because said corgi is a corgi and corgis are adorable.

Cats aren't pleased, but I get to play with a corgi.

6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Corgis look like little foxes! You're lucky, Briannakin!

Don't lose hope, Ewok Poet. There is something out there waiting for you that you will be good at. As Sith-I-5 says, work your contacts. Your school alumnae association (I got my job by being referred by one of my advisors), your teachers, your mother's friends, old clients... And you had mentioned that you weren't enthusiastic about this one anyway, so it might be an overall win. You, too, leiamoody, don't give up.

7. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I'm sorry, Ewok Poet. There'll be other opportunities and you'll find one. I know you can.

Gemma, Ewok Poet and Raissa Baiard like this.
  8. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    **waves from Northern California** Here with a Counties-Wide Fire Update, because I've had the odd pleasure of listening to Fire Bomber Planes go over head (the office I work in is not that far from the regional airport) all week long...

Redwood Complex / Potter Fire / Mendocino Lake Complex ... (It jumped county lines, and got a new name.)
    34,000 acres at 20% Containment (the lack of strong winds helped. Seriously.)

The Tubbs Fire,between Calistoga and Santa Rosa (Napa & Sonoma County) is now 35,270 acres and 44% contained

Atlas Fire, north and west of Napa (Napa & Solano Counties) is now 48,228 acres and 45% contained

Sulphur Fire (Mendocino Lake Complex) in Lake County ... 2,500 acres - 60% contained

Lynch Fire, San Luis Obispo - 50 acres - 30 % Contained

Nuns / Adobe / Norbbom/ Pressley / Partrick Fires (Central LNU Complex): 46,104 acres - 10% contained

Pressley Fire east of Rohnert Park (Sonoma County) is now 473 acres and 10% contained.

La Porte Fire (Wind Complex) in Butte County: 6,139 acres - 69% contained

Cascade Fire (Wind Complex) in Yuba County: 10,120 acres - 75% contained

McCourtney Fire (Wind Complex) in Nevada County: 76 acres - 100% contained (Yay!)

Lobo Fire (Wind Complex) in Nevada County: 821 acres - 83% contained

Cherokee Fire in Butte County (near Oroville): 8,417 acres - 75% contained

Canyon 2 Fire in Orange County: 9,217 acres - 70% contained

Quarry Fire in Kern County: 183 acres - 100% ( [face_dancing] )

Silver Fire in Fresno County: 58 acres - 95% contained.

Honey Fire in Butte County, south of Paradise: 150 acres - 80% contained

Ridge Fire in Lake County near Clearlake: 87 acres - 100% contained. [face_dancing]

...and this last one bares mentioning, because passersby in Middletown caught it RIGHT as the perpetrators set it and stamped it out with extreme fervor. (I really hope they got the license plate number of that van. Geeze.)

Edit: Also, adding to this mess... we had a 4.0 earthquake. In the fire zone to our north. Today. Everyone's fine, and I was left wondering "we had a quake?" when my office manager came and asked me if I'd felt it. (Apparently, I was the only one to miss it. Hee.)

9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    DaenaBenjen42 likes this.
  10. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Yes, thanks for the update. Stay safe!

11. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000

So glad you're safe, DaenaBenjen42, please stay that way! :)

Were they all set deliberately, or do they know? Or was it just this one, set by copycats? Pity the poor firefighters; it's been a terrible year for fires. That other big one was deliberate too, wasn't it, those idiots throwing firecrackers? Seriously, what is wrong with people nowadays?!

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm glad you are safe DaenaBenjen42 and thanks for the update.

Also, if there was any doubt I live on Hoth: I woke in today to snow and it's still kinda going. Winter is not coming. Winter is here.

Hello darkness my old friend.

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Glad you're safe, DaenaBenjen42. We watched fires on television and they looked terrifying, indeed.

Thank you, everybody who comforted me and/or agreed with people who did - I get it that not everybody is good with this type of stuff. I spoke to a crisis centre volunteer just now and she helped me write down my problems and actually name them, since I seemed to be struggling with that. She also figured out that I have intrusive thoughts, not an actual death wish.

Mistress_Renata - we don't have such a system. I have not even seen my high school class after graduation - they invited me to the five year anniversary and I didn't come, they never invited me to the tenth and fifteenth. Advisors? Never had that. And as far as your and @Sith-I-5's suggestions go - I'm very, very fussy about maintaining lasting relationships with clients. I cut the branch I was sitting on more times that I can actually remember. It's either black or white and - yes - I know it's a distorted, abnormal way of thinking, but I can't help it.

