main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One After Rogue One, what's the best viewing order?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2016.

1. jarjarbinksthegungan

jarjarbinksthegungan Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2017
    I would watch it in this order:

The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Rogue One, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and The Force Awakens.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm still of the opinion that it's generally best to watch the Saga in release order, as one non-linear multi-part whole, with the standalone Story films watched on their own as supplementary material. That said, the Saga marathon me, my girlfriend and roommates are doing prior to The Last Jedi will have Rogue One at the end, as kind of an epilogue. It feels like a nice way to honor the 40th anniversary of the original film, to finish off the marathon with a movie that's pretty much a love letter to it, and it lets the marathon come full-circle right back to where we started. Also, we all just really like Rogue One.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Right, that’s called “chronological order.” :)

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Maybe it's a coincidence. :p But yeah, chronological is my preference too (which I've said in here before). However, in actuality, I much more often just watch whatever I (or my son and I) feel like watching, since we're both well versed in the overall story... and I don't get to introduce SW to new viewers very often.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  5. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Yup. Often my approach is just "I'd like to see the Rogue One prologue right now, or the Hoth escape, etc." A craving for parts of the the movies that then draw me into watching the whole thing.

Though lately my wife, who's not a Star Wars fan at all but absolutely loves Rogue One (finds it to be a nearly perfect film with no wasted scenes) is often up for a rewatch, so that film's pretty much on a loop.

6. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Well that's cool... my wife is also not a SW fan, and she hasn't seen RO. [face_dunno]

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  7. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    You might be surprised at her response. My wife resisted even bothering to watch RO at first, as she doesn't like any of the other films. She's also a very serious cineaste (and a feminist). And she was absolutely floored by RO. She also finds Jyn to be the best female character in a major tentpole film that she's yet seen.

Despite the similarities to the OT, Rogue One is told in a very different mode and style than all the other Star wars films. It's far more naturalistic, less mythic (more mimetic) and the pulpiness is restrained (refreshing sprinkles of it from K2SO, Baze/ Chirrut and Raddus, for example). And that healthy blend of realism, pops of pulpy fun and mysticism, and an elegantly-delivered message of sacrifice and hope, just really resonated with her.

EHT likes this.
  8. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    It's interesting, yeah... I also think my wife would probably like RO more than the other SW movies that she has seen. But I just know that it being SW would kind of rule it out for her. :p

9. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Tell her my story, and see if she bites!

EHT likes this.
  10. Dead Chiznuk

Dead Chiznuk Your Friendly Neighborhood Living-Impaired Mod star 1

Sep 28, 2016
    My wife has seen Rogue One... and hates it. It makes me very sad. :( :p

11-4D and EHT like this.
  11. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    [​IMG]

12. A Corpse of Disapproval

A Corpse of Disapproval Severed Head Admin star 3 Staff Member Manager

Sep 16, 2015
    My wife loves Rogue One and everything else with Star Wars in its title. And she also loves that gif of David Tennant as the Doctor. And knows that it is a gif of David Tennant as the Doctor.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I have no wife. I'm married to Star Wars.

Zer0, Dead Chiznuk, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  14. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

I don't know what to do with that.

15. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I bet she’s a total Trekkie.

Aroooo-Dion and vncredleader like this.
  16. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    One can be both. I am, for example.

Pro Scoundrel and PCCViking like this.
  17. A Corpse of Disapproval

A Corpse of Disapproval Severed Head Admin star 3 Staff Member Manager

Sep 16, 2015
    This is why we promoted you. Your time belongs to the service of our forums.

Dead Chiznuk, Gigoran Monk and EHT like this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    That explains the restraining bolt.

19. Aroooo-Dion

Aroooo-Dion Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 27, 2017
    In all seriousness, my non-fan wife enjoyed R1, but TFA was the film that actually let her understand the appeal of Star Wars. R1 just isn't as accessible, IMHO--the first 10 minutes are just a bit too disorientating for a lot of people.

Thinking more about the order, I'd probably start new viewers with TFA, then go to R1, then the OT. The PT would be an optional extra.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    You'd start with TFA, for someone who's never seen Star Wars?

EHT likes this.
  21. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Everyone should start with the first movie, IMO.

22. Aroooo-Dion

Aroooo-Dion Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 27, 2017
    Yes. It's currently the best entry point, IMHO. It's not the best film, but neither is ANH.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Chronological release date first movie, or episodic first movie? :)

24. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Release date, of course. Prequels are optional, might be better to leave that story to your imagination anyways.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    It really just depends on taste. For my non-fan wife, who likes historical dramas and realistic heroic tales, and doesn't enjoy the corniness of pulp genre fare, Rogue One is far more accessible to her than TFA is. She just found TFA too cheeseball and cartoonish, while Rogue One felt like a real world with real characters are interesting problems.

So for some non-fans, TFA is a great introduction. And for others, Rogue One is. You just have to assess what kinds of things people like, and then go from there.