main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Sorry for the dp

So I am about 100 pages into "Children of the Jedi" and I am so bored. Here's the thing, I don't know if I should just go through the wookepeadia article on it or power through. Does it get better and/or is it worth finishing or should I move onto the next book chronologically?

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, not really. Some of the Leia stuff is alright, and some of the stuff on the Eye of Palpatine is so wacky it's actually kinda funny, but overall the book's a bit of a slog.

vncredleader likes this.
  3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Grievousdude and vncredleader like this.
  4. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    How could you suggest that?
    He's Duros.

Thank you so very much for that.

vncredleader likes this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Is Children the one with Luke trapped in a ship run amok with giant dandelions? And by that I mean the dandelions were running amok, not Luke, who was mainly just taking his sweet time to explore the ship and be like "whoh dandelions, chill, give me a quest? No? You're not here for any purpose but just generally run amok? Ok fine I'll sweet talk the ship like R2."

I dunno guys that one wasn't so bad. The Gamorreans were cool. Would have made a better video game.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Those were the Affytechans, who according to the Wook "stank to the human nostril". There were a bunch of weird-as-**** species aboard the Eye of Palpatine. Like I said, giving Gamorreans increased intelligence was so wacky it was great. Case in point-
    [​IMG]

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I honestly never did learn even the slightest thing about the so called Children of the Jedi because my brain was damaged by severe boredom. Even right after I read it, I still had no idea about any of it. I had no idea who or what they were, where they went or if Leia ever found them or what.

Where were they going? I don't quite know. What does it matter where people go? Down to the wood where the bluebells grow: anywhere, anywhere. I don't know.

vncredleader likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The implication was that the Empire found them, captured them, and turned at least one to the Dark Side - Roganda Ismaren.

9. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    I'm planning to do a massive complete-ish Legends marathon. Some I've read before, many I haven't. Would you guys recommend reading in publication or chronological order or some combination and why? I wasn't sure if this warranted it's own thread or if it belonged here.

10. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd say publication order, but try to group trilogies and series together, as many of them had standalone books released between volumes. There's very much a "feel" of the various eras of SW publishing; the 90s are probably the most distinct because it was all uncharted territory with near-unlimited freedom to just write whatever. Once the prequels came everything changed and there was a different sort of cohesiveness to the books that were coming out, and that only increased as the Del Rey era continued.

Current canon books you could probably read chronologically, since there's so fewer of them.

11. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    That sounds like good advice. I did think you can't go wrong with release order since that's how they were intended to be read. Grouping trilogies and series together also makes sense.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know the name of the creature Luke rides on?

[​IMG]

13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

I just finished a Legends read through last month, reading only the Del Rey/Bantam books (so none of the Galaxy of Fear/YJK books). It took me over two years, but there were times I either read other books in the meantime, was too busy, or had trouble remaining motivated. With 153 Legends "adult" novels, it'll be a long, hard slog.

I did it chronologically, starting with Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void and finishing up with Crucible. It would probably be too much of a hassle for me to try do read them in publication order. :p

14. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    Do you feel that doing chronological order was a satisfying experience?
    I am mostly doing the adult novels and a lot of the comics, I’ve been picking up the collected columns. I’ll do audiobooks on the ones that are unabridged.

15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I feel like chronological is a much more satisfying experience only if you've already read everything. Like, when I started out I just read whatever I could get my hands on, and then read the new stuff as it came out. Then years later I went back and did the chronological readthrough. There's certain books that just work better if read in the context in which they were released, and not when they're supposed to take place, IMO.

PCCViking likes this.
  16. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I don't believe they've been given an official name yet, no; until then, the Wook is referring to them as "unidentified long-legged mounts". Gareth Edwards called them "space camels".

I have a weird little hope that they'll be given a name referencing Salvador Dalí, since they call to mind his elephants for so many of us. :)

Gamiel likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The image of the animal kinda resembles the line drawings of a person riding a beast that are in the Legends of Luke Skywalker book. However the drawings are quite small. For those with the book they are at the beginning and on the pages separating the stories. If it is the same beast it's called a fathier. From what I've seen they are kind of the equivalent of racehorses on Earth and they are raced on Canto Bight.

Gamiel likes this.
  18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    More satisfying than trying to do it in published order. Now, I have the Essential Guide to Reading, which does list all of the novels in published order up until Scoundrels. But the Legends novels published after that (or Mercy Kill) aren't included.

Endor_boy likes this.
  19. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I read a book some time ago. I'm quite sure it was an RPG sourcebook/campaign guide. It detailed what Stormtrooper ID prefixes meant.
    TK was for normal Stormtroopers.
    TD was for "Sand Troopers".
    TS was for scouts.
    And so on. Does anyone know which book this was?

20. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    not sure if this is the place too ask or not but how does poe dameron end up getting off jakku?

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Novelization shows the answer (summary: he meets up with somebody, and they give him a lift off).

Jedi Knight Fett and bizzbizz like this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I started reading the books in 2003, around the time the NJO ended, and I made an attempt to read them all in chronological order. And I can say first-hand that was a terrible mistake. There were plots and characters I didn't appreciate nor understand. Some books -- Rogue Planet particularly comes to mind -- were basically unreadable and at the time I didn't know why, and in that case wouldn't until I got to the NJO.

The ONLY books that worked... interestingly?... in chronological order as opposed to publishing order were the ones with Zsinj in them, and even then in retrospect, I don't know if they were "better" chronologically, because I think everyone else who read Courtship first enjoyed the Allston Zsinj plot because it was a zany take on an otherwise 2-bit character. For me it was the "rise and fall of the mini-Zsinj empire", although the "fall" is sort of meh after the trauma caused in books like Iron Fist.

23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I think one of the best arguments for experiencing the EU for the first time chronologically is the Han Solo trilogy. It has so many shout outs to older stories from Bantam, Dark Horse and I think even Marvel that take place later in the timeline, and they wouldn't be as notable if one wasn't familiar with those older stories.

And then there's Lost Tribe of the Sith, which if you read the anthology toward the beginning of a read-through, you'll barely remember stuff from it by the time you reach Fate of the Jedi. Same with Tales of the Jedi and the Jedi Academy trilogy.

Endor_boy and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003

Yes! Definitely those. I didn't get all the connections when I read them, especially the Hutts. Although what was really weird was Durga -- Durga was pretty interesting in the Han Solo books, but was a regular 2nd rate Dr. Evil-style evil in Darksaber. That was sort of the same fate of Zsinj -- they were more interesting and better developed in later books written by other authors.

BTW when I referred to "chronological" I meant in-universe, not publication order in case there was any confusion there -- I think I started with Cloak of Deception. Again, a book I was unduly harsh on because I didn't know a fifth of what Luceno was referencing.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is there a space version of the coast guard in SW?