Perhaps these folks at SITEL (now I can say what company it was) thought I was too creative for the job. All four of us were interviewed together, but I was the only on who had actual hobbies and ideas, and the one who talked most, by far. The interviewer was kind of, err, proud to tell us that she had no hobbies. Not sure if that was a sign of what she wanted or not.

Mistress_Renata, Gamiel and whiskers like this.
  14. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Sounds to me like they wanted someone who would have no life outside of work and would live, eat, and breathe the job so that they could work that person whatever hours they wanted whenever they wanted, even on short or no notice. I've occasionally heard of companies doing this, and it's most definitely not the kind of company I'd want to work for. And probably not the kind of job you would want either.

Ewok Poet and Mistress_Renata like this.
  15. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    To answer this: the cause of the wildland fires is still under investigation, but officials seemed to have reached a general consensus of "downed power lines due to wind." PG&E tried saying there were hurricane-force winds, but power lines have to be built here in California to withstand speeds of 56 MPH winds and the winds didn't go over 35 or so. (If we get a repeat of the "we are deeply sorry for our failures" commercials from PG&E out of this... after San Bruno, PG&E was required to do hours of community service. What we got were repeats of the same commercial over and over again, ad nauseum.) So... October windstorm, downed trees into power lines, and all you need is one spark. Just one, because we haven't gotten any real rain since May or June, so it's a tinderbox out there. The area where the Tubbs Fire is? In the summertime, the weeds get tall and they get dry. And the side of the road where those idiots tried setting another one off that got stopped in Middletown was right next to a dry uphill grassy meadow, prime for sparking a disaster. Even more of a disaster than we're already having, that is.

Basically? That thankfully caught fire in Middletown was being set by really dumb opportunists with no regard for their fellow man.

And last night I actually missed one. My bad...

Pocket Fire (Central LNU Complex) - Geyserville - 10,996 acres - 5% contained

And update on the Sulphur Fire: 65% containment, up from 60%. Yay!!!!!!!

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Not distorted at all. I probably could not do that either.

However, it is a school of thought that meeting people and networking can help one get ahead, and it sounded like you needed options.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  17. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000

36 people dead (that they know of), it will be a shock if they get off with "community service!"

18. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do people know how Occult Clubs in Japanese Schools work?

20. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Ha ha! I found it! Saw this on facebook yesterday and after adjusting the search on Youtube I found it!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    *walks in and looks around* Wait... this isn't the place I left?! What is this place!! :p

Hey all! I'm back from my deployment in Puerto Rico. It was frustrating, eye opening, and an all around crazy experience, but I'm glad to have gone and helped. I was working in what they call hospital decompression meaning we took patients from the hospital because they were overwhelmed. We didn't get out and about much, but what little I did, the devastation was awful.

I don't know that I can read a month's worth of posts so I hope everyone is doing well! I missed you guys!

whiskers- Congrats on the job!

Ewok Poet- I'm sorry you didn't get the job! That rejection can feel terrible but don't give up, there is something perfect for you out there

22. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

This reply got me thinking. A lot. I showed it to a couple of RL friends and my mother and they said that you more or less hit the nail on the head. While the shifts are strictly regulated up to two weeks ahead, people are expected to answer 30+ customer requests per day and I can kinda sorta get that somebody whose attention may be directed at many other things is not a good fit for them. But they should have disclosed that straight ahead, they could have asked us to talk about ourselves in our initial job application. This way, it's just plain devastating.

Thanks for your two cents - I can never be sure if something is a symptom of my condition or a legit reasoning that many other people might be capable of. I tend to assume that all the either/or things are uncommon in general population.

I definitely need options. And contacts. And strength of will...

Thank you. <3 I know and feel that it's out there, too; but I might as well lose my nerves before I come across it. It does not help that some employees here are suspicious about women over thirty who don't have children. They more or less think that we could get pregnant out of blue and use the job to get money for our pregnancy leave. :/

P.S. Just found this. :D

[​IMG]

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    *spins in throne-room chair*

Welcome back, Mav.

24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    *Stops fanning Briannakin with palm frond*

That cat just looks weird. In that the space between the face and the front paws just looks solid, not like two separate legs.

25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Welcome back, mavjade! You have a Star Wars trailer to watch! :D :D :D :D Here it is, so you don't have to hunt it down:

Lady_Misty and Ewok Poet like this.