main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Tomo-spiced karkana ribenes - the foodies' thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chyntuck, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Best food smells: caramelized onions and potatoes baking in the oven. Guaranteed to taste as awesome as their aromas.

Oh, apparently my palette has no taste... :cool: Underwest Donuts the revenge!

Ezio Skywalker and Chyntuck like this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, for those that don't know the backstory, this is where Underwest is located:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/27/n...eeking-sparkle-and-a-clean-slate.html?mcubz=3

You know the old jokes about "location, location, location" -- and, seriously, like the old Commerce Banks (you'd typically find them open odd hours opposite movie theaters, cash-only locations, and heavily-trafficked malls) this place is the primo location for a sweet and fatty snack.

This place has been open for seventy years and is basically the go-to for probably something like 50-60% of the taxis and livery cars, let alone other cars, in the NYC area. They were the second car wash built in NYC and still the largest. Open 24x7x365, though I can't swear they don't close for Christmas Eve. I mean this literally: if you drive, or have ever driven, a car in NYC while residing here... you know this place. It was in a Sesame Street episode for goodness' sake!

Chyntuck and Master_Lok like this.
  3. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    So thanks to seeing Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods Chendu episode today, I want some ma la: Sichuan peppercorn laced food. He can keep the offal and rabbit heads. Ironically, Eater NY posted a list of 20 Places to get your Sichuan Peppercorn fix today too. While I would skip the offal, the non-traditional Chocolate Chess Pie with said peppercorns from Four & Twenty Blackbirds (#19) is making me drool big time. I always loved the Chocolate Chili Ice cream at the defunct Coyote Grill (long before that became a thing) so that pie sounds amazing.

Chyntuck likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Right, there's a good one up by me for the ma po tofu (Legend 72). Strangely, one of the best Sichuan places in the city (a mini chain named Grand Sichuan has been shuttered and is theoretically reopening with a "new concept" but I'm heartbroken).

Some other suggestions.

Han Dynasty
    And some new place I can't remember the name of I believe downtown (I'll try and find it later).

Master_Lok likes this.
  5. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Bummer about Grand Sichuan, hopefully they will reopen with something that you enjoy. When I am a city girl again, I'l definitely start dipping my toes into more Chinese regional cuisine.

I've heard of Han Dynasty and looked at their menu on Caviar. Nice of hem to give a spice rating too.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I like this, "They must eat up Sichuanese..."
    I've heard of Birds of a Feather too. Thanks for the link.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I would kill for a restaurant that makes good shrimp pasta.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

AHA! I JUST SAW IT!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/dining/fall-restaurant-openings.html

[​IMG]

Ezio Skywalker and Master_Lok like this.
  10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Local Asian fusion place, Fhoo, was a bust (and I do not mean all the Buddha heads and such at each table.)

Probably not a good idea to get Crispy Rock Shrimp (as an app, which was coated in the traditional tempura batter), and Shrimp & Veg Tempura lunch (which was panko crumb coated.) Alas, both were bland.

To Fhoo's credit, the tempura came with Kewpie mayo. Now that I tried it, I can say, yes, I have had Kewipie mayo. So what does sweet mayo taste like? This batch felt like sweetened rice in a super creamy mayo base.

We'll stick with Wild Ginger whose shrimp tempura app with panko actually has a nice flavor (you can taste the sweetness of the shrimp), not traditional and thankfully, not bland. Oh well.

11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    After the debacle of Pure Food & Wine's criminally sad demise: Sarma's ex, Mathew Kenney, is finally bringing another vegan/plant-centric restaurant back to Manhattan, XYST. I absolutely adored PF&W's raw food & miss it terribly. I still dream about the raw lasagna, mallomars and the thai wraps; hoping Kenney updates those with a vengeance. Hopefully, XYST will be everything PF&W was food-wise; minus the pretension, price or scumdoggery.

Kenney has a vegan pizza place 00 & co. (not raw) somewhere downtown, but I haven't gone there yet. That needs to be changed once I am a city gal again.

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Oh, I forgot to tell you -- Sugar Factory's new artisanal donut place up by us has a vegan, gluten-free donut if you'd like to try it...

