main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Mark Hamill 'fundamentally disagreed' with Luke's story for TLJ

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by woj101, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Mark has lived with Luke for decades. He no doubt feels invested in the character and feels a bit protective of him. Understandable. Of course we could be given a Luke version of Obi-Wan... beloved but predictable. I would have enjoyed that. But I suspect I will LOVE a Luke who is still a fundamentally engaged character, serving a purpose in the story beyond supporting the development of Rey.

Jolee Bindo likes this.
  2. SmallTatooineSun

SmallTatooineSun Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2016
    I appreciate MH's views on what Luke should and shouldn't do. I'm glad he shared his opinion. It sounds to me like he initially thought 'No, this is not what Luke would do, but I'm a professional, so I will continue to give you 100%' and then later realized that he was okay with RJ's characterization of Luke.

Disney-era SW didn't seem to know what to do with Luke. I hate that in Bloodline and TFA he's just gone. I'm just glad RJ is giving Luke a story line here; giving him something to do. I'm sure it will be great...as long as they don't kill him off.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  3. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    The absence of Luke in post ROTJ stories is no doubt deliberate. I suspect once the films give some idea of what he was up to there will be plenty of material produced.

TCF-1138 and SmallTatooineSun like this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, what Luke has been up to during the thirty years between ROTJ and TLJ is supposed to be a secret to audience. I'm pretty certain we'll find out in TLJ, and then we'll probably have deluge of books and comics (and maybe, if all my wishes come true, an animated TV series) detailing his life during that time. :)

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    If they don't, they better have a good reason for keeping him alive. "He's Luke Skywalker" is not a good reason.

SunnyNelson likes this.
  6. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016

The upcoming Battlefront II's campaign features Luke during that period.

7. Manny_Bothanz

Manny_Bothanz Jedi Padawan

Jan 13, 2017
    I think that Star Wars fans have grown accustomed to Luke Skywalker as this aw shucks hero farm boy who saves the galaxy by redeeming his dad because that's how we've experienced the character for the last 30 years watching the same three movies. But that is not this character anymore. This character has been through a terrible heinous tragedy and is likely feeling planets of guilt and responsibility for not being able to prevent so much pain and terror and death that Kylo and the First Order have wrought. Not to mention what he allowed happen to his nephew. He probably feels like an immemse failure or at the very least is hurting in a way none of us could imagine. This new Luke Skywalker is dealing with some heavy **** I'd be prepared if I was you.

8. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    That wasn't his character by the time of ROTJ either.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  9. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    *emphasis mine
    I started watching The Clone Wars, and I heartily agree with this particular wish. Who wouldn't want to know more about those years? I think Luke's story is going to be worth the wait.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I bet all of his dialogue in the trailer is the only dialogue he has in TLJ. When he says "it's time for the Jedi to end" he falls out the window.

11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    He just evaporates from the script.

*poof*

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  12. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    LUKE: It is time for the Jedi to end.

*commits seppuku*

REY: Screw that. I'm going to continue the Jedi tradition.

LUKE'S GHOST: I fundamentally disagree with your decision!

13. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    Are we allowed to speculate in this thread? I imagine a few scenarios which could deflate the usual expectations of Luke's character in TLJ.
    What if he stopped using the force for decades and got rusty , maybe as weak as Obi-Wan in ANH or even worse where it could mean he lost faith in using the force for anything. Or if he became all paranoid like Yoda about the dark side and wary to use the force for anything and also stopped using a "weapon"-lightsaber, which would be a retread. Anyways without delving into the spoilerish aspects of the trailer..

14. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    That is a possibility and one I hadn't considered until now.
    It would be the biggest letdown in the history of cinema.

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I have a strong feeling Luke will die in TLJ. But I'm hoping all this hubbub about "darkside Luke" doesn't turn out to be true, cos if he DOES die in this one, there's not much room to see a Luke that I (and I'm assuming many others) have always wanted to see, which is a Jedi master who has achieved his potential and is the super powerful Jedi they spent the OT alluding to-someone to even give his father a run for his money.

I will take whatever LFL throws at us in terms of his story, cos after all it has the words "Star" and "Wars" attached to the title, but I'm sure I will be somewhat disappointed if we see Luke go backwards and turn dark, after he already faced that test in ROTJ - and passed it, with flying colors.....

Dandelo and Lulu Mars like this.
  16. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    My gut feeling is that Luke makes it through the sequel trilogy. I feel that (like Yoda) he deserves a natural end.

Dak Oolron and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    On Tatooine, the Twin suns setting behind him, the Force theme playing, and he disappears into the Force. Movie ends.

18. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

I never knew how much I wanted it until you said it... :_|

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, I've been saying that's how Ep9 needs to end ever since the ST was announced. It would be perfect.

20. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    It would have been perfect, if the Saga had been all about Luke.

It’s quite possible that Luke will die in TLJ and appear in EpIX as a ghost, but it’s equally possible that he’ll die in the next one.
    There’s even the possibility that he won’t die at all; that he’ll just disappear again after his deed is done.

That seems less likely to me, though.

21. SunnyNelson

Dec 23, 2013
    Why would he go back to Tatooine?

22. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    Watto.

It turns out Watto fathered Anakin.

I know.

Dak Oolron and SunnyNelson like this.
  23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I like the "Luke becoming one with the Force under the binary sunset" idea. If Luke survives the ST, that's how I'd like to see him go. I could see him on Tattooine, since that's where everything began for him. And things have a tendency to end where they began.

I would have him either willing to give up life (like Obi-Wan did) or already be dying somehow. Looking on, he would then see the force ghosts of Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin appear, who reaches out a hand to Luke in his last moments in some sort of "come with us" kind of way, and Luke takes one look back at the sunset before he closes his eyes, disappears and seconds later, re-emerges as a ghost standing next to his father/mentors as they greet him warmly before they all fade, leaving only the Tattooine sunset in the iris out.

Prisic Duskleap and TCF-1138 like this.
  24. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I'd vastly prefer it if the ending focuses on the current generation and whatever's going on with them at that point.
    But hey, that's me.

25. SunnyNelson

Dec 23, 2013
    As long as it doesn't end with a Teddy Bear luau, I'm good.

DARTH_BELO likes this.