main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Comics JTTLJ: The Legends of Luke Skywalker

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Apr 14, 2017.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Caved and went to Amazon US, but not just for that book. I had a few non-SW books that I haven't been able to find on the UK site so I got them as well. Estimated delivery date is Nov 10.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This is a little like saying you didn't like Tarkin because it was about Tarkin.

It's a little weird to call a book weak for not being a completely different book than it is. It was never a "canon Luke info" book.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    So Star Wars universe has people making theories about jar jar and darth vader being the same person. I imagine people looking at Leia after Bloodline and being like "so she is Jar Jar Binks's daughter?"

4. Rogue Seven

Rogue Seven Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    Not really. This is me saying this Luke book wasn't ENOUGH about Luke for my liking....in a book that bears his name in the title.
    Good thing that I called it weak "for me" then and didn't generalize that meant weak for everyone else. Out of all the books of New Canon I've read..this was the weakest. In fact, I'll couch it in even better terms. I got MORE out of Jason Fry's Weapon of a Jedi than I got out of this entire book, as a Star Wars fan.

Interesting. Does it need to be designated as such beforehand and peddled that way or something?

From my POV this was a book about Luke Skywalker and what he might have gotten up to after ROTJ...fertile ground that only really the Shattered Empire comic has touched on thus far (and his Screaming Citadel adventures with Aphra). I don't think it was out of the realm of possibility to expected that it contain some solid info about what Luke got up to in that time. YMMV.

5. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    We have never seen Vader and Jar Jar in the same room...#kyloworshipsjarjar

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Jedi Jessy and DarthSienna like this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They prompted and pitched the book as a series of tall tales about Luke. Books come with publicity summaries on websites and in the books.

So yes, you are literally criticizing the book for not being something it never said it was.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

J_K_DART, DarthSienna, Vthuil and 3 others like this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    They promoted and pitched the book as a series of tall tales about Luke. Books come with publicity summaries on websites and in the books.

So yes, you are literally criticizing the book for not being something it never said it was.

If you want a canon Luke book, you want a canon Luke book. That's not unreasonable. But not liking a book because it isn't something it was never supposed to be... that's a tad unreasonable.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

J_K_DART, Vthuil, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Also, expecting a big canon Luke book before The Last Jedi, which will have much in that respect, is .... It was never going to happen.

But it was never marketed as that either.

J_K_DART and DarthSienna like this.
  9. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I don't understand this comparison. Are you saying Weapon of a Jedi is supposed to be bad?

Daneira, Vthuil and Jedi Ben like this.
  10. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I expected that these would be stories but also hoped to like them more. The tide one was by far my fave. Jabbas palace my least. I give them credit for being entertaining, but it didn’t expand my understanding of Luke or give me a definitive view of how the galaxy sees him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    (my emphasis)

But how would that ever be possible ahead of The Last Jedi? They're not going to let anything affect that so to expect this now just seems, at best, strange.

J_K_DART and DarthSienna like this.
  12. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    But they do give some of it in TFA with Rey’s description and they give the view of a few people on a ship. Telling the story differently could have given a wider view.

I get not wanting to give away character development for TLJ but stories about the search for understanding the force ;like the tides) or more of his adventures to do good (droid story) would have interested me more.

I can see why the approach used would be fun but I think understanding some of what Luke did and how his philosophy was shaped would be interesting. They don’t have to give away the academy destruction or even his training of jedi but could build up to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The pattern was set with TFA, after the movie or in the movie, you get info but before? You get very, very little.

I'd prefer it wasn't so but that really does look to be the way of it.

The general suspicion is there will be Luke stories that are more definitive next year.

J_K_DART likes this.
  14. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I don't even see how that view is possible. The book was about how the galaxy viewed Luke. There just wasn't a mono-view.

Much more realistic. How would someone like Luke not be a myth? Stover explored this same thing.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

J_K_DART, DarthSienna and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I think a lot of it can be taken as canon but some has to be taken with a grain...or even a ton...of salt.

grain of salt....it was NOT Luke on Jakku...but a scavenger with a beard in a cloak. When the Imperial gunner confronted him as being Luke the scavenger used that to motivate the others to save themselves. That is why he said "We're all Luke Skywalker."

ton of salt...I don't think Lugubrious Mote was real....and if she was...she is as deluded as Redy.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Lot of credence to this...

Would Luke have even had a beard by Jakku? The Battlefront 2 trailer seems to hint that he still looked much like he did in ROTJ, and was thus beardless. But it does make one wonder why the Imperial would've assumed he was Luke, then?

I wonder how soon after ROTJ Luke grew a beard, then.

kalzeth likes this.
  17. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Came out on Halloween. Unfortunately it seems more of a 'trick than a 'treat

18. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    I honestly do not get the responses here.

This is one of my favorite books of the new canon. Ken Liu is a tremendously beautiful writer, and his reverence for Luke as a character is obvious.

I could care less if these stories actually happened or not. They're beautiful, and they depict Luke's desire to help others, to teach, to learn, how he inspires others, how he's more concerned about honor than reputation. There's a paragraph in the Deluge story that basically lays out why he went to Ahch-To instead of fighting with the Resistance. If this book is indicative of how Episode VIII will treat Luke, we have nothing to worry about.

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I feel like Star Wars fans - EU fans in particular - have this... discomfort with ambiguity that doesn't really make sense.

20. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    I understand the desire to know what Luke has been doing since Endor, but there's so much time for that after Episode IX is over.

I would much rather have this book than a Wookieepedia article about what Luke has been doing.

21. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I don't see it so much as discomfort with ambiguity and instead more as cabin fever over what exactly Luke's been doing between films mixing with a frustration at knowing *why.* We all know why we've got no concrete information on Luke in the interbellum period, since they want to be totally open to almost any possibilities during or after TLJ. It's kind of like knowing why a wrestler in WWE keeps losing to another when they've got a PPV match upcoming; for some people, there's an inherent frustration to knowing you're in a holding pattern with a particular character until a certain date, but the creator still wants some money on the property or doesn't trust you to remember the character while they're off screen.

It also does constrast with what fans were used to from Legends, but not neccesarily in a bad way, since the story group clearly has film and tv centric priorities in terms of what to control and quality control as well.

kalzeth likes this.
  22. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    There's a paragraph at the end of the space slug story where Luke talked about "lure" and accepting others sacrifices that I feel could also be an additional "hint". Interesting that he used the word "tide" too over there suggesting that it was after the Deluge story.

J_K_DART likes this.
  23. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Yea I think I'm going to have to do the same. I usually prefer the paperback and Egmont in the UK is the publisher for most of the middle grade novels but they are very hit and miss about when they publish the books. Ahsoka took nine months, join the resistance has not been taken up at all.

For all other UK folk keep an eye on this the Egmont website is updated monthly which tells me no publishing date for this book this month.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm in the UK, so is J_K_DART, we both have the US hardback - you just have to buy from someone other than Amazon!

What does Bezos have on you people to compel this loyalty?

J_K_DART and Stymi like this.
  25. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    WITH SPOILERS