Chyntuck likes this.
  13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I will have to look into that if I am in that neck of the woods. I've been starting to eat chicken again, (since I've been eating eggs on and off all this time) along with fish. While PF&W was around, I did more raw and vegan. I vary it depending on what I feel I need.

Thanks for the note about those donuts.

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_laugh]

(Language warning....) you will now have a choice between classic Trix and it's replacement.

Okay, I am probably the only person who would be just fine with the "four shades of earth-toned bleh" [face_rofl] Trix (if it doesn't taste like cardboard.)

Juliet316 and Chyntuck like this.
  15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Dinner was blackened pork chops, baked sweet potatoes with honey and peach brandy and cauliflower with fontina cheese sauce. These are the days I love cooking.

Also have to confess, until recently I thought all spices were equal. Recently started using a local spice company Penzey and I cannot say enough about how much more good spices can make a meal. Love their blend Sunny Paris!

xblackout, Chyntuck and Master_Lok like this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Taco Bell testing out Kit Kat quesadilla

[​IMG]

Master_Lok and Chyntuck like this.
  17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Okay, hive mind, I need help please. What would you cook for a very old person who 1) just came out of a few days in the hospital, 2) needs to be inspired to eat more, and 3) shouldn't be eating heavy stuff with lots of butter and gravy? I've got all sorts of options for vegetable stews, but I'm looking for different ideas of stuff that's both appetising and reasonably light.

18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

LOL with the stunt food. Seriously, that should be a chocolate tortilla too.

Erm...o_O Bourdain's girlfriend is Dario Argento's daughter, Asia?!? [face_laugh] Damn...we live in strange times.

Chyntuck - I wish I had something to suggest, but my veggie food is rather heavy.

Chyntuck likes this.
  19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Omelettes come to mind if he/she likes eggs. How about a filet of salmon (or other fish) and steamed vegetables?

Chyntuck likes this.
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    When you're Filipino...

[​IMG]

Ezio Skywalker and Chyntuck like this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm not so what is that?

Chyntuck likes this.
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It's lumpia. A Filipino spin on the Chinese eggroll. There are many different ways to prepare it, but the typical method is to used an eggroll type of wrapper and stuff it with pork, chopped onions and carrots and deep fry it. My mom make her lumpia using less eggroll wrapper and with ground beef and mixed vegetables and deep fries it.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Huh..Sounds good. I like egg rolls/spring rolls - depends on the filling.

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    That sounds pretty good Sith_Sensei__Prime :)

A few things I made for my grandmother who had a health scare two weeks ago and needed tasty stuff to convince her to eat more:

Roast chicken with butternut squash instead of potatoes. I tossed the squash cubes with garlic, 1/2 tsp coriander and cumin each, salt, pepper and olive oil and added them to the baking dish approx 25 minutes before the chicken was ready.

Cubed potato, cubed butternut and sautéd onion in a baking dish, pour on top a mix of eggs, milk, yoghurt, grated cheese, salt and pepper, sprinkle with parmesan, bake at 200°C for approx 45 minutes. It turned out really neat.

I cut fresh salmon in thin slices and marinated it for 6 hours or so in lemon juice, then added it to a salad of chopped red cabbage and green apples. For the dressing I mixed oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt, pepper plus enough strained yoghurt to make it really thick. It's based on a recipe I found online, but I didn't save the link and I can't find it now.

Kayanas, i.e. scrambled eggs with tomatoes and feta cheese. Peel, seed and slice the tomatoes, put a bit of olive oil in a frying pan and cook on low heat until soft. Increase the heat, add crumbled feta cheese and cook just long enough for it to begin to melt (there should still be chunks of cheese) then break the eggs and scramble. You can also add pepper and/or oregano. The really cool thing with this (other than it having that heavenly taste of childhood for me) is that it will be runny even when the egg is cooked through.

25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Once I am a city girl again (reemployed), I will hit up restaurants: Marta, Empellon, LadyBird, Mission Chinese. I wish there was a Hong Kong style place that served the Lobster Mountain as seen in the link.

I've been utterly drooling at Marta's Zucca Fritta for at least an hour now. Yep, it's Fall. Time to get the carbs on.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Chyntuck like